“Yes and No from us”
Review of Tabaiba Princess

Tabaiba Princess
Ranked #53 of 217 Hotels in Maspalomas
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We loved the location, as we love walking a little way to get to places. The all inclusive food is fab, and the drinks/cocktails available are amazing. Most of the bar staff were excellent and really made an effort to get to know us. They went out of their way to be helpful and lovely. The range of entertainment is great and we liked the fact that you could attend at either hotel so this extended the range available to us too.

The grounds are lovely and the place is kept spotless at all times. The staff take great pride in keeping the place clen and tidy.

Our favourite place was the piano bar here - it was so relaxed, even when packed. We would sit nd play cards or chat while having a drink and listening to the singers.

On the whole, the reps were good, although we did feel that the Maspolomas princes next door (who pay less due to being half board) seemed to be given far more attention than the rest of us. At times, if you cannot find them, this is undoubtedly where they would be.

The restaurant is great, and the range of food on offer is amazing. We loved it. I rarely even got to the range of puddings due to the extensive mains on offer!

The snack bar out the back of the hotel is wonderful! The men who work in there were so helpful and took great pride in their work. To improve, this could do with being made clearer as we only found it 3 days before we left.

The room really let it down. We were on our honeymoon, yet despite stressing this throughout booking and mentioning it more than once in reception, we were given twin beds, pushed together (But kept moving) and seperately made up. Nobody wants this on their honeymoon. I could not hug my new husband in the night as i would fall between the beds. He also found this extremely frustrating. In addition, we were left with only one towel at one point which made showering very difficult.
I have been told that this is a Spanish thing - but we were invited to see another hotel just down the road by some travel reps - and this had all double beds.
The use of glasses in the room meant that they were either washed up in your bathroom sink, or taken and not replaced. This meant that we had to take drinks from the bar to our room which seems a waste of money.
To really improve, especially as this was an all inclusive hotel, a kettle in our room would have been ideal for first thing in the morning.

The outside bar was lovely to have and meant that you did not have to stray far from the pool. However, while most of the staff were lovely and helpful, there were 1 or 2 members of bar staff who just ignored us and served all Spanish people first, at times making us wait while they had long conversations. I tried ordering in both English and Spanish, both with the same end, so it was not the language barrier.

Toilets around the pool - these are so so small! With only 2 toilets in the womens area, i almost always had to wait. As these were small they got messy quickly. To be fair, they were cleaned often - but this also meant that 4 times in 10 days i had to wait for the cleaners to finish. Its a shame as the ones near reception are huge.

WIFI - don't bother! I tried to buy mine online - the page flashed so quickly that i couldnt read the password quick enough - so lost 19euros on that. Reception basically said that it wasnt their problem. When we got the week's worth of WIFI from reception it was permanently cutting off or not working. We could only use it one person at a time and this was very poor.

WOULD I GO BACK THERE?
Yes, but i would only do 7 days rather than any longer. I would go back to the bars with the good staff and ensure that i was given a double bedroom. I would not pay for WIFI as it is a complete waste of money and i would take spare towels incase anything went wrong.

Room Tip: Be clear about what you want. Check and double check with the travel reps that you are getting what...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Stacey S

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Myself and my partner stayed here for a week at the end of June/beginning of July. As soon as we arrived we were greeted by the rep who was friendly and chatted away, which was carried out throughout our stay. The hotel is quite big and both reps were frequently available to answer all questions.

When we had booked the travel agency recommended and requested on our behalf a third floor room (the highest floor) with a pool view, which we received. Would recommend this as the view was beautiful. The rooms were clean and were a good size. The air con is ok but not great, we just kept a card in the card slot to keep it colder.

The pool area is great, with a selection of pools and sunbeds. This is one of the BEST bits of this hotels, no early starts to put your towels down as there are plenty of them. Throughout the day there was a lot of announcements to let people know about activities, which were mainly for children, which did not concern us. However we never felt like the pool was too busy or noisy as there was always plenty going on for children and four (I think) pools to choose from.

I would recommend this hotel as an all inclusive and don't think I would stay here half board at the sistering hotel next door, as it was quite isolated.We had no bother with this as we were all inclusive and the food and drink was GREAT. However if you want more nightlife etc then I'd recommend somewhere else. The entertainment was ok, we usually sat outside on the terrace were we enjoyed drinks along with entertainment which was average. We also went to a 70s show which we really enjoyed however not all the entertainment was the same and was disappointed by the ABBA tribute. On a whole was ok with a good variety but nothing special.

For an all inclusive hotel, we had an amazing time. Great variety of food (esp for me as I'm a vegetarian) and plenty of choice for drink. Helpful staff and an overall relaxing and pleasant holiday.

• Stayed: July 2014
7  Thank Devonw92
Reviewed 18 August 2014

impressive luxury hotel in Maspalomas within 5-minute drive from Playa del Ingles. You have to take a taxi unless you want to hire a car to move around. Taxi is very cheap, about 4 euros. the hotel is very nice and clean. I have got two remarks to make. First, only one WIFI key is provided per person (meaning you can connect only one device at one time) which is quite a limitation, and most of the times you have to go the terrace if you want better connection. Secondly, room service is not as grand as the resort: they would not add more shampoo or bath gel or would not even clean the washbasin. I was really disappointed!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Marcello M
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Overall great hotel and worth paying a little bit more for. The food is excellent and varies every single day. The drinks on an all inclusive package are the local brand which you expect and you soon find out which ones are better than others. One gripe is the lack of awareness the bar staff have of who to serve next - you can walk up to a bar with only 1 person in front of you and the staff seen to have a knack of then serving anybody else other than you who then walk up to the bar after you. This wasn't a one off and eventually I become quite aggressive with them to get their attention so you don't get completely ignored. We never had to queue for loungers even when hotel was fully booked as there are plenty and the pools are great. The entertainment was average apart from Elvis who was great however it should go on later than 11.00pm when the shows stop and the staff then tidy up around you shutting the bars dead on midnight. Rooms are very nice and spacious and cleaned daily, the only issue I had was for a family of 5 we had 2 rooms opposite one another albeit our room had an interconnecting door to another room so can't understand why this hadn't been allocated to us as we had originally requested. Unless this was changed in the future it would stop me rebooking which would be a shame as overall a good hotel which could be even better with a few small changes.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor for better views of the surrounding area otherwise you may just see palm tree...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Jon R
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was our 4th time in this hotel.

We were met at the airport by a rep but he did not accompany us back to the hotel; instead we had an automated message on the bus stating that the coach amenities would be shared with sister companies. Unusually, we were some of the last people to be let off the coach. On previous occasions the Tabaiba/Maspalomas was the first drop-off point.

We were dealt with quickly by the reception staff when we arrived after 11 at night. Even then the front desk is an amazing entrance. The restaurant was already closed but we were given a voucher for a piece of fruit and a sandwich from the piano bar at the sister hotel, the Maspalomas Princess. Staff there supplied a soft drink too. Just enough before getting to our rooms and bed for the night.

The hotel was not close to full so was fairly quiet. It did get busier later in the holiday but it remained quite quiet throughout, but then the English school holidays were on the horizon.

Our room was only a couple of doors away from the lift but you would not have known that.

Staff were very friendly, some willing to engage with you, even if only a few words from domestics, ground staff or front-line staff.

Early in the season not so much food was laid out at mealtimes but still with sufficient choice. Plenty of fresh vegetables, fruits, meats, fish and poultry. Also included were a selection of soups, cheeses and puddings.

You can have all your meals in the main buffet restaurant or you can have food at poolside from La Choza, where a selection of mostly fast foods was often very well-presented. Mid-morning tea and biscuits as well as mid-afternoon "kaffee mit küchen" were available.

Piano bar entertainment was the usual - aimed at the 45+ crowd, so lots of easy listening standards, performed by professionals on piano, guitar, saxophone and a Timple - a Canarian 5-stringed instrument related to a ukulele.

We did not see much of the reps at all. We did have a welcome pack left in our room and we knew where to find the reps if we needed them but on the whole they kept to a few central spots where they could be found.

Rooms cleaned daily and on occasion anything missing was dealt with by the front desk immediately. We used the safe for cash, credit cards and passports but felt safe enough to leave Kindles, iPods and mobiles out charging during the day.

The pools were clean and not overly busy and there were plenty of sunbeds available, with the usual handful pre-booked by the selfish - not all Germans by any stretch of the imagination. A word of warning though - the sand/gravel does get very hot if it isn't in the shade so some suitable footwear is needed.

There appears to have been some refurbishment going on - new décor, seating, decking and artwork.

Lots of nationalities here - this varies with the school holidays. If you are one of those English, anti-Johnny Foreigner lot, maybe you should holiday elsewhere.

TV in the room has only about a dozen or so channels; Sky news, CBS, and a couple of movie channels in English.

Some facilities are shared with the hotel attached, so if you particularly enjoyed the Elvis tribute one week, you can catch him next door the following week only a two minute stroll through the hotel.

Relaxing under a banana palm or a coconut one with a cold beer with not a care in the world.

Would I return? - A no-brainer - a resounding yes.
Would I recommend this hotel to others? - Without a doubt.

If you want an honest reply to any of the negatives in some reviews, drop an e-mail and we'll put you straight.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
14  Thank 1959Stewart
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My family and I visited the Tabaiba for a week recently. I did choose the hotel from the photographs and reviews on TA and was not disappointed. The hotel and grounds are beautiful, all areas are extremely clean and the rooms were larger than expected. True it is not a 5* hotel but it is a very good 4*. The food is fantastic, no complaints at all and I'm a vegetarian. The salad was always fresh and replaced regularly. The fish was lovely too and always a choice. Plus a chocolate fountain appeared a couple of nights so my 11 year old was delighted!
Loved the pools, we tended to base ourselves close to the baby pool as there was plenty of shade there which meant you could get out of the hot midday sun plus it was close to the bar!
I would have rated the hotel an excellent apart from one occurrence. My husband and daughter had visited Aqualand and my husband had grazed his elbow so unfortunately that night bled over the sheets. I fully expected his sheets to be replaced so was very surprised to find out that this was not the case. I didn't complain as we only had one remaining night and I do appreciate that sheets aren't changed every day, probably every couple of days but I did expect house-keeping to change that.
We did visit the gym located at the sister hotel and it was a very basic one in that some of the machines were quite rusty and didn't work very well. However I guess we were in the minority as there was never more than three people there with us!
Apart from those two observations, thoroughly recommend Tabaiba Princess. A fantastic break and the Cava we drank all week was delicious!!
Only other points to note, I picked up on TA that you needed to take towels for pool, we didn't as they were supplied but we we were all-inclusive so don't know if that's the difference. We took our towels to Aqualand so they were used but we didn't need for hotel pool. Also we didn't get charged for the water in the room (although we only drank one bottle). We also took pillows but I didn't find the beds hard and we slept very well. Air con was a little ineffectual but we weren't uncomfortable with it. The other comment is that I didn't like two of the evening entertainment events that used livestock in the shows particularly the magician who shoved the doves around and held the rabbit badly as he took it round the audience. It's 2014 not the dark ages, you don't need to use animals or birds in the shows!
Visit - you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor over looking the gardens and to the side of the mini-golf. Was very qu...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank AmandamH
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We came with my daughter and her partner, twin boys aged 4. Everything was perfect. My husband suffers from coeliac disease Carlos looked after him every night in the restaurant if there was not anything suitable he would ask chef to cook him something thank you all staff . Hotel was spotless, staff very helpful, food very good. I've always been happy to stay in princess hotels.

• Stayed: June 2014