“Great hotel in fantastic location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Oasis

Hotel Riu Palace Oasis
Ranked #26 of 220 Hotels in Maspalomas
London
“Great hotel in fantastic location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We have just returned this morning from a 4 night stay at this hotel. It is a solid 4 star all inclusive hotel in a fantastic location on Maspalomas beach.

Pros

-The hotel staff are very professional, friendly and nothing was too much trouble.
-The hotel interior is spacious and there is lots of comfortable seating inside and outside for guests and it does not feel crowded.
-The hotel is well maintained and very clean.
-There is a wide choice of food in the restaurants that caters for all tastes and nationalities.
-You can also make a reservation for the Krystal restaurant if you want to dine from an a' la carte menu in a more intimate setting.
-The hotel gardens are spectacular and a short walk through them takes you straight out to Maspalomas beach.Turning right out from the garden there are shops and restaurants aligning a short walkway to the lighthouse.
-If you are travelling to the hotel from the airport you can take the 66 or 90 bus all the way for four euros. Your cases will be stored in the luggage compartment of the bus and the hotel is the last stop. The bus station is directly outside the hotel and you will not miss the big red RIU sign.

Cons
-Some people complain that the hotel needs an upgrade because it is dated. The hotel does have a 1990's feel about it and it would need an update in order to be awarded 5 stars. That said the hotel is 4 star and would almost certainly need to close for a period if building work was in progress.
-The quality of the alcohol is ok, but there is a limited range of cocktails. Be warned spirits are mixed very strongly with 50/50 alcohol with a mixer.
-Although the hotel say they don't allow reserving of sun beds, this was openly flouted with guests charging down to the pool at 6:am with their towels. They then wouldn't appear until lunch time. I found this very annoying as there is no need for such selfish behaviour.
-The free wifi is only available in the lobby and is incredibly slow. The hotel should do something about this because in reality it does not cost anything to provide wifi access across the building, which they can protect with a password.

This is a nice hotel and is recommended for families and couples. It is not a hotel if you wish to be rowdy and raucous with music blaring.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
6 Thank EReview

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leven, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a weeks break in may the last week weather fantastic a beautiful hotel with lovely attentive staff, food was great for al inc also drinks at bar branded spirits but cocktails not of a great standard as pre mixed in a bottle, I enjoyed the cava all week was of a good standard and bar service always good, rooms kept very clean and towels changed often, you were given a card to collect pool towels every day and can use at the beach, the gardens were extensive and immaculate and we lay there for two of our days and felt very relaxing and a bar and seating area within the gardens so not a long walk to replenish your drinks, also lively coffees served from the bars as well, all in all we had a relaxing week here and would definately stay again.

• Stayed May 2014
      Location
1 Thank kattom t
Moscow, Russia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

I spend a holiday break there with friends for almost two week.
We selected the hotel as a 5star Hotel mentioned on their official website as well as due to exciting experiences within other Riu Palace Hotels.
But we were very disappointed while we learned that the hotel was downgraded to 4star and several services were cut (which we expected due to our previous experiences in other Riu Palaces).
Rooms and suites were very outdated and don’t fulfill the standards anymore. Internet exists only in the lobby areas with a low speed. I wasn’t able to download my emails.
Breakfast and dinner in the main restaurant was good but the quality of the lunch at the restaurant close to the pool was disappointing. Once we tried a snack from the night buffet which wasn’t eatable at all.
As a positive point I like to mention the staff on the reception which was very attentive, especially Mrs. Annika Weiss. Thanks to her efforts in organizing tickets & tours the overall impression raised.
The hotel need an urgent facelift or shouldn’t remain a Riu Palace!
I wouldn’t stay there anymore.

Room Tip: Don't book a Garden Room. You might be allocated in front of the parking zone which is very nois...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Sebastian0105
Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We visited the Palace Oasis in July this year. The Hotel is in a great location as it is right on the beach with lots of shops and boutiques along the sea front. The pool is a great size and is cleaned daily by the friendly pool staff. I have always been weary of 'all inclusive' holidays as I have not had the best experiences with food, this is by far the best all inclusive I have ever been too. The food is amazing always having different options every day. There was always food available thought out the day and night. The rooms where great and cleaned every day. All of the staff we met were so friendly and made us feel welcome. If we go back to Gran Canaria again, we will definitely be returning to the Palace Oasis.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Gemma H
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Initial impression from the outside is that the hotel looked like a 1960's concrete jungle, but this was more than offset by the qualities in the inside. As you walked in there were opulent marble floors, and mirrored columns and Riu staff in their distinctive uniforms. We were efficiently checked in and were shown where we could obtain some food as evening service in the restaurants had shut down for the night. Rooms were a bit dated but with a modern TV, decent large bathroom with two sinks were adequate for our fortnight here. The view of the car park was a bit disappointing, as would have preferred a view overlooking the palm tree gardens which were lovely.The other good things about the gardens is that they lead straight onto the beach. The hotel has one lovely pool, a jacuzzi, a small outdoor gym and a wellness/spa area. It could really do with another Jacuzzi area or small pool. The big fountain area in the main gardens had no water in it, I believe to prevent younger children swimming in it. Staff service is very good but not all the staff speak much English and there were a lot of Dutch and German guests in the first week with French and Spanish in the second week. Drinks/cocktails are local branded but come with generous measures. The cava, sherry, house white wine and beer were all excellent, some of the spirits like the gin were disappointing. There is a limited selection of alcoholic cocktails available, and the mojito's had added sugar to them which was not very pleasant. The staff did leave out some bottles for those individuals that wanted to drink later in the evening, but most people had gone to bed by midnight.
Rooms were cleaned everyday to a good standard.
There was enough fresh food to fill you up which was served throughout the day with a very large choice available. The gourmet restaurant Krystal was excellent but as it's menu does not change only worth going twice on your stay. We particularly enjoyed the veal fillet steaks. The Canarian Buffet gala night was a bit disappointing, and most of these dishes were served up over the week in the Canarian corner each night anyway
The pool area did not allow kids to use inflatables or balls, but it was a nice area to sunbathe. If no loungers available in this area then you could find plenty of loungers available in the garden areas which were lovely and peaceful. You could also see some lovely green and yellow parrots which fly around the gardens and shriek away in the trees, plus a group of 12 hoopoes pecking away in the grass looking for bugs. We particularly enjoyed the bird life. The gardens also lead onto the beach , and you have a key to get back in the hotel. The beach starts 5 yards from the garden gate and is lovely. The all inclusive works well with snacks available all day, free wifi only in the lobby area ( it is really slow particularly when lots of people using it), evening entertainment was mixed -house band were skilled but played with an awful German oompah beat which made them very cheesy, guest performers were much better.
Overall we had a lovely holiday, ate too much food, drank too much wine, but to summarise it's a lovely island a beautiful resort on the edge of the famous sand dunes, with plenty to do and if your looking for a place to have a relaxing week to 10 days ,I would recommend it. I personally think Two weeks here is too long!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank U411483
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I never ever write reviews but feel I have to write regarding our recent experience at the Riu Palace Oasis Hotel. I am a glass half full person and am neither fussy nor cynical and it takes a lot to make me feel cross enough to put pen to paper. I took my young children and their mum for what should have been a lovely all inclusive experience at a hotel blessed with some lovely garden surroundings through which you have a short walk to get to a lovely beach.

It started off so very well with us receiving a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite which was very much appreciated. However it soon went downhill. We arrived to see that although this was rated as 5 star in the Sovereign brochure it was in fact 4 star as indicated by the board outside the hotel and the service was in fact far below that.

We were told that we had ten minutes to eat our first meal as we arrived at about 9.30pm and the restaurant was closing. So we wolfed some food down before going to our room. The suite was very nice and spacious but dated. The air conditioning did not work properly though we had ceiling fans which pushed around warm air. We had to play hunt the working plug socket in the room as bizarrely the plugs in the rooms would work sometimes but not others which was very frustrating.

Now I know you don't go on holiday to watch TV (well you don't when there is some decent entertainment which I shall move onto later!) , but please for goodness sake get some English channels. There is only so much BBC news and Sky News that one can take regarding Ukraine, Israel etc.

The food itself was on the whole very good with a large choice of dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It did get a bit samey in the second week but I don't think this is really much of a criticism. One thing I would say is that some of the meat dishes still looked alive and needed cooking for longer and were not risked. In terms of the snacks, these were not freshly prepared and consisted of leftovers from lunch and dinner and looked and were a bit unappetising.

The drinks available as part of the all inclusive package were limited and became boring after a while and there were no snacks available at the bar which was disappointing.

Onto the service itself. The reception were efficient and helpful although upon checkout nobody asked us how our stay was or told us that we could use a shower etc as we had over 7 hours between checkout and leaving.

The maid service was brilliant with new sheets and towels everyday and she was tipped accordingly for looking after us

The table service was distinctly average with many staff unfriendly. We often had to wait for a table to be cleaned and laid even during quiet periods. We often had to hunt for a table for 4 and one morning i actually pushed 2 tables together myself which caused much table thumping by the waiter. If breakfast is being served till 10.30am then I expect it to be so - one morning we arrived at about 10.10 and the juice had run out and the omelette and egg section had stopped cooking.

Yet ironically when the staff wanted to be friendly they could be. Once a week external Riu staff would visit the hotel during dinner and hand out typed questionnaires to guests about the service. The visit during the second week was comical. I actually got two drinks at dinner and had no less than 5 members of staff come over and ask how my food was- this is the only time anyone came over during the whole two weeks and was so blatantly because of the visiting Riu survey staff. This was how i expected to be treated during the whole fortnight and not just this one evening.

In terms of the bar service we were often given the wrong drinks due to the language barrier which I guess is understandable. However what was more disappointing was the fact that it appeared that sometimes we were ignored. One evening we had one drink brought to our table by the waiters whilst the tables around us were getting several drinks. What was even more strange was that my family and i appeared to develop a peanut allergy in the second week as every time every other table ordered a drink they had a bowl of peanuts brought over. We however did not- it was so odd and became a subject of much laughter amongst us! Many of the bar staff were miserable.

This was nothing compared to some of the other service we received in other parts of the hotel. For example when I was in the hotel shop I picked up a pack of playing cards and asked how much they were and I was told 4 euros 50. Now I know I was on holiday but I am not going to pay £4 for a pack of cards worth about a quarter of that so I put them back. As I did so she said "sorry 3 Euros 50" as if she had made an error. I put them back on a matter of principal as I felt she had made up the original price to rip me off. My theory was proved right as my son picked up the same cards a few days later and he was told by the same lady they cost 2 Euros!!

The service in the swimming pool was equally as bad. In the second week children were banned from taking lilos and inflatables into the pool. These lilos were very few in number and had not caused any problems thus far and even the notoriously unemotional German guests were up in arms about this with one commenting to a fellow English guest in disgust "Are we not allowed to have fun on our holidays?"

However a special mention has to go to one of the security guards on site who is employed by the hotel. Now my understanding of a security guard is that they are employed to keep things secure. Is it really necessary to have them walking around with handcuffs and a truncheon looking intimidating? My family had used the outdoor jacuzzi twice with no problems. In fact it was lovely and the staff had actually encouraged my children to go in with me in attendance even though there was a sign that said you had to be 14 to use it. On our third visit one of these security guards came over and very firmly stated gruffly that it was "forbidden" for my children to be in it and he made them get out.

Now lastly the "Entertainment". To be fair some of the acts in the evening were good. Chinese acrobats were ok, The Lord of the Dance tribute was ok and Pavarotti and friends was excellent especially the two female singers. However these acts only lasted 45 mins to an hour and for the rest of the time the house band called "Treasure" took over. Now one of the other English guests informed me that he has spent years viewing, auditioning and judging acts as part of his job and he categorically stated that they were the worst band he has ever heard. They were appalling. You could hear a pin drop as they finished each song. Cynical people might say that they are employed to get everyone to return to their rooms or leave the hotel site and go and consume alcohol and food elsewhere and thus save Riu some money.

There was a kids club of sorts but since it didn't have a signing in or out procedure we did not feel safe leaving our five year old there

In the end it really did feel like prison. This was my second visit here having come 11 years earlier and it was much better then.This could have been such a great experience for my daughter's first holiday abroad but staff attitudes spoilt it. If you are going to advertise in English brochures then cater for the English and not just Germans! All staff need to be less grumpy and appreciate that it is our holiday and their employment. Be child friendly and provide more entertainment. The surroundings are lovely but the service two star at best. Avoid

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank Matt S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I returned from this hotel this morning (10/08/2014). To start off the hotel is slightly dated but very well maintained and rumoured to get rebuilt. It has it's own large gardens which leads straight onto the beach, a lovely pool and great staff. Drinks/cocktails are local branded but come with generous measures. The only downfall is there is a limited selection of alcoholic cocktails available so if you fancy a margarita don't expect to get one.
Rooms were cleaned everyday to a good standard and we had an issue with the air conditioning the first day which was sorted within 30 mins.
There was enough fresh food to fill you up served throughout the day with a very large choice available.
One thing we noticed was the hotel seemed to frown on balls and floatables in the pool, which for people with children may be off putting. The beach is exceptional and probably one of the best I've been on just be aware you may get more than you bargained for as after a certain point there is a large (actively used) nudist area.
There's everything you need there including snacks all day, free wifi, decent evening entertainment (mainly in Spanish but even the instrumental skills of the performers had to be admired). The staff are amazing, our flight was at 0300 and we had to check out at 1100 the day before. We was still approached for drinks and allowed food until we left and they even offered us a courtesy room to get showered after we had checked out!
I could write on for ages but to summarise it's a lovely island a lively resort with plenty to do and if your looking for a place to have a relaxing week or two close to home I would definitely recommend and would gladly return myself.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Nath_mazz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maspalomas
Hotel Riu Palace Maspalomas
#5 of 220 in Maspalomas
Lopesan Costa Meloneras Resort, Spa & Casino
Seaside Grand Hotel Residencia
Lopesan Villa del Conde Resort & Corallium Thalasso

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Oasis? Share your experiences!