“would not stay again”

Ranked #32 of 216 Hotels in Maspalomas
dorset
“would not stay again”
Reviewed 28 February 2009

Hi we arrived at 2pm and the bungalow was not ready so was made to wait an hour then given an alternative which ended up being better anyway.
On entering the accomatation found no forks at all and no shower curtain. I complained to reception twice it took 3 hours to get that sorted, not bad I suppose. There was only enough hot for one person to have a shower as there was only a small holding tank for the water and it was a rush against time so about 3 minutes to have a shower then wait 20 minutes for the water to re-heat.
The pool well the main pool was just missing ice burg's and penguins it was that cold and stayed the same throughout the day so only the brave and foolhardy entered, the a lot staying put their towels out early even though there was suppose to be strict rule against this as there were very few decent sun loungers the rest needed replacing.
The cleaners came mid morning so you could have a lie in if you want unless you were half board. But don't expect a good supply of loo rolls as they would leave you none.
The resturant we only eat in there once only because it was raining heavily that evening we had to get our own menus after waiting 10 mins even though water was suppose to give them out then got told off because I fetched them my it was horrible the food was tasteless and they wouldn't let us have fresh puddings saying it was too late, it was 8.45pm!
Also as discribed it was isolated we needed taxi's to get to anyware with good food.
It is popular with some though as they go back year after year.
The thomson rep was good though.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Bedford
Reviewed 14 February 2009

I stayed on my own for a week in Mar 2007 and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The bungalows are basic but clean and adequate.The pool is fantastic and I can already see there have been improvements in the facilities since last year. I have been to GC every year for the last 5 or 6 years and this year I decided go back to these apartments. I had no complaints about the food or service at all and as far as recommendation to a best friend go I am taking her with me this year!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank Mitzy88
Norwich
Reviewed 31 January 2009

Myself and my fiance stayed here in October and had a decent week. Admittedly we didn't pay too much for this holiday (especially considering we flew from our local airport) and think overall we got decent value.

The bungalows were clean with all facilities required for a comfortable stay. I have to say the beds weren't great being two small rather lightweight singles (with seperate covers) pushed together. The pool was pretty good, again clean, with ample sunloungers available. We stayed self-catering and only ate in the hotel on our first night which was very average. Faro II is within 25-30 mins walk but we were suprised at how poor it was and wouldn't recommended it - we couldn't to find a decent restaurant within the small (quite tacky) centre and only went the one night. Although this really is the only entertainment within walking distance.

However, the hotel ran a coach service to Maspalomas beach each day which couldn't be faulted and taxi's into Melonaras and Playa del ingles are cheap and easily booked from reception. We would suggest heading to Meloneras for a more refined night out and good selection of restaurants and bars. Playa del Ingles houses plenty of restaurants and bars for a variety of tastes - with the Yumbol Centre being the place to go if you enjoy a good drag show!

Overall the Cay Beach Princess Bungalows served a purpose as cheap, clean, no-frills accomodation.

• Liked — the pool area, transport available
  • Disliked — the beds
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Derby
Reviewed 25 January 2009

We have just arrived home from the Cay Beach,the hotel is ok and we enjoyed ourselves.
We went to relax and certainly managed to do this.
Food-Dont eat in the hotel it is not very good and even the rep recommended not to(dont go bed and breakfast or half board).
We ate in Faro 2 which was ok but nothing to write home about.
Meloneras has some nice restaurants near the lighthouse but they are a bit pricey.
Pool area-Loads of room and sunbeds,not anywhere to shade in the day,we didnt mind but families may especially in the summer.The main pool is freezing,there is a middle pool which was ok and a kids pool which i assume was ok as there were kids swimming.
Supermarket-Very pricey but where isnt nowadays in the Eurozone.

Weather-Fantastic,we had one cloudy day in 11 and the temperature hit 24,25 most days even though the forecast always says 20/21.

Rooms-we had room 104 which is near the pool,this room and the one next to it are bigger than the others so we were happy,it was kept clean by the maid.

Last note is how expensive things are nowadays,we have been 5 times in the last 3 years and we are thinking of going elsewhere which is a shame as we love the island and people.

• Liked — The pool area
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JonandNik
England
Reviewed 2 January 2009

We stayed in the Cay Beach Princess over Christmas and can only say it was average.
We were expecting a 4 star hotel but it does not live up to this. Thomson advertise it as a 4T but the hotel is only a 3 star.

The bungalows were nice but nothing spectacular, the swimming pool was huge but is too cold to swim in - which was a shame. There is a smaller middle pool, which we thought would be heated but was "acclimatised" (in other words freezing). Not a single person was seen to be swimming all week.
The bungalows are very clean and the maid came in every day and even washed up for us, which was a bonus.
Make sure you take a travel kettle though as the only one in the room was an old fashioned boil on the hob one.

The evening entertainment in the hotel was rubbish - so i wouldnt recommend staying at the hotel bar. There are pool tables which have seen better days and a ping pong table and also 2 tennis courts which cost about 12 Euro's to play for an hour !!
The restaurant is ok - we had a pizza and a spanish omelette so can recomend these! We only ate there once so i cant speak for the rest of the menu!

For nice restaurants walk down to the lighthouse on the beach at Faro (not to be mixied up with Faro 2 which is a dump of a shopping centre) which is about 20 minute walk where there are some lovely restaurants and shops - especially in Meloneras. Banderas restaurant do some lovely tapas.

The hotel is in the middle of nowhere - Faro 2 is about 10 minute walk and the beach and Meloneras about 20-30 depending on how fast you walk. Taxi to the beach is about 4 Euro or get the free bus.

If you want an actual 4 star hotel i would not recomend this place - the Maspalomas Dunas or the Princess hotel looked gorgeous and are 4 star hotels. Or even try somewhere nearer to the beach as if you have small children you will not want to be getting in and out of taxis all week!

And Thomson completely annoyed me !! They actually booked me and my other half seats on the plane that were not next to each other - The rep said to us "if you pay 15 Euros we will guarantee you are next to each other on the way home" and of course we werent - there was an aisle between us (they said to us if we hadnt paid this money it may have been likely that we were at opposite ends of the plane).

• Liked — The pool was stunning and huge but too cold to swim in
  • Disliked — The entertainment
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2008

If you like being in the middle of nowhere then come and stay here. I came with a family of 5, the youngest being 3. He enjoyed it as the pool and the park are free. The nearest super market, Faro's is about 30- 40 minute walk which is a lot cheaper than the shop on the side of the hotel. The food in the hotel is ghastly, eat out if i were you! The only good thing going for it is the cleanliness.
The beach is about 1 hours walk or you can get the free bus that picks you up outside the hotel. It doesn't bring you back to your hotel till late afternoon, so if you want to come back earlier than expected then grab a taxi, which costs 4 euro per person.
I wouldn't come here again, but if you want a quite holiday and away from it all then families and much older people will like it. The local bus service isn't expensive and is a great way to get around.
The Thomson rep didn't bother interact much with the guests so i guess if you really need to find him then you best go on a search for him. I would advise to bring your own tin opener and travel kettle. You do get sattelite TV in your room and a fresh set of clean towels every other day.

• Liked — The cleanliness
  • Disliked — In the middle of nowhere
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
Hessle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2008

I recently returned from the Cay Beach after having had a two week holiday there. We paid £766 for two weeks including flights and transfers with Thomson.
The location of the apartments for me was absolute bliss - I loved how it wasn't near anything so tended to be very quiet - there are no nightclubs or bars within earshot - simply lovely!
The apartments are very clean with maid service every other day. True, they are small compared to what you may be used to (the apartments not the maids!), but for two I thought they were fine. I didn't encounter any 'roaches in our apartment but even if I had, well, I just don't understand those people who find it strange given the climate.
Throughout the holiday we didn't encounter any problems getting a sun lounger although we were outside of UK school holidays. The pool was clean and the whole area was disinfected on a number of occasions whilst we were there.
To get air conditioning, you pay six euro a day which we did and it worked perfectly ensuring a good nights sleep - I don't think six euro a day is much to pay for this. We also hired the room safe which wasn't much money along with an additional room card to ensure continuous power for charging our mobile devices - the hotel has no wifi by the way but does have two Internet PC's.
On the first night of our arrival we ate in the restaurant - my only message to anyone considering this is don't do it! The food was truly dire and you can get much better for less money if you venture out. Speaking of which, if you want a real cheap night out then try Faro 2 - it's a short walk from the resort and has a vast array of bars and restaurants. I can recommend the top floor steak house - drop by the Banana bar first to get a 10% discount card - you don't need to buy a drink just walk past - vice versa whilst you are eating at the Steak house they give you another 10% discount card for the Banana bar! I thought Faro2 was tacky though - it's in real need of bulldozing and rebuilding - some rave about it - I wouldn't!
If you want a proper dignified night out, head on over to Meloneras with it's far more upmarket cosmopolitan restaurants. It's more expensive than Faro2 but you get a quieter evening and a much better class of people.
So, what do I think overall? Well, at the current price point the hotel is excellent value for money and we didn't find anything to complain to the hotel about which is unusual.
Things you may wish to be informed about:- 1) There were lots of school children around even though it was term time when we went - don't these parents care about their children's education? 2) There are lots of tattoo'd people around - I absolutely hate tattoo's and I'm sure I am not the only one. 3) A significant number of guests have diverse lifestyles and very open about it - having conservative views I found this to be a little distasteful

• Liked — Clean, value for money
  • Disliked — The other guests
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank neilyork
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maspalomas
Bungalows Club Maspalomas
#17 of 216 in Maspalomas
Monte Feliz
Monte Feliz
#2 of 4 in Bahia Feliz

Been to Caybeach Princess? Share your experiences!