“Could be better”

Dunas Mirador Maspalomas
Ranked #62 of 217 Hotels in Maspalomas
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Just returned from one week at the Dunas Mirador. An adequate hotel which was no worse or better than I expected for the price. I have been to a few hotels in this price range on an all inclusive basis where the food has been better, there wasn't much variation in the menu and all very basic. My only issues with this hotel were:The staff were not a very happy bunch at all and would often ignore you at reception by deliberately looking the other way! The bar staff were rude and unhelpful too. Sun bed wars were a joke and the hotel have a guard on standby so no one can get to the beds before 0800 but this just made the whole situation worse and brought out the worst in people as you had to run and fight for a sunbed. They would be better tightening the rules as probably 70% of sunbeds were towelled up but then vacant ALL DAY or parents reserved them for babies and young children who maybe used them for an hour out of the whole day. VERY frustrating !! The free bus to the beach was a bit hit and miss and then one day refused to take us back to the hotel when the bus was scheduled to be doing a return run! The driver was also miserable. I would not go back to the hotel as I prefer to feel welcome on my holiday and there were no great plus points to make up for the miserable staff.

Room Tip: We changed rooms as we started on the ground floor in C block but were woken at 5am by hotel staff p...
3  Thank Samf75
Dunashotels, Director General at Dunas Mirador Maspalomas, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Thank you for evaluating our hotel on TripAdvisor.
We regret that you were not fully satisfied with our hotel and would like to apologize for the inconveniences regarding your staying with us.
Furthermore we would like to thank you for mentioning also positive impressions about our hotel. We always take these comments very seriously because positive comments as well as criticism help us to improve our service constantly.

Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a week here. Booked it last minute and got a good deal so not going to complain too much, value wise it was decent.
Firstly, I have to compliment the animation team and in particular Florian who does a great job with daytime activities. They keep you busy through the day (if that's what you like) and they work hard to entertain on an evening.
The hotel run a kids club which runs from 11am to 1pm. My son went every day and enjoyed it. Angela who works in there is very good and knows what she's doing, so well done for that.
In contrast to the good things on offer, the race for sunbed's on a morning is farcical and something the hotel really need to address. You have to wait till 8.00am to claim your bed and queues form from around 7am onwards. One morning there was a false start at 7.56am and everyone got busy placing their towels. What took place next astounded me. The pool staff went around removing all the towels, raising their voices at everyone who had claimed a bed. At 7.30am, fair enough. But with 4 minutes to go? It caused more problems than it solved. Come on Dunas, sort this out. The maintainance of the pool and surrounding terrace needs to be addressed. Lots of broken and lose tiles and areas where water gathers. The sunbed's were only moved once during my week here to allow for cleaning, the beds aren't routinely moved and stacked each evening so what goes under the bed from the filthy lazy guests remains and builds up over time. It was 5 days in before we saw this area cleaned.
The AI drinks were good, San miguel, Pepsi, Kas and decent red white and rose wines. Shame the food was a bit of a disappointment.
The layout of the dining room is all wrong but could be remidied with just a little more forethought. The breakfast was the worst of all the mealtimes. Warm milk, stale cereal and very greasy offerings on the hot counter. I've done AI many times and lived in Spain for a year so I know the bacon isn't usually that lean but these were just strips of fat. The toasters were painful to use. 3 times through to get your bread brown? No wonder the queues were always big. And only 2 machines for around 1000 guests. Jam was like liquid and butter was so cold and hard it was unspreadable, so place it on top of the toaster while you wait. I could go on with the dining room issues (and I think there are quite a few) but I think I'll address the hotel directly with my views. I don't expect fine cuisine at AI hotels, not when catering for the masses so I'm realistic with my expectations. The lunch and evening meals were an improvement on breakfast with plenty of choice. The salad choice was good and the cleaning staff were efficient.
I would have spoken with the restaurant manager while I was there but I wasn't going to waste a precious hour of time doing so. I was irritated enough as it was.
The beds were comfy and the rooms adequate apart from the absence of air con but I was aware of this when I booked. Bed sheets changed after 5 days but not the pillow cases and not all sheets were replaced. Towels changed every other day.
The commercial centre El Tablero isn't far as the crow flies, but it's the other side of the main motorway. You take your life in your hands if you want to walk there along the narrow hard shoulder.
Overall, not bad value and a bit out of the way if you like a stroll. Melanores is about a 40 minute walk away and is a very nice area. If I was to go back I'd look for a hotel there. I wouldn't recommend this hotel until the issues I've raised are sorted out.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Troy C

Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is okay the reception staff are a bit rude for example on the day we checked out we asked for the receipt for the fridge and the fan (you have to hire them if you want one) she was like no I'll make photocopies and then she threw them at us (the photocopies).in the morning there is a mad rush for the sunbeds at 7:45 am you have to pay for wi-fi.there is a minimart in the hotel that sells airbeds and as soon as you put one in the pool the pool people tell you to take them out so why sell them on site?the food is bland and what one day is chicken the next day is chicken strips with a unidentifiable sauce and stuff like that. They have two theme nights and they are china and canarian it's the same every week. They have strange foods at breakfast for example sprouts I don't think I've ever seen anybody eat sprouts for breakfast. Finally the all inclusive starts at 9:00 am and ends at 11:00 pm.in other hotels Ive stayed on the all inclusive starts at 6:00 am and ends at 2:00 am the next morning.also watch out for the Miguel the grumpy bar man (he works nights) at the pool bar.its a self serve drinks area at the bar with Pepsi,diet Pepsi,7up,kas orange (like fanta),kas lime,tonic and San Miguel is their beer.but the animation team do their best especially florian who works non-stop.the maids clean well.the TV has only news channels for the British with sky news, BBC world news, CNN, AND CNBC. The beds are hard.Also at certain points in the day it smells like raw sewage.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Josh D

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Firstly I would like to point out that some of these reviews are ridiculous nonsense. Second, this is a 3* hotel but with one extra would easily be 4*.

We stayed for 1 week from the 7th to the 14th of August and were given a family suite in block D room 103. If going again I would specifically ask for this room (I think it's one of the best position wise).

The staff couldn't be more helpful, they were lovely and friendly and if you had a question they were always willing to help out.

The food was great, we always found something for ourselves, our 7 year old loved the food and our 7 month old enjoyed it aswell so it can't be that bad! It's not 5* food but it was never advertised as that! We always found something to eat at every meal. The snack bar is exactly that, snacks!!

Around the pool area was very busy but you could always get a bed providing you weren't bothered about being sat near enough in the pool! We never struggled. And the bed wars is exactly the same everywhere... There's always a fight for the best beds, whether 5* in Mexico or at this hotel. And there was a lifeguard at pools edge for majority of the day which I've never seen before, despite staying 5* a lot of times. Sorry but you should be watching your kids yourself if they need watching!

In terms of people saying they cut there wristbands off, they do but if you arrived late the first day simply explain that and refuse to take it off. We did this and they were happy to leave them on.

There is no fan or air conditioning but you can hire a fan for €15 a week or air con for €60 a week. With air con this hotel would easily be 4*. So if you can pay the extra and get either a fan or air con do and you'll have a 4* stay.

Overall a great stay for the price.

• Stayed: August 2014
5  Thank bob28England

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your positive review about your holidays spent in our hotel.
We are pleased to see that you mentioned so many good points in your comment. We will pass your compliments to the different departments.
We are also happy to hear some negative points to know where we have to improve our service.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

This hotel was quite nice although i have been to better.
We were all inclusive and the food was nice but again I've had better all inclusive holidays. The rooms were ok and clean. The entertainment was good but as with a lot of these types of holidays there were a few Jeremy Kyle show type people with their tatoos spelt incorrectly!
The hotel was a little isolated, there was a nice shopping centre about 10 minutes walk away but to get there you had to walk along a busy road with no pavement.
The walk to Maspalomas was 10 minutes the other way down a steep hill were were conned into going to a Timeshare sale although we were quickly given a taxi back to the market once we made it clear we were'nt interested.
I would go there again but it's not my favourite hotel or destination.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TheOGradys

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I can't un derstand some of the previous reviews, I think some people just like to have a whinge!
Went to the Dunas Mirador as a single dad with my son (13) and daughter(11).
Cant understand the fuss about sunbeds. yes you can queue up with the 8am rush but I only did this once and never failed to get 3 sunbeds together on the other days. There are plenty of Sunbeds to go wround although some at the reception end will be in the sahde until later in the day.
Food was great. Breakfast selection good, plenty of fresh fruit, cakes, varaieties of bread, feshly cooked eggs, bacon, beans, spanish omemlete, pancakes freshly cooked, toasted ham and cheese sandwiches etc, the only sauasages were hot dog type but then you are in Spain not England so wouldn't expect cumberlands or anything spaciel!. A bit of a queue at the juice machines if you arraived at the businest time of breakfast but not too bad.
Lunch in the restuarant always had a good variety of hot meals, fish and another meat (usually prk) freshley cooked on the griddle if you didn't want the buffet dishes. Lots of Salad options, soup, fruit, ice cream and other deserts. Wine and Beer on tap self service.
Dinner similar to lunch. Roast Pork one night was some of the best I've ever tasted.
Self service beer, wine, soft drinks, tea, coffe and juices in the Pool Bar kept the servce time quick at the bar. Most of the Cocktails were free of charge to all inclusive as were spirits if you drank the local version with generous measures. Pints of beer in glasses available at the var. Never had to wait long to get served and once the var straff got to know you they often just gave you a refill before you asked. Non alcoholic cocktails for the kids were great.
Missed out on the entertainment as we were always in the Pool Bar, but went into the disco where the live entertainment was on our last night and it was great, really entertaining and professional circus type enetertainment with juggling, unicycling, hoopla etc. Was visual so worked for all languages.
Room was very clean and beds were made and room cleaned every day. Staff always were cleaning of doing maintenance and keeping up the standard of the place.
Cabs were very cheap if you wanted to go out within Maspolomas and there was a free shuttle bus to the beach. Had an evening out which was a bit enterntaining as all the bars where we went in Playa del Ingles seemed to be gay bars many with drag acts which was a bit of an eye opener for the kids! No trouble though but if you are easily offended avoid the Yumbo area at night...
I diidn't think the Wifi service at 10 Euros for 3 days or 20 Euros for a week was too expensive. Allowed one device to log on at a time so it was possible to share with the kids but just not access all at the same time. Connection was reasonably quick and available all over the complex.

Submarine trip on the yellow submarine at Puerto de Mogan was nice and give a couple of hours in Mogan to enjoy the village as well as the submarine trip at a reasonable price.

The only bad points were the lack of aircon in the room and the fact that the reception wanted to remove the all inclsuive bands at checkout or charge 12 Euros each. managed to negotiate this down to 18 Euros for the 3 of us though just as well as we were not being picked up from the hotel for our flight home until 11:00pm so had 11 hours of all inclusive for 18 Euros. However I think this shouldust be given free.

Room Tip: Room towards the front of the hotel pool facing would be best. We were at the rear and facing the mo...
1  Thank TheHampshireCookies

Reviewed 22 August 2014

I shall try to make this a factual review based on the limited time of two weeks that we were there.

Positives:

Stayed in August and temp was beautiful all 2 weeks. Hotel on a hill so lovely breeze around pool area which made it very pleasant

Pool stunning - and very safe for families with younger children (altho mine are young teenagers) - at the end of the main pool there was a small children's pool with a mesh guard to stop them from entering the main pool by accident unless taken in by a parent

Pool bar had food from about 11 until 3 and then there was afternoon tea each day, as well as constant drinks all day

Even in August it was my experience that you got served quickly - the pool bar food, altho chips burgers and squid rings each day, was freshly cooked, always hot, and never left for long - the staff worked hard to ensure cleanliness and hygiene, and the lady cooking the food really took care

You could get all inclusive lunch in the main dining room if you didnt want pool fare

The salads in the resort were fabulously fresh and really chilled and crisp

Evening meal - I see from other reviews that people didnt feel there was much variety but I felt there was - we had various plain cooked joints with sauces available if you wished, goulash, different chicken dishes, fish dishes, lovely mussels, potatoes, chips, rice, couscous, lovely vegetables and salads. Puddings tended to be blancmanges, jellies and fruits.

Breakfast excellent - The fruits especially papaya and the oranges were gorgeous - also the melon. There was cheese, ham, lots of different breads and rolls, cooked breakfast with bacon, sausage, very fresh and flavourful tomatoes, and you could have your eggs cooked how you wished, along with pancakes. Lots of honeys, jams etc and the most gorgeous custard croissants, plain croissants, chocolate and plain doughnuts, and a drinks machine where you got coffees (all types - capuccino, espresso and cafe con leche as well as hot chocolate and tea). Therewas an atrium next to the main dining room which was lovely and airy to have breakfast in.

I liked that you could get nice rose, white or red wines of decent quality and beers etc (San Miguel) on the all inclusive plan - usually you have to pay separately for these. Also you could get cocktails and cava by the pool too - lovely!!!

Rooms (we were in block C with pool view) were very large and spacious and our bedlinen was changed each day and the rooms were spotlessly clean - we had a lovely maid. Very comfy beds.

Plenty of wardrobe storage with proper hangers

Lovely large clean balcony overlooking pool - with a drying rack for swimsuits etc so nothing needed hanging over the balcony

Trivial - but hotel was painted a pretty peach colour which along with the beautiful pool was very pleasing on the eye!

In evenings sometimes in the lobby there were stalls selling jewellery, dolls, glassware etc - wasnt intrusive if you didnt want it, but uf you did, it was very nice - I bought a really lovely bronze and gold glass ring for just 8 euros!

I liked the hotel's position - slightly cooler on the hill - a cab only cost 4 euros to the next town Meloneras where there was a moonlight cinema, the beach, and some very nice shops and restaurants. There is a free shuttle bus to the beach from the hotel, which was good.

Car hire there was very cheap - 30 euros per day from the one just outside the hotel - car great, roads excellent - and isnt far up into the beautiful and stunning mountains - all directions easy and good.

There was a lovely German bar around the corner which was very friendly

There was a spa shop 5 mins walk away, along with a few beach/gift type shops

There is a taxi rank opposite the hotel so easy to get a cab at any time of day. On leaving the hotel for the airport, we ran across and asked if they would pick us up at the hotel entrance so we didn't have to drag our cases over there (we chose not to take the coach transfer to the airport) and they did so willingly.

Ok - now the negatives

Room:
No air con so was rather stuffy, and no fridge so any water you bought went warm rather quickly!

I wd have loved a kettle with tea and coffee but appreciate that this was a 3* hotel so I should have remembered to take my own!

The hotel's room blocks were all around the pool area, along with the disco and the pool bar. It did mean that if you wanted to sit and read quietly on your balcony after dinner, it wasnt possible to escape the noise of the bar and disco. Mostly in any rating of hotel there is somewhere you can go to be quieter even if the hotel is billed as a family resort where you would expect it more. I found it difficult to find any quiet anywhere since (naturally since it was a family resort!) there was music and activities around the pool all day and then there was nowhere to go at night except the pool bar which of course had music until 1am. There wasa kids disco which started at 7 and so that noise went on all evening, being followed by the evening entertainment.

Hard for the hotel because they had nowhere else to put the bar and disco! I'm tolerant but I found myself longing for just one quiet hour somewhere!

You could shut your door which cut the noise but then it was unbearably hot and stuffy in the rooms without air con. Whichever option you took it was difficult to sleep.

Hotel lobby:
Usually in any hotel, a large lobby like this would be the hub of the resort - but despite having a few large sofas, it was soulless. The reception staff were astoundingly unfriendly and if you asked anything they looked bored and took their time to come over to you as tho it was an utter inconvenience. Perhaps because of this it was just a throughway into the dining room

Wifi:
Ok we had to pay for this but I thought it was expensive compared to other similar hotels in similar type countries. I paid 60 euros for 2 weeks for both my children to have wifi, and I had it for 3 days whuch cost 15 euros.

Sunbeds:
Oh dear this made me laugh! In all my years of travelling I've never had to do this before!!! We soon realised that to get 4 beds for the day (if we were staying all day at the pool) we had to go down at 7.30 am and queue up until they let us in at 8! By 8.01 am 90% of the beds had gone! There was one older couple who sat down there from 7am in order to get their front row loungers!!! Unbelievable. To get mine, I queued nicely with all the others but on one morning I had one man lob a towel over my head onto the bed I was about to put my towel on! There were those that threw their towels over the railings instead of queuing but they eventually were stopped by pool staff towards the end. A situation that the hotel allowed to happen by stating that sunbeds could not be reserved until the pool opened - hence the queue and fights lol - if they'd said nothing, then everyone would have just strolled down in their own time and there wouldn't have been an issue!

Staff in general were disengaged and unfriendly - with the exception of the pool entertainment staff who could not do enough for the children (without being too pushy).

Despite our speaking Spanish, they didnt seem like they wanted to be concerned with guests and were going through the motions of their jobs.

So, lots of good things, a few bad - but the overall problem for me was constant and inescapable noise (I dont mind noise for others so long as here and there I can escape for a while!), and no air con.

Star rating I feel is correct.

A lovely holiday there nonetheless with much to like.

Room Tip: Perhaps as high up as you can go in block B or C to minimise pool bar and disco noise
4  Thank Anonymous7772014