The staff here are wonderful - we dealt most with Trevor, who couldn't do enough for us. There was an ongoing problem with our shower and he did everything in his power to get it fixed; he was incredibly friendly and bubbly; he gave us lots of advice and helped us get hold of things we needed; he was great company. Other good points about Vista Bonita include its location - it's not 'in the middle of nowhere', which was the impression we got from the description, but it's far enough from the main part of town to be nice and quiet. It's about a 40 minute stroll to the beach, and about 5 Euros in a taxi. We went to Playa Del Ingles (the Yumbo) once, and a taxi was less than 10 Euros. If you're looking for a holiday where you don't do very much, which we were, then the location is perfect.
If you go 'half board', that means a decent buffet breakfast in the morning and a voucher to eat from a set menu in the restaurant next door in the evening. For your voucher, you can choose from a somewhat limited menu (steak and chips, pizza, lasagna, etc) and have 3 courses plus a glass of wine. By the 4th or 5th day, we were a little bored, but it was good value and it saved us having to put any effort into choosing where to go, getting taxis etc. The restaurants near the beach looked very over-priced, and so we were happy that we went half-board.
Having a duplex apartment was really good - it was nice to have so much space. Equally, the balcony and terrace were good, and got sun most of the day with the option of switching between them to avoid/get some shade.
Some negatives too, though...a main point is cleanliness. We don't have ridiculous standards, but it really needed some better cleaning. The pillows and cushions were stained and marked, there was dirt and dust on the floor...not really up to scratch. The cleaners did come once a day but can't have spent more than 3 minutes in the apartment.
The main issue for us, as a lesbian couple in our thirties, was that it wasn't clear to us when we booked that the place was so nudist-friendly; we were led to believe that nudity was only allowed on private balconies, yet the majority of men there at the same time as us were naked pretty much all the time (at the bar, in/by the pool, in the hot-tub, etc). This won't bother a huge proportion of people who go there, I'm sure, but we felt really uncomfortable about it - especially over breakfast! It was also clear that some of the guys that were staying at Vista Bonita were hooking up with one another - of course, no problem! Except that, at times, this was outside in the hot tub, which was directly underneath our balcony. At one point, we felt awkward leaving the apartment because we'd have to walk past them while they were...busy. I guess we'd not expected it to be a 'cruisy' resort. Whilst I appreciate that this will depend on the guests staying at any one time, it's clearly tolerated. I think it's worth saying this here because we wouldn't stay again for this reason, and wouldn't have booked if we'd been more aware of it.
Overall, though, if you're not bothered by nudity/it being a bit cruisy, it's pretty good value. If you'd like to be in a quiet room, go for 14+, which overlook the gardens rather than the bar/pool/hot-tub.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vista Bonita Gay Resort is an attractive complex exclusive for gay men and lesbians. Set around an outdoor pool and hot tub, it is less than 3 km from Maspalomas Dunes, and offers spacious apartments with terraces and free Wi-Fi throughout the resort.The Vista Bonita features simple decor and each of its duplex apartments has a kitchenette and toilet on the ground floor. Living areas lead onto a terrace, giving direct access to the pool. Upper floors have a bedroom and a bathroom, as well as private entrances.Guests can enjoy a drink in the Bonita's bar, or relax on the terrace, which offers views of the attractive gardens. There is a snack bar and barbecue facilities are available.The centre of Playa del Ingles, where there is a selection of shops, bars and restaurants, is a 5-minute taxi ride from the complex. You can hire a car or bicycle from the tour desk and an airport shuttle service is available for an extra charge. Nudism is allowed ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Vista Bonita Gay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vista Bonita Apartments Hotel Maspalomas
- Vista Bonita Gay Resort Maspalomas, Gran Canaria