“DO NOT GET HIGH EXPECTATIONS”

Bungalows Vista Oasis Apartments
Ranked #90 of 216 Hotels in Maspalomas
Larkhall, Scotland, United Kingdom
“DO NOT GET HIGH EXPECTATIONS”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Front Desk

Staff are very abrupt and unwelcoming. This was a running theme at the desk until they realised I spoke Spanish and began to warm to me.

We were rudely pointed in the direction of your room. No assistance with this matter.

Room

On arrival there were bugs (9 counted) running over the beds, behind the curtains & in living area. Front desk was of no use and said this would be dealt with. It wasn't. 6 euros in bug spray & no sleep.

Bed

Bed was changed once in the week. Although the bed in the livingarea wasn't changed once.
The towels should be burned. Dirty orange colour, holes and bleach marked.

Layout

The lay out of Oasis is great. All the bungalows surround the pool/restaurant area.

Restaurant

This really needs addressed. It was nasty table covers and awful décor. The place needs some love. The toilet at the restaurant is the worst. The smell is unbelievable. Continually no paper & nothing to wash your hands with until I complained. The handwash was then put in an ashtray so you could dip your fingers in it. As this toilet then led to the restaurant with people eating and not washing their hands. I can only imagine the germs.

Boring & repetitive. Good point is it was always hot.
No proper pudding just ice-cream and jelly types.
Breakfast was the same everyday.
Never anything proper Spanish apart from some paella one evening.

Drinks

There is no way you can drink peach schnapps all day without feeling the effects but here you can. They open new bottles infront of you but it is like flavouring rather than alcohol.

Staff at Bar

Older gentlemen was a delight as well as the younger one. Both very helpful & friendly

Boss/Manager/Owner

I am not entirely sure of this man's role in this establishment. He would say hello in Spanish. Then continue to speak to his staff like dirt ( not knowing I can understand all of it) One day the cook was getting an ear load and the next the young girl at the bar. He is clearly concentrating on what doesn't matter to boost his ego. It was all a bit embarrassing and I felt awful for the staff.

WIFI

I payed 15 euro for wifi that didn't work in my room.

ENTERTAINMENT

In one word - AWFUL

Prize bingo is second hand toys by the looks of it. The singer was just bad, bad, bad. There is nothing to encourage you to stay there

FREE BUS

They do offer a free bus to the beach which is a plus- but be careful at the drop point for people surrounding you and hounding you to get your hair braided and try and tie bands around your wrists.

Overall it needs some love and attention. It would be an amazing place if it had the necessary support to flourish.

8 Thank Jennifer T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Polish first
Stoke on Trent
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We booked this holiday as a bit of a last minute Easter break. We had done quite a bit of research and read quite a few of the reviews on TripAdvisor. However I have to say we were very surprised with what we got, especially as we paid less than £400 each for a week all inclusive during the school holidays.

The accommodation was lovely. Spacious and very clean. There were only two of us on the holiday but we could have easily fitted more into our 'bungalow'. We felt the design of them was clever too - staggered so that you never saw or heard anyone next door. We had a terrace with fantastic views of the sea and sand dunes, and a table and chairs.

The all inclusive package, for me, was far better than I had expected. You are allowed local drinks only but we found this more than acceptable. The Gran Canaria beer 'Tropical' was particularly enjoyable!

In all honesty we didn't expect the food to be up to much. We even thought that we would eat out on more than one occasion but I have to say we didn't. The salads were always fresh and there were always different selections of meat, normally pork or fish. I would recommend going to the buffet as soon as it opens and not towards the end. I am confused by reports of people complaining that there wasn't enough food because we never experienced this. There was always more than enough and this was no worse than any other Spanish hotel I have previously stayed in.

We walked into Maspalomas during the evenings. The centre is about 40 minutes away (we did take the longer route) and we got a taxi back, costing about four euros.

All in all we had a lovely, lovely holiday and we will defintely be returning to the Vista Oasis. We booked through On The Beach and I have to say we had a good experience with them. Flights/transfers and hotel were excellent. I think that we got more than what we paid for really. I have read some people's reviews about food etc and sometimes I feel that they maybe expect too much.

I would recommend and already have done to family and friends.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 52. These rooms are away from the pool area but provide a good view of the beach.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank franwarr
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Spent a week here from mon 7th April to Monday 14th April. Our bungalow which was room 78 was perfect. Next to the pool and views from the spacious veranda were lovely sea views and the dunes. Went with hubby and 2 teenagers. Our apartment was cleaned every day. We were given clean towels every day and the cleaner was fab. She didn't just spend 5 minutes in there she was very thorough and immaculate. Didn't even get one ant in the room. We were all inclusive and we all found it fine. A variety for breakfast. Was always replenished straight away. My son is a moaner where food is concerned but he enjoyed every meal. Didn't moan about anything. We ate out a couple of times but that wasn't because of the hotel food it was simply because we wanted to try different towns. Taxis were reasonable 4 to 5 euros to playa del ingles. Good night out but need to go out after 9 when it gets busy. Also went to Puerto Rico one night that was 20 euros but was a fab night out so well worth it. Local supermarket up the road very very cheap. Couple minutes walk. Ok if ya wanted to fill ya fridge with juice and snacks.
Staff at the hotel were lovely. (Gave the cleaner a tip cos she worked hard and deserved it).Didn't have to wait long for a drink. Local beer was nice. Nothing was watered down. Nice coffee machine all day giving cappucinos etc. ice cream available all day.
It isn't 5 star but well worth the money. Very quiet and relaxing. No fighting for sun beds. Could get up at anytime and there was a sun bed. Pool was freezing but it was very hot so didn't mind cooling down in it. It was very clean and you soon warmed up after a few lengths. Not much entertainment but was ok to have a few drinks before we went to town. Washing machine and drier for 3 euros. Not a bad wash.
We like somewhere relaxing through the day which it was perfect and a good night out somewhere different and we did that too every night.
Would definitely go back.:)
Very happy:)

Room Tip: By the pool. Room70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80
7 Thank Mazzy19702014
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

went with husband for 10 day holiday, had a good break. Were very impressed how cleverly the bungalows are designed - very private. No one walking under your bedroom window or overlooking when you sit at the patio. Very generous size of fully self contained accommodation, massive patio. We were on all inclusive basis, but still nice to have a fridge and kettle available if you want a cup of tee in the privacy of your room.
Bar staff is friendly, drinks are absolutely fine. Was impressed with very drinkable bottled white and red wine - miles better than we had in other similar hotels in Canaries or other Spain.
Good size clean pools. Sunbeds always available. Free bus to the beach if you prefer walk in dunes and sea bathing.
Food I would described as "domestic" style, simple but good and abundant. Not quite English style (no pies :-) but always choice of meats and garnish.Fish every time - if you don`t eat meat. Good quality ice-cream always available for you desert.

4 Thank Lema N
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I went to Gran Canaria together with my family and some family friends - a total of 11 people in the group. We stayed in this place because the photos of the place looked really nice, taking the price into consideration. We stayed there for 1 full week and had the all-inclusive package.

**Food and Drink**
The food for most of the time were poor, boring, unimaginative and a couple of times downright aweful. Served breads were old. Desserts were too sweet and nothing really stood out as delicious. The bacons served in the breakfast were probably the most appetizing - although bacons aren't really hard to screw.

Juices served in breakfasts were either the overly sweet pineapple or the tropical mixed juice. The cocktails we ordered were also aweful. For example, the gin and tonic we ordered, composed of 2 blocks of ice, 50% gin and the rest tonic. The cuba libre composed of 2 blocks of ice, 50% rum and rest coke. The other drinks we ordered were not better.

The restaurant closes at 10pm sharp.

**Rooms/Bungalows**
The rooms/bungalows were old. They didn't have air conditioning. The heated water was scarce (just enough for 1 person showering). The toilet was not flushing properly (at least the one in my room). The curtains, bed and other furnitures and decore in the rooms are both old (curtain was broken too) and old-fashioned.

The TV was also old and you need to pay to access the channels. You also need to pay either 6 euros per day or 15 euros per week to have wifi in your room (and outside the facilities) - the price is also per device.

Insects appear in the rooms as well even if the windows and door are shutted.

**Facilities**
The pool is still OK, but is also getting old. There is only 1 public toilet room for each gender outside of the restaurant. The men's toilet room did not have working lights nor proper hand dryers / papers.

There were 2 pool tables which you pay 1 euro to play 1 game for. That is quite cheap and good. There is also 1 ping-pong table which is free to be used, but you need to deposit 3 euro to borrow the rackets and a ball. There was also 1 air hockey table, but it needs some maintenance.

There were no gym facilities.

I saw a play pen for kids but never actually inspected it so I can't really say if it is nice or not. I can say that I've seen kids using it when we were there.

There was also a useable tennis court which is nice. Only problem is that the fences aren't high enough so when balls are sometimes flying high, they pass the fences and over the streets. Fetching those balls are exhausting. You can borrow the tennis rackets and balls from the reception with a deposit of 10 euros.

**Entertainment**
They had a bingo night and a karaoke night each week, but none were particularly popular for the residents, but to be fair I couldn't really say too much about these, since most of the evenings we were out and didn't really participate on those. I saw that they also had a magic show night, but I didn't see that one.

Else they had a couple of price/play machines at the reception. There was also free wifi connection in there which was good enough for browsing the Internet.

Not really an entertainment, but since I've already mentioned the reception I might as well mention the mini-store they have there. It also closes at 10pm and the price were a tad more expensive than the local stores outside (there is one SPAR supermarket 3-4min away from Vista Oasis).

**Service**
Aside from a very very few personel who seemed friendly, this particular point is actually the worst we have experienced there. Firstly, I already knew that most Spanish aren't particularly keen on speaking English, but I would thought if you work in tourism or service-oriented work you would at least make an effort to communicate in English if you expect your customer to come from non-spanish speaking country. This was not the case in there.

The people working in the reception were really unfriendly and a couple were downright rude. 1 even gave us wrong information about a tour bus which lead us to miss it and had to wait for additional 1 hour. Noone greeted us welcome when we arrive and explained what we could do or expect of the place. And when we left noone said goodbye or said their appreciation to us.

The old man who was on the reception when we arrived reeked of alcohol as well.

The cleaning stuff didn't clean everyday, and when they do it wasn't really proper. I would still see hair remnants and mudded shoe prints on the floor after they have "cleaned" my room. Towels were only replaced 2 times a week, while bed sheets not at all.

**Conclusion**
I would discourage people to choose this place when visiting Gran Canaria (unless you could not find any cheaper options maybe?).

The seemingly nice photos of this place you can find in their site and elsewhere are all deceiving. The place does not look like those of the photos now.

The place has great potential if they modernize the place and clean up a bit. Changing the majority of the stuff would be great and maybe sending them to English course - that or state in their site and elsewhere that stuff in their only speak Spanish as a warning.

5 Thank IanAtOslo

Travellers are raving about these Maspalomas hotels

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Been to this complex two years running at Easter. The reviews I have read are very honest. Clean apartments, friendly, helpful staff and a good pool area with plenty of sun loungers. A few people grumbling about the food; however we never went hungry and always found something to satisfy. For the cost of an average meal in a local restaurant we enjoyed half board and accommodation for a family of four. Luckily there is free wifi in the Reception area that extends to the near pool area; that kept both of our teenage daughters happy. If you are after a quiet peaceful break then Vista Oasis ticks most of the boxes; the noisy areas are about 6 euros away if you want them.

Room Tip: rooms 10 to 15 have a good view of the pool and the sand dunes in the distance
4 Thank Roddaa
London
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Been here quite a few times (and already booked again). The place is what you get for the money - it is not a 5 star place but is not 5 star prices. Staff very friendly. Cleaning is really good for what the place is. Pool good size and always lounger available.

No air conditioning - but to be honest it is a waste - just get some shade or use traditional methods of cooling down - like jumping in the pool!

Room Tip: Local shops - Spar at Vista Bonita about 4 minutes walk up the hill open 0800 - 2100 and has a great...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple