“Fourth stay at this hotel and would go back again”
Review of Tabaiba Princess

Tabaiba Princess
Ranked #53 of 217 Hotels in Maspalomas
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed with my daughter on this occasion. Had emailed to get a certain room but didn't get it. Had a lovely stay. Food great pool area beautiful. Would stay again in the future. The staff are friendly and helpful. The drinks are a let down and struggled to find one that was drinkable but never the less had a good time

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank terry156

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We went to the Tabaiba Princess for a week, just before the school holidays started in July.

Overall this hotel is a very good 4* standard, not quite the 5* which I don't know why First Choice insist on marketing it as; even the hotel sign outside says 4*! However, I feel the price was fair for the service we received.

Taxis to the beach or the hustle of Playa Del Ingles are between 4 and 5 euros depending on the time of day/night, although it's a nice walk down to the lighthouse which takes about 25minutes, from which you can walk down the promenade to the upmarket shops and bars of Meloneras.

First thing to note is there are two hotels on the site which are a mirror image of each other. The one on the right from the front of the hotel is the Maspalomas Princess which is half board, the one on the left is the Tabaiba Princess which is all inclusive. Remember this when you get off your transfer coach - a number of people who got off the coach at the same time as us went into the Maspalomas by mistake -meant we got checked in first though!

On arrival, although we were too late for the all inclusive restaurant, we were given a voucher to take to the half board bar to get a sandwich and an apple - not the greatest meal ever but at least they think about you.

On the pool towel charge - there is a note in your room explaining that the 1euro charge is an environmental levy to try and reduce the amount of towels they wash. We took our own beach towels anyway and I don't see why, as long as you hang them out to dry on the airer on your balcony each day you would need these changing anyway, especially if you're only staying a week? Do you wash your towels after every use at home?

Also it seems they must have forgot to lock our fridge as it was open the entire time we stayed and we didn't pay. Lucky us!

Pros -
- Food was EXCELLENT. My previous experience of all inclusives had made me a little wary of the food. Previous hotels it's been evident that food was being recycled across a number of days meals which is slightly off putting, not in this hotel. I have never seen such attention to ensuring fresh food is constantly being put out - they were replacing dishes when they slightly over half empty. This also continued right up until they stopped serving. A couple of times we went down to breakfast at about 10:15, breakfast finishes at 10:30. In most hotels I've stayed in this would mean you were stuck with what was left,not in the Tabaiba! They were still bringing out fresh batches at 10:20. Every meal there was a wide array of choice so you will never go hungry. This is a key thing for me with all inclusives and I would definitely assure any future visitors they have no worries.
- Very clean hotel, and environmentally conscious, there are recycling bins everywhere which I liked especially given its island location.
- Very large pool area with tons of sunbeds, never had an issue finding one either in the sun or the shade depending on what we felt like.
- Nice quiet location.
- All inclusive drinks selection was very good - I recognised some of the drinks as the same "cheaper brand" supermarket versions you get in the UK, such as the Bali malibu and Eristoff vodka and estrella dame beer. Measures are typically "continental"; no disappointments there! Service was occasionally a bit slow but the staff do their best - I think there were less staff on when we travelled as it was before the main school holidays. Didn't ever bother us really as we were there to relax not be frantic.
- Outside seating area around the piano bar was very good, with lots of modern looking white chairs and sofas.

Cons
- Paying for wifi. This should be free as standard in a 4*,or if they do insist on charging (19 euro for the week!) Don't restrict it to two devices (of which you can only use one at a time) and it should be faster. Yes I know you're meant to go on holiday to get away but it's always good to remind those back at home what a lovely time you're having...
- Air conditioning. The air con in the rooms is a bit pathetic. We took to leaving our tesco clubcard in the power switch thing during the afternoons so they air con stayed on whilst we were out so that it was bearable when we wanted to go to sleep.
- Random cats. As previously mentioned there were quite a few random cats throughout the hotel grounds. I don't suppose the hotel can do much to keep them out but it was a bit odd.
- No water in the rooms. Again this is usually standard in 4* all inclusives that they give you a bottle of water each day. Equally as odd were signs in the restuarant (which is all inclusive...) telling you that filling of water bottles from the self service water dispenser was not allowed. VERY STRANGE given you can walk up to any of the all inclusive bars and have as much water or other drinks as you want so what's the big deal!?!

One thing we did this time was to hire a car and go driving over the mountains in the interior of Gran Canaria - a very "interesting" experience and well recommended to see something different from the usual beach scene.

Overall I would stay again, based on the quality of the food alone.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank xtommox
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We enjoyed a 2 week break at this hotel, the facilities and food were excellent and we found the staff very friendly and helpful. The grounds and pool areas are extremely pleasant and there was no problem in finding a sun bed at any time. We would certainly return in the future

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Norman H
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We spent a week at this hotel at the beginning of July and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. After spending months trying to find a decent holiday we chose this hotel based on the good reviews and weren't disappointed!
The food was amazing! There was always fresh fish and meat! The staff would always bring out fresh food and there was plenty of choice! The desserts were also very nice! I really enjoyed the canarian night and loved the idea of champagne breakfast on the Sunday. I'm sure I put on loads of weight from all the food I ate which is credit to the quality of food on offer! I was also pleasantly surprised to see sushi at the snack bar, makes a nice change from the burgers and chips.
The hotel itself was always clean and the size of the hotel means that there were always free sunbeds! Staff were also very friendly.
It was my partners birthday whilst we were away and we received a complimentary bottle of chilled cava in the room. Despite this being an all inclusive hotel, we thought this was a nice touch.
The nighttime entertainment isn't the best and is usually conducted in several languages, however this had little impact on us. However, The musician playing in the decking area by the main bar was very good.
Maspalomas itself is a lovely resort and taxis are cheap enough if you don't fancy the walk.
We also found it beneficial that there was a doctor on site.
On our last day our pick up for the airport was at 4:30 am, the kind staff opened up the restaurant especially for the two of us at 4am so we could have a quick/small breakfast!
I would definitely recommend this hotel and would return without a doubt!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Ffion_wyn
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Just got back from a week there - lovely and clean, good food, beautiful pools and always a sunbed. However . . . . . . paying for the fridge in the room!! 3 euros a day! Paying for replacing the pool towels! Very difficult to find some drinking water at times during the day - the reps answer was to go to the supermarket over the road - very good as we were all inclusive. Not impressed. Oh, and they insist on credit/debit card details up front - just in case they want to charge you for something!

Quite a trek - at least 30 minutes - to the beach with no courtesy bus or anything, although taxis are available.

The staff all appeared as if they had been told not to fraternise with the guests; efficient, prompt, good at their jobs but my goodness not at all sociable or chatty. A smile never hurt anyone and certainly helps on holiday.

Also: entertainment. Very very poor, apart from one Spanish dancing troupe on our last night who were absolutely superb.

On the up - very generous with the drinks, spotlessly clean, comfortable beds and nice rooms. When we first arrived weren't impressed with the island or the hotel but after travelling around we realized that we appeared to have the best hotel by far in the area. Won't be rushing back.

Room Tip: There are 3 floors, all accessible by lifts, not the best wheelchair access but they are accessible...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank meg93
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Got back a couple of weeks ago from Tabaiba princess and cannot complain! Sunshine, food when I want it, drink when I want it and a bed to sleep in at night. A great sized pool, plenty of food choice throughout the day. Not sure I could do any longer then a week but that is just my opinion, was just what I needed and would recommend this hotel to anyone!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank George J
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

What a lovely hotel!!
As always the weather in gran canaria was scorching hot so I would normally be satisfied with just a good bed to get my head down on.
However this hotel was so much more!
Wonderful staff whom are more than happy to assist you no matter how big or small the task. Huge hotel which is very spacious, so you never really feel as though there are a great number of guests staying. Immaculate and clean throughout, can't fault it!
Rooms are large and clean, huge bath/great shower, the most comfortable beds great air con and balcony views over pool bars.
Breakfast was fantastic, huge choice, I enjoyed the fresh fruit and yogurt every morning. Evening meals where fantastic also with such a great variety on offer, I ate more in a week then I would normally consume in a month at home.
Evening entertainment was a little naff to be honest but that's just my personal taste.
Waiters were lovely and are worthy of every tip you leave them.
4 huge swimming pools and never a problem getting a sunbed so no need for the 6am alarm clock to get towels on sunbeds (although some guests did anyway)
I really don't have nothing bad to say about the hotel.
25 min walk to sand dunes or 3€ taxi ride.
Will definitely stay here again xx

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family