“Home from home!”

Ranked #53 of 220 Hotels in Maspalomas
Hampshire
“Home from home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was our 4th time in this hotel.

We were met at the airport by a rep but he did not accompany us back to the hotel; instead we had an automated message on the bus stating that the coach amenities would be shared with sister companies. Unusually, we were some of the last people to be let off the coach. On previous occasions the Tabaiba/Maspalomas was the first drop-off point.

We were dealt with quickly by the reception staff when we arrived after 11 at night. Even then the front desk is an amazing entrance. The restaurant was already closed but we were given a voucher for a piece of fruit and a sandwich from the piano bar at the sister hotel, the Maspalomas Princess. Staff there supplied a soft drink too. Just enough before getting to our rooms and bed for the night.

The hotel was not close to full so was fairly quiet. It did get busier later in the holiday but it remained quite quiet throughout, but then the English school holidays were on the horizon.

Our room was only a couple of doors away from the lift but you would not have known that.

Staff were very friendly, some willing to engage with you, even if only a few words from domestics, ground staff or front-line staff.

Early in the season not so much food was laid out at mealtimes but still with sufficient choice. Plenty of fresh vegetables, fruits, meats, fish and poultry. Also included were a selection of soups, cheeses and puddings.

You can have all your meals in the main buffet restaurant or you can have food at poolside from La Choza, where a selection of mostly fast foods was often very well-presented. Mid-morning tea and biscuits as well as mid-afternoon "kaffee mit küchen" were available.

Piano bar entertainment was the usual - aimed at the 45+ crowd, so lots of easy listening standards, performed by professionals on piano, guitar, saxophone and a Timple - a Canarian 5-stringed instrument related to a ukulele.

We did not see much of the reps at all. We did have a welcome pack left in our room and we knew where to find the reps if we needed them but on the whole they kept to a few central spots where they could be found.

Rooms cleaned daily and on occasion anything missing was dealt with by the front desk immediately. We used the safe for cash, credit cards and passports but felt safe enough to leave Kindles, iPods and mobiles out charging during the day.

The pools were clean and not overly busy and there were plenty of sunbeds available, with the usual handful pre-booked by the selfish - not all Germans by any stretch of the imagination. A word of warning though - the sand/gravel does get very hot if it isn't in the shade so some suitable footwear is needed.

There appears to have been some refurbishment going on - new décor, seating, decking and artwork.

Lots of nationalities here - this varies with the school holidays. If you are one of those English, anti-Johnny Foreigner lot, maybe you should holiday elsewhere.

TV in the room has only about a dozen or so channels; Sky news, CBS, and a couple of movie channels in English.

Some facilities are shared with the hotel attached, so if you particularly enjoyed the Elvis tribute one week, you can catch him next door the following week only a two minute stroll through the hotel.

Relaxing under a banana palm or a coconut one with a cold beer with not a care in the world.

Would I return? - A no-brainer - a resounding yes.
Would I recommend this hotel to others? - Without a doubt.

If you want an honest reply to any of the negatives in some reviews, drop an e-mail and we'll put you straight.

14 Thank 1959Stewart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

My family and I visited the Tabaiba for a week recently. I did choose the hotel from the photographs and reviews on TA and was not disappointed. The hotel and grounds are beautiful, all areas are extremely clean and the rooms were larger than expected. True it is not a 5* hotel but it is a very good 4*. The food is fantastic, no complaints at all and I'm a vegetarian. The salad was always fresh and replaced regularly. The fish was lovely too and always a choice. Plus a chocolate fountain appeared a couple of nights so my 11 year old was delighted!
Loved the pools, we tended to base ourselves close to the baby pool as there was plenty of shade there which meant you could get out of the hot midday sun plus it was close to the bar!
I would have rated the hotel an excellent apart from one occurrence. My husband and daughter had visited Aqualand and my husband had grazed his elbow so unfortunately that night bled over the sheets. I fully expected his sheets to be replaced so was very surprised to find out that this was not the case. I didn't complain as we only had one remaining night and I do appreciate that sheets aren't changed every day, probably every couple of days but I did expect house-keeping to change that.
We did visit the gym located at the sister hotel and it was a very basic one in that some of the machines were quite rusty and didn't work very well. However I guess we were in the minority as there was never more than three people there with us!
Apart from those two observations, thoroughly recommend Tabaiba Princess. A fantastic break and the Cava we drank all week was delicious!!
Only other points to note, I picked up on TA that you needed to take towels for pool, we didn't as they were supplied but we we were all-inclusive so don't know if that's the difference. We took our towels to Aqualand so they were used but we didn't need for hotel pool. Also we didn't get charged for the water in the room (although we only drank one bottle). We also took pillows but I didn't find the beds hard and we slept very well. Air con was a little ineffectual but we weren't uncomfortable with it. The other comment is that I didn't like two of the evening entertainment events that used livestock in the shows particularly the magician who shoved the doves around and held the rabbit badly as he took it round the audience. It's 2014 not the dark ages, you don't need to use animals or birds in the shows!
Visit - you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor over looking the gardens and to the side of the mini-golf. Was very qu...
4 Thank AmandamH
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We came with my daughter and her partner, twin boys aged 4. Everything was perfect. My husband suffers from coeliac disease Carlos looked after him every night in the restaurant if there was not anything suitable he would ask chef to cook him something thank you all staff . Hotel was spotless, staff very helpful, food very good. I've always been happy to stay in princess hotels.

• Stayed June 2014
7 Thank Elizabeth B
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed with my daughter on this occasion. Had emailed to get a certain room but didn't get it. Had a lovely stay. Food great pool area beautiful. Would stay again in the future. The staff are friendly and helpful. The drinks are a let down and struggled to find one that was drinkable but never the less had a good time

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank terry156
Telford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We went to the Tabaiba Princess for a week, just before the school holidays started in July.

Overall this hotel is a very good 4* standard, not quite the 5* which I don't know why First Choice insist on marketing it as; even the hotel sign outside says 4*! However, I feel the price was fair for the service we received.

Taxis to the beach or the hustle of Playa Del Ingles are between 4 and 5 euros depending on the time of day/night, although it's a nice walk down to the lighthouse which takes about 25minutes, from which you can walk down the promenade to the upmarket shops and bars of Meloneras.

First thing to note is there are two hotels on the site which are a mirror image of each other. The one on the right from the front of the hotel is the Maspalomas Princess which is half board, the one on the left is the Tabaiba Princess which is all inclusive. Remember this when you get off your transfer coach - a number of people who got off the coach at the same time as us went into the Maspalomas by mistake -meant we got checked in first though!

On arrival, although we were too late for the all inclusive restaurant, we were given a voucher to take to the half board bar to get a sandwich and an apple - not the greatest meal ever but at least they think about you.

On the pool towel charge - there is a note in your room explaining that the 1euro charge is an environmental levy to try and reduce the amount of towels they wash. We took our own beach towels anyway and I don't see why, as long as you hang them out to dry on the airer on your balcony each day you would need these changing anyway, especially if you're only staying a week? Do you wash your towels after every use at home?

Also it seems they must have forgot to lock our fridge as it was open the entire time we stayed and we didn't pay. Lucky us!

Pros -
- Food was EXCELLENT. My previous experience of all inclusives had made me a little wary of the food. Previous hotels it's been evident that food was being recycled across a number of days meals which is slightly off putting, not in this hotel. I have never seen such attention to ensuring fresh food is constantly being put out - they were replacing dishes when they slightly over half empty. This also continued right up until they stopped serving. A couple of times we went down to breakfast at about 10:15, breakfast finishes at 10:30. In most hotels I've stayed in this would mean you were stuck with what was left,not in the Tabaiba! They were still bringing out fresh batches at 10:20. Every meal there was a wide array of choice so you will never go hungry. This is a key thing for me with all inclusives and I would definitely assure any future visitors they have no worries.
- Very clean hotel, and environmentally conscious, there are recycling bins everywhere which I liked especially given its island location.
- Very large pool area with tons of sunbeds, never had an issue finding one either in the sun or the shade depending on what we felt like.
- Nice quiet location.
- All inclusive drinks selection was very good - I recognised some of the drinks as the same "cheaper brand" supermarket versions you get in the UK, such as the Bali malibu and Eristoff vodka and estrella dame beer. Measures are typically "continental"; no disappointments there! Service was occasionally a bit slow but the staff do their best - I think there were less staff on when we travelled as it was before the main school holidays. Didn't ever bother us really as we were there to relax not be frantic.
- Outside seating area around the piano bar was very good, with lots of modern looking white chairs and sofas.

Cons
- Paying for wifi. This should be free as standard in a 4*,or if they do insist on charging (19 euro for the week!) Don't restrict it to two devices (of which you can only use one at a time) and it should be faster. Yes I know you're meant to go on holiday to get away but it's always good to remind those back at home what a lovely time you're having...
- Air conditioning. The air con in the rooms is a bit pathetic. We took to leaving our tesco clubcard in the power switch thing during the afternoons so they air con stayed on whilst we were out so that it was bearable when we wanted to go to sleep.
- Random cats. As previously mentioned there were quite a few random cats throughout the hotel grounds. I don't suppose the hotel can do much to keep them out but it was a bit odd.
- No water in the rooms. Again this is usually standard in 4* all inclusives that they give you a bottle of water each day. Equally as odd were signs in the restuarant (which is all inclusive...) telling you that filling of water bottles from the self service water dispenser was not allowed. VERY STRANGE given you can walk up to any of the all inclusive bars and have as much water or other drinks as you want so what's the big deal!?!

One thing we did this time was to hire a car and go driving over the mountains in the interior of Gran Canaria - a very "interesting" experience and well recommended to see something different from the usual beach scene.

Overall I would stay again, based on the quality of the food alone.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank xtommox
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We enjoyed a 2 week break at this hotel, the facilities and food were excellent and we found the staff very friendly and helpful. The grounds and pool areas are extremely pleasant and there was no problem in finding a sun bed at any time. We would certainly return in the future

6 Thank Norman H
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We spent a week at this hotel at the beginning of July and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. After spending months trying to find a decent holiday we chose this hotel based on the good reviews and weren't disappointed!
The food was amazing! There was always fresh fish and meat! The staff would always bring out fresh food and there was plenty of choice! The desserts were also very nice! I really enjoyed the canarian night and loved the idea of champagne breakfast on the Sunday. I'm sure I put on loads of weight from all the food I ate which is credit to the quality of food on offer! I was also pleasantly surprised to see sushi at the snack bar, makes a nice change from the burgers and chips.
The hotel itself was always clean and the size of the hotel means that there were always free sunbeds! Staff were also very friendly.
It was my partners birthday whilst we were away and we received a complimentary bottle of chilled cava in the room. Despite this being an all inclusive hotel, we thought this was a nice touch.
The nighttime entertainment isn't the best and is usually conducted in several languages, however this had little impact on us. However, The musician playing in the decking area by the main bar was very good.
Maspalomas itself is a lovely resort and taxis are cheap enough if you don't fancy the walk.
We also found it beneficial that there was a doctor on site.
On our last day our pick up for the airport was at 4:30 am, the kind staff opened up the restaurant especially for the two of us at 4am so we could have a quick/small breakfast!
I would definitely recommend this hotel and would return without a doubt!

• Stayed July 2014