“Beautiful Hotel, Friendly and Accomodating Service”

Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort
Ranked #11 of 216 Hotels in Maspalomas
GreenLeadersGold level
Greenwich, CT
“Beautiful Hotel, Friendly and Accomodating Service”
Reviewed 26 August 2010

I stayed at the hotel with my family of five, which includes 3 kids aged 9, 10 , & 11. The hotel itself is gorgeous and a wonderful respite from the more crowded hotels & resorts that line the coast of Gran Canaria.

The staff were incredibly welcoming and friendly and made the kids feel very welcome. As other reviewers have said, it is a great place for couples but our kids enjoyed the stay, and especially the buffet breakfasts & dinners at Gofio (the hotel restaurant).

We found the food to be excellent, in particular Camaleon, which is the hotel's fine dining restaurant. The buffet is perfect for kids who have picky tastes and loved being able to choose from a wide range of offerings. As for the adults, Gofio was great, especially since it is a buffet.

There is a game room with foos ball, pool and ping pong. The rooms are comfortable and a nice size.

The only non-kid friendly aspect of the hotel was one of the other guests! A guest took it upon himself to ask my children to leave one of the pools because "my baby is sleeping."

All in all, a wonderful trip and a beautiful hotel we would definitely return to.

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank MDtraveler168
Salobre2008, Director of Sales at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this review, 17 October 2010
Dear Guest,

We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa.

It was nice to hear that the front desk exceeded your expectations. They work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 22 August 2010

Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa: Great Design, Poor Execution!

The first impression was good, the receptionist who checked me in was incredibly helpful and very friendly, and with great efficiency dropped a glass of something into my hand, organised my car to be parked, and my luggage to be taken to my room - this allowed me to explore......

The architecture sits really well in the valley where this huge hotel has been constructed. Made from: poured concrete, dry stone walls, rusted metal panelling, drift wood, terracotta coloured rendering and earth coloured mosaic - it is both rustic, and a flash of cutting-edge design, which has then been dropped, thoughtfully, into the most unlikely spot - from where it offers unrivalled views.

However there are issues:

While the architects's and designers's proposals must have looked impressive on paper, they have created impracticalities for both the staff and the guests!

The sheer size of the place, and the distances that need to be travelled make it problematic: to get to the top floors, you need to get into 3 different lifts (up a few floors, out the lift, walk 40M, into another lift, and so on.....) this would be a slightly easier task if the signage was better!

The Architects/Designers must have thought that they had 'cracked-it' when they proposed the creation of a collection of pools, to eliminate the mad crush that occurs in so many resort hotels! However this design requires the hotel management to allocate pool staff (which it appears not to have) for all of the 6 or 7 pools!

When I arrived, HUGE piles of dirty towels were strewn 'prominently' in various locations, empty glasses sat on vacated tables, day beds, dressed in white mattress covers, surround the top-level pool, but they were all covered with dirty foot-prints and other unknown spillages...... This feature photographs well, but the reality is far from attractive. Not a single member of staff was to be seen anywhere, so the compound effect could only leave a very neglected and very negative impression!

Having made my way up to the "Sunset Bar", situated on the top level of the hotel, I took in the most INCREDIBLE views over the surrounding 'moon' landscape! I also found about 2 dozen people 'milling' about, taking photographs of the setting sun. Ridiculously, "The Sunset Bar" is not open for "The Sunset"(!?); instead it closes at least 1 hour prior! So having made my way to the top of the hotel, using the 3 elevators, and negotiating the bad signage, I was forced to realise that if I wanted a drink, I would have to retrace my steps back to the bar situated on the ground floor level.....

Once in that bar, I found myself a comfortable seat, and waited to be served. Reading a book, I guess I looked like the contented guest, as the bar man didn't (or wouldn't?) notice me, which is strange because there were only 5 other people in the bar! So after 15 minutes of trying to get the barman's attention, while he successfully managed to 'never look in my direction', I decided that I would have to go to my room and raid the minibar!

The Room: all the rooms have a good sized balcony or terrace, and face towards the rising sun. The rooms are big, with decent sized bathrooms (be careful about putting the 'do not disturb sign' on your door when you are using the bathroom, because the door to the room, opens straight into the bathroom (weird design)!

The bedroom itself contains: a bed, a TV, 2 bedside tables, and a luggage rack which as an apparent after thought has a single cushion-pad added - this offers the only seat in the room! There are no comfortable seats, no desk, no side tables - nothing! So if you buy into the costly internet access, you will then have to sit on your bed, which is fine if you are a student, but otherwise isn't the best way to get some work done!

Housekeeping is generally poor: mirrors were not as clean and they should be, in the bathroom, calcium residue is visible everywhere (haven't they heard of limescale remover?) and the towels and bed linen are only just acceptable (nice pillows though)!

It is my opinion that most of the problems with the housekeeping department stem from insufficient staff. My impression was that a maid must only allocate 10 minutes to service each room, so beyond carrying out the most basic tasks, there is no time for her to review her work, and consequently she has no time to employ that 'eye for detail' which makes all the difference.

That all said, the hotel is generally fine, the breakfast is good enough, and the freshly squeezed vegetable and fruit juices add a nice touch. I ate in the fine dining restaurant, and choose the most unlikely thing from the menu, the banana and chicken sate soup was delicious, the slow roasted duck was great, although the chocolate macaroon desert was really horrid! The staff are kindly, but in all departments, they give the impression that they were only just on the right side of chaos!

Perhaps with a little more time, the service will come together.

At the moment the design is 5*, but design is not everything, and while I guess the Sheraton Salobre has achieved its 5* status because it ticks all the boxes (and more!), the service, and the housekeeping needs to be improved if guests are to return for more!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear that you all in all enjoyed your time during your stay with us.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa.

We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize for the inconvinience caused during your stay.

As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. Again, thank you for the comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service. If you would like to discuss your experience with a member of the hotel staff, please send an email to sandra.leibrock@sheraton.com so we may address it with you directly.

Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2010

My partner & I recently returned from a fabulous 10 day break in Gran Canaria, where we stayed at this hotel after seeking a gay friendly five star hotel that could offer us a great relaxing place to stay with the opportunity to explore further afield if we wanted to.

The hotel is unique - arranged over 11 floors with 7 pools (we spent most of our time when at the hotel on the 11th floor where the sunset bar and infinity pool is). As you would expect from a five star Sheraton hotel, the whole place is srupulously clean, the rooms are extremely comfortable and the staff are very professional, friendly and helpful.

Here's a few things to bear in mind when booking a stay at this hotel:

1. The hotel is in an isolated location, within the mountains some 230m above sea level. If you wish to explore outside the hotel grounds, you will need to hire a car, ensure you're on the hotel's shuttle bus, or get a taxi. A return journey to Maspolomas (where there are great beaches and restaurants) will therefore cost you approximately €24. To or from the airport will cost approximately €45 one way. Taxis are easy to find, all air conditioned, and most of the drivers we had spoke good English.

2. This isn't really a hotel for kids (especially teenagers); it is a hotel for recharging your batteries, relaxing, and using as a base of operations if you want to travel further out using taxis, the shuttle bus or renting a car. Kids will get very bored very quickly - even with all the pools available!

3. The food isn't great - unfortunately, we eat out fairly regularly in London so count ourselves as somewhat spoiled when it comes to experiencing great food. Breakfast was included in our room price. A buffet dinner for two, including a bottle of perfectly drinkable white wine will cost €99. A two course meal for two, including a bottle of wine at the a-la-carte restuarant within the hotel will cost approximately €120. Rather bizarrely, we found ordering room service to offer the most choice and value for money!

4. Disappointingly the wine selection at this hotel is poor. We love our wine, and found the 'by the bottle' list to be extremely limited, and the slightly more adventurous selections available by the glass only (approx €8 per glass).

With this in mind, we quickly exhausted the hotel's own catering and started heading down to the beach in the mornings (via the shuttlebus) before eating out in Maspalomas in the evenings. There are plenty of lovely places to eat, although we wouldn't consider Gran Canaria a place for real foodies to go!

One of the great things about this hotel is the daily shuttle bus (free to guests) that takes you to the Sheraton Beach House, right on Maspolomas beach. The short 20 minute journey takes you to the Beach House, where you can store your belongings securely, have showers/get changed, collect towels and so on.

All in all we would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting peace & quiet in wonderful five star surroundings. The hotel seems to have missed a trick with it's wine offering especially, but with Maspolomas so easily reached, it's a small thing!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Brittus
London
Reviewed 13 August 2010

Just got back from the hotel on a family vacation and iy must confess it was quite boring. The services are great and staff are very helpful. However the hotel is not appropriate for family with teenagers. It is more geered toward couples wanting to get away from it all.
Also the food at the Goofio restaurant is not up to a five star standard at least compared to other good quality ones in the Island. Breakfast is really nice but dinner is appaling. Due to the remote location, there are no shops nearby and you will definetely require a car

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Salobre2008, Director of Sales at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this review, 17 August 2010
Dear Sirs,

thank you very much for your comments during your stay at Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa.

It is nice to hear that you in general liked our hotel, but as you said it is not quite recomendable for families with teenagers as we do not offer any kind of animation. The hotel is a perfect "hideaway" for relaxation pur.

In reference to your comments regarding the food quality, I do have to say that our variety of restaruants and the whole food and beverage offers within the resort are very good and there is def. always something for everybody. It is a shame you did not try our a la carte restaurant Camaleon. It would be my pleasure to invite you for lunch at our Poolside Restaurant or for dinner at Camaleon during your next stay with us. Please feel free to contact me at any time. Thank yo as well for your great comments regarding the spa I will def. forward it to our spa staff.

You can reach me via email.sandra.leibrock@sheraton.com

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon at Sheraton Salobre,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2010

the only flaw was that it is not suitable for children as it is made for couples and is very very romantic. Also the island and the hotels proximity to the mountains meant cockroaches and lizards beware....
the beach club is not directly on the beach and thus i do not see the point of it but the shuttle takes you there which is good. the beach is not luxury but it will do.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Salobre2008, Director of Sales at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this review, 27 July 2010
Dear Sirs,

thank you very much for your comments online.
I do have to say that our hotel is a family friendly hotel but as we do not offer any type of animation for children, they will maybe get bored during their stay. Our hotel is def. the most romantic place on Gran Canaria. Our beach house is behind the dunes of maspalomas and only a food step away from the beach. therefore our shuttle offers the service several times a day to bring you their.
As the beaches in spain are no private beaches you most of the time will meet a lot of guests and holiday lovers. If you like to have a really great view and atmosphere at the beach you should visit maspalomas very early in the morning or late in the evening and you will find yourself and maybe two or some more people, just wonderful.

Hope to welcome you back soon at the sheraton salobre.

Sunny greetings,

Sandra Simone Leibrock
Switzerland
Reviewed 5 July 2010

It's a really great place to relax and might not be the place to go if you like crowded place like around Maspalomas.

The plus points :
- huge breakfast selection
- great design
- nice view on the golf course
- very calm
- excellent value for the money
- service was not so bad (they once forget to clean our room, we call the reception to ask for towels - which I already thought they would never bring, but they effectively brought them a few minutes later and cleaned the room afterwards)
- small kids club and swimming pool

The minus points :
- food and drinks are a bit expensive and not very exceptional
- airconditioning was not very powerful (we told the reception they checked and said it was ok)
- towels at the swimming pool only available at 10 am (might be ok for most of you, but when you've a kid you appreciate to go sooner)

A tip for the golfers, check the price for the green fee and the buggy at the golf reception, they might be cheaper than at the hotel...

We really liked this hotel and plan to come back

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Salobre2008, Director of Sales at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this review, 13 July 2010
Dear Jerome,
thank you very much for your comments posted after your stay at the Sheraton Salobre.
We are delighted to hear that you are looking forward to coming back to our wonderful hotel.

We are sorry to hear that you room has not been made on one day during your stay and therefor like to apologize.

In reference to the rates for the golf course I must say that normally our rates are much better than the one offered by the golf course directly, they are not allowed to do this, but sometimes they do "switch" the rules and make their own rules.

I will also give your comments to our General Manager and to our Food & Beverage Manager to have a look at the prices and the quality.

Anyhow, please feel free to contact me at any time in the future. My email is Sandra.leibrock@sheraton.com and I am responsible for sales and marketing in the hotel.

Sunny greetings from Sheraton Salobre

Sandra
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 13 June 2010

The Salobre is set 20 min by car from the Maspalomas beach, but it is in a great location, in the middle of a "desert", which makes it really something special. It is a truly "cool" place to be at, with also "cool" guests, which makes it an awesome place to relax. Below are the + and the -:

(a) positive: location (there is a shuttle service that takes you down to the beach); beach club (right at the beach, with a small pool, showers, locker rooms, towels...great to get prepared to go to the beach!); rooms (modern and with everything you would think about, and a great, big shower); hotel buildings (located on the slopes of a hill, which guarantees great views of the nearby golf course); pools (there is an infinity pool, to enjoy the sunset, and 6 other pools all around the resort); chill out beds (just for adults, to lay down and have a drink while the sun goes down); spa area (with great service and another pool...truly enjoyable!); service (always attentive staff); big gym (with Technogym)and

(b) negative: there is not much negative! breakfast and dinner (both were good, but you would expect more from a 5 star); towels at the beach club (how is it possible that the towels at the beach club are tiny, tiny, tiny white towels?! Tip: take the pool towels with you to go to the beach); parking (there is almost no place to park, so you have to get your car in the hotel's parking...it's only 7 Euros/day, but why isn't it free?).

This is a great, great place, and I am already looking for flights to go back!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CanarioViajero
Dear Sirs,

thank you very much for your comments in reference to your stay at the Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa in Gran Canaria. It is great to hear that you liked our fantastic and also "cool " place.

all your positive points are our USP selling points for our wonderful resort. I do apologize that you were not 100 % satisfied with our food offer but thanks for your notes it is always good to know where we do have improve. Hopefully we see you soon and welcome you back at the "coolest "place on Gran Canaria - Sheraton Salobre

Sandra,

Director of Sales and Marketing
Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa
sandra.leibrock@sheraton.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maspalomas
Bohemia Suites & Spa
#1 of 68 in Puerto Rico
Gold By Marina
Gold By Marina
#1 of 134 in Playa del Ingles

Been to Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort? Share your experiences!