Solana Hotel and Spa(Mellieha)(Great Value!)
US$126
US$122
Classic Rooms(Mellieha)
US$82
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$309
Hotels.com
Pergola Hotel & Spa(Mellieha)
US$134
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 41% below average rates

The price you found is 41% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$228/night.

US$237
US$228
US$307
US$250
Hotels.com
1,532 results
All reviewsrooftop poolself cateringmini marketsuperior studiosea viewevery other daytowels were changedthe busthe ground floorsteep hillmellieha baylower poolcooking facilitiesgreat holidaymain townceiling fanbed apartment
Reviewed 4 October 2013

My husband and I have just returned from the Luna Holiday Complex in Malta.
I worked in the travel industry for many years before I had my children and I learnt one thing that you get what you pay for. Well we only paid £600 for the 2 of us to stay at this complex and so I didnt expect anything grand.
However, our room ( which we called our cell) was the worst I have ever stayed in. It was so dark we had to leave the lights on all the time during the day as we did not have a window. We did have a small door which opened out onto a balcony which was surrounded by buildings and only by looking up could you see what the weather was like. We couldnt dry our towels or clothes out there because we didnt get any sun.
We had a window in our bathroom which opened out into a very small room which contained pipes and was inside and then backed onto the bathroom of the apartment next door. So when we sat on our toilet we could hear the people in the room opposite sat on their toilet - nice !!!!
I did ask at reception if they had another room available and was prepared to pay extra for this but they said they were full and couldnt really care less.
The complex itself was very clean and the staff were lovely. The roof top pool was lovely and yes you did have to pay for the cushions to go on the bed but i didnt return my each day and would take it to my cell. The roof top snack bar wasnt open at all during our stay so we had to buy drinks from the mini market and take up with us. The mini market however was not well stocked at all.
the little village at the top of the hill was lovely and well worth a visit and the Maltese people are the friendliest people you could wish to meet.
We would go back to malta but obviously not back to the Luna Complex. If you do book this Complex then make sure you get a decent room with a window, patio etc. The holiday wasnt a complete disaster the weather was fantastic and we met lots of nice people and we laughed about the room eventually.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jan960
Kyleborg, Manager at Luna Holiday Complex, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Dear Jan,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review! I am sorry you where not fully satisfied with your stay with us. We all do our best that all our guests are happy!

If I may i will clarify a few things, Indeed the room you mentioned is a bit dark, and we only have 4 such rooms, some poeple like them as its quiet others do not. Unfortunately this September we were fully booked, and had no rooms available, I do apologise for this, as we would have gladly moved you.

I am glad you liked the rest of the complex... If you do wish to return, feel free to email me and I will do my best to allocate another room.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

I stayed at the Luna for 8 nights and just back last night. On arriving I found I had been upgraded to a Superior apartment (thanks for that!). I had a spacious apartment in block 1
with a wonderful view of the church on the hill. The downside of that view though is the traffic noise. Even with the balcony door closed you will still hear those frequent buses and trucks trundling past, but earplugs take care of that. There's not much Luna can do about the traffic. There is now a light on the balcony, and chairs are provided. I didn't really hear much noise from other guests, and any music from the pool area had finished before I went to sleep, so I found staying there a peaceful experience (apart from the traffic).

The apartment has just been refurbished and looked brand new. Everything was spotlessly clean, and mostly new. The kitchen was well equipped, only the small electric oven was old but it worked perfectly.

The bathroom had a bath rather than a shower, and no extraction, just a small window for ventilation, but otherwise it was a great bathroom.

The beds were two singles pushed together. I have read other comments about the beds (a thin mattress on a board) but I found it to be comfortable. The bottom sheet was rather narrow and did not stay tucked in, so every morning I found I was lying on the bare mattress! These are all very minor niggles though. Housekeeping was very adequate althugh I did have to ask for more soap, which was provided by the friendly reception staff.

I found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful. I cannot praise them enough. Luna complex is very clean throughout with a spacious lounge.

I mainly used Luna as a base for sigthseeing, but I did use the top pool which was peaceful. I guess it gets busy in summer but in late September there were not all that many people there and plenty of sun loungers available. You get a nice breeze up there also.

I felt that prices in the Luna mini market were very reasonable, and it was well stocked although if you want fruit & veg it's better to go into town for it. A can of chilled beer was €1.20. For the same beer I was charged €2.30 at the small wine & drinks shop in the main street of Mellieha.

I can't comment on their restaurant because I didn't use it. It did not look very busy though, and not all that many people at the pool area for the Indian buffet, which I was going to try but changed my mind because I could not smell it, so assumed it was rather mild.

Yes, I would be happy to stay at Luna again, however I have one BIG grumble and that is Internet, which is very expensive, and I was not prepared pay for it, so I tended to eat and drink where I could get online, thus depriving Luna of my patronage. (You can get online in the main street in town using "Maritim" although it is an unsecured connection and really slow). These days having Internet is as normal as having a TV, so why try to profit from it! I want continuous access, not to be limited to a specific period of time. OK, enough grumbling for now! I am still very impressed with the Luna Complex and I don't think I have ever been more comfortable in any hotel. Only the Internet issue would deter me from staying there again, but I still give Luna 5 stars all the same.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Dear Dav,

Thank you very very much for taking the time to review our property. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your every aspect of your stay!

A quick note about the internet, .... wi-fi is free in the lobby and in Don Tonino, it is only in the rooms that it is against a charge.

Thank you once again, and please do not hesitate to contact me in the future should you wish to return!

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Where do I start? On arrival we checked out our room. I booked a double and it was two single beds pushed together. Nowhere were we notified to distinguish if we wanted a double bed or not on booking! Both of the beds were incredibly uncomfortable. Rock hard mattress', and very short (I'm only 5'10" and my feet hung over the end!) The furnishings were very old, really uncomfortable sofa, old and cheap tables and chairs. The sliding door to the balcony did not lock, not very safe. Next up, I wanted to use the safe for passports etc. It needed a key so I popped to reception. Guess what.....2 euros per day! First time I've ever had to pay for that. Air con - yet again another charge! I think 5 euros per day but I did hear someone say 10! Before they say some guests don't want air con, my advice.....don't turn it on then! This place is the RyanAir of hotels! Our first night, in fact all our nights were disturbed by the loud banging of doors, I've never heard anything like it! We were also situated above the restaurant and the noise from there was unbearable too! Lots of banging, machine noises etc. Each morning the housekeeping workers would create all manner of noise, doors slamming, loud talking etc. We even had no water pressure on a couple of occasions. I tried complaining to the reception staff, who were quite un-caring. It seemed to me they were used to complaints! The wifi in the reception area is free, but was a bad connection most of the time. Because it's the only area in the hotel where it's free, it was busy there the whole time. Overall, this is the worst hotel I've ever stayed in, the reception area and bar are lovely, but don't be fooled by these, the quality of bedroom and sleeping conditions are poor. It ruined our holiday because we were so tired and stressed during the day. We shall not be returning!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff S
Kyleborg, Manager at Luna Holiday Complex, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

If I may I will clarify some points.
- As mentioned in previous responses, Luna is being upgraded in phases, and thus some rooms are complete others are not. We have indeed upgraded block 1,3,5 &6, moving on to block 4 this winter.
- Beds; most of our beds are twin beds, however if a guest wishes we can set them up as a double. (we have a very limited number of rooms with double beds. mostly the 1 bedrooms and the family apartments)
- With regards to the charges on the Safe, indeed there is a charge, as is explained on our website. Everything is clearly stated.
- Regarding the AC it is at a charge, however as of 2014 anyone who books directly with the hotel will have the AC included. It is already included in the Superior Studios and the Superior Family Apartments.
- I will bring your comments up with Housekeeping and reception. I do apologise for this.
- WiFi, Wifi is free in the lobby area and chargeable in the rooms. The free Wifi is a speed of 25mbits download and we rarely have comments that it is slow.

I do apologise that you did not enjoy your stay.

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Just returned after 28 nights. Arrived late and room was not as requested we were assured by night staff that problem would be resolved in the morning which thanks to our holiday rep Thomas from Bellaire Holidays it was. We cannot praise the staff enough especially Sinead, Sammy, Yan, Roco and John - you all made our holiday fabulous. Unfortunately Trevor (the manager) needs a course in customer relations, he never speaks or even makes eye contact - we appreciate that he must be very busy but surely friendliness must be a number one requirement. Nevertheless we had a great time. Again thanks to all the staff, nothing was too much trouble.

Room Tip: High floor gives better view. Inland looks onto farm and up to village. Pool view - some rooms have restricted views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Kyleborg, General Manager at Luna Holiday Complex, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

HI there

Thanks for taking your time to comment on your recent stay at the Luna.

I appreciate your positive comments in favor of our dedicated team and have also passed on your comments to each and every one of them.

I do apologize for not being out and about talking to our guests more often. This is something I will work harder on doing, as most of the time we are caught up with a lot of office work and daily routines. Having said this I would really welcome another opportunity to having you as our guests to make it up to you.

Regards

Trevor

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Four adults stayed from10 to 24 Sept 2013 on self catering basis, arrived midnight night porter very obliging told us we had been upgraded to a superior two bed roomed apartment 5302, helped to carry luggage to the room. We had a great sea view from the balcony,the bed linen and towels were changed regularly.
This was the first time our friends had visited Malta and our first time since 1992, they have said they would stay at Luna if they returned to Malta we certainly would. Staff were friendly and helpful
we ate in complex several times the food was tasty and the portions were adequate with reasonable prices. All in all we had a great stay at the Luna.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Good Afternoon Bruce!

Thank you very much for your comments, it is very important for us to hear that you enjoyed your stay! We all do our best to make everyone happy!

I am glad to read that you would all return to stay with us in the future, and for that reason I will leave my email address below should you wish to return, in that way I can help organise your stay!