“Christmas week stay, highly recommended.”
Review of Tabaiba Princess

Tabaiba Princess
Ranked #53 of 217 Hotels in Maspalomas
Reviewed 4 January 2014

The First Choice brochure pics set a high expectation for the pool area but I was not disappointed, it's beautiful, plenty of different areas to sit, plenty of beds, although a lot of shade from the palms at various times so the best sun spots are taken by the usual towel rush, even at Christmas. Hotel reception is very impressive and the rooms were nice and big. I would agree this is a Premier rated hotel. I loved the buffet food, but I'm not fussy, especially appreciated the great breakfast with great bacon and HP sauce available. Plenty for meateaters and nice sauces and sides, but the chips always seemed empty which might annoy the kids.
Some annoyances in the room that should have been checked before we checked in and no-one from maintenance ever came.
My only complaint was the evening entertainment which is probably just the time of year. There is nothing until 10pm apart from a piano bar which was like Strictly Come Benidorm. I found it so annoying I would just sit in reception. If your over 70 then you might like it. At 10pm a show which was ok, although the showroom lent itself to a nightclub and that would have been much better, not a rave club, but a nice chillout bar type of club for all ages after dinner.
I would definitely go back.
One last thing - no water anywhere to drink apart from asking for a cup at the bar when its open, how weird for all inclusive and you not even allowed to fill up a container in the restaurant. Have to buy from supermarket. Also take a kettle and tea/coffee otherwise you can only get it when the restaurant of bar is open.

5  Thank chris_hampson

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Having read some of the recent reviews of the Tabaiba Princess we must have stayed somewhere else. I could not relate to most of the criticisms I have read and wonder what these reviewers?? expect.

We have just returned from spending Christmas at the Tabaiba and could not fault any aspect of our stay. From the moment we arrived until the time we had to leave we could not have expected better. The food was always freshly cooked with plenty of variety whether at breakfast, lunch or dinner. The room was cleaned every day with fresh towels provided whether they were requested or not.
The entertainment was varied throughout the week and all the vocal acts sang live to backing music. Usually the entertainment consists of the animation team miming badly to the standard tribute shows namely Grease, Abba, Michael Jackson etc. The entertainment board displayed the acts for two weeks at a time therefore those staying for a fortnight did not see repeat shows.
The music in the piano bar was also different each evening. The best part of the entertainment programme was that if we did not fancy seeing a particular act we could walk around the corner without going outside and watch the show at the Maspalomas Princess. Some nights we watched two shows when the start time was varied.

The Gala Christmas dinner was so well managed with all the chefs, waiters and waitresses working their socks off to provide a really good evening. Full marks to the Hotel management.

The pools were very clean and the free access to the two sauna rooms and the steam room were a pleasant surprise and would normally have to be paid for.

It is the easiest thing in the world to criticise and some will always find fault and nit pick but overall this hotel was the best we have stayed at, having been seasoned travellers for nearly thirty five years.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor overlooking the small pool (1263) The room was comfortable and quiet
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Roger M
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Having returned from this hotel yesterday I felt compelled to write my first ever hotel review. Having looked at the brochure to see its five star premier rating and some of the claims it made about the hotel I felt I had to put these straight.
Firstly it claims five pool bars, yes, however there only two for the all inclusive guests on the side of the hotel you are staying at (there are two hotels joined together) the others you have to pay for.
If you are all inclusive you get smaller sized glasses than the guests who have to pay. If drinking lager you get half pint glasses compared to pint sized ones for paying guests.
There are no serve yourself bars on this complex, what they actually mean is at meal times in the main restaurant you can serve yourself with wine, beers or soft drinks from the drinks machines or taps. There were no limits here and this worked well. There is a water tap at the pool bars for anybody to use which is self service.
The restaurant want guests to wear long trousers for dinner but at lunchtime shorts are acceptable. The food is quite average there is plenty of it, and there is something that most will find palatable. There is a claim of show cooking.... Oh they must mean a chef cooking at a station in the corner, however the meats they cooked here were delicious and fresh, a definite must! Most fruit and veg is tinned with only watermelon, oranges and grapefruit available fresh. The standard of food here cannot be put against five star hotels like the Sensatori Hotels or the Holiday Villages offered also by Thomson/First choice which means this hotel food is sadly lacking in imagination and variety.

At this standard hotel I do not expect to be told there is wifi, safe deposit boxes and fridges there then have to find that they are payable locally. This is petty I expect this from lower rated hotels. These hotels charge enough for the holidays, want the status yet resort to silly things like this.

There are plenty of activities in the day, the pools are spacious and around the outside area is very shaded with plenty of Palm trees which I can imagine are fabulous in the height of summer.
The evening pianists are very seventies and cheesy choosing to play with synthesisers that drown out any piano playing they can do! The evening entertainment is standard copy acts you expect abroad none of them particularly good but it makes for a good atmosphere down in the salon.
The staff vary from being pleasant and amiable to some bar staff outside needing a lesson in customer service.
On face value the hotel, looks lovely with spacious rooms and lovely pool area but its downside is that you can see now where it's trying to cut costs and for me it is where it lets itself down and should not be trying to claim a five star premier rating.

8  Thank J0Leigh
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Standard rooms were clean and modern, beds slightly on firm side, air-conditioning was effective. it was not too noisy, bathroom was spacious, well maintained. Incredible number of Palm trees in gardens. Food fresh and plentiful, not as varied as some places I have stayed, but you should be able to find something appetising, fish, seafood, meats, salads, vegetables, cheeses, breads, deserts. that said it would help the vegetarians if there was a little more labelling. Reception of cathedral like proportions, plenty of sofas around to sit and enjoy the all inclusive drinks, including tea - and decent coffee - if you got the coffee at piano bar.- don't bother with coffee machine in breakfast room. As well as the main dining room, there is a pool bar serving food for the all inclusives during the day. I liked the area, finding maspolomas/ melonores so much more attractive than awful playa las Ingles. That said hotel is not in the middle of town - it is a fair walk or 3 euro taxi ride to the sea front at El faro, but pleasant to stroll around once there, and the beautiful dunes are nearby. The boat ride to Mogan for the Friday market was a pleasant day out, Palmitos park also lovely. Two very good go kart tracks on the island. The only sour note was that although the cleaners at taibaiba Princess did a very good job of cleaning, they did one day 'clean up' a necklace I had omitted to lock in the safe. Do pay for and use the safe at this hotel, as things do disappear. Fortunately the necklace was silver and so not hugely valuable, but it's theft was nonetheless annoying, ok so I have to take responsibility for not locking it away, but it is very easy to forget on holiday. You also have to pay to use the safe for the week. There was daily entertainment at the hotel, but I was not very interested in it. Overall a very good and comfortable hotel, but with a few reservations as mentioned. TV in room has a few American movie channels and Sky news in English. Plenty of channels in German and Spanish!

6  Thank DelUk
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately I would have liked to have written a decent ish review of this hotel but on the morning of check out we discovered that my ipad had been stolen from my room.

The rooms all have safety deposit boxes but the hotel feels it's necessary to charge 13.50 euros to hire for the week. Now this isn't a huge amount of money but the safe costs nothing to run so in principle the safety deposit box should be included in the price of the holiday.

Anyway as a group of 8 who travelled together we hired 3 to keep our money and passports in but the iPads did not fit.

We hid our ipad in our room and didn't use it at all as the hotel
also wanted to charge for wifi - 19.50 euros for 1 week to be precise!

The suspicious thing was that on the day before we checked out we arrived back to our room in the afternoon to discover that a do not disturb sign had been put on our door (which we did not put there). When we went into our room our original one was still on the inside of our door, so we then had 2. Our room also hadn't been cleaned...so it seemed to us that the cleaner or someone put that sign on to make it look like we didn't want our room cleaned but in fact someone went into our room and stole our ipad! Their excuse being 'I did not clean just day as the do not disturb sign was on the door'. Hmmmmm!!!

Upon check out when we reported this to the hotel, they wasn't very interested at all and just said they would check the room. But of course we had already turned it upside down searching for it, but of course nothing was found. It shocks me that one of their staff is stealing from Guests but they really didn't seem to care.

So the if you are already booked to go, do pay the 13.50 Euros for the safe and ensure you put everything of any value in the safe...do not risk it as the cleaner will steal your stuff if you're not careful.

If you're considering booking...I would think twice...I shall certainly steer very clear and be telling everyone I know of our situation.

Simply put-you just do not expect people to steel from you when you are staying in a nice hotel on holiday!

Stayed: December 2013
15  Thank KellyRoberts6511
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

After reading sone of the reviews about this hotel I almost cancelled my booking. However...having stayed at the hotel my experience is very different.
Food...outstanding and plentiful. I always common about hotel food but have nothing but praise for the quality on offer.
Rooms...Clean and spacious with reasonable quality furniture.
Pool...Huge!! Plenty of sunbeds but spoilt by people putting towels out and going off not using them.
Entertainment...Not bad at all...considering it was also free how can anyone complain?
All in all it was a pleasant ecperience...drinks on all inclusive were much better quality than I expected. Staff all worked really hard and were very friendly throughout the hotel.
Only reason for not 5 star is location...would be nice to be closer to a tow.
Overall very good.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank SteveRobson
Reviewed 14 December 2013

The hotel looked lovely just as described and shown in pictures, the twin room was a god size and beds very comfortable, we also got the balcony room we requested with a lovely pool view. The Pool Area was very large and beautifully set out, ample sun beds but a fight to get some in the sun!

We stayed All Inclusive and could use from the moment we arrived and all day on the last day as well which was great! The Breakfast Buffett was good, lots of choice from hot food, cheese, meats, salmon, bread, pancakes, cereal, fruit , tea coffee and juice something for everyone.

The Lunch was a large Salad Buffett, main dishes of Fish, Meat, Pasta, Pizza etc.. and desserts, if you didn’t want such a big meal then the Pool Snack Bar had Burgers, Hot Dogs, Sandwiches etc..

The Evening Meal was again large Salad Buffett, main dishes of Fish, Meat, Pasta, Pizza etc.. and desserts, they sometimes had Theme Nights but only two in the week we stayed, you also get one A LA Carte Meal but we didn’didn't do this as my friend is vegetarian and they didn’t have much choice so the buffet suited us better.

My only negative comment is about the drinks, we stayed all inclusive and could get local spirits and mixers, wine, beer which was great but I am pretty sure that the drinks are watered down with very low alcohol content, don’t get me wrong we didn’t go away to get rolling drunk but they where defiantly very weak and had no effect what’s so ever other than being very sweet. We did see you could stay Premium All Inclusive to get named brands, this wasn’wasn't offered to us when we booked but would say if not that much more would be worth it!

The entertainment is much what you would expect they had a children’s club and then adult entertainment which consisted of Tribute Shows, they where ok but just as I expected.

All in all it was a good holiday and nice hotel – good value for money! You get what you pay for at the end of the day x

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends