“good holiday”

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
england
“good holiday”
Reviewed 30 October 2011

We have just stayed for 2 weeks at the mellieha bay hotel we really enjoyed our time there the location was absolutely brilliant for us far away from the busy areas in Malta that are full of bars and nightclubs they are not for us as we enjoy a more laid back atmosphere.
Many thanks to all the lobby bar staff for the way they looked after us the restaurant staff were brilliant as well nothing was to much trouble also our cleaner Irene
Our room was one of the refurbished ones with comfortable beds and flat screen television which we didn't really use just a couple of times we only had one day of really bad weather when we had a bad storm.
The sea was cold but it was October the pool was very nice clean and well looked after, we found every area very clean.
The entertainment was as we would expect for an all inclusive hotel there were some very good singers and some fantastic Maltese dancers ,the day time activities were fairly low key which was nice no badgering to make you join in.
We were out a lot but the only down side this time is trying to figure out what Arriva has done to the bus service it took us 2 hours to get to Sliema to visit family and to get back to Mellieha it took us 3 hours we couldn't get a bus in Sliema because they were all full the only way we got back was go down and catch the ferry across to Valletta and catch a bus from there 2 buses didn't turn up we managed to get on one eventually but it was standing room only to just before Mellieha we do hope they sort it out soon although it didn't spoil our holiday, they are supposed to be changing the timetable to the old system in november.
We can't find fault with anything in the hotel and find it quite nice that the management eat with the guests that says something about the good quality of the food.
Thanks to all the people we met especially Shirley, Peter, Carol and John you made our holiday.

Room Tip: We paid extra for a room on the top floor what a view to wake up to we had room 417
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank prute

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2011

This hotel is excellent, good food, will provide other meals if requested. Good comfortable rooms, mini bars on request. All rooms have sea views
Good and very friendly staff all willing to help.

an excellent hotel, well worth it

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Robin5819
East anglia
Reviewed 22 October 2011

We chose this hotel because of its location, and were not disappointed. Our room looked out over the gorgeous Mellieha bay, and each day we swam in the sea from the jetty in front of the hotel. The hotel is a budget 4*, and we were apprehensive about the all inclusive option that we had taken, but the food was very good and the hotel staff were very friendly and welcoming. All in all, a very positive experience - I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Sazza49
Cwmbran
Reviewed 22 October 2011

What can we say, the location, the hotel, the staff, our wedding all simply stunning!
Thankyou just woudn't be enough, Ann, the Thomson Rep was fantastic, nothing was too much trouble for her, she had 3 cameras filming and photo taking on our wedding day!
Amanda Balzan was also fantastic putting up with me months before the day and putting everything I asked for into place, we didn't have to do a thing!
The hotel is located over looking Melliha Bay and all rooms face the sea and bay. Uninterrupted views!
The grounds were beautiful and very well kept, our lady who came into clean every day Frances was brill, did a very thorough job and very friendly. The hotel was well maintained, although the entertainment wasn't to our taste, but we did enjoy it. If your not really a drinker then stay off the spirits as the measures were very, very generous and as I found out as I don't drink that often, was tipsy after one.
The staff were lovely again nothing too much trouble for them.
I would not change anything at al about our wedding, my dad had stayed at the hotel over 20 years ago and was very impressed with Hotel and Malta itself and my dad was one of the hardest people to satisfy.
So Thankyou to all at the Mellieha Bay Hotel, we'll be back!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Rochelle I
Hyde, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I came back to this hotel after 25 years - have been to other hotels in malta in this time but am very impressed with the standard of this hotel.

I went on holiday with 4 other ladies and we had an extremely fantastic time. We were well looked after by the friendly and helpful staff. The entertainment was good and varied.

It was a quiet holdiay which is what I went for - didnt get much time to relax though as went on may trips whilst there for 1 week.

I cannot rate this hotel high enough. I am even going back in january 2012 as I know I will be safe and looked after.

Room Tip: the best room to stay in is A block - refurbished - although the patio/garden rooms are nice and pri...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank louise r
St.Petersburg
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Stayed in the hotel from 25th Sept. to 8th. October. Wanna accentuate that it was first time during my numerous trips i did not change room. It was on second floor, but renewed wing where were new furniture, TV panel, fresh facilities. Probably higher levels have more spectacular view, but I enjoyed mine as it was closer to the sea and garden to walk. Although 2nd floor or 22th floor, it doesn't make any difference to me. I like walking long distance.

Cleaning was perfect, regardless of tips, every day, changing sheets -twice a week.
Particular respect to the resturant - good choice of meal, fish, seafood, salads....frankly speaking I dont really care about food as I am on eternal diet, but here I got a lot to eat for my special requests. There is just one shag to it. Lack of fruits, and their quality....No idea about reason, as the real season for fruits I consider as sept-oct..can be mistaken.

Nice assortment of beaches, chose any - sandy one or platform or terrace. Hotel has big enough area - designed as a park. Two areas constructed for pools, all of them are reachable quickly.... Very big and nice advantage is that you can replace dinner by lunch if you wish. Your visit is marked in register on the entrance.

I have to say that if you like noisy parties, disco and night events, Mellieha and the Hotel is not the place that you need. It is secluded, calm and relaxing site. There are not numerous trade points, just one supermarket in the park of some Apart hotel working till 20.00, otherwise welcome to Mellieha center 4 km from the hotel on foot along the road. For me it was not tiresome.
One more kind favore i have to ask the hotel - to separate smoking and non smoking area as i suffered a bit from some cursed smokers living under me. I do hate smokers.....

As far as Malta in all, it is separate topic to talk. Wonderful country, good prices, deep, and amazing by its antiquities history...

Shortly speaking, should you have any info, people, I ll be pleased to answer you all you wish...

Room Tip: Take renwed wings, there are well - equipped and furnished..
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Helen H
Bournemouth
Reviewed 15 October 2011

My wife and I stayed for two weeks at the Mellieha Hotel awhile back. Although the hotel could be a lot better for a four star. The staff are not over friendly and helpful, residence on arrival had to carry their luggage to their rooms. For some of the "oldies", it was a bit of an effort. The swimming pool was very nice, but the beach area was very limited for space. There are a few small bars dotted around the area, if you are so inclined. The rooms are very basic for a four star hotel with no mini bar etc. The hotel itself is located quite a way from the town or any other places of interest. Buses run quite frequently, and are very interesting, as they are very old and in excellent condition. The ride can be very uncomfortable and bumpy, as obviousely the springs are of an old design and not as efficient as the modern ones. Down town, the natives are more friendly and like to have a chat, especially as to wherel you come from in England. There is a theatre in town which is a must and shows, on a very wide screen, the hisory of Malta, from before the crusades and through the carnage during the second world war. Malta is a very interesting place to visit, but personally, because of it's size, (the size of the Isle of Wight) I don't think my wife and I will be going there again.

Room Tip: A room on the top floor would be more of an advantage, both for the fine view and less noise from pe...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple