We've just returned from a week in the Luna and although we had a nice time, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. On the upside, the staff are very friendly, especially the restaurant staff who couldn't have been nicer to our two young children. The food in the snack bar, bistro and restaurant was lovely. The pool wasn't overcrowded and the kids had a great time despite the water being very cold! There's a nice rooftop pool for those who don't have children and want some peace. The entertainment appeared a bit naff but was actually very good fun; the kids loved it and guests mixed really well.
On the downside, our room was very basic and pretty grubby - broken tap, grime around the taps, ugly stains in the toilet, ground-in stains in the fridge etc. I think we may have been in an older apartment as the party we were with had a nicer room, although it would have been too small for our family. Overall our room just looked old and worn, which was a surprise as the complex in general is bright, clean and airy. Our son wet the bed on the first night and we were told the sheets were changed every fourth day. Eventually they agreed to change them but this still hadn't been done by early evening so I had to go back to reception again. Eventually a clean sheet was laid on his bed whilst we were out that evening but they did not take away the dirty bed linen until the scheduled clean on day four.
Our biggest complaint related to the air conditioning, which costs 10 euros per day per unit (i.e. you pay double if you have two rooms). Whilst we were happy to pay as we were aware of this when we booked, it was completely ineffective and the rooms were still far too hot at night. Reception informed us that the setting was fixed centrally and we could not turn it up; I have an issue with being expected to pay extra for something so poor.
The pavements are very narrow and often have bags of rubbish on them waiting to be collected, which meant going for a walk with a buggy could be less pleasant than usual when exploring a new place. The beach is VERY overcrowded and there are a limited number of restaurants. We would however recommend Ix-Xatba restaurant - great food and nice atmosphere. Popeye village is worth a visit and there are regular buses to Valetta, which take about an hour - St John's Co-Cathedral and the Palace State Rooms are worth a visit.
Overall, Mellieha Bay is a nice enough place but there isn't much to do or see and one visit is probably enough.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luna Holiday Complex located in Mellieha Malta, is rated one of the best three star apart-hotels in Malta.DescriptionWhy Choose To Stay with us?The Luna Holiday Complex is situated in the heart of the north west of the Island in the town of Mellieha. Whilst this is a thriving tourist resort it still maintains it’s authentic Maltese charm by not being overly commercial. There are plenty of shops, bars and restaurants in the town to suit all tastes and budgets.Mellieha is well situated with direct bus services to the majority of the island including: the Airport, the Capital City of Valletta and the ferry terminals to Gozo and Comino.The Luna is located less than 300 metres from the best and longest beach in Malta, ‘Mellieha Bay’ and is only 15 minutes walk from the famous ‘Popeye Village’.At the Luna Holiday Complex we pride ourselves on giving a 4 star service at a 3 star price. We have a fantastic family of staff, speaking many different languages all ready and willing to give that little bit extra to ensure your holiday is one to remember.Within the Complex we have much to shout about. Once you’ve been welcomed by our staff on arrival the complex is yours to explore. We have a 24-hour reception with a great, informative team who can give you the best advice on tours and places to visit whilst in Malta. All tours can be booked directly through our reception staff. We also have free Wi-Fi and an Internet café in the reception area.We have two fantastic pools. The ground floor family pool is superbly located next to the main bar and the games room whilst our roof top pool has fabulous views of the Mellieha coastline, Red Tower and Mellieha church which is a must for relaxation and enjoying both the Maltese sunshine and sunset!There are three bars on site, with one open from 10am until 1am, which includes entertainment multiple nights a week from local artists. Our main restaurant is ‘Al Fresco’ (weather permitting) serving a great variety of food to suit all tastes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, TravelUp and Lastminute so you can book your Luna Holiday Complex reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Luna Holiday Complex Mellieha
- Luna Hotel Malta
- Luna Holiday Complex Hotel Mellieha
- Luna Holiday Complex Malta/Mellieha