“Good holiday”
Review of Mellieha Bay Hotel

Mellieha Bay Hotel
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed at the Mellieha Bay Hotel for a week in June. We were a little apprehensive as had read some bad reviews but were greeted by friendly and efficient staff who directed us to our room. The room was basic but modern, very clean and perfectly liveable, with large TV but very few channels, comfy beds, good shower and an excellent view. The air con was great and the room was always nice and cool which is good as heat was high 30s. The only thing missing was tea and coffee making facilities which would have been greatly appreciated. View was lovely though over the gardens and the bay.
The food was good but not great. There was a lots of it and lots of choice which we could not fault. Some dishes were a little salty but otherwise there was always something I liked. Our drinks order was always taken and delivered quickly. I would point out that this is not 4 star dining - if you want this you would have to go elsewhere.
One of the days we went scuba-diving through the company at the hotel who were excellent and we would highly recommend this! They use the indoor pool to practise and talk you through it and then take you to the dive site which was really great.
We spent very little time at the hotel as we wanted to explore the island and I think this was a good hotel to have as a base but would not want to spend our whole time there. It is a great location - close to Gozo but with excellent bus links to the other parts of the island. It is tucked out of the way of the village which is nice and quiet but it is a good 40 minute walk up a hill to get to the village - be warned!
One thing to note - we were late leavers so had to check out of our room several hours before we left. We were told by the rep that the hotel offered a room for showering etc. for half an hour in the evening if you wanted - we took this option but found that whereas our room had been very modern others were not and were definitely not 4 star, therefore would strongly recommend that when booking you request one of the recently refurbished rooms.
We had no complaints about the hotel, it was a great base and we had a lovely holiday with no problems at all. Some people will choose to complain but we felt that we were there to visit Malta and not to spend all our time at the hotel and that's what we did. Malta is a lovely place, there is so much to do and so much history so the place is definitely a must-visit!

Room Tip: Choose one of the refurbished rooms nearest to the road
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JL922013
There are newer reviews for Mellieha Bay Hotel

Reviewed 11 August 2013

We returned to MBH for our fifth visit, for two weeks during June/July this year.

Despite a little upset upon arrival, which was totally due to Thomson, and not the fault of the hotel, and was reported on in an earlier review. A big thank you to John on reception, for resolving our problem very quickly and restoring some calm into our holiday.

We enjoyed our holiday here, as usual, once again we met some nice friends, and are remaing in touch with them. The rooms are quite acceptable, a bit Premier Inn style, but clean,comfortable and with view to die for, the only minor problem in the bathroom was the shower valve which was a bit temperamental, if the guest next door turned the shower on at the same time, ours went red hot and boiled you, needs a thermostatic mixer I think. Our chambermaid, Francis, was very efficient and friendly and kept our room pristine

The food in the restuarant is very nice, and we always had good meals, the barbecues were much appreciated, as were the waiting staff, always friendly and pleased to see us, a special mention here to a lovely young Waitress, Edit, we always tried to get a table in her section, she was so very efficient at all times, and always seemed to go the extra mile with any request made. My only criticism of the restuarant concerns breakfast time, when tables are not cleared quickly enough and relaid for the next incoming guests.

I must agree with a lot of comments on the reviews, the entertainment here is pretty dire, especially if you are on a two week visit, there are only so many times a bloke can swallow swords and wave coloured hankies around, I'm sure people were hoping the sword would slip and make a bit more excitement. The best entertainers were certainly the Dance Troupe, and at least they varied thier performance each week. Time to mention some the excellent bar staff I think, always a nice welcome from them, a bit of warm banter from them and quick efficient service, a big thank you to Carmel, Sandro, and Sunny for making us welcome in your country. How's that boil on your nose Sandro ?

Just a quick thank you to Marco, the Hotel Manager, it is a massive task running a hotel of this size but Marco does it very well and always looks so calm and cool whilst doing so.

My final comment, I notice that a lot of reviewers are reporting that some of the Maltese staff at the hotel appear quite rude and stand offish, my wife and myself have never experienced this, and in fact I would I say that the Maltese people are the most friendly and welcoming race in the world. Treat people how you wish to be treated and they will respond warmly to you, I have seen guests at MBH treating staff very rudely in the past, so what do they expect.

Would I recommend this hotel for a holiday in Malta, I most certainly would !!! But it is a bit like Marmite ! You either love it or hate it !!!!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BigTelMalta
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Just got back from holiday, we had a great time, but his definitely not a 4 star hotel. The good things were the view, the weather and the restaurant staff. The food was o.k and it didn't make us iłl, which is always a bonus, but there were flies buzzing around the food and this is never good. The choice was limited, but what there was, was nice. The room had been refurbished and was nice, but the chambermaid did not sweep the. Floor everyday and did not clean the bathroom everyday. The bar were bushy, board earring on rude. They made guests feel as if they were doing you a favour by serving you,especially the older staff. They. Also did not cleAn the tables and were generally lazy. W. hired a car and we enjoyed the island. We would not visit this hotel again.

Room Tip: Hire a car.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Salie C
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Booked this holiday with Thomsons as I believed they had a good reputation and our holiday was in safe hands. How wrong was I! Hotel is stuck in the 70's and I suspect this was the last time it was maintained. There was paint flaking on windows, broken tiles, thilthy bathrooms, shower is a hose with a shower head, not 4 star by any stretch of the imagination. Restaurant had broken air conditioning, so they had all the doors open, as it was high 30's, which meant the flies were having a feast on the bread rolls and food that was left lying on the floors. The pool area was infested by wasps, again because the place was not keep clean. The beach was covered in litter including plastic bottles and cups which generally attracted more wasps. Never seen anything like this dirt and thilth in my whole life. We complained to Thomson rep who agreed the hotel was about to have a refit but she admitted it wasn't what we wanted to hear. She managed to find us another hotel but wanted my husband and I to pay a further £600 in addition to the £1700 we paid for a week here! So If I were you I'd go somewhere that is worth your time and money and it certainly would not be Mellieha bay hotel or as we refer to it as Mellieha Bug Hotel. Shame as Malta is a fantastic place with fantastic people.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank LynnPop222
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed there in July 2013. We had a pleasant stay and after reading all the negative reviews I couldn't believe people were talking about the same hotel. I have to say it is a very old fashioned hotel, like an old Benidorm hotel, but it was alright. The location is perfect and we could always go out and eat out and also catch a bus to another town when we fancied. The rooms were perfectly clean and cleaned every day. I didn't spot any cockroaches, ants or mosquitoes. The only pests I can complain were wasps. They were everywhere at the other side of the hotel (we stayed in the Thomson wing) and I was shocked why parents let them children play around swimming pool area where wasps were almost everywhere. I almost stepped on one when coming out from swimming pool ! Swimming pools could get very busy but there is a private beach which is very lovely ! We used to go to the public beach with lifeguard which had all the facilities and we really enjoyed it !
The food in the hotel wasn't amazing but I can say they had really nice desserts ! Also, the staff was really helpful and could always help us when the rep wasn't there. However, I have to admit it isn't a four star hotel.
We had a really good holidays and we will be coming back to Malta in future !

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Arriving home after a week on holiday with my wife at the Mellieha Bay Hotel in Malta my overall impression was that whilst we had a good time there were some things which took the gloss off the experience and prevented it from being a great time. Good things first. The location of the hotel is superb. Our room on the 4th floor had a wonderful view across the bay and as we arrived at midnight the view across the bay of the lights of Mellieha was delightful. The room was nicely furnished and kept to a high standard of cleanliness. The pool was nice but there was no life guard and it was 3 metres deep in the deep end. The lack of supervision both by hotel staff and parents meant that the notices about ‘no diving’ ‘jumping in’ etc were ignored making it a bit worrying at times, also the brochure doesn’t mention that the main pool is used by the aqua centre for beginners scuba-diving lessons, so for long spells you had to watch out for divers underwater. The private beach was nice and the water very clear. We were on an all inclusive package. On the plus side this meant a steady stream of drinks, ice creams and snacks were readily available. Unfortunately we were not impressed with the food in the main restaurant. Breakfast was ok with plenty of sausage, bacon and eggs available, but disappointingly a lot of the fruit was tinned. Lunch and evening meal were also buffet service and the quality was, in our opinion, poor although the flies didn’t agree. The meat on the first lunchtime, billed as pork, was grey, tasteless and unappetising, whilst the salad was limp, dry and well passed its best. I’ve never had dry cucumber anywhere before. If you value quantity over quality maybe this wouldn’t bother you. Also everyone seemed to ignore the dress code for dinner (no shorts for the men) and the staff made no attempt to enforce it, which was a shame. We found the Lounge Lobby were you could order burgers/scampi chips and toasties, which were all cooked to order and thus more appealing. This kept us going, although by the end of the week we were fed up with chips. Sandwiches and baguettes from the pool side bar were also nice. If only the main restaurant meals had been of the same standard. Staff were friendly and helpful and some of whom doubled up for the evening entertainment, with varying degrees of talent. The guitar playing singer and the keyboard playing singer were not bad but the magic acts proved you can easily do too many tricks with silk hankies. To sum up we had a good time, but felt with better catering we would have had a great time.

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view, the higher floors have better views as you would expect.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MandM5962
Reviewed 8 August 2013

As always the hotel and rooms were perfect ground floor this time so it was nice to wake in the morning and go for a a morning swim. The food is lovely all meals breakfast, lunch and tea. The entertainment could be better but was good for what i wanted. I went for 2 weeks and went so slow. Went scuba diving and passed qualified scuba diver. Cant wait to go back in September and get my open water course.

Room Tip: If you have a problem where you cant get up stairs you can call direct the hotel and request a room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family