“Basic with bugs”

Ranked #203 of 220 Hotels in Maspalomas
Scotland
“Basic with bugs”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2008

We have just returned from two weeks in these apartments and were disappointed with the standard of accomodation there. We appreciated that it was 2 key and did not expect luxury for the price we paid but would not go back there again. Luckily my parents were staying in Maspolomas also and we spent 95% of our time at their apartments (Maspolomas Lago). The apartments are a long walk to beach (45) mins and are in dire need of renovation with paint peeling everywhere and broken tiles and worktop surfaces-even the pool did not look clean. The rooms were cleaned 5 days a week but again the standard was poor (mainly just the beds got made) We had a variety of bugs within the room including baby cockroaches crawling out of the element of the kettle and ants piling into the room through a loose plug socket! We may have been unlucky and to be fair did not complain to staff (as we were at my parents mostly) Perhaps things would have improved if we had.However I certainly would not recommend these apartments and by spending just a bit more would recommend the Maspolomas Lago Bungalows,

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank kmacinnes3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2008

Just stayed at the apartments vista dorada sonnenland, and was pleasantly surprised. for 1 key, the apartments are clean presentable and have a good sized pool, which one was heated.
My son and i stayed self catering and were next door to our friends. Our apartment had a kettle but no toaster so had fried bread with our cooked brreakfast, all cooking utensils were supplied. there was a little breakfast bar seating four, and a garden table outside on the patio. Our apartment had a nice little garden with fantastic veiws of the mountains, the town and the sand dunes. Our friends next door had a lovely corner plot, alowing sun in the garden all day. I would recommend self catering, but not to eat at the onsite restaurant, our friends ate there and the chips were like cardboard, and was rather pricey. There is a restaurant oppostite on the left of the apartments which is reasonable with a supermarket next door although being a spar that supermarket wasn;t cheap, however walk up the road to the right and do a left and there is a parade of shops with a restaurant and a reasonable supermarket with greater choice.
The apartments are situated up a hill, and operate a curtousy bus to the beach every hour. However if you were to walk, as we did it took 30 minutes to the lighthouse. we also walked from there to Faro 2 shopping centre, a 20 minute walk. Cabs are just under 4 euros to playa del ingles and meloneras.
If you love cats as we do there are loads on site, and they come and sit on your patio. (some apartments have a balcony). the reception staff are friendly and speak good english, and let you have a go at using your spanish.

The pool area was very quiet all week until Saturday when the spanish arrived for the weekend, until then most days my son had the pool to himself. There are a lot of winding paths to the apartments but this did not bother us, we considered we were getting brown and fit.

all in all we were very pleased with the accomodation, it had everything we needed for a self catering holiday. (a toaster would have been nice though). the weather ranged from 29degrees in the day to 19 at night, so very pleasant, the apartments do not have airconditioning but stayed cool enough.

• Liked — it was cheap,clean and had everything we needed. And loads of cats!
  • Disliked — no toaster!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank BagpussEssex
Jersey, Channel Islands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2008

I did'nt read any reviews until after I'd booked the holiday, so I was a little apprehensive when I read some of the less than complimentary reviews about these apartments - so much so that by the time the coach dropped us off (the end of the line!) I remember thinking "I wish I'd chosen one of those places we'd stopped at earlier".
It was 2330 hours when I checked in, I was given a map of the complex with my apartment highlighted, & after a couple of wrong turns, lugged my heavier-than-it-needed-to-be suitcase to bungalow No.187.
I switched on the light and...was pleasantly surprised by what I saw. A nicely laid-out place, clean, quite spacious & in pretty good condition. Shower/toilet was basic but clean & had plenty of towels. Kitchenette was fine - kettle & toaster included. Doors & windows were quite secure, with a large balcony.
In daylight, I saw that all the bungalows were set on a quite steep hill, among gardens & trees, in a residential area a mile or so from the sea & the outskirts of Playa del Ingles.
Reception were quite pleasant & helpful, the pool area was never crowded, the mini-supermarket is a little sparse, but opposite the reception across the road is a Spar, though a better supermarket is about 400m up the road (then turn left & it is at end of side road on the right hand side).
Alcohol & tobacco incredibly cheap- buy locally rather than at Airport.
Did'nt really go out or eat out - there are a few restaurants nearby but if you want bars, clubs etc you'll have to go into Playa del Ingles - taxis are quite cheap.
I had a great week here & unless you are very picky or expect luxury for £265 per week (including flights) then I think you'll like it.
By the way, I went Self-Catering, but the place does do Half /Full Board - but I believe it is'nt anything special so be prepared!

• Liked — Pleasant surroundings
  • Disliked — Checking out & leaving!
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank Canaryjunkie
Liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2007

Spent two weeks in Vista Dorada in December (2 adults no children) booked through xcapewithus.com

Accommodation is basic but was spot on for what we needed - somewhere to cook, wash, sleep & chill out in the evenings, and was cleaned surprisingly regularly (seemed to be most days).

Didn't really use the pool & restaurant etc as we tended to be out in the day and did our own thing of an evening, but from what we saw they looked ok.

TV in the bungalow had various free channels in spanish, german and english (CNN) and also had some metered "pay per view" channels such as sky one and sky news.

The complex is within reasonable walking distance of holiday world and Faro 2, and is about a 20-30minute walk to Maspalomas beach. There are also buses nearby that you could catch to get to the beach if needed. There's a spar over the road on Calle Einstein which proved very useful!

I would suggest that it's not ideal for those with very young children or mobility problems as it is on a hill and would probably be a bit difficult.

Overall, I would say if you are expecting luxury then you will be disappointed, but perhaps expecting luxury for what worked out at around £8 a night might be a bit misguided...when you compare it to some of the luxury hotels in Maspalomas/Meloneras where you will be paying £200 a night, you have to get your expectations into perspective...;-)

However, if you are looking for reasonably priced, basic, comfortable accommodation in a well-kept complex, Vista Dorada is a good value-for-money option.

A great base to enjoy a holiday in Maspalomas from (and a good view of the area as well!)

P.S. would also highly recommend "Taiwan" restaurant in Holiday World...a gem of a restaurant (especially in "holiday world", where you perhaps might not expect to find one...ahem...) and Zig Zag jeep safaris also well worth a look for a good day out :-)

• Liked — Value & cleanliness
  • Disliked — Hilly
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RM2007
Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2007

I just came back from 2 weeks at Vista Dorada. Last week in February, 1st week in March. The Hotel has recently had a face-lift. Brand new stainless steel flag poles with new flags. My room [161] was spotlessly clean with the most magnificent view from the balcony. The room was thoroughly cleaned 4 times and the cleaner offered on many more occasions, but it just wasn't necessary. Towels were replaced several times. Bedding was replaced. The pools were both fabulous!! Even the unheated pool was ok after the 1st minute! The receptionist booked a taxi for me, arranged bicycle hire and gave helpful advice on hiring a scooter. I was given information regarding local buses. I ordered a pizza, which was delivered to the pool side. The quality was excellent. There was more than I could eat. It was also cheap!! I honestly believe I had a fantastic holiday. I would most certainly not hesitate to come again. The scenery on this island is simply breath-taking. The mountains are awesome!! One very satisfied customer. I highly recommend this accomodation.

Stayed March 2007
2 Thank jbuashby
manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2007

took an alocation on arrival with airtours 9th Dec to 23rd Dec 2006
Entered the reception you immediately start thinking of the 1970s because of the dated decor, your given a key and a map sent on your way,then you have to negotiate numerous twists and turns and many steps, , your holiday is going down hill fast literally, a word of warning if you suffer from ill health, or have trouble walking, this complex could kill you, it really will develop those calf muscles., there are also many cats and the smell of cat urine and excrement is quite strong
The apartments first impressions, they look like they have been painted by somebody with mental health problems, they are dark and dinghy with bars on the windows, and resemble prison cells, they have tried to brighten them but succeeded in making them worse because of the ridiculous co lour scheme, all shades of dark green, everything is dated although there is a kettle and toaster, there is also a television, all German and Spanish channels are free, but you have to pay for any British channels sky news and 1,(no surprise there) insects everywhere, thousands of ants a couple of cockroaches, my wife burst in to tears (I nearly did ),we had 2 single beds for the adults, a sofa for one child, and a mattress for the other on the floor, blankets with cigarette burns,hygiene what hygiene,the apartment below us would move furniture around all hours, I swear some rooms are used as a knocking shops, and there are dogs barking within the apartments, there were many roaches lying dead on the walkways, you always get roaches on holiday, but they just left them dead were they were fully visible, no attempt made to move them, needless to say I never sampled the restaurant
The pool is the best part, always clean, this is what appears on their pictures though, whilst sun bathing you can sometimes smell human excrement around the pool area, so it is a good idea not to let the kids swallow pool water, after a week or so you get used to the smell. there is no entertainment what so ever for children, my kids took to trying to throttle each other in the pool after a couple of days, you start to feel quite isolated, and some of the locals are positively hostile towards the British, and will rip you off at any opportunity, I found the taxi drivers to be the nicest friendliest people on the island, and fairs extremely reasonable, that is a point well worth remembering, and the island is crawling with people selling time share scratch cards, there at all the major resorts, male always wins a t shirt female always wins holiday, pretend your German, when they say you English say nine !!,they seem to leave you alone, do not get in to conversation, or you will find yourself in a taxi disappearing in to the sunset for a couple of days, I hired a car second week 4 days 80 euros, great value totally saved the holiday, island well worth traveling it is absolutely beautiful, I recommend driving all the way around, not for the faint hearted.start by heading to Purto rico,then mogan and around the west coast,its like being on a roller coaster
This place is good for drinkers, somewhere to sleep, ,if you book allocation on arrival you’ll end up here, I would never go back to the VD,the weather though was gorgeous,29 degrees first week, and if you get out in to the sticks some of the proper Canarians are lovely, if you have no driving license, give it a miss you have been warned, I will definitely be visiting Gran Canaria again,Purto Rico is gorgeous.,to you hardend drinkers,this place is heaven cheap cheap cheap,some people i spoke to had payed as little as a £100 pounds for a week booking at the last minute,this place is geared for you people.

Stayed January 2007
5 Thank dcleach070667

Travellers are raving about these Maspalomas hotels

lancashire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2007

We arrived at the complex on christmas day ,the receptionist was very helpful and we were lucky as the bungalow was by the reception and the pool. It was not very clean inside the apartment the floors were dirty and the bathroom also , if you have a problem with insects this is not the place for you. Over the week we stayed every day we saw 1-2 cockroaches in the bungalow and in one of the bedrooms ants running wild around the wardrobes. Also in the kitchen if you prepare food be very careful, not to use the area by the sink as they appear to come from nowhere. The television is 1 euro to watch sky 1 and is supposed to last 1 hr but it never did with us the spanish programes are free. The area is not for young children or teenagers as there is nothing really to do unless you go further afield, but for a budget holiday its fine. The food in the restaurant for breakfast is very greasy but if you eat fruit and cold meats it's fine.

Stayed December 2006