We recently stayed at Cay Beach, Meloneras - booked via Cosmos.
I thought it would be useful to provide an overview of our holiday as some aspects were not in line with expectations.
1. Our flight from Gatwick was really delayed (5 hours delay), the actual flight itself was ok (Small Planet), the cabin crew were helpful and pleasant and being able to book a seat is certainly much nicer than the 'Easy Jet scramble' that we had to endure last year.
2. When we arrived at Las Palmas, Gran Canaria we were directed to the coach that would take us to our hotel.
3. The Cosmos rep joined us on the coach but explained that it was company policy NOT to escort people to their hotels he was merely getting a lift home to Playa Del Ingles (hence the first stop was his home) - it would have been much better to have a rep on the coach, we felt a bit 'abandoned', especially when we arrived at our hotel.
4. We were dropped off at our hotel, Cay Beach (the delay meant that we arrived past midnight) and the coach drove away. We soon realised that the hotel doors were locked, the reception lights were off and the reception desk had it's shutters down and it was closed, we were essentially abandoned outside on the street.
After we had pressed the bell for 10 minutes with no response we called the Cosmos emergency number (i recognised the Cosmos rep's voice from our coach) and we explained the issue - he called reception (i could hear the phone ringing and ringing and ringing).
After about 20 minutes a hotel employee finally appeared.
5. He let us in, checked us into the hotel, 'generously' sold us an overpriced bottle of water, gave us a terrible meal in a polystyrene box and showed us to our rooms - he didn't offer to help us with our bags or give us a trolley ..... we had to take our own bags.
Myself, my partner and our 11 year old were exhausted after a long day, some help would have been appreciated - this was also the first international trip for our 11 year old, he was quite scared at the thought of being locked outside in the dark after midnight in a different country.
6. The two bedrooms were basic but fine - both of them had twin beds though so not great for a couple.
7. In general the hotel felt a bit out of date, the food set-up was quite basic more like a staff canteen than a decent resort. We didn't pay for a budget holiday, we paid over £2200 so we were expecting something a bit better, the hotel is not terrible but there are newer and better resorts available in Meloneras - the hotel needs a revamp and an update.
A few examples:
We needed 3 pool side towels - available from reception at a cost with a 45 euro deposit (15 euro each) - we had to use the same towels every day for a week, nice.
We needed 2 remote controls for the room TVs - available from reception at a cost.
We need a key for the room safe - available from reception at a cost.
Do you have WiFi - available from reception at a daily cost
Can we have a drink with our evening meal ....yes, but you need to pay for it there and then in cash, you cannot even open a tab and pay upon departure.
8. During our stay not once did Cosmos or the Hotel Management contact us to ask us if we were ok, did we want to book any trips, this is when your coach will pick you up etc etc etc ....literally no contact from the hotel staff or Cosmos.
It's was more like a 'camp site' approach ie 'here is your door key' now go and fend for yourselves - to be fair we are 2 grown adults and a child so we don't need to be spoonfed but a bit of basic customer service would have been appreciated.
9. When we checked out the farewell was equally underwhelming - we have stayed in many hotels all around the world, the standard response when you leave a hotel is something along the lines of 'i hope you enjoyed your stay and when will we see you again' ....in Cay Beach the response was silence, i don't even remember a goodbye, a thankyou or even a smile.
On a positive note the flight back was a pleasure (Small Planet), the cabin crew were so friendly and helpful - they genuinely wanted the passengers to be happy,
In summary - flight good, hotel below expectations, customer service non-existent.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Jet2Holidays , Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK) and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Caybeach Meloneras reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cay Beach Meloneras Maspalomas
- Cay Beach Meloneras Hotel Maspalomas
- Caybeach Meloneras Maspalomas, Gran Canaria