“Definitely not for the Mobility compromised.”
Review of Mellieha Bay Hotel

Mellieha Bay Hotel
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Edinburgh
“Definitely not for the Mobility compromised.”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed here for 1 week All Inclusive from 22nd to 29th October. We were there for a family wedding so there were 8 in the party + a 14 month toddler. The weather was unbelievably hot for the full 5 days we were there, as we lost 2 days travelling. It was my first time All Inclusive and will be my last as AI means pathetic sandwiches (one of my sons said the brown bread tuna sandwiches were good, but there were never any brown bread sandwiches available when I wanted one) and salt & vinegar crisps, if you drink beer or wine or are happy with cheap alternatives to your usual tipple you'll be fine. 6 euros for a small margarita that doesn't even have a salted rim, you pay for cheese toasties, doughnuts. pastries etc. I should explain that I have a heart condition and limited mobility, so missed out on most dining room meals which I believe from the rest of the family were good. On the few occasions I managed to reach the dining room our reserved table was so far from the open part of the food serving area, I was unable to make more than just the starter, anyway my appetite had completely gone after all the stairs up and down, lifts etc. I would point out that the hotel staff were all aware of my mobility problem, but there was never any offers made to make my stay any easier. One of the chefs did actually carry a bowl of soup to our table for me on one occasion. If I hadn't had my family around me my holiday would have been spent in my room or sun terrace.

Having said all that the rest of our group had a wonderful time and will probably make a return trip. One of the grumpy old men on reception did give me a list of more suitable rooms on our last evening, but I didn't have time to check them out the following morning as we had an early departure.

Room Tip: High Floors have best views, but water pressure is non existent. B37 has sun on the terrace all day...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Winnie46Edinburgh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Stayed here in October and the view is great but it's well out of the way and at least a 40 minute walk into the village. My room had been refurbished but the bathroom had not as there was a huge amount of damp on the ceiling and sealer on glass of shower didn't work. Hotel otherwise is in need of updating as general areas were shabby and pool areas with green carpet was definitely a no-go. Food was poor - squash from machine instead of juice and tea and coffee from machine too. Fruit for breakfast was tinned fruit cocktail with only fresh apples and oranges. Bacon and eggs made at start of service and left there for several hours - evening meal was the same with lacklustre roasts and casseroles left there for several hours congealing and drying out... not very appetising. Definitely not 4 star - hotel is 3 star and food 2 star - Thomsons need to relook at their star ratings!!

Room Tip: Had a room on second floor with fab views of the bay
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank RicoR07
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I would recommend Mellieha Bay hotel if you are not looking for a holiday with lots of night life!
It is situated about 25 mins from Mellieha town by foot and even there, there is not much night life. The hotel itself is beautifully situated across the bay from Mellieha town with magnificent views and a lovely, private sandy beach. There is also excellent snorkelling off the hotel terrace.
Any water sport that you could wish for available from the hotel but not much to do for kids.
We stayed in block B, 3rd floor of the hotel where we had a comfortable room, kept very clean, with a splendid view over the bay and hotel pool. It was very convenient for the restaurant, bars and hotel reception. An added bonus was a self service laundry on our floor.
The food was good and varied but not great - although the soups were excellent and bottled Schweppes was served with the gin! The restaurant and bar staff were very friendly and helpful, though the staff on reception were limited and a bit off-hand.
We used buses ( 2.6 euros for a day pass) to explore Malta - Arriva buses have taken over and a brochure showing the bus routes, obtained from the tourist information office in Mellieha town, was very valuable. The island has a fantastic history which was well illustrated in the "Malta Experience" presentation in Valletta.
I would recommend this hotel for a relaxing holiday though a bit remote from the night life Valletta and Sliema but we would certainly return.

Room Tip: Block B floors 3 or 4
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jim L
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Me and my partner stayed 11th Oct 13 for 4 days. I had stayed before, but back in the 70"s as a youngster. On return the reception area looked nice, and we were greeted by the guys on reception that morning with " we will let you know when room is ready"..No introduction to the hotel.. ! We went for a drink out on the upper deck. Firstly I noticed how old the table and chairs were, and how so uncomfortable they were to sit and have a quite drink. I did mention " bet this is the same good old lead based paint from the seventies " !! We eventually got the key to the room about 1. 3rd floor, great view, room small, looked as if it had been re decorated, though walls were badly scuffed. Bathroom had rust coming through poor patch up job on bath. Cold water had no pressure behind it, which made mixer shower hot all the time. Silicone round base of toilet was dirty, and needed replacing. Room was kept reasonably clean, view over bay was lovely. Mini fridge did nt work, no brew facilities in room, corridors look very dated. Over all the hotel has its good parts, but the old, none up dated parts really need to be seen to. How on the whole it gets 4 star, we were at a loss !!
Anyone giving this hotel 4 stars wants to take a trip to Mexico, the Sensatori , and similar hotels, and come back to the UK and with hand on heart re write views on this hotel, and I am sure it would not make the 4 star ratings people are" bigging" it up to be..
We noticed NO waiter service from the bar in the reception area, waiters would only appear to clear glasses. You could see the fear in their eyes hoping that no one asked them for a drink.
One night a slightly disabled lady asked for coffees, she was served at the bar, and started to take one by one. Staff offered no tray, no assistance just watched her, so my partner helped her, carrying the coffees for her !! POOR..
The food was ordinary, could nt stand it for 2 weeks, would of drove me mad. Lasagne\, egg mayo\, prawn cocktail\, black forest gateux\, all terribly seventies !! They even managed to make the worst spag bol one night I have ever tasted. !! How do you screw up a spag bol ??????
No one we have noticed in writing re views mentions the amount of steps this hotel has, as its mainly elderly staying!!
If your "bag" is being stuck in the late seventies, early eighties, this hotel is for you..
If like us, you like modern, good clean facilities, friendly staff, that are helpful, good food, and waiter service, then this hotel is not for you..sorry.!! IT IS DEFFO NOT A 4 STAR.
We shall not be returning..

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mrjrb01
Wales UK
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Have just returned from a weeks stay at this Hotel, first time to Malta and fist experience of all inclusive. I was a little anxious, as some of the reviews here were negative and I do have high expectations. My experience was wonderful, the room we stayed in had a fantastic view over the bay and was cleaned daily and very comfortable. The air conditioning was well used as the temperature was around 27/28 all week, so it made sleeping much more comfortable. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the quality of the food in the restaurant was excellent (just need to shed a few pounds now that I have returned home). The gardens were beautiful and green (not a lot of green in Malta) and lovely to stroll through. We did not get involved with the evening entertainment as this is not something we like, much more preferred sitting on the balcony enjoying a glass of wine and reading or listening to own music. The private beech was lovely it was great to be able to relax in the beautiful warm sea and be in easy reach of things you might need from your room or the bar. The bus service outside the hotel was excellent, plenty of busses to choose from and only 2.60 euro for an all day ticket. I would not hesitate in returning to this Hotel great if you like quieter areas away from the crowds (not so good if you are looking for lively entertainment and night life) Lots of areas to sit in relaxed calm atmosphere and even a library if you run out of reading material. Lots of History and interesting towns and villages to explore - will recommend to my friends.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms excellent view but Thompson guests are put on ground floor unless you pay balcony se...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank OrlandoSoon
hertford
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Stayed here for the first time in October, we booked it ourselves, bed and breakfast only, it was good value for money. The rooms could do with an update, especially the beds! Bathroom was functional but in need of re-grouting. A/c worked well, free to use safe in our room, small fridge which was useful. Malta gives the impression of being unloved, so I guess accommodation will carry on the theme!
Hotel is huge, we were in 642 which is right at the far end of the complex, a very long walk to the restaurant, bar and reception, (fine for us) there are 2 swimming pools at each end of the Hotel, very nice, clean and fresh but some of the sunbeds could do with replacing. All staff were very friendly and helpful. The view from our room was fabulous and very quiet
Mellieha is definately the place to stay for peace and quiet, but a little out on a limb, ok for us we hired a car, the best way to get around in Malta or you could spend most of your time on buses(not for us)
Overall a very nice stay< breakfast good, cant comment on other meals as we did not eat at the Hotel, bar has evening entertainment every night.
Would stay here again if we return to Malta.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank julesHertford
Wiltshire
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed two weeks at this Hotel. We thought it was more 3* not 4*. Our bedroom had been recently redecorated but the bathroom was in need of refurbishment. There was always ants crawling all over the floor and there was mould on the bath panel. The shower was hopeless, it either ran cold or suddenly went very hot! The food was average but there was always lots of flies in the dining room, there was even a dead one floating in the soup one night. .Also the dining room staff didn't enforce the dress code for the evening meal, several guests looked as though they had come in straight from the beach. One of the reasons we chose this hotel was because we enjoy dancing but on the nights a dance took place, the hotel was invaded by the locals who liked to pretend they were on "Strictly come Dancing" which meant it was difficult for the guests to dance without being pushed off the dance floor! There was always plenty of sunbeds either round the pools or on the beach and the grounds are beautifully maintained and pleasant to stroll in. Although we requested a high floor room we were allocated a ground floor one, but we still had a lovely view across the bay. The shop in the hotel didn't seem to have regular opening hours, just opened when it felt like it. We found the bar staff in the Limelight Lounge rather grumpy. Its unlikely we would return to this Hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WiltshireBunny
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Pergola Hotel & Spa
#5 of 12 in Mellieha
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,545 reviews
db San Antonio Hotel + Spa

Been to Mellieha Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!