“Can't find a fault”
Review of Mellieha Bay Hotel

Mellieha Bay Hotel
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner went all inclusive for the week, staff were lovely, food was brilliant (some people just like to moan for the sake of it) the drinks were brilliant and when we had spirits they filled the glass way over the middle unlike bars over here. Rooms were lovely and clean. Entertainment was fine-its what you make it, if your going to sit down all night and not join in with a bit of dancing for example then it will be boring. This hotel is for people who want a quiet week away without rowdy drunks etc. Theres a bus stop just down the road and the buses run quite well. Overall a brilliant experience and we will definitely be returning.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Carly F
Write a ReviewReviews (2,199)

Reviewed 27 December 2013

a good hotel well run comfortable, good food relaxing plenty of trips organised and entertainment staff are helpful and pleasant nothing too much trouble more information needed in rooms but everything on hand if you ask

Room Tip: not one with adjoining door to next room unless you require it, otherwise too noisy
1  Thank luckygozo
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Our second stay at this much improved hotel, where the staff are all friendly, the food varied and of good quality. Most important of all, the rooms had been up-dated since our last visit, so are modern as well as comfortable with A/C. We enjoyed their evening entertainment, and the extensive gardens are very well maintained. Sadly, there will always be a minority who will complain because they are hard to please. Also, there are guests who are inconsiderate when returning to their rooms late at night and disturb other guests in adjoining rooms, but the hotel cannot be blamed for this, nor held accountable for poor weather. The hotel is well located, overlooking a lovely bay with a safe and sandy beach - all rooms face the sea too! If you wish to explore Malta, there are buses you can use (bus stop about 500 meters from the hotel) and the fares are very reasonable - daily fare at E2.60 and weekly fare at E12.00 for unlimited travel. We met several guests who had returned to the hotel many times, and like us, they all said they enjoyed their stays, so will return in the future - this says it all for anyone undecided about this lovely hotel!!

Room Tip: All rooms overlook the sea and lovely bay, with some guests preferring the higher floors for a bette...
8  Thank KenLou
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Two days ago we returned from a brilliant week in this hotel all inclusive.We were a little concerned as some of the reviews were not good.Rubbish,we could not fault it.We had an amazing room with a great view over the bay and the parish church at Mellieha.The room was cleaned every day.The food was exceptional,plenty of choice.All the staff were helpful.Go and see for yourself.

Room Tip: High floor.
7  Thank AlexandraCleveland
Reviewed 19 December 2013

This is the 1st time I've been abroad and this hotel put me off!

when we arrived the room was very clean then everyday after that it looked like she didn't sweep or mop I was still treading on bits all what looked done was the beds but they didn't put fresh bedding on it was the same all week I new this because my 1year old did sum drawing by accident on bed we had fresh towls everyday an that it beds an towels the rest still looked really dirty!

The food was terrible every night we were dreading going we missed lots off meals the staff in the restaurant looked at u like crapp!!! They didn't speak English asked them for a high chair and it tuck 3 different people who had come to me the food wasn't cooked enough meat the eggs weren't done etc there was no food for children an my daughters is soo fussy had to keep asking for other food to b cooked just nothing tasted of anything my partner found hard bit's in the food!

in the brochure when we booked told us they had lots going on that's why we booked the hol because we had a baby when we a arrived tennis football games etc was all shut an in the games room there were a pool table which said out of order 2 grabbers which were turned off all what we could use was a ping pong table was not happy at all

in the bar all the staff looked at u again like S**t when u went to get a drink they didn't speak at all u ask for a drink say thanks an they don't smile or nothing don't know why unless they don't like the brits not sure but that's not good we were all inclusive and they had cakes biscuits and other stuff an when I asked u had pay for everything all inclusive means everything all we had was pint of beers and coke and bits of the uncooked food for all inclusive because I was pregnant so had b carefully what I eat etc and it was so boring everybody I spoke to said they can't belive it and can't wait go home after the second day at 1St I fort it might b just us but loads ppl said the brochure was all lies an now I've decided to complain to tomson because the holiday was just crapp and I spent an etc 400 on food because it was rubbish
said unlimated wifi that's not true u have to pay for it while u r there
Malta it sell is okay really expensive but along way to the shops takes 1hour on bus

drinks tasted like they were watered down
no entertainment for kids just old music which starts after half 8 then sumat on after half 10 but nothing through day just sitting round in bar bored were so glad to come home nice break but will not b going there again the reviews looked so good but not for me!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013
6  Thank charmainejones
Reviewed 18 December 2013

This was a Thomson holiday half board. The room initially was clean however during the week it got very dusty as the floor was not cleaned nor the bathroom. It was just a bed making session and towels replaced and if you were lucky she would provide a toilet roll (we had to ask in reception for some) You have to buy water to drink (2.50 euros every time) which I did daily. I was not allowed any tap water when I asked on our last day to take some medication just before going to the airport (mean). I have never been refused tap water in UK or abroad. In total I was buying 2 bottles of water a day and alcohol during the stay yet the waitress would not let me have a small amount out of the water machine (plumbed in to the mains) when I needed to take some tablets. She said I would have to buy it because I was not 'all inclusive' even though we were having a meal just before setting off to the airport. This incident alone would make me not want to return to this hotel. I also found huge cockroaches in the bathroom which I have never come across in any hotel I have stayed in before. The fridge in the room stank of rotten food. The beds were hard and the food even though it was of good quality was not as hot as it should have been and there were flies everywhere, even in December. The reception staff are polite but the restaurant staff all looked miserable and unwelcoming. The hotel is in an amazing setting but there is not a lot nearby you either have a long uphill walk to the town or there are buses nearby with sometimes a long wait. A little more attention to detail and customer care would not go amiss.

2  Thank s067
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We have just returned from a week, half-board.I thought we had made a mistake going to Malta in December but it turned out to be a very good holiday, in no small part because of the hotel. The room was fine and the food was excellent.The pool area can't be faulted altgough i'm not sure how it would accommodate everyone in the height of season.
Most of the staff were courteous, polite, friendly and helpful.( Lovely room maid who is about to retire.Hope she enjoys her retirement.) I read another's review suggesting that the bar staff were less than friendly and although we only used the bar a few tines we did find on one occasion that one barman treated us as if we had burgled his house.He proceeded to deliberately overfill another guest's coffee so that it filled the saucer as well.He then gave us murderous looks as he collected the cups.Can only think that he either doesn't like his job or doesn't like Brits: whichever, management may like to send him on a customer relations course as he lets the hotel down badly. Leaving this particular individual out of the equation, I would not hesitate to recommend the hotel.
The hotel is not situated in the town but a couple of miles outside. However, there are frequent and cheap buses that will get you there in minutes and the day pass at 2.6 euros is a bargain as you can visit any or all parts of the island on it.
If you need to buy food or drinks then it is best to take the bus into Mellieha and visit one of the mini markets near the church. A tip - with apologies to the Maltese- their red wines leave much to be desired but decent Chilean reds are on sale for less than 5 euros in the Mellieha minimarket opposite the HSBC.If you go to Valetta, expect to find a city worth visiting but don't expect to find a supermarket there- there isn't one.
Malta is a great place for a holiday and the Mellieha Bay must be one of the best hotels. I read a very critical review earlier and can't believe that they were guests in the same place nor what they would expect that was better.

Room Tip: All rooms are facing the bay as far as I can see.
7  Thank Dixonmg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
4 mi away
Dolmen Resort Hotel
Dolmen Resort Hotel
#2 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Mellieha Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!