“Nice enough but wouldn't go back” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Luna Holiday Complex

Luna Holiday Complex
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Nice enough but wouldn't go back”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

We've just returned from a week in the Luna and although we had a nice time, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. On the upside, the staff are very friendly, especially the restaurant staff who couldn't have been nicer to our two young children. The food in the snack bar, bistro and restaurant was lovely. The pool wasn't overcrowded and the kids had a great time despite the water being very cold! There's a nice rooftop pool for those who don't have children and want some peace. The entertainment appeared a bit naff but was actually very good fun; the kids loved it and guests mixed really well.
On the downside, our room was very basic and pretty grubby - broken tap, grime around the taps, ugly stains in the toilet, ground-in stains in the fridge etc. I think we may have been in an older apartment as the party we were with had a nicer room, although it would have been too small for our family. Overall our room just looked old and worn, which was a surprise as the complex in general is bright, clean and airy. Our son wet the bed on the first night and we were told the sheets were changed every fourth day. Eventually they agreed to change them but this still hadn't been done by early evening so I had to go back to reception again. Eventually a clean sheet was laid on his bed whilst we were out that evening but they did not take away the dirty bed linen until the scheduled clean on day four.
Our biggest complaint related to the air conditioning, which costs 10 euros per day per unit (i.e. you pay double if you have two rooms). Whilst we were happy to pay as we were aware of this when we booked, it was completely ineffective and the rooms were still far too hot at night. Reception informed us that the setting was fixed centrally and we could not turn it up; I have an issue with being expected to pay extra for something so poor.
The pavements are very narrow and often have bags of rubbish on them waiting to be collected, which meant going for a walk with a buggy could be less pleasant than usual when exploring a new place. The beach is VERY overcrowded and there are a limited number of restaurants. We would however recommend Ix-Xatba restaurant - great food and nice atmosphere. Popeye village is worth a visit and there are regular buses to Valetta, which take about an hour - St John's Co-Cathedral and the Palace State Rooms are worth a visit.
Overall, Mellieha Bay is a nice enough place but there isn't much to do or see and one visit is probably enough.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank CarronD
Kyleborg, Manager at Luna Holiday Complex, responded to this review, 4 August 2012
Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am glad to read that overall you had a good time at Luna!

I am sorry for the incident with the sheets, normally we would have changed them immediately! I apologise for this!

As you know every winter Luna closes, and every winter we select a block to refurbish, This winter we plan to refurbish block 2,5 and 6. after having our largest blocks 1 and 3 already redone. We shall be installing new furniture and fittings in these rooms.

With regards to the AC, If i may i would like how our system works, the water that circulates through the system to cool the ACs is cooled down to 7 degrees, it reaches the rooms at around 10-12 degrees, then the temperature is controlled form the units. The temperature in the room never goes below 24 degrees, however it is quite a difference when the outside temperature is between 30 and 37 during the day.

I thank you for the review!

Kyle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

Before going to the Luna i read quite a few bad reviews which worried me however on arrival i was happily surprised!! The hotel was spacious and clean with a vey inviting atmoshere day and night. The room was also very spacious and was cleaned every few days which was perfect. The pool area was very peaceful on our trip with fantastic views 360 degrees around, a truly spectacular spot to sunbathe all day long!! The receptionist Amy was always so cheery and friendly and happy to help with anything she could. An older male member of staff was also very helpful and had maintenance come to our room to check on the air conditioning (which had cut out after a powercut) within 5 minutes of reporting the problem at around 11:45 pm and fixed it asap, great service!! The food and the cocktails in the hotel were really outstanding, the chefs clearly take pride in the food they provide and it is also great value for money. The young boys that work in the bars are very hard working and always happy to help. Overall it was a great and memorable trip, the only thing i can fault is that the balcony door did not lock however we were very high up and it did not cause any concerns for safety. I would definitely reccommend the Luna it is a lovely family owned hotel that will provide top service and fun entertainment :) Thanks Luna!!

Room Tip: We had room 4210 in the 4th block, it had a gorgeous sea view right outside where we could sit and w...
HI There :-)

I am very happy to read that we made your holiday a great one! We indeed do our utmost to make everyone's holiday, one to remember!

I have taken note of your room number regarding the balcony lock to have it check out by maintenance immediately!

I thank you for such a positive review, And thank you for choosing to stay with us!
I do hope we see you again in the future!

Moscow, Russia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

1. A/C is extra charge - it is awful, in a country where summer temperatures are 30-35 degrees daytime, air-conditioning for 10 euro per night is like blackmail. If you plan holidays in Luna you should add to budget 100-140 euro. And it is not clear from official hotel site.
2. Linen changed every 4 days, towel every 2
3. Room looked poor (photo below)
4. The road around the Melekha is repairing, so that all vehicles (and equipment) go through the town and through the road along the hotel. And you should hear car engines every day and night
5. Check-out time is 11:00 (in international rules (and other normal hotels) is 12:00)
6. Mattress around the pool for an additional fee
7. No fans in bathroom.
I found only one plus:
We arrived in the morning at 10:00, we had a room at 11:00 (check-in time is 14:00)

1 Thank SergeyVoyt
Good Morning,

I am sorry to see that you did not enjoy your stay! As you can read from many of the other reviews we do our utmost to make people feel at home!

If I may make some clarifications:
- All rooms are equipped with Ceiling fans and or standing fans, Studio Superiors have AC included. The other rooms up till now do not, the reality is that most people find that Ceiling fans are enough, and choose not to take the AC. This is done in an effort to control our costs and keep our rates low.

It is also not part of the star-ing standards to have AC in 3 star hotels. We chose to install them to give our guests the option.

On our website it is clear "Some Studios have AC at an extra charge".

- Luna is a 3 star apart hotel and thus it is only necessary to change the linen and towels once a week, however we chose to elevate our service and Change towels every second day, and do a full maid service every 4th day.

- As I mentioned in other responses, yes the bypass is being reconstructed, and thus more traffic is passing in front of Luna, however the local council has taken action and in fact the road becomes one way in most evenings to limit the cars passing.

- Sunbeds by the pool are indeed free

- international rules do not govern check out times however the norm is that most 3-4 star hotels have check out time at 11:00 and 5 star hotels at 12:00, it is at the hotels discretion.

I thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Bury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

Stayed for a week from 20th to 27th July 2012. Room was a superior one with a/c and tv on a self catering basis. The hotel was clean and well looked after and staff very good. Great location for the beach. Only tried snacks menu but what we had was good with decent portions. Pools good and roof top one great for sun bathing but not many beds and umberellas. Tried 3 times, twice with no problems but once without success, so we went down to the beach. This was busy but as per other reviews it is very nice with soft sand and clear water. Resort and hotel quiet, we enjoyed the week but it was enough. It would be perfect if you want a family beach holiday and do not want entertaining too much. Hotel had entertainment advertised for 4 nights, it would have suited us to have more, as there is little else at the hotel end of the bay. TV had few channels, in today's world I would expect more. Recommend Blue Water and Maya Beach restaurants. Overall a nice weeks sunshine break at a fair price. Our room was 1412 which had a very small balcony which had the sun from 5 pm to 8 pm, this suited us but if you like a bigger balcony I would suggest you state this at the time of booking.

Room Tip: Superior rooms with a/c are recommended rather than paying extra, and if you want a balcony with a d...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kyleborg, Manager at Luna Holiday Complex, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Good Morning!

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Luna! And that you were happy with all the services we offer!

As you mentioned we have entertainment 4 times a week, in fact it is 5 times a week, we have a pianist/singer on Mondays, Sunset pool party on a Wednesday, another pianist on a Friday, Country & Western on Saturdays, and karaoke on Sundays. On the nights we do not have entertainment both bars have live sports on, as well as now we have put background music by the pool on the nights we do not have entertainment.

On the note of TVs yes we understand your comment, and in fact we will be upgrading our Television Network this winter and place new TVs in the rooms. this will bring up more than sufficient channels :-)

Thank you very much for writing your review!

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

Stay in Luna second time and I was really pleasant surprised about changes. Last year I was not happy at all, but this year, I was more than happy to stay in this hotel. Staff really welcoming, towels changed regularly and rooms cleaned regularly. I would give all 5 stars, but rooms need little bit of modernization. Definitely stay over next year again.
P.S. Thank You for grate holidays

Room Tip: choose superior room whit air conditioner
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank dageens
Good Morning!

Thank you very much for taking time to write your review! I am glad to have been part of such great holidays! I am happy read that you enjoyed your stay thoroughly and that this is your second stay with us and that you will be coming back to stay with us next year! We will definitely have a few more surprises next year!

On the note of modernising the rooms, in fact we invest in refurbing different rooms every winter in our winter months. This winter the plan is to redo all the two bedroom apartments, to modernise then and make them even more comfortable!

Thank you once again for your review! and do drop my a mail before coming over next year :-)

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

Me and my husband david have been going to the luna for 19 years we have spent many magical moments at the luna even taking my grandson away there for his 21st. The staff all know us abd some guests even know us to, the staff are all amazing from the management to the cleaners and nothing but excellent service. The complex is situated in a perfect area with the beach down the road and rocks perfect for snorkles out the back and a handy village up the hill. There is a crane out the back but we accept that management have got the crane to stop work during the season and are happy with this as its not the hotels fault. We have enjoyed many days at the luna from johnny gee to joe cutijar and plan on spending many more. Me my husband and my oldest grandson are looking forward to coming over in october only 11 weeks and 4days away

• Stayed June 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kyleborg, Manager at Luna Holiday Complex, responded to this review, 21 July 2012
Hi Sheila and David!

Not long now till we see you again! Hope you are both well!
Thank you so much for taking some time to write your review about us! and thank you for coming year after year, some times even twice a year!

Will be seeing you soon! Thanks so much!

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

Just got back from a week at the Luna in Malta with my boyfriend (Both aged 24). This was our first trip to the island and the hotel. We booked the Luna becouse it was the cheapest and the holiday was just a last minute getaway.

The room was OK. Very basic but thats what we expected. The oven about 4 feet away from your pillow but for what we paid it made an great base. We ate out every lunch and every evening so not much to say about the appliences. Fridge worked fine and freezer compartment, iced up our bottled water for the beach :)

The staff are great - Ryan on the bar very attentive and the gentleman who runs the restaurent (Seems he never leaves!) is great. Everyone was really attentive. Receptionist who checked us in was a bit weird - was telling people who had just checked in and wanted to buy a safe to come back later when she had the time. But other receptionists were great and used her connections to get us a great deal on car hire for the day - just 33euros + extra 10 as we are under 25.

I would reccomend the evening pool party on the terrace - really relaxed atmosphere, decent music, great view of the sea. We ordered a pizza and bottle of wine about 9pm and just chilled up there where it was nice and cool.

I would not go back to Malta again as I feel once you have been there you have seen it really. Meliha does not have too many nice restaurants but enough to keep you happy for a week. Ended up eating in the hotel 3 times, Mexi co. Twice (Fakitas are great) and up the hill to a local twice.

Room Tip: I emailed the manager asking for a nice room and he replied saying Id been upgraded. So that was gre...
2 Thank Lucy P
Kyleborg, Manager at Luna Holiday Complex, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Hi Lucy,

Thanks for submitting your review! I am glad to read that you were happy with the product we are offering! Our team do their best to make our guests stays enjoyable, and help them out as much as possible. I will pass on your comments to Ryan and Charlie :-)

Thank you once again, and if you decide to pop down to Malta once again do let us know!
Warm Regards