“Darron n”

Dunas Mirador Maspalomas
Ranked #62 of 218 Hotels in Maspalomas
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

This was second time in grand canaria, the previous time we stayed in a sub standard half board complex. We was certainly surprised how far away from the beach we were but it was also wonferful to be away from all the noise of a general tourist resort. Now to our review of dunas mirador, when we had stayed previously we wandered up the road and stumbled on dunas mirador and was surprised how clean and inviting it looked. Firstly the staff when we arrived was extremly busy but made us feel welcome and allowed us to store our bags whilst we had a look around, during breakfast, lunch, supper the restaurant was busy but fresh food was always brought out (high standard).the aimation team gave us wonderful nights and involved me on 2 occasions, Our son felll ill towards the end of our stay and we could not have wished for more helpful staff reception and waitress. Going back 2015 and if people took the time to view on maps locations of hotels you would see it is far away 3 euro in taxi to maspalomas just over £2 (cheap)

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Darron N
Dunashotels, Manager at Dunas Mirador Maspalomas, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to hear, that you enjoyed your holiday in our hotel

We will pass on all your congratulations to our hard working staff.

Thank you very much for your good comments abour our Hotel Dunas Mirador, we always take these comments very seriously, because they help us very much to improve our service in the future. Our goal is to offer the best holiday experience possible to all our guests.

We are looking forward to your next stay in our hotel and we also thank you for your comment on tripadvisor.

Kind Regards,

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,172)

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Myself and my partner have recently come back from a 10 night stay in this hotel. We stayed in C block, the views are not fantastic as you are looking out onto the motorway, however this was not really an issue for us. The pool area was very nice, the pool seemed clean and the outside bar area was right there too. We did experience 'sunbed gate'. There are ques from around 07.30am with people waiting around the pool area to claim their sunbed. At 08.00am the pool attendant allows everyone to put their sunbeds down, however its not a walk to the sunbed! Everyone is running around the pool to make sure they get their sunbed! The frustrating thing about this, is that many of the sunbeds claimed with towels, stay empty for most of the day. Personally i don't think this should be allowed, putting your towel down then going out for a day, to come back and have an hour sunning session before its time to go. The food is the worst food I have ever eaten. In the day time, there would be a BBQ with burgers and sausages, i didn't have a sausage, however the burger was vile. So low quality. As it goes for your evening meal, there was not a lot of choice. And what was there was not very nice at all. In fact for the remaining 4 nights of out stay, we went out to a restaurant as we just could not stomach what they were serving any longer. For all inclusive i appreciate the staff have a lot of people to cater for, however i don't expect to stay all inclusive and not be able to eat the food because its that poor. Overall the hotel stay was average. The room was a decent size. And the bathroom, all kept very clean, the cleaners are friendly too. I would not go back to this hotel, the good defiantly needs improvement, it is also a bit out of the way. We had to get a taxi everywhere which was a little frustrating.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Lsh96
Dunashotels, Director General at Dunas Mirador Maspalomas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear Dunas Mirador guest,
Thank you very much for evaluating our hotel on TripAdvisor.
We regret to know that you had not a satisfying holiday in our hotel.
We would like to apologize for the inconveniences regarding your staying with us, and thank you for the feedback, as negative impressions also help us to improve.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

I have recently returned from a 2 week holiday away with my friend to Maspalomas, Gran Canaria, which is a brilliant and beautiful holiday destination, however I regret to say neither myself or my friend will return to the hotel, Dunas Mirador, Maspalomas, again.

I can applaud and compliment the catering staff in the dining hall and the "Animation Team", as both teams seemed respectful and hard working during our stay.

Unfortunately, I do have faults with this hotel -to name a few:-

1. Cuing/ fighting/ charging for sun loungers as early as 7 am (be there plenty of time before 8 am when he blows his whistle for you to reserve them!)

2. Fat juicy visitors... Cockroaches

3. An additional daily charge to use the safe

4. Dirty pool

5. Additional charge for the wifi

6. And ultimately, the lack of customer care and understanding we did NOT receive.

There was an incident when we had money stolen from our room on two occasions, to which the manager of Guest Relations, Angela, left us to feel humiliated and a liar as she did not believe our word - despite presenting proof to us that the only entries to our hotel room was ourselves and the room cleaner. The hotel were not prepared to take responsibility for a member of their hotel staff at Dunas Mirador, Maspalomas stealing from us as....... The safe in our room where our money was kept, was not locked.

Disgraceful.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Veronica Jane G

Thank you for evaluating our hotel on TripAdvisor.
We regret that you were not fully satisfied with our hotel and would like to apologize for the inconveniences regarding your staying with us.
We always take these comments very seriously because help us to improve our service constantly.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Just returned from one week at the Dunas Mirador. An adequate hotel which was no worse or better than I expected for the price. I have been to a few hotels in this price range on an all inclusive basis where the food has been better, there wasn't much variation in the menu and all very basic. My only issues with this hotel were:The staff were not a very happy bunch at all and would often ignore you at reception by deliberately looking the other way! The bar staff were rude and unhelpful too. Sun bed wars were a joke and the hotel have a guard on standby so no one can get to the beds before 0800 but this just made the whole situation worse and brought out the worst in people as you had to run and fight for a sunbed. They would be better tightening the rules as probably 70% of sunbeds were towelled up but then vacant ALL DAY or parents reserved them for babies and young children who maybe used them for an hour out of the whole day. VERY frustrating !! The free bus to the beach was a bit hit and miss and then one day refused to take us back to the hotel when the bus was scheduled to be doing a return run! The driver was also miserable. I would not go back to the hotel as I prefer to feel welcome on my holiday and there were no great plus points to make up for the miserable staff.

Room Tip: We changed rooms as we started on the ground floor in C block but were woken at 5am by hotel staff p...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Samf75
Dunashotels, Director General at Dunas Mirador Maspalomas, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Thank you for evaluating our hotel on TripAdvisor.
Furthermore we would like to thank you for mentioning also positive impressions about our hotel. We always take these comments very seriously because positive comments as well as criticism help us to improve our service constantly.

Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a week here. Booked it last minute and got a good deal so not going to complain too much, value wise it was decent.
Firstly, I have to compliment the animation team and in particular Florian who does a great job with daytime activities. They keep you busy through the day (if that's what you like) and they work hard to entertain on an evening.
The hotel run a kids club which runs from 11am to 1pm. My son went every day and enjoyed it. Angela who works in there is very good and knows what she's doing, so well done for that.
In contrast to the good things on offer, the race for sunbed's on a morning is farcical and something the hotel really need to address. You have to wait till 8.00am to claim your bed and queues form from around 7am onwards. One morning there was a false start at 7.56am and everyone got busy placing their towels. What took place next astounded me. The pool staff went around removing all the towels, raising their voices at everyone who had claimed a bed. At 7.30am, fair enough. But with 4 minutes to go? It caused more problems than it solved. Come on Dunas, sort this out. The maintainance of the pool and surrounding terrace needs to be addressed. Lots of broken and lose tiles and areas where water gathers. The sunbed's were only moved once during my week here to allow for cleaning, the beds aren't routinely moved and stacked each evening so what goes under the bed from the filthy lazy guests remains and builds up over time. It was 5 days in before we saw this area cleaned.
The AI drinks were good, San miguel, Pepsi, Kas and decent red white and rose wines. Shame the food was a bit of a disappointment.
The layout of the dining room is all wrong but could be remidied with just a little more forethought. The breakfast was the worst of all the mealtimes. Warm milk, stale cereal and very greasy offerings on the hot counter. I've done AI many times and lived in Spain for a year so I know the bacon isn't usually that lean but these were just strips of fat. The toasters were painful to use. 3 times through to get your bread brown? No wonder the queues were always big. And only 2 machines for around 1000 guests. Jam was like liquid and butter was so cold and hard it was unspreadable, so place it on top of the toaster while you wait. I could go on with the dining room issues (and I think there are quite a few) but I think I'll address the hotel directly with my views. I don't expect fine cuisine at AI hotels, not when catering for the masses so I'm realistic with my expectations. The lunch and evening meals were an improvement on breakfast with plenty of choice. The salad choice was good and the cleaning staff were efficient.
I would have spoken with the restaurant manager while I was there but I wasn't going to waste a precious hour of time doing so. I was irritated enough as it was.
The beds were comfy and the rooms adequate apart from the absence of air con but I was aware of this when I booked. Bed sheets changed after 5 days but not the pillow cases and not all sheets were replaced. Towels changed every other day.
The commercial centre El Tablero isn't far as the crow flies, but it's the other side of the main motorway. You take your life in your hands if you want to walk there along the narrow hard shoulder.
Overall, not bad value and a bit out of the way if you like a stroll. Melanores is about a 40 minute walk away and is a very nice area. If I was to go back I'd look for a hotel there. I wouldn't recommend this hotel until the issues I've raised are sorted out.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Troy C

Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is okay the reception staff are a bit rude for example on the day we checked out we asked for the receipt for the fridge and the fan (you have to hire them if you want one) she was like no I'll make photocopies and then she threw them at us (the photocopies).in the morning there is a mad rush for the sunbeds at 7:45 am you have to pay for wi-fi.there is a minimart in the hotel that sells airbeds and as soon as you put one in the pool the pool people tell you to take them out so why sell them on site?the food is bland and what one day is chicken the next day is chicken strips with a unidentifiable sauce and stuff like that. They have two theme nights and they are china and canarian it's the same every week. They have strange foods at breakfast for example sprouts I don't think I've ever seen anybody eat sprouts for breakfast. Finally the all inclusive starts at 9:00 am and ends at 11:00 pm.in other hotels Ive stayed on the all inclusive starts at 6:00 am and ends at 2:00 am the next morning.also watch out for the Miguel the grumpy bar man (he works nights) at the pool bar.its a self serve drinks area at the bar with Pepsi,diet Pepsi,7up,kas orange (like fanta),kas lime,tonic and San Miguel is their beer.but the animation team do their best especially florian who works non-stop.the maids clean well.the TV has only news channels for the British with sky news, BBC world news, CNN, AND CNBC. The beds are hard.Also at certain points in the day it smells like raw sewage.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Josh D

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Firstly I would like to point out that some of these reviews are ridiculous nonsense. Second, this is a 3* hotel but with one extra would easily be 4*.

We stayed for 1 week from the 7th to the 14th of August and were given a family suite in block D room 103. If going again I would specifically ask for this room (I think it's one of the best position wise).

The staff couldn't be more helpful, they were lovely and friendly and if you had a question they were always willing to help out.

The food was great, we always found something for ourselves, our 7 year old loved the food and our 7 month old enjoyed it aswell so it can't be that bad! It's not 5* food but it was never advertised as that! We always found something to eat at every meal. The snack bar is exactly that, snacks!!

Around the pool area was very busy but you could always get a bed providing you weren't bothered about being sat near enough in the pool! We never struggled. And the bed wars is exactly the same everywhere... There's always a fight for the best beds, whether 5* in Mexico or at this hotel. And there was a lifeguard at pools edge for majority of the day which I've never seen before, despite staying 5* a lot of times. Sorry but you should be watching your kids yourself if they need watching!

In terms of people saying they cut there wristbands off, they do but if you arrived late the first day simply explain that and refuse to take it off. We did this and they were happy to leave them on.

There is no fan or air conditioning but you can hire a fan for €15 a week or air con for €60 a week. With air con this hotel would easily be 4*. So if you can pay the extra and get either a fan or air con do and you'll have a 4* stay.

Overall a great stay for the price.

• Stayed: August 2014
5  Thank bob28England

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your positive review about your holidays spent in our hotel.
We are pleased to see that you mentioned so many good points in your comment. We will pass your compliments to the different departments.
We are also happy to hear some negative points to know where we have to improve our service.
We are looking forward to welcome you again soon in our establishment.

Best regards