“Great Hotel”

Caybeach Princess
Ranked #35 of 216 Hotels in Maspalomas
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This hotel is great if you have active children because they have activities on all of the time such as Tennis, Water Polo, Table Tennis, Pool and Archery. There are three swimming pools in Cay Beach Princess Bungalows which are very clean. One of the pools is a toddler pool which is only about 40cm deep. The rep that we had was very friendly, easily accessible and knew where the best nearby restaurants were. The pool bar had decent food for a small price and all of the hotel staff were welcoming and friendly. There is and 18 hole mini golf course, two tennis courts, 3 pool tables, a table tennis table and a mini football pitch in the hotel grounds which you can hire. In the evening there is entertainment at the pool bar and if you are worried about occupying your children, they can be occupied in the arcade. The only downside is that the Wi-Fi is far too expensive. However, you don't need Wi-Fi at this hotel because there are so many other things to do. We will definitely return to Cay Beach Princess Bungalows.

4 Thank WilfredGomis

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We just came back from a week in Cay Beach Bungalows. My wife, 6 year old son and I.
The weather was fantastic and HOT.
The bungalow was very clean and functional. It was serviced 4 times.
The hotel staff were fantastic. Thomson rep was very nice and more than helpful. Pool bar was superb. Nice food, good prices and extremely nice, friendly staff.
I paid for a safe, the AC and the TV remote. TV is a waste of money as there are only 4 UK channels. The Disney channel was in Spanish more than English??
I left considerable Euros and Sterling in the safe. NEVER felt vulnerable at any time.
The AC is only in the bedroom part of the bungalow, which means the sofa bed area for the kids is pretty hot at night time. I suggested a vent through the wall from the bedroom on my hotel feedback form.
The pool was really clean. The pool area was pressure washed and vacuumed at least one morning I was up early. Regarding the pool, the rep said they do not have "sun lounger wars".
They do however have "parasol wars"!! The sun loungers are locked until bang on 10am every morning. Loads of people "claiming" parasols by hanging bags, towels or clothes on them!
Some of these circus clowns claiming parasols at 8am and hanging about until 10!! Beggars belief, really. We changed our pool spot one day as ALL the parasols were gone except one.
I felt as if I had STOLEN the spot from the people who were "entitled" to that spot!!
There was an argument that day between two guys over parasols. The hotel staff sorted it out!!!
Met a lot of nice fellow holiday makers by the pool and had a few good chats with them.
As previous feedback's have claimed there are loads of cats. They do not bother you if you DON'T feed them. Regarding cockroaches, we only saw one in our toilet, which isn't really so bad.
EVERYTHING is a taxi or bus ride away. The taxi is only 4 euros to Meloneras and 5 euros to Playa Del Ingles. The taxi drivers are all nice and very helpful with NONE of them shafting you by going the long way!!
We went to the zoo park and the water park. Both the number 45 or 70 bus. The bus stop is only 5 minutes walk. We did have to stand BOTH ways to the zoo park, which pissed me off more than a little. Adults watching you struggle to hold a child on a moving bus on pretty bad roads, while they sit and look at you!! Tossers, you know who you are.
The dolphin show at the zoo park is just overwhelming. I always get "emotional" with dolphin shows for a few reasons. My wife actually commented on why my eyes were filling up. It is a MUST to see. The restaurant was very good and well priced too.
The water park is well done. Me and my wife are not water park people but our wee one had a ball, so it was worth going. You do get charged 3.5 Euros per sun lounger!!
We had a bad experience in a restaurant in Meloneras. We waited for over 1 hour 30 mins for our meal!! Our 6 year old had cuddled up into a ball and fell asleep BEFORE his meal arrived. I had complained about the time FOUR times. When our food arrived, he was so tired he never ate his meal. The restaurant had the audacity to charge me for it. My wife ordered red wine, white arrived. I ordered veg soup, some other dish arrived. The bill included the wrong starter at the more expensive price! VERY SNEAKY. Feedback will be getting left on their website / feedback page. The restaurants was "FARO". Faro is a quality place and charges so, but the shambolic service means KEEP AWAY. I had an argument with the manager as I was paying the bill and told him to watch for my feedback! In the UK I would quite simply have NOT PAID THE BILL. However with armed police walking about, paying was the best option!!!
AN ABSOLUTE MUST IS THE DRAG SHOW. My 6 year old was laughing so much people were looking over!! It was also the FIRST night he had seen his Mum drunk!! EVERYTHING about the night was perfect. The transport logistics, the bar prices, the meal, the venue, the show, everything was superb. Free drink during the meal. The waiter was filling up my beer jug faster than I could possibly drink it. The same was true of my wife's wine glass. Thus her being drunk!!

Overall a good family holiday and quality time with my son.

JIM REAP, FALKIRK, SCOTLAND.

4 Thank James R
Yeoford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Just returned from Cay Beach bungalows with my family.(cookies of Devon)
We had a lovely holiday where we met some really nice families& new friends.(hi to James who kept us full of giggles )
The past reviews are pretty accurate with the facts around the resort.
The first thing obvious is that it is a little out of the way but walk- able to some restaurants and attractions all be it 20 mins or so.
A big thank you to the resort staff who are always polite and helpful(Carlos is a star), the rep however is less than useless at the cay beach ,just someone to sell you overpriced trips.
The pools are the main plus points here where we spent a lot of our time with the various groups of kids and friends that me made happily playing (lots of friends made here for the future of facebook).
A must for all is a trip to holiday world, make a point of going down and looking for Scotts bike hire,this is a British guy selling trips for a fair bit cheaper than the hotel.(all insured)
A must is the zig zag jeep safari, you will not be disapointed with this especially if you like a wild ride through the hills and villages ( Big Steve is a legend).
This also includes Camel rides should you fancy it and a cooked lunch & Sangria.
The resort itself is quite a bit run down with lots of places closed down but a short taxi ride will take you to whatever takes your fancy, restaurants waterpark,etc.
The place you must also visit is El Tablero,this is where you will find a massive supermarket which the locals use ,4 euros in a taxi takes you there.
There are loads of "real shops" here should you wish not to buy the mass amount of fake stuff on offer.(local shop 3 times as expensive).
Overall a great holiday,the only real complaints are the beds (far too hard) and the rip off television/wifi, but do you really watch tv on holiday?.
The entertainment is nothing to write home about but was something to giggle at, we would return to Gran Canaria in the future but probably in a different resort where there is more going on .

1 Thank 565cookie1
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Just back from a week's stay - and it wasn't long enough !

The room was spacious and clean - we arrived late at night so could not sort the aircon until the next day - but as all the windows had shutters we just opened them all and it was bearable. the aircon was just in the bedroom, but we left our door open and with the windows open too the kids found it comfortable enough throughout the week.

We did not bother with wifi at €18 per week per device - it was too expensive and the receptionist warned me it was slow too - which seemed the case throughout the island. It was good to have such honesty ! We did hire the safe though, and the aircon.

The grounds were nicely laid out, and the pool is fantastic. We had no problem getting 4 loungers every day, no matter what time we went to the pool - parasols were another matter - some people were sat by them/ reserving them from about 8am - but that's not how I spend my holiday ! We brought our own !

We only ate once at the pool bar, and never in the restaurant - drinks at the pool bar cost were what I would expect and the staff were friendly - the lunch we had was good.

We saw no cockroaches, and the cats were no problem - if you leave them alone, they ignore you - if you feed or pet them, they come back for more !

We were in 123 - which was right in the corner by the road but it was still quiet and a nice location.

The supermarket on site may be more expensive than those further away, but was fine - we did not bother going further afield, some took taxis - but I assume that wipes out any savings ! Definitely worth buying your ice creams at the on-site supermarket rather than the pool bar !

It is a bit of a walk down to Melonares - but we did it each evening to earn out food - but we taxi'd back - which cost only about 4 €. Melonares is great in the evening - a nice breeze and lots going on, but not lively. If you turn left at the lighthouse - the eateries are more downmarket, if you turn right they are more upmarket - but not over priced. We ate somewhere different every night and the food was great - but do be prepared to be hassled if you stop even for a second by the menu of a restaurant !

The market was fun - picked up the usual bargains after the usual bartering.

Also walked along the beach to Playa des Ingles - it's a trek, and be prepared for some....different sights as you walk along as a large portion of it is a nudist beach !

We used the free bus down to the beach - which is good - and the driver was very helpful when we caught the wrong one back - dropping us off outside our hotel !

We will definitely be returning !

2 Thank ChubbyCheshire
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

All I can say is wow. We have just returned today from two weeks at the cay beach bungalows and have had the best holiday with the kids.

We opted for self catering as our two girls are aged 7 and 8 and they can be a bit fussy. However we did pay to eat in the hotel on a number of occasions in both the restaurant and at the pool bar. The food was always excellent and good value for money. The Thursday night BBQ was a particular highlight and included steak, chicken, ribs etc.

Our bungalow was very clean and well appointed. The cleaners came round five days a week and generally did an ok job.

The best point of this place has to be the pool. It is absolutely brilliant for all kids and they also have two other pools for smaller children. There is also a jacuzzi that seats about 15 people as well as a full time lifeguard on duty. The pool isn't heated and can be a little cool first thing in the morning but with the weather topping 30 degrees everyday it doesn't take long to warm up.

All of the staff we encountered were very pleasant and always helpful.

If I had to make one criticism of the place is that they charge for everything extra such as wifi, air conditioning, TV and safety deposit box. We only paid for the safety deposit box and simply got used to the temperature as did most of the other people we spoke to.

We tend to go somewhere different each year so probably won't go again but everyone we spoke to while we were there planned on going back. Three families had already booked again for next year!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank James L
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

We have just come back from spending two weeks in gran canaria, Maspolomas staying at cay beach princess bungalows. We were two families so we had two bungalows the reception accommodated us so that we could be next to each other which was really good of them. The bungalows are everything you want and more with your own little yard out at the back to dry your smalls on the airer in private!!! There was a mop, bucket and sweeping brush. The kitchen was brill with a tea towel, kettle, coffee maker, pots, pans the lot! Only thing is they need to get proper tin openers!!
The reception staff were brilliant very friendly and couldn't do enough for you, especially Isabelle and Carlos! The shop in the complex has a downstairs which we didn't realise at first but there are all your essentials which you need! The pool bar again brilliant, staff fantastic! It was a very safe place to be and our 14 and 15 year olds could wander round the tennis courts and playground and we knew that they were safe! Highly recommend this place! We had a fantastic holiday and will definitely stay here again!

Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Libs16
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here twice in a year and are going back in september again for two weeks ,the bungalows are lovely the staff are very friendly,its very clean and the scenery is gorgeous.my husband and myself adore it here. Cant wait to get back there .

• Stayed April 2014