“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #19 of 217 Hotels in Maspalomas
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Arrived home 2 days ago after spending 2 weeks at this hotel and it was probably the best hotel we have stayed at,the food,the gardens,the pool areas,the bars,the staff and the Thomson rep Janice were all excellent.

Room Tip: Select a garden view
3 Thank William H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Short story:
Very nice hotel with lots of food and drink options (less good if you're a vegetarian), perfect staff, OK entertainment. Some management decisions are poor (eg world cup matches cancelling other entertainment instead of being an 'extra'). Most people would spend a good vacation here. Not so good for 20-somethings that want to party in the evening (except weekends). Great for kids. Nice refurbished rooms and low-stress environment. Perfectly clean at all times.

Sleep
Very good sound isolation, even the rooms above the disco 'Bubbles' are quiet enough. Our room was close to the evening entertainment, but we hardly heard it from the room. Oddly enough, you hear your neighbours more (eg crying children could wake you). Bed is really hard and not so comfortable. Also we had 2 120cm beds next to eachother, not one big bed.

Very nice food options, lots of different things however some dishes are there at all times. Drinks aplenty, but often watered down. Nice grill restaurant 'Atlantico' and nice asian restaurant. Lots of choice at the buffets. Cocktail choices are very limited. Vegetarians also have a range of options, and some of the cooks are willing to make you vegetarian versions of some dishes if you ask for them. However, not all of the signs are correct: if it says 'vegetarian' on the label, that doesn't mean it is. In one of the restaurants one dish contained chicken while labeled vegetarian. Two days later, the same dish was still labeled vegetarian, even though the cooks knew it was not.

Entertainment
Evening entertainment was pretty basic. Disco was often cancelled in favour of world cup matches on a big screen in a much too small room. Horrible disco DJ that didn't even seem to like his job. Day entertainment was generally good: not too obtrusive but often something to do, and depending on the activity, seemed much appreciated by some of the guests.

Rooms
Basic but good, lots of storage. In-room fridge was kind of pointless as not filled with anything. Working safe, good airco. One bad thing was that all of the rooms in my wing had interconnecting doors. Shower and generally bathroom very good, although bathroom products are not of the same level of quality. Room service always impeccable, and nice little terrace. If you buy Wifi from the lobby, great reception and speed for internet. Rather slow in the lobby (for free). No wired internet in the rooms.

Staff
Fantastic staff, always smiling, always greeting you, always correct in their dealings with you. Nothing to fault there. Cleaning staff, front desk staff as bar & restaurant staff are great, pretty much perfect.

Area
At a quiet part of the promenade (the infinity pool overlooks it). Takes about 10-15minutes walk to the beach or El Faro. All in all the location is not super, but not bad either.

Warnings:
- Don't ever go to Playa del Ingles, this is a true (young) tourist trap with dodgy con men everywhere. The drinks are watered down in most places and the whole area gives a shady impression.
- Don't go on the Spirit of the Sea excursion to watch dolphins. You'll see a lot more vomiting people than you will see dolphins.
- The excursions from the TUI group are done in overbooked busses that nearly fall apart. Better to use car rental and a cell phone GPS (GPS'es are usually no longer available).
- Mogan is more like a British-oriented place to eat. Hardly any authentic restaurants, and calling it 'like Venice' is a big overestimation. Wouldn't visit Mogan again.

Would I visit again/recommend the hotel:
Maybe, if I visit Gran Canaria again. The hotel has a lot to like about it, but also some naggles they should sort out. Generally speaking I'd recommend the hotel if you don't want to do much aside from seeing the hotel, relax in the sun loungers and enjoy the food.

Tips:
- For going out, visit 'Aqua' at the end of the promenade (away from El Faro). Best atmosphere in the area. Friday and Saturday evenings only.
- Visit Fataga with your rental car. The hotel has an AVIS desk and the TUI desks offer avia cars, that you can just leave at the hotel grounds when you're done (no need to return them). Avia is cheaper.
- TV: you can set the audio channel of Canal+ TV channels under the 'Tools' button on the remote. Dubbed movies can be watched in English instead like this.

2 Thank NiceGuyFromBelgium
Devo
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here at the end of April with another couple. My partner and I are very fussy and although changing rooms (just once!) we were so pleased with every element of the hotel. I think it has been refurbished around a year ago and it's been done to a lovely standard. The staff were very attentive and couldn't do enough for you. Very clean throughout. The food was very good, not amazing but what you would expect from a 4star hotel in Europe and especially at the bargain prices they offer. Location was ok, not a lot going on in the evenings and the hotels entertainment isn't great so just be prepared to bring a pack of cards and entertain yourself! However having said that it wouldn't put me off staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank devongirlmay2010
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the ClubHotel Riu Gran Canaria 5th-19th June 2014. This newly refurbished stylish and modern hotel is simply stunning! This hotel pretty much ticked all the boxes for us. We had a wonderful time and would highly recommend to anyone!
Here's a bit of a breakdown for you to why we have marked this hotel 5/5:

STAFF
We were very impressed with the staff at this hotel. Very efficient and every member of staff from the gardeners to the bar tenders would always smile and make you feel welcome by saying 'hola' as you walked by.
Once we arrived at our room after check in we had a slight problem with the main door to our room and further into our holiday had a problem with our safe. Both times after informing reception a maintenance man came to fix these issues promptly and efficiently.

ROOM
Spacious, clean room with plenty of storage space, complimentary safe, fan and air con. The beds were extremely comfortable and I think I fell in love a little bit with the power shower!

ENTERNAINMENT
Animation team did a great job keeping everyone entertained throughout their stay. The evening shows done by the animation team were very cheesy... But that was to be expected. We liked that the hotel also provided guests with outside acts. We particularly enjoyed ‘Beijing Acrobats’ WOW they were amazing! Best act we have ever seen in any of the hotels we have stayed in!!
We also liked that there was plenty to do in the evening. If the indoor entertainment was not your thing there was a live band playing outside every night or you could venture to the ‘chilled out’ Purple bar. We were impressed that they catered for everyone’s tastes; there was even a games room.

LOCATION
Great located!! Turn left outside the back of the hotel and there is a promenade that leads to upmarket bars and shops. Carry on walking past the light house and leading onto the beach is ‘Paddy’s Bar’ this bar is only small but plays English sports and you can also exchange your money here.
If you carry on walking along the costal line past the sand dunes it is a 1hr 30min walk to Playa Del Ingles. BUT BEWARE... Some of the beaches along there are nudist (so wasn’t particularly the prettiest of sights along there) However we found it quite amusing!! Whilst we were in Playa Del Ingles we played mini golf at the Yumbo Centre.
Okay, there is major working going on at the Riu Palace next to the hotel which will be completed in August. There is a little bit of noise but this did not bother us in the slightest! The noise was not unbearable by the pool and if you did have a problem then simply play some music!

EXCURSIONS
We took a day trip to Puerto De Morgan... what can I say, simply beautiful. We then took a boat trip from there to Puerto Rico.
A must is a day trip to Palmitos Park; we thoroughly enjoyed our day there. Seeing many different kinds of wildlife and wonderful dolphins! This was the highlight of our holiday anyway.

FOOD
All in all there was plenty of choice and variety for all the guests and the meat was of a high quality. However the only slight niggle we had with our stay at this hotel was breakfast time. If you were to go down to breakfast at 9 onwards we found the breakfast was not to be as fresh as if you were to go down earlier on in the morning. But this was our opinion and not a major problem.
There were 4 restaurants to choose from:
• Las Dunas- Main restaurant. No reservation needed. Breakfast, lunch and dinner.
• El Patio (next to Las Dunas) No reservation needed. Breakfast and dinner. We tried breakfast in here once, however we preferred the variety in Las Dunas.
• Atlantica (pool restaurant) Lunch -no reservation needed. Dinner- Some nights a grill restaurant and some nights a Canarian- Reservation needed.
• Kaori (Asian) by reception. Dinner- Reservation needed. We went to this restaurant twice and thoroughly enjoyed.

Sorry for the essay but all in all we enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The more I think about the stay we had here the more I think about how great it actually was. If you have any questions, feel free to message me :-)

18 Thank rachel404
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I wanted to treat my family to a special holiday, there was myself, my husband, my son, my daughter, my 17 month granddaughter and her mum. I had coveted this hotel since I found out that it had been refurbished. Having been to a previous Riu in Fuerteventura we did know what to expect from their brand.

WOW - we were not disappointed! My sons dropped jaw from start to finish said it all... :)

We had an adjoining room with my son, granddaughter and her mum, which at first I thought eek, but luckily later on, turned into a god send. Our daughter had a single room 4 doors away. When I say single, I mean exactly the same as ours!

KIDDIES POOL - We spent the first three days here for Zara (the baby), which was great fun, playing on the spaceship (there is an alien driving it), shooting down the slides, sitting under the bucket that tips refreshing cool water over you and the baby pool. Never an issue getting sun beds, in fact we managed to get the same ones each day!

PLAY PARK - Mmmm not so good, a metal slide - really?? Better for older children and definitely needs some TLC. In my view, not suitable for under 5's.

MAIN POOL - lovely, just lovely and really big, shame about families that have to play catch with a ball! Although it is a big pool, its not big enough for these sort of games - bit annoying.

ADULT POOL/PURPLE BAR - OMG - died and gone to heaven, lovely cool breeze from the sea front, amazing views, comfyier sun beds, amazing bar with cocktails and cava (mmmmmmm). Served during the day in quality plastic "glasses".

MAIN RESTAURANT & FOOD - Really good quality, we were spoilt by the waiters, who would get us a high chair, sort our tables and get our first round of drinks in for us, in fact would get the wine for me in a lager glass - oh dear lol. The food was of very good quality, however was a bit repetitive. I do sound ungrateful when I write this as I wouldn't cook like this at home, but the actual food area was quite small and some items were limited. Another issue that I personally didn't care for was that the restaurant staff refilled these on the floor, just by putting more on top. Like I said, I do feel mean saying this, but I have never stayed in a hotel where they adopt this practice and they never did at the Riu Oliva in Fuerteventura. Perhaps its me.

We didn't go to any of the a la carte restaurants,so cannot comment here.

Breakfast in the Atlantico is lovely, however you will not get a table here for love nor money at 1 o'clock here for lunch. Lovely chicken burgers (not much cows on the Island), and you can make yourself an iced coffee ;)

DRINKS - These are named brands, Smirnoff vodka, Baileys etc - the cava is lovely and medium sweet, Mojitos, vodka sun cocktails etc - all lovely :)

WATER - Free from reception and you're not limited on this either.

TIP - We took a travel kettle to make up Zara's bottles, however we managed to blow the fuse on it, at the bottom of our stairs was the bar where you could get hot water on tap, so actually this was ideal and so much easier! Make up a few and then keep in the fridge for when needed.

ROOMS - Lovely, comfy, modern - strangely no lights on the balcony! Shower - AMAZING, brace yourself for the pressure! No baths. Fridge in the room, lots of drawer space and loads of coat hangers.

STAFF - This is where the hotel becomes exceptional in my view, unfortunately Zara, became ill half way through the holiday. Through no fault of the hotel, I hasten to add. The housekeeping staff were brilliant, once I had mimed that the baby was sick, they kept bringing us fresh towels and bed linen, phoning to ask if everything was OK, and could they make the room up. Reception staff, so helpful ensuring that the doctor came directly to their room twice. Paco even arranged for us to have a room on departure day as Zara needed to be kept cool, even making sure that there was a travel cot in there - we cannot thank the hotel enough for all their help and I am pleased to say that she is now fully recovered.

This is where the adjoining room really came into its own, Zara could sleep peacefully in her cot, whilst we congregated on our balcony, we were in room 1133 and 1134, which was also only a very short walk from the bar.

The hotel room doors - these are sound insulated or incredibly thick! Open the door, noisy from the entertainment and people etc, shut the door and can't hear a thing - brilliant. Although women really, really, really should not walk about in stilettos at 7 in the morning when they are on a top floor - ha ha.

Maspalomas - well our tour of the pharmacies was good! Some nice shops, lots of the expensive designer boutiques (really??). Cheaper, more normal shops in the Centro Commercial.

BEACH - Only spent an hour here as that is the day that we first had the doc out etc. Beautiful, clean, good sunbeds and three sunbeds and a sun umbrella for €10 I didn't think too bad.

STAFF (again) - Wherever we went, the staff, from waiters to room maids asked how we were, how the holiday was, was there anything that we needed, really felt special.

SUMMARY - Riu has really lived up to his brand, in my view this hotel could even possibly be 5*!

My husband and I cannot wait to go back and I am already looking to book up (just for the two of us!) for 2015.

Room Tip: We had a room facing west, 1133, 1134 and 1129 close to the bar, but very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank jules592
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed at the Riu Club Hotel for 3 nights, and have to say its one of the best Hotels I have ever stayed in.

From the moment we pulled up in the taxi until the moment we left we had a super amazing time there.

The super friendly reception staff welcomed us to the hotel and gave us a room on the 3rd floor, and told us about the resort, and what to expect from this awesome hotel. unfortunately the room they gave us was overlooking the bar area so we asked to move so they gave us another room which overlooked the beautiful gardens on the 1st floor without hesitation. The room was stunning and so modern, with a beautiful modern bathroom, loved the picture in the bathroom and a super comfy bed!!! Loved the balcony where the sun use to hit every evening, so it was perfect to just sit and chill with a glass of wine and watch the sun go down!

Wifi is free for 90 minutes in the Lobby every day or you can purchase it for 5 euros a day or 15 euros for 4 days for fast and very reliable wifi throughout the whole hotel.

The whole resort was absolutely superb and one of the best resorts I've seen! The pools were pretty awesome from the huge sectioned pool, Kids pool with its own aeroplane and dragon to the awesomeness of the Infinity pool with its Ocean Views all with loads of sun beds everywhere though be warned sun beds go real early! and we struggled getting one at 10am one morning, the pool is also served by two pool bars one is the cool liquid lounge which shuts at around 6pm and the other one is Purple lounge which is open until late where we spent a lovely evening watching the sunset, both bars have many cocktails, soft drinks and beers on tap and you can even pour youre own.

There are around 3-4 restaurants all with there each style, Las Dunas is the main restaurant near the lobby which serves Breakfast Lunch and Dinner all with fantastic cruisine and so much to choose from, then theres Kaori which a fantastic Asian restaurant, plus theres Atlantico which serves Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner which has Greek and Canarian Food nights with awesome views of the Ocean. The whole dining experiences in this Hotel are superb and the food quality is 100%

Then theres the great entertainment which they had on each night, theres the open air stage with a huge long cocktail bar, with loads of tables and chairs, there is also a indoor theatre with a different act on each night and then theres Bubbles which is the nightclub.

The only thing this Hotel is lacking though is a shop where you can buy a newspaper or suncream from so i think they should about getting one.

The Resort is in a awesome location with a gate near the pool which leads to the promenade to Maspalomas which is around a 10 minute walk.

The staff of this resort make this place extra special too with a special mention to Katy for always seeing and checking to see if we was having a great time, they put on a lot of activities in the day for adults and kids and are always smiling and really cheerful.

All in all an absolutely stunning Hotel-Resort and we can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Try and get a garden room overlooking the pools and the ocean on a high floor.
5 Thank orlandouk
Fuerteventura, Spain
Reviewed 26 June 2014

With regard to the "hardware" of this hotel, the fully refurbished Riu Gran Canaria gives a feeling os space....moden clean design, high quality finishes and quality in every sense. The restaurants are well organised and in excellent locations....breakfast in the Atlantico overlooking the sea is just wonderful to start the day! What I found incredibly refreshing is that for a large hotel, catering for a range of nationalities and All Inclusive, RIU have managed to instil and maintain in their staff the very personal and individual treatment of their guests, often lacking in All Inclusives across the board. It was a pleasure to experience and most cetainly a point that would make me return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank JCWFUE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maspalomas
Melia Tamarindos
Occidental Margaritas
#18 of 134 in Playa del Ingles
Seaside Grand Hotel Residencia
Lopesan Costa Meloneras Resort, Spa & Casino

Been to ClubHotel Riu Gran Canaria? Share your experiences!