“Disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 220 Hotels in Maspalomas
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Sadly our recent holiday was spoilt within minutes of arriving by being allocated a room overlooking a building site. We immediately asked to be moved but were told by the manager that
only superior rooms were available until later in the week. He would move us to a superior room But only if we paid extra for the upgrade. I could'nt believe that they honestly expected us to pay extra for a room that didnt have a building site view. He wouldnt even agree to us having the upgrade until a standard room became available later in the week. Work started at 7.30 with plenty of noise so no lie in and no sitting on the balcony. Also found out that the only way to guarantee a sun bed was to go down before breakfast and 'bag one' with a towel. Even if you did this it was like sunbathing with a row of fish fingers packed tightly in the grill pan! About 20 cms between you and the next person. It reminded us of a 1970's sitcom of holidaying in Spain. The pool was not large enough for the number of guests being full to bursting most of the day.

Maybe a different experience going outside school holidays when you would have more room generally but we felt let down and certainly the hotel manager made us fell unworthy of a decent room.

If the above does'nt bother you then an otherwise lovely hotel in every other aspect ie, immaculately clean, beautiful grounds, modern comfy rooms with roomy bathrooms and delicious food every mealtime with superb views over the ocean in the Atalantic restaurant.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Jeb1161

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Just come back from a fantastic holiday at the Clubhotel Gran Canaria. The facilities were great and the view from the Antlantico restaurant (directly overlooking the Atlantic ocean) was amazing. I thought my 17 year old son might be bored but there was loads to do without the staff being pushy. Generally the staff were really friendly and nothing was too much trouble. I would definitely highly recommend this hotel.

3 Thank Christine G
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed with our 2 teenagers 18yrs and 15yrs.
Fabulous hotel, extremely clean rooms stayed in 2069 and 2070 both garden and sea views. Room situated above restaurant but this didn't affect our stay at all. Didn't have any problem with noise in rooms and very comfortable huge beds. All areas of hotel are faultless, yes there is building work going on next door at moment but unless you go and look for it you will be oblivious to it.
We all enjoyed the food and drink at all restaurants although "Atlantico" was probably my favourite not just for food but views are amazing.
You need to book Atlantico for evening meal the day before, they have alternate "tex-mex"one night and "Canarian"the next night. The Aasian restaurant was fantastic, book day before also well worth experiencing. La Dunes was just as tasty.We tried to eat at a different place every meal time. Drinks were good, cocktails a little on the weak side but can always top up with a little more alcohol.
Pools were great. Infinity pool is for adults only so a little quieter around this area, if you like more action then the other 2 adult pools are for you, fantastic children's pool looked like a small water park!
Be prepared to wake up at 6-6.30 for best beds, (especially around infinity pool) we have always had to do this at other hotels so not a problem, you can always nap in the sun later.
Our children made use of gym every morning and jacuzzi before breakfast. The promenade is also a great place to run.
Melonares is a lovely part of Gran canaria.The beach and dunes are a nice change from hotel.
Entertainment at Hotel is a little cheesy still enjoyed it though. Our children made a few friends so stayed up later than us, probably one of their best holidays. They also paid 20 euros for wifi all week which they were pleased with.
Lots of trips to go on although we didn't bother this holiday.
Hope to return to this hotel soon.

Room Tip: Worth asking for garden view
7 Thank MrsTWales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Me and my husband stayed at this hotel in June,everything about it was great,my husband likes his food and said this is the best AI ever,the Asian restaurant is rally nice,we had a pool/sea facing view,yes we was next to the building work next door,but it really didn't bother us,sometimes we was watching what they was doing,should be finished end of August,I don't no why some people are saying the main pool was over crowed,at one point in our stay the hotel was fully booked and the pool was fine,loads of space,drinks/food excellent rooms excellent,pools excellent everything EXCELLENT,could not fault at all,we defo return

• Stayed June 2014
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Suzanne S
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have just returned from a 10 day holiday at the Clubhotel Riu and was so pleased with it I thought i should share my thoughts. We travelled as a family of 6, 2 adults and 4 teenagers, we all loved the hotel, rooms were a good size, clean and well equipped, staff were very nice and helpful. Entertainment was good, the bubbles night club didn't really impress the older teenagers in our party but I liked it. Food was excellent much better than another All Inc resorts we have ever stayed in. We all joined in with the poolside activities throughout the day and if we needed a break it was nice to go for a walk along the seafront to the shopping area as it was so close. Before we went i was concerned about the comments I read regarding the building work at the hotel next door, it really didn't bother us at all so please don't let it put you off. I expect by the end of August it will be finished. My partner used the Gym, wasn't really that impressed though because he likes to use heavy weights rather than the Cardio machines, he also made a comment that the Air Con in there could have been cooler and you need to take your own water as its not provided in there.
The Adult pool and the chill out purple bar next to it is the perfect hideaway if you need some relaxation time, I used it most days to have some time to myself. All in all i couldn't fault this hotel, we have stayed in 3 on the island so far and this is well worth its 4 stars.

Room Tip: try and choose a room above reception for the best view, we had rooms 2066 and i think 3068 would be...
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Jofishpink
Porthcawl, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Traveled with my wife and three children aged 15,11,9

This was the first time that we have travelled having to sleep in two separate rooms, we knew this when booking in advance.

I emailed the hotel in advance requesting rooms close or next to each other.

I had a response fairly quick and I'm pleased to say that they were rooms 0110 and 0111

On arival it was fairy prompt, no golf buggies I'm afraid

Having said that there is really no need no matter where you are suituated.

Two minutes walk and we were in our rooms.

They were fairly basic for a ☆☆☆☆ my room had just been recently refurbished and could still smell the fresh paint.

I do have to say that they were spotless.

Air conditioning was poor but ample at 30° not really conrtolable to be honest.

We had a garden view 30 seconds walk to the pool.

You will have to get up early to get the best sunbeds I'm afraid.

I'm up at 5am daily and still the same abroad #bodyclock I didn't fail but I wasn't the first

The whole complex is 100% spotless cleaning 24-7 and also painting daily even so I could not see any reason to do so.

Entertainment was poor during the day and I'm afraid in the night also.

However we went for a relaxing break and didn't affect us to be honest.

Building work yer it is going on did it have an impact on the holiday NO.

I stood by the Liquid Bar on many occasions watching them build, and was entertaining I don't think they would pass building regulations in the UK no impact on the holiday.

I do like to have a beer however I hardly drank I found all the drinks to be heavy.

Or it could have been the weather, amstel on draft help yourself.

I did notice the difference between the self service and the bar.

They also have smirnoff and barcadi and a few others, the cocktails are good and so is the carva.

Wifi it is free for 90 min a day and would be adequate for most, however as I was still working whilst away €20 a week.

Both myself and my eldest daughter (only for my sanity) paid for the week I would have had an issue if there for two weeks. Giving this day and age and being a Riu Hotel I feel thus needs addressing.

The food was ok no complaints really I have had better and worse. Was it disappointing yes and no.

I say that because we all ate well, your always gonna complain about something.

We only ate at the el patio every night a lot more relaxed than the main restaurant.
And we didn't bother trying the grill or asian.

The hotel is in a great location if your looking for a chilled out break.

Escape from the front or rear of the hotel and your a minutes walk away from some upmarket shops restaurants.

With no pressure sales unlike other resorts we've been to.

If I've missed anything please feel free to message me.

In a nutshell did we enjoy Yes
Were we disappointed No
Would we return Yes

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
14 Thank 5StarTravel2009
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Arrived in the early hours, was assigned my room by reception due to it being dark and lack of signage took a little while to find. Once in the room I found it very clean and quite large. Only downfall was waking up to the building site next door! As I wasn't planning to stay the room all day I didn't make a fuss.

All the staff were friendly with rooms and communal areas being very clean. Food was to the usual Riu standard.

Only issue was the sun loungers, the hotel states do not reserve them, unless you are down by 0730 it would be rare to get a lounger by the poor or even close by. So in the end if you can't beat them you join them scurrying down in the dark with your towel, this was at times frustrating when 4 beds were saved and the peeps who saved did not turn up until after noon!!! Overall the hotel was fab.

Room Tip: If you want to watch TV in English press tools, scroll down to audio and select ingles
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank Tuppence0705
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maspalomas
Lopesan Costa Meloneras Resort, Spa & Casino
Seaside Palm Beach
Seaside Palm Beach
#4 of 220 in Maspalomas
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,027 reviews

Been to ClubHotel Riu Gran Canaria? Share your experiences!