“Fantastic beach holiday”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic beach holiday”
Reviewed 17 May 2013

My husband and I spent 2 weeks in this hotel in March 2013. We enjoyed our stay very much. Most guests come from northern Europe and there were only a few other English couples. Our room on the 4th floor was east facing and we had a lovely view each morning of the sunrise over the beach. The room was clean, spacious and carpeted, with 2 sunbeds on the large balcony besides a table and 2 chairs. There were no coffee making facilities, but the fridge was free to use. The walls in our room were painted plain brown, which was boring to look at, but the beds were the most comfortable that I have ever lain on!

We were on a half board basis and found the breakfasts and evening meals always excellent in presentation, variety and flavour. While the servery area was rather small, empty dishes were quickly replaced so that food was always fresh.

The public areas were always clean and well maintained. There are no gardens in the grounds, but there is a large swimming pool that we enjoyed using. The hotel had a very good system for allocating sunbeds. We chose our sunbeds on the first morning, and they were then labelled with our room number to mark them for our exclusive use for the duration of our stay! From the hotel grounds you can walk out through a gate directly onto the beach. This is generally well maintained and monitored by Red Cross beach guards. We walked along the waters’ edge all the way to Playa des Ingles. The sand dunes are very interesting and worth exploring. Be warned, though, that once you go beyond the Blue Flag beach area, clothing is optional, and there is an extensive nudist area both along the beach and inland among the dunes.

The hotel staff were happy to sell tickets for excursions and activities offered on the island, and this may be cheaper than booking through your tour operator. All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful, although most did not speak very good English.

Room Tip: east facing rooms get a great view of the sunrise.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank panda_5779
LopesanHotelGroup, Gerente at IFA Faro Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
We are very proud of the work of our employees, they are what make it possible so good opinios like yours.
Thank you and see you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Derbyshire, England
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Excellent hotel, staff, rooms, food, pool everything was just perfect from beginning to end. The only criticisum would be the pillows were extremely lumpy ! The hotel offer to upgrade your pillow for six euros a day !!! outrageous. The Moonlight Cinema was a special night out watching Les Misrables under the stars with a bottle of Cava. Also the Samsara Restaurant is well worth a visit, both within walking distance of the hotel.

Room Tip: Side sea view rooms are best for afternoon sun on the balcony
1 Thank LynnG621
Thank you for your visit to the hotel and we hope that you think abour us for your next stay.
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

just spent 7 nights at the ifa,the hotel is in the prefect location right on the beach.we had a side view of the sea perfect for the.sun first thing in the morning,perfect for your moning coffee on the balcony.but you have to have your own travel kettle as tea making fascilities are not provided the room has a fully stocked fridge for a cool drink.the food was very good with a great choice.the drinks cost about the same as uk hotel .i would recommend the erdinger german beer 4eros60 cents a btle,also cocktails 6 euros good value,the entertainment was good ,could of done with a bigger audience but most clientel where over sixty and must of gone to bed.i would recomend a stroll along the prom some great shops and bars . I would recomend the nineteeth hole for a drink..the beach is great as i said right outside the hotel.There are plenty of sunbeds for hire,also you can get a drink and a snack at one of the beach huts. THE dunes are worth the trek its just by the naturist section.it takes about 15 mins stroll. Sunbeds cost 7.50 a day.When you check in you are allocated your sunbed for your duration good idea.i would recommend the ifa for a great relaxing holiday great location good food and great staff .i will be going back see you soon ifa.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
See you soon !And thank you so much for your opinion.
Exmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We celebrated my wife's Birthday at this hotel, the hotel is set in a lovely part of Maspalomas. The staff are extremely helpful, we were only here for a week,( wish we'd booked longer), as we were only here for a week we didn't get to know all their names, but we must mention Lorene, pronounced Lauren Gonzales who works as a waitress in the restaurant, this lovely helpful staff member smiles ceaselessly, nothing is too much trouble for her. But it has to be said all the staff from the reception to our room cleaner (Elsa) are all so nice. Our room was disabled friendly, it has to be said that these rooms on the ground floor are not for those who demand a sea view, in fact the view is mainly of the service area, however, we were offered a standard room on the 4th floor with some views of sea and mountains, we declined this room, simply because we were happy with our rooms facilities, and if we wanted an ocean view we only had to move a few metres to the reception/bar area to get astounding views of the pool area and the ocean, superb! The food in the restaurant is both plentiful and good quality, we were half board and enjoyed every meal. To the front of the hotel there is a ramp with a lift which is suitable for a wheelchair, but the lift is not quite large enough for a mobility scooter, I had the misfortune to choose Sol Mobility to hire my scooter, the scooter seemed perfect at first and I had negotiated the rather steep ramp once or twice after ascertaining the safety aspect of ascent and descent of the ramp from Neil who delivered the scooter and completed the paperwork on Monday the 22nd April about 5pm. He assured me as he had driven it up the ramp it should be fine. On Tuesday 23rd April we left the hotel returning about 3pm, on ascending the ramp, the scooter suddenly started to lift up, I was tipped out of the scooter and bumped the back of my head on the hard surface of the ramp, my iPad which was in the open basket attached to the front of the scooter also fell out breaking the glass on impact with the floor. My wife who was ascending the steps screamed out as she could see that I was trapped by the scooter, some passing tourists helped get the scooter off me and helped me back on it after checking that I was ok, albeit, shookup. I reported the incident to the reception staff member who I asked to contact Sol Mobility on my behalf. To be fair to Neil he was at our room within the hour. He asked if I was ok, I told him about the bump to my head and showed him cracked iPad, he checked out the scooter replacing the dislodged battery and reconnected some wires, I asked him why the stability wheels had been removed from my scooter and he said it was because they were always breaking. He offered me a larger scooter which I accepted, but he said that SolMobility were not responsible for anything else. The next day I asked the reception Manager to contact Sol Mobility as I was not happy with them. Their representative Helen arrived, I explained everything to her and she implied that as this had never happened before, maybe I had been drinking, perhaps my driving skills were not sufficiently good enough, and as for my iPad, perhaps I had dropped it and was trying to get a new one by this claim, she also said that the basket was not there for carrying things of this nature. She never gave a reason for why the stabiliser wheels had been removed. Her belligerent attitude prevailed the whole time, at no time did she feel it was necessary to apologise or offer any amount of compensation by way of a token gesture. My advice to any disabled readers do not use this company.

Room Tip: For any able bodied readers ocean view rooms are superb.
1 Thank Brian M
Dear customer, we remember your case, first of all we hope you feel better, We also would like to thank to the staff of the hotel good reviews. They are those who, with their work and professionalism make that our customers leave satisfied with our hotel.We look forward to see you soon among us.Thanks.
Portsmouth
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Have been to Maspalomas before but always self catering & always said that we'd wanted to stay at this hotel purely for the location, best in Gran Canaria! Right from the off the service was amazing, so helpful, polite & friendly. The room was a great size, 2 large twin beds put together, great size bathroom & a balcony with 2 sun loungers as well as a small table & chairs. Our balcony got the sun from 4.30pm to sundown so lovely to get those last 2 hours sun & watch it set. The food was the best we've ever had half board, so much choice & always fresh fish on the go. The staff at the bar are really friendly, Rafael looked after us & always remembered what drinks we had. All the staff in the restaurant were really friendly but Israel, Paco & Santiago always looked after us exceptionally well, they always had a smile for us. This is not a young persons hotel although they are child friendly. The average age is 60yrs plus but that didn't worry us as we were there for sunshine & the peace & quiet. I agree about the entertainment, it wasn't great although the young lads that did the Lennon/McCartney tribute were very good. The only negatives about this hotel was the availability of wifi, you could only get it in the reception area but the signal was quite weak or pay for it. Just 1 suggestion really & that was it would have been nice to have had slippers to go with the robes in the bathroom, other than that I can't fault this hotel. Would absolutely recommend this hotel if you want great service & food & a relaxing holiday. We have already booked to go again next year! See you then.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank sparky1971
LopesanHotelGroup, Manager at IFA Faro Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2013
From the managment of the hotel, we would like to thank you for your opinion, it is great to read by our clients that they are really satisfied with our hotel, in the same way thank you also because you have chosen again our hotel as your next destination.We appreciate it.
Thank you.
sheffield
Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

We have children but were on this hols on our own and it for us it was great. We only paid for standard room but got upgraded to partial sea view for free. Rooms were good and beds the comfiest I think I have slept in to date. The average age of clientele in the ifa is probably 70- it is not geared up for youngsters/ children but we found this fantastic as was really quiet and chilled out around pool, and the pick your sunbeds and keep them for the duration if your stay is genius! Meant mornings were really at your own pace. We booked B and B and quality of breakfast was really high with endless choice. Hotel is well placed for the melenores strip to the right and the maspalomas strip to the left- great restaurants and bars and we also ran everyday which is great as lots of routes and lots of flat roads! The gym in the hotel has improved since the refurb so don't take note of some of the earlier reviews- it's still small but a full set of dumbells, benches, running machine, cross trainers and several leg press etc machines- enough with a bit of imagination for a decent work out. Staff all really polite and helpful. We ate lunch in restaurant a few times and quality really quite good. Overall we had one if mist relaxing stays and would consider going again ( which we never normally do). Ps if staying go to samsara restaurant and moonlight cinema, both if which you'll find on trip advisor and are great nights out.

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank sheffwithkids
Thanks to the efforts of all the staff of the hotel we get this points of view so positivem we are very proud of our entire team.Thank you so much for your opinion.
Solihull
Reviewed 7 April 2013

This hotel was wonderful. Right from the start the staff were welcoming, cheerful and helpful. The hotel is spacious and exceptionally clean. Food was lovely and varied. Not a chip in sight!! The champagne for breakfast was a luxurious treat each morning at no extra cost! Great location too, near the dunes and also near little coffee shops and restaurants. Felt very safe to wander alone during the day or evenings if we felt like it. Allocation of sun beds on arrival for the duration of stay is such a great idea. The only down side really was the evening entertainment. Pretty much the same duet every evening and they seemed very bored with it too! Having said that, there were nice bars and live entertainment elsewhere. We (myself, my husband and our 20 year old daughter) would definitely stay there again. Excellent!

Room Tip: Our room was very quiet, we had a side sea view, with balcony.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Carol S
Dear customers, thank you for your opinion. We are very glad that your stay is our hotel has been so satisfying. We hope to see you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maspalomas
Seaside Palm Beach
Hotel Riu Palace Maspalomas
#5 of 134 in Playa del Ingles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,573 reviews
Lopesan Villa del Conde Resort & Corallium Thalasso

Been to IFA Faro Hotel? Share your experiences!