“Great appartment but badly situated.”

Vista Dorada Apartments
Ranked #203 of 218 Hotels in Maspalomas
Reviewed 21 March 2011

There are some 200+ apartments situated on the slopes of Sonnenland district. The apartment was clean, comfortable and spacious. We were very pleased to find plenty of very hot water and a good shower and bath. The beds were cosy and comfortable. From our terrace we were able to breakfast looking out toward Maspalomas and the dunes.
However, we won't be going back or recommending this place purely because of the location. It takes about 45 minutes to walk to the beach and at least 30 minutes to walk to the town. Our apartment was lower down the slope and it took 10 minutes to walk up to reception. When returning from a day out there is a hill to climb to get to the entrance plus of course the walk down to the appartment. There was a gate a few yards from our room which would have saved the up/down walks morning and evening, but perversely this can only be accessed by owners of appartments. On 3 occasions we were able to slip through in the wake of such a person, to our great relief.
Value is excellent and I guess this reflects the location. Cockroaches? Two very dozy specimens easily ejected.
If placed at he bottom of the Sonnenland hill this would be an ideal place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 February 2010

I stayed in the Vista Dorada in November 2008 and found the only problem we had was with the cockroaches, one morning we had 8 in our kitchen area!! However the apartment was clean and tidy although could probably do with a bit of redecorating and the garden area was ok but I wouldn't have liked to have a small child there as there were lots of cats leaving little presents on the grass and although this was cleaned up daily it could still have been a hazard to little ones, In 2008 there was a courtesy bus down to the town which ran regularly and although sometime overcrowded was a quick way of getting there, the bar staff were great and the restaurant manager was trying his hardest to increase the custom...The food was really good and there was a nice little bar by the pool...In November 2009 I returned, no poolside bar except one evening a week, the restaurant seemed deserted, no courtesy bus, I found that it only took me half hour to walk into town however this was through a park with little lighting and maybe not the place for a single female to be walking but I came across no problems...Only 1 cockroach in 2009 :0) ...The local restaurants all served pretty much the same menu which was reasonably priced but got a bit dull after a few days...

The people are lovely and the weather was great considering it was November...I plan to go back again this March and again in November just to get away from the rotten weather here....

I found that the value for money was good as long as you're not planning on spending time in the apartment or planning on cooking there as I would not fancy sharing my kitchen with the roaches...

• Stayed: November 2009
Reviewed 27 December 2009

The hotel is situated up in the hills about a 25 min walk to both Maspalomas and Playa del Ingles. All the guests I talked to thought it would be closer to the beach, so be aware. Other than that it is cheap and the standard is OK. Locals use it as a holiday resort , so it can be crowded in public holidays and weekends.
There is a free bus service to Maspalomas beach leaving 3 times each morning returning back in the evening. Note there are 2 exits from the hotel on upper in the middle of nowhere and 1 lower at least 10 mins closer on foot to maspalomas and playa del ingles. Plenty of shops and even a mall close by the hotel. As all apartments are on ground level you have to expect the odd cockroach. The hotel is not new but the standard is OK. Reception staff speaks good english.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 November 2009

At first glace looked lovely,we had our own garden, kitchenette, bathroom, bedrooom & living area.
However,on closer inspection we were very disapointed! Location was MILES from anything! There was only 2 electrial points(not good for two girls trying to get ready to go out!) we had to pay for the TV, which, when we did, wasnt even english! The kitchenette was dangerious,we couldnt even turn our hob off, had to flip the fuse everytime we wanted to turn it on/off. The freezer didnt work, as we found out (melted icecream, not good!!).The beds were rock solid,with a tiny, flimsy joke-for-a-pillow!
We didnt have any hot water for our enire stay &didnt even have water for one day! However we did inform staff&they did retified this as quick as possible. We got clean towels once during our stay, luckily we had brought extra ourselves.

Every room was bug-riddened!we had ants&cockroachs all over our sofa, curtains, window cills ,floors, cuboards!You name it,they were there!!it was disgusting! Had to push our beds together into the centre of the room to get away from the walls! The last night we even debated going to the airport to sleep! house keeping was apauling,I honestly do not know what she did when she came in but she certainly didnt clean!

The garden was littered with broken plates. Make sure you have bug spray!!!! and lots of money for taxis, you honestly cannot walk anywhere! Also, make sure you dont have a fire, there are bars on the window and the nearest fire exitingusier is outside on your neighbour's wall!

The pool on the other hand was lovely, cleaned daily & staff were very friendly, especially david in the resturant ( we love u david!) this is was what made it bareable & our good sense of humour! - ive seen another review about loud music being played by the pool, this is true however, gave him one of our own CDs to blast out,so didnt mind atall, party on!

Weather was amazing, 31-15c in November! clubbing in Playa de Ingles was great, although watch out for the annoying PRs trying to drag you into their shabby bars & sell you tickets. (rodgers bar in particular!!!) Holiday world was a joke! hilarious though! do not come here if you dont have a sense of humour!!!! youve been warned!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank leannekg
Reviewed 30 July 2009

I had stayed at Vista Dorada in 2001 and I had just loved it. 8 years later I finally had the chance to get back there (with girlfriend this time) and I can't express well enough how disappointed this second experience was.

Two things were unchanged: the location, miles away from the beach, and the rooms, that even back in 2001 were somehow old and in urgent need of refurbishment. So, basically, the minus sides of this aparthotel were still there, while gone were its pluses!!!

I must admit that -as usually happens- what had made my first stay at Vista Dorada great was its staff. They were simply superb: bar-staff, entertainers, waiters and all. Even today, 8 years later, I can still recall the names of (at least) two of them: the restaurant manager (Javi) and an amusing Italian guy working at the pool bar (Marco). Don't give me wrong, I didn't expect them to be still there, but one would think that good staff must be replaced with equally good staff. Well, it isn't the case at Vista Dorada. Not at all!

Quality food was another point for Vista Dorada in 2001; today you are lucky if you get any food at all.

I will admit that my harsh judgment might be biased by my previous excellent experience, but, hey, it was supposed to be the same hotel! As for my girlfriend, I believe that -after having seen such a ruin of a hotel with her own eyes- will think I made up all the nice stories I'd told her about the place!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2009

Hey, this series of private bungalows on a hillside is great value with plenty of upmarket travellers / decent people here.
I only had one single issue, and that is that they change your towels every 4 days. So look after them. Don't clean the bathroom floor with the last one and find out too late, because you'll be drying your face with it! I've never seen such a long "towel cycle" but there you go.
As for the people on this site complaining about chalets by the pool are the best - nonsense the ones at the top have the best view.
And they had condensation? Every heard of ventilation (leave a gap in the windows - there is a vented secured shutter there anyway).
What's that? - the cockroaches were huge? Well, they don't have a winter here, the cockroaches strolled though the patio door you left open all day.
Come on folks, this place was clean and great value.
My room was huge with 5 beds and kitchen with all the utensils.
You can walk to PDI in 25 mins.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank MrCheapAsia
Reviewed 11 February 2009

i've been to vista dorada from 30 january till 3 february 2009,i just paid 99 euro for my staying
this 4 days and it has costed me 12 euro the food cause you have a nice kitchen in the bungalow
where you can cook and instead of all the other hotels i didn't have to pay for the double room in wich
i was but just for one person,plus the hotel is big but you'll never walk 1 km to reach the reception,if you
want to spend more then you can go to riu palace but for that money it was perfect,clean,nothing was missing,the
bungalows are clean and there's a pool area and a supermarket in the hotel.
"We complained to reception however no better rooms were available"......in the complaint below they forgot to write how
much they've paid for it!!what do you want for 25 euro per day?the weather was good 21-28 degrees.
there are per owners in the hotel but you can't hear any noise,just an other lie in the complaint below as you can not even judge
a hotel in half hour.if you ask in the reception there's a FREE bus going to the beach of maspalomas.
if you just watch the comments next page you'll find a lot of positive comments.
i use to work 7 years as entertainer in hotels and getting from the direction the guest comment
every week i found out that the people that we use to call "the poors english" the ones they go in holiday in low season because is cheaper
they use to complaint all the time and write lots of lie too.
this hotel in wich i paid 25 euro per day it was PERFECT!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business