“Avoid if you can.”

Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Avoid if you can.”
Reviewed 1 August 2012

The Panorama has been the worst holiday ever. We were allocated the worst room. The balcony of our room was nicknamed "the plank" or "the coffin" by other guests. We payed extra for a superior seaview room, and this room was far from it. The balcony overlooked the car park and was not wide enough for chairs. There was no air conditioning, no room safe, no fridge and no tea and coffee making facilities, despite all of these features being promised in the brochure. When I complained to the manager he got very irritated (think Basil Fawlty!). We did get moved after a day and a half, but still had no facilities in the room, but at least we had a balcony!

The hotel has seen better days and is in dire need of refurbishment. Unless their are major improvements including the replacement of the manager who made me feel like a criminal for complaining,I would not touch this place with a barge pole!

4 Thank Christina0910

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Saltash, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2012

This Hotel has wonderful views but if you want a hotel for more than just a base avoid this one .We stayed on B & B bases and it was fine breakfast was ok room basic but was clean bed was comfortable.If a little attention to detail was applied here it would be lovely for instance around the pool which hasn't much space quite a lot was taken up with storing loungers which are never used and just spoils the feel of the place ? Staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: All rooms have a balcony and great views
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JW123_12
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Booked this hotel in early June, looked good on the Internet websites. When we arrived this morning (July 26th) we were told by reception that there was a problem with the computers last week and the hotel was in fact full.....you work out how we can book on the 7th of June and a computer problem last week effects our booking?!!! We were not notified of this problem despite all our contact details being known. They had transferred us to another hotel, which on first impression is 100% better than the 'panorama hotel'.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank K_loc11

Travellers are raving about these Mellieha hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We stayed in this hotel all inclusive for a week in mid-June. We booked through Mercury Direct which means we got the free airport connection, which saved a lot of money.

We arrived on the first day and, as I believe a few guests experienced, we were put in a 'temporary room' for one night until our room was ready. This temporary room we were put in was clean, but pretty poor. The air-con didnt work (it was 35+ degrees) and there was no sea view.

Food:
The food was ok if you are not fussy.
Breakfast (buffet) - plenty of cereals on offer (muesli, chocolate cereal and cornflakes). The hot food rotates daily and is either cocktail sausages and scrambled eggs or bacon and boiled eggs.

Lunch - Deep fried food basically. Fish, Chicken, Pizza & Omelette were all on offer, as was a cold meat selection. Order these from the bar, not buffet style.

Dinner (buffet) - There is always a starter of soup or pasta, the main is always fish or some kind of meat, the sides is always some kind of potato and vegetable.

Drinks - Stick with the Cisk beer. The coke is some kind of own-brand and the spirits arent the best. Still, it is great to go up and order any drink you like whenever you like.

Staff:
The maids are brilliant. They are very overworked and seemed to do very long hours, but were really good at keeping the place clean and clearing away plates etc when you are finished with them.
One in particular, dark haired lady, would always remember our room number and know exactly what drinks we would like with dinner every night and bring them over without even asking.

Views:
We were on the 3rd floor and the views from the room/balcony were incredible. Great views over the harbour and can see a sunset over the hill every night.

Location:
Very steep hill down to the beach. Takes forever to walk down to Mellieha beach and even longer and the walk back up. Mellieha town/village centre is a 5min walk and from there you can get the bus to Valletta/Mdina etc.

General:
Overall a good stay. We were probably the youngest couple there as the majority are couples over 60. All the guests were friendly and approachable and nice to talk to and stayed up late. This is a perfect hotel if you want a relaxing time, but if you want partying then do not stay here. The evening entertainment is 'interesting' but it is better than nothing and sets a nice atmosphere.

With a few upgrades and TLC this hotel could be a 4*. Don't let the bad reviews put you off, this is a nice hotel and great value. I would stay here again.

14 Thank mpetts
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2012

This is probably a 2 star hotel, with around 100 rooms, sufficient to say not a BIG hotel but one BIG advantage is the friendlyness. You soon seem to know lots of people, suffice to say my wife and myself met some great friends, had a good laugh and really enjoyed, especially the evenings. We went all inclusive which proved to be a good choice, the food whilst not a great standard was very acceptable. ALL the staff yes ALL the staff were friendly and helpfull.So all in all good value for money, the view was an absolute bonus, and the weekly bus ticket at 12 euro was also well worth it.

Room Tip: room numbers 403-415 or any of these room numbers on floors 2 to 4
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank bennyboy1939
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I stayed at this hotel in mid-June 2012. I paid only £298 for flight and hotel (which is a really good price). I had done my research before going, and despite the negative views I thought I would give this hotel a go as I wanted to stay in a small hotel (rather than a large hotel) in the Mellieha Village resort, and this hotel fitted the bill. It was cheap, others have said it is clean and staff friendly.

If you're like me, and you view a hotel as simply a base, somewhere you do not intend to spend much time, and are happy with cheap basic accomodation, but clean, then this hotel is fine for the price. If however, you are the kind of person who is going to want to spend time (other than sleeping) at the hotel, and expect good food and entertainment, and staff willing to go above and beyond the call of duty then I would avoid this hotel because it will not be for you.

ROOM:
Although sheets and bed coverings were clean, my duvet and pillows had clearly had their day. They were yellowing, and a couple of the pillows were flat and worn looking, and showing signs of age. They clearly needed replacing. The matresses were also sunken in the middle. I found this odd considering the furniture was clealy brand new and modern - why replace the furniture but not beds and duvets/pillows. I can only assume that they are going through a phase of updating, and new beds and duvets and pillows are on their way - lets hope so.

The shower in our room was powerful, even though it was clearly very old. With the shower doors fully closed, water still leaked out on to the bathroom floor. The tap in the sink continuously leaked despite turning the tap off as far as I could - I'm no DIY expert, but surely all it needed was for the washer to be replaced to fix this problem. I didn't bother to complain about the leaking tap, because the way I saw it, the chambermaids would have been fully aware of this issue, and reported it themselves. Another issue, although trivial, was that our washing line on the balcony (and a few others I noticed) only extended half the length of the balcony whereas I noticed others extended the full lenghth of the balcony. This illustrates the difficulty that this hotel has in attending to minor issues that are cheap and quick to rectify.

A good thing about this hotel was that the air conditioning was free. However, in our room it didn't work all the time. I reported it to the black-haired lady at reception - she said she'd have someone look at it, but as expected it wasn't seen to. When we saw her at reception at other times to hand in/pick up our key, she mentioned nothing. We didn't bother raising the issue again because it was clear that they must be aware of the problems but for whatever reason everyday maintenance is lacking in this hotel. On the second from last day I finally worked out why the air-con did not work all the time - when entering the room if I switched on the light first and then the air-con it would not come on. Basically you need to make sure all the light switches and air con switch are off before putting the key in the cradle. Next, switch on the air-con first, before the lights. If you switch on the lights first, the air-con does not come on.

FOOD:
The food was nothing special. I ate dry cereal most of the week because the only milk on offer was UHT milk that they didn't even bother to refridgerate. Don't know about others but I can't stand warm milk on my cereal, and I certainly do not like UHT milk. Other options available, which my partner tried througout the week, were soft rolls/baps which were dry, as were the slices of bread. When toasted the butter didn't even melt in. There was ham and cheese (dairylea style) slices which looked to be of a very cheap variety.There were sausages, which looked to be, on some days, to have simply been recycled from previous days. The bacon contained more fat than meat. The beans were hard. There was also scrambled or hard boiled eggs - scambled egg looked unappetizing, boiled eggs were fine, but guess it's difficult to go wrong with a hard boiled egg. As for fruit there were apples, oranges, or watermelon. As for beverages there was the usual tea/coffee/juices. I had orange juice, though it was not real orange juice, I think it was orange squash.

STAFF:
We were not at the hotel much, the only contact we really had with staff was when dropping off/collecting our key or getting money from our safety deposit box, so can't really comment much on whether the staff were friendly or not. There were not many smiles from staff, but being from London, I'm used to that. I got the impression, that although this is a small hotel, the staff are overworked. Most of the staff seemed to work every single day, but maybe this is the norm for those working in the tourist industry during the holiday season. The barman seemed to take on reception duties as well tending to the bar in the evenings. We watched the England Vs Italy game in the hotel one evening, and the barman was constantly running from the bar to reception to check in new arrivals, as well having to answers constant phone calls, and collect empty glasses.

GENERAL:
People have commented that the pool was dirty, but it looked fine to me. I even swam in it and it was ok. Most pools I notice they have a strong chlorine smell, but this one didn't. Not sure if they use chlorine in this pool at all. The reception, bar, poolside, and restaurant are all very nice and clean looking, but I didn't spend much time at the hotel as was out most days. I noticed many of the guests were older - 60+. There were a number of young couples too. I didn't see any familes, but lets be fair this hotel as well as the Melliehe Village resort in general is not aimed at families.

Overall this hotel, for the price is reasonable if you're looking simply for a base. Pay cheap, you will get cheap. Yes I have stayed in similar prices hotels in the past that have been slightly better, but you will always find things to fault when staying in 3*. I've never stayed in a 3* hotel and thought it amazing. Want amazing then go 5*. Having spoken with other guests here, it seemed they all had little minor issues with their rooms.

My advice, is this hotel needs a little investment, replace the beds that are knackered, get some new duvets and pillows, and pay attention to the minor problems that seem to exist. Then you're looking at fab little hotel.

8 Thank Hales_78
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Was amazed reading other reviews when i came on to add mine, luckily i didnt read before we went, as we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We stayed for a weeks bed and breakfast and thought what a lovely place it was, amazing views, great location friendly staff . If you are the sort to look for something to moan about during your holiday, i'm sure you will find something, but if you want a friendly relaxed place to stay, where you feel like person and not just a room number i'd recommend it !

6 Thank Angela D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Luna Holiday Complex
#3 of 12 in Mellieha
Porto Azzurro
Porto Azzurro
#5 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Panorama Hotel? Share your experiences!