“Dont think its a 4T as its not !!!”
Review of Caybeach Princess

Caybeach Princess
Ranked #44 of 218 Hotels in Maspalomas
Reviewed 2 January 2009

We stayed in the Cay Beach Princess over Christmas and can only say it was average.
We were expecting a 4 star hotel but it does not live up to this. Thomson advertise it as a 4T but the hotel is only a 3 star.

The bungalows were nice but nothing spectacular, the swimming pool was huge but is too cold to swim in - which was a shame. There is a smaller middle pool, which we thought would be heated but was "acclimatised" (in other words freezing). Not a single person was seen to be swimming all week.
The bungalows are very clean and the maid came in every day and even washed up for us, which was a bonus.
Make sure you take a travel kettle though as the only one in the room was an old fashioned boil on the hob one.

The evening entertainment in the hotel was rubbish - so i wouldnt recommend staying at the hotel bar. There are pool tables which have seen better days and a ping pong table and also 2 tennis courts which cost about 12 Euro's to play for an hour !!
The restaurant is ok - we had a pizza and a spanish omelette so can recomend these! We only ate there once so i cant speak for the rest of the menu!

For nice restaurants walk down to the lighthouse on the beach at Faro (not to be mixied up with Faro 2 which is a dump of a shopping centre) which is about 20 minute walk where there are some lovely restaurants and shops - especially in Meloneras. Banderas restaurant do some lovely tapas.

The hotel is in the middle of nowhere - Faro 2 is about 10 minute walk and the beach and Meloneras about 20-30 depending on how fast you walk. Taxi to the beach is about 4 Euro or get the free bus.

If you want an actual 4 star hotel i would not recomend this place - the Maspalomas Dunas or the Princess hotel looked gorgeous and are 4 star hotels. Or even try somewhere nearer to the beach as if you have small children you will not want to be getting in and out of taxis all week!

And Thomson completely annoyed me !! They actually booked me and my other half seats on the plane that were not next to each other - The rep said to us "if you pay 15 Euros we will guarantee you are next to each other on the way home" and of course we werent - there was an aisle between us (they said to us if we hadnt paid this money it may have been likely that we were at opposite ends of the plane).

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 December 2008

If you like being in the middle of nowhere then come and stay here. I came with a family of 5, the youngest being 3. He enjoyed it as the pool and the park are free. The nearest super market, Faro's is about 30- 40 minute walk which is a lot cheaper than the shop on the side of the hotel. The food in the hotel is ghastly, eat out if i were you! The only good thing going for it is the cleanliness.
The beach is about 1 hours walk or you can get the free bus that picks you up outside the hotel. It doesn't bring you back to your hotel till late afternoon, so if you want to come back earlier than expected then grab a taxi, which costs 4 euro per person.
I wouldn't come here again, but if you want a quite holiday and away from it all then families and much older people will like it. The local bus service isn't expensive and is a great way to get around.
The Thomson rep didn't bother interact much with the guests so i guess if you really need to find him then you best go on a search for him. I would advise to bring your own tin opener and travel kettle. You do get sattelite TV in your room and a fresh set of clean towels every other day.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2008

I recently returned from the Cay Beach after having had a two week holiday there. We paid £766 for two weeks including flights and transfers with Thomson.
The location of the apartments for me was absolute bliss - I loved how it wasn't near anything so tended to be very quiet - there are no nightclubs or bars within earshot - simply lovely!
The apartments are very clean with maid service every other day. True, they are small compared to what you may be used to (the apartments not the maids!), but for two I thought they were fine. I didn't encounter any 'roaches in our apartment but even if I had, well, I just don't understand those people who find it strange given the climate.
Throughout the holiday we didn't encounter any problems getting a sun lounger although we were outside of UK school holidays. The pool was clean and the whole area was disinfected on a number of occasions whilst we were there.
To get air conditioning, you pay six euro a day which we did and it worked perfectly ensuring a good nights sleep - I don't think six euro a day is much to pay for this. We also hired the room safe which wasn't much money along with an additional room card to ensure continuous power for charging our mobile devices - the hotel has no wifi by the way but does have two Internet PC's.
On the first night of our arrival we ate in the restaurant - my only message to anyone considering this is don't do it! The food was truly dire and you can get much better for less money if you venture out. Speaking of which, if you want a real cheap night out then try Faro 2 - it's a short walk from the resort and has a vast array of bars and restaurants. I can recommend the top floor steak house - drop by the Banana bar first to get a 10% discount card - you don't need to buy a drink just walk past - vice versa whilst you are eating at the Steak house they give you another 10% discount card for the Banana bar! I thought Faro2 was tacky though - it's in real need of bulldozing and rebuilding - some rave about it - I wouldn't!
If you want a proper dignified night out, head on over to Meloneras with it's far more upmarket cosmopolitan restaurants. It's more expensive than Faro2 but you get a quieter evening and a much better class of people.
So, what do I think overall? Well, at the current price point the hotel is excellent value for money and we didn't find anything to complain to the hotel about which is unusual.
Things you may wish to be informed about:- 1) There were lots of school children around even though it was term time when we went - don't these parents care about their children's education? 2) There are lots of tattoo'd people around - I absolutely hate tattoo's and I'm sure I am not the only one. 3) A significant number of guests have diverse lifestyles and very open about it - having conservative views I found this to be a little distasteful

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank neilyork
Reviewed 4 October 2008

We stayed at Cay Beach Princess for a week in late September. On arrival I was a bit disappointed with the look of the reception. We travelled with another couple and were staying in seperate bungalows. We eventually found our rooms after dragging our suitcases around in the dark for a while. They really need more lights around the place.

Our room looked a decent enough size for a couple but I was shocked to find out that families are also put in these rooms and expected to use the sofa bed. I really wouldnt recommend these rooms to people with children as they are way too small. On the first morning we over heard a family complaining to the Thomson rep who quite rightyly pointed out that they are advertised as having sofa beds.

The bungalow had a patio but there was no privacy. I could not imagine we would have got much use out of it had we not been travelling with our friends in the next room.

The kitchen is in the main room with the sofa bed and again was adequet for a couple but not for a family.

The bathroom was a decent size but not the cleanest and we had to fight off an enormous cockroach which didnt get us off to a good start. There is no air con in the rooms (unless you pay extra) so the only alternative is to sleep with the window open and once you've seen a cockroach its hard to sleep!

The rooms are cleaned ever other day and there is an army of cleaners doing the pool area every morning. Overall the grounds are in good condition. There are many cats around and having two of our own we couldnt resist feeding them. Although the next day we had about 5 of them waiting!

Other hotel facilities include tennis courts, football and basketball and mini golf. There are also two internet PC's.

The hotel pool really is fantastic and as good as it looks in the pictures. It is the saving grace for this hotel as there isnt much else going for it. The jacuzzi beds were not working and I gather they havent for a long time. But there is a separate jacuzzi pool which is fine. The hotel has signs up saying that putting towels on sun loungers is not allowed, but they dont enforce it. We found that all the good spots were gone by 9am. As there isnt much shade available, those who like to have a bit of both need to get up with the others at 9am and reserve them. There are however plenty of sun loungers - although we found many to be broken and couldnt recline etc.

The pool bar is great and serves food and drink all day. They do a decent breakfast for about 3 euros and I recommend the Pizza's for lunch.

The hotel restaurant however is awful. I am glad we only chose to eat there on the last night while we were waiting to be collected. Out of interest I looked at the buffet which half board guests had to choose from. It looked disgusting and like it had been sat there for hours. We played it safe and ordered Lasagne. It was the worst meal I have ever had. Credit to the Chef for his creativity though - our lasagne was infact a shepherds pie which had a layer of pasta and cheese put on it!!!! It was the first lasagne with mashed potato I have ever seen!!!

I cannot stress enough - if you choose this hotel because of the pool, please go self catering and eat elsewhere!

The hotel is located in a quiet area of Maspalomas. The Faro2 centre is only 10mins walk (or 2 euros in a cab) away. It has some decent bars and restaurants, although its a little quiet. We had 2 really nice meals there and there is a supermarket and other shops as well as things to do for kids. It is also walking distance from holiday world which has a bowling alley, arcades and a fun fair.

Meloneres is about 4 euros cab journey away and is a very nice upmarket resort. Some amazing hotes and stunning beach front location. I recommend it for a nice evening out. Also it is right next to the sand dunes which have to be seen. If we ever go back to Gran Canaria we will definately stay here.

Playa Del Ingles is also only 4 euros in a cab and is great for a more entertaining night out. It has 4 main centres. I would recommend the Kasbah Centre for some decent dancing and drinking. Although you do get people trying to drag you into every bar. My advice would be to use them to get free drinks.

My overall feeling of the hotel when I left was dissappointing, but I think thats because Thomson sell it as a 4T hotel. It is 2T at the most. If it wasnt for the pool I think I would be complaining to Thomson about the standard of accomodation. But we did enjoy ourselves in Maspalomas and if you go there expecting 2T then it will probably be fine. Just dont expect any 4T luxury or facilities. If the rooms were modernised and air con and a room safe didnt cost extra and the restaurant got a new chef, then it would warrant the 4T rating.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank xSunLoversx
Reviewed 30 September 2008

We stayed at The cay Beach Princess from 13th sept for 2 weeks with my two Sons aged 9 and 3.
We arrived at the resort around 3am and were given a tiny map of the bungalows location. It is v difficult to find it at night as it seems a maze!! The u have trouble opening the door! Every new family seemed to have the same problem.
The pool was fantastic the best I've ever seen, the middle pool was v warm and the fact that u didn't go out of ur depth meant you could take liilte ones in who couldn't swim and walk around the pool carrying them.
We always got a sunbed even going up after 1030am, there was no one around the kids pool most of the time. Tolilets are located by the kids section which is v convenient and the swings are behind. Be careful as the floor when wet is v slippery, so many children kept sleeping, even adults.
We didn't book any trips with thomson we got the bus everywhere so cheap, bus stop opp hotel. Taxis great. Faro 2 cheap supermarket but sweets as much as bottle of wine! Chinese and steak house at Faro 2 v nice and some nice shops.
Hard Rock cafe was fantastic the kids loved it, a band will come up at 9.30 so stay for that.
The location lets this hotel down, I missed walking to the beach in the evening for a l8 nite wander, taxi's were good tho.
Felt safe coming back from faro 2 and there is a short cut turn right when u come out of the hotel and up the path, cross the road and bare right over the dry waterbed, turn left and down the path then right facing the faro 2 sign. The rep will make u turn left out of the hotel don't do it takes 10 min more.
Met so many lovely people we used to meet up after going out at the bar for happy hr (well 30 minutes) we stayed up late, but the lights outside went out at 12 and the bar shut, the lights go out automatically, we were often told to go home!! 12 isn't that larte when ur on holiday and far away from rooms so no noise. Hotel missing out on lots of money!!
We enjoyed our holiday and my boys cried when they had to come home!! Enjoy the pool :-)

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 September 2008

We stayed at the Cay Beach at the end of August. A family of four we took our two teenage boys aged 14 and 16. We arrived in the early hours of the morning, approx 3am, the bungalow we were to stay in was sweltering and there was no water in the fridge. we also found out that the air con which was in the bedroom was switched off as it was an extra. After an uncomfortable first night I was able to get some water and breakfast provisions from the site shop.

Having paid the extra for the air con and a deposit box approx. 60 Euros for the week, we made our way to the pool. What a fantastic pool it is. Deep enough to swim in but not so deep that less confident swimmers felt unsafe. It is so big that it is never crowded. If you wanted a smaller (and warmer) pool, not that the main pool was cold, there is another pool next to the children's pool. The jacuzzi is huge and works really well. It does say that sunbeds cannot be reserved but if you don't get up early, you won't get one.

The bungalows were clean and tidy and the facilities were basic but adequate. The shower was rubbish and produced nothing more than a trickle.

Maids came on most days and made the beds etc. When we called maintenance to replace some light bulbs they were very prompt and efficient.

As we were self catering we ate at the hotel restaurant several times. Prices were no different to the restaurants in town. The nearest shops, apart from the site shop is the Faro 2 shopping centre. The rep told us that this is a 15 minute walk, it took me 25 minutes. Then again I don't walk very fast. Taxis that pull up in front of the hotel every few minutes are dirt cheap, under 3 Euros to Faro 2 and under 5 Euros to Maspalomas centre. This is the best way to travel.

My eldest boy is a qualified scuba diver and he went diving with Davy Jones diving. He was picked up from the hotel in the morning and dropped back off in the afternoon. He completed two dives and it was cheaper than booking it through the Thompson rep.

Altogether we had a great relaxing week. We didn't go on any excursions as it was nice to sit around the pool. Food at the pool bar was ok for lunch and apart from the first night we had a really good stay. You really need to use the Taxis to go into town but they are cheap and plentiful. I would go back to this hotel for a week if I get the chance.

Jim Weedon

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank jimboweedon
Reviewed 27 August 2008

Just returned from stay at Cay Beach with my husband and 3 children, twins aged 8 and 5 year old.

We had a one bedroom bungalow kids slept in living area, enough room for the 5 of us. The pool area is lovely, but you have to get up at least 7am to get bed with umberella, (in fact towels were already on the beds when we would return in the evenings, this would be after midnight).

The Cay Beach is a 10-15 mins walk to faro 2 where the resturants and bars are, but there is nothing in between. it was a little earie walking back late at night as we seemed to be the only ones. The Cay Beach bungalows are great if you just want a pool holiday and don't mind eating at the same place every night, because there is literally nothing else there apart from the supermarket (which stocked everything you need for snacks, breakfast etc).

We did go to playa De Ingles twice there is lots of resturants and bars would recommend Roma, an italian with free show every night at 10( drag and elvis), very funny and fine for the kids, even tho mine were adamant that they were women!!. We got a taxi approx 3 euros, we did have to get 2 as they can only take 4 passengers.

We also went to aqualand, we purchased the tickets from our thompson rep (Ross) same price as park but you didn't have to queue, this saved us time we could go straight in.The queues to pay did not move very quickly. We had a great day, kids loved it. Food was expensive, but what you would expext from a 'theme park' I suppose.

I wouldn't stay a Cay Beach again due to location, which is a shame because I found the bungalows and pool to be very nice just a shame not much around it.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family