“A Room with No View. Manager is Hostile to older holidaymakers.”
Review of Panorama Hotel

Panorama Hotel
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Darlington, United Kingdom
“A Room with No View. Manager is Hostile to older holidaymakers.”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Very similar to Bill H experience. My name is Dave T from Darlington this was my first time in Malta: Booked Double Room Single Occupancy, Sea View with Balcony. Brought a few books to read on Balcony.
On arrival 4th May was given room 216 a single box room single bed no balcony or sea view!! A cupboard with no windows.
Returned to reception they said it was a mistake and gave me Room 215 in the alley no seaview.
A single plastic chair next to the hotels electrical power supply and cables. Reception said i would have to stay there that night and see if i can change to what was on my Hotel accomodation certificate.
I Went down in morning and was shouted at in a full reception area by the manager that I will go where put me and he will not move me. I explained the accomodation certificate and said it was my first time in Malta. He Loudly responded in front of everyone that he hoped it was my last!! So humiliating and hostile I was most embarrassed and after two days stuck in substandard rooms I pleaded with Local Travel Reps to get me out and put me in a place in compliance with my accomodation certificate.
This place is a Nightmare with a Nightmare Manager who should be on medication. The Most Horrible Hotel Experience of my Life.
Photographs available if required.
Best Regards Please stay away to avoid dissapointment.

Room Tip: Avoid Hotel completely the Manager is a Nightmare and Hostile. My rooms were terrible Room 216 is a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
9 Thank DaveT967

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Mellieha, Malta
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Arrived the evening of 8th May having booked a single room with sea view. On arriving at my room found it to be a single with no sea view and no more than an overszed cupboard. On returning to reception the person in charge (barman) said that he could do nothing about it till the morning as the manager was not there. depite my request for him to call the manager he was not willing to do so. Having no other place to stay I rreluctantly spent an unpleasant night in the room. Come the morning i hoped that a new new dawn would see a brighter day. However, before getting downstairs to reception, the shower was lukewarm and such was the dribble from the showerhead, that you had to run around to get wet!!!! On going down to speak with manager he shrugged his shoulders, said not his fault and said nothing could be done about it until the next day as he had no availability. This is despite the fact that several web sites were showing availability of rooms. I checked out having found alternative accommodation and on handing back my 'cupboard' key there was not even a word of apology from the manager. In conclusion...caveat emptor!!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Bill H

Travellers are raving about these Mellieha hotels

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This holiday was supposed to be a treat from a friend who took her family and myself to stay, upon checkin you get the impression of a nice 3*hotel, stunning views, great location, nice interior, but then you step into the lift which has wood paneling that has graffiti on it, then into a the hotel bedrooms, not one of us had a hotel room that was of a stutable standard. Mould on the walls, bad electics, bare electrical cables, no protectors on the matress or pillows.

The 'inclusive' was only between 12:00 - 0:00 so if you wanted anything out of these hours you paid for the privilage. The inclusive drinks were limited to beer, 4 spirits and instant coffee. The lunchoffering was nothing more than a trip to your local island for processed food! The breakfast offering was basic hot food which changed every other day, and the evening meals were nothing more than tasteless slop.

The staff were over worked, and the manager was very nice on arrival, but turned into a sarcastic condisending man. I would not reccomened this place to anyone, infact its the opposite, anyone i have come into contact with since i have been back in the UK i have told about the place, and they couldn' believe the pictures of what the place was like.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Farley75
High Wycombe, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I haven't returned to the Panorama Hotel in over ten years, but is am very glad I did! It has undergone a refurbishment and all to it's advantage! Lovely and clean with a cool seating area in the lobby and a very comfortable dining room, not to mention a well stocked bar!

The room was wonderfully big and had space for everything with extra to spare! The bathroom was small with a shower in, but plenty big enough for your basic needs! Nobody wants to spend their entire holiday in a bathroom!

The food was delicious! Morning breakfast alternated every day meaning you got to try a little bit of everything and the meals on the evening were constantly changing, giving you a full flavour of what is available on the island, as well as some smashing deserts and tasty cheese and biscuits!

Overall, definitely a 3 star hotel as described, giving you all the basics you needs to enjoy your holiday in relaxation and comfort. The staff were very friendly and always willing to chat to you, whether for a query or just to chat!!

The views over Mellieha Bay were spectacular and took me right back to my childhood, listening to the waves lap against the shore and gentle breezes falling over the bay.

Overall, and excellent little place to stay! :)

Room Tip: Definitely request a sea view, it's gorgeous!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Hannah W
Cheshire
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Back in 1979 we took our first holiday abroad and Malta was the destination. The old photo albums suggest we did a lot of travelling round the island by hire car that cost £3.00 for the week!

It was around that time we decided that we would not go back to the same destination but continue to explore further afield. Nothing against Malta, just the choice we made.

This time it was a late booking with the hotel being suggested by the travel agent. Being taller than most there is no point in my grumbling about the cramped seating on the EasyJet flight: no one listened or replied last time...

The transfer from Malta's Lurqa airport was by private taxi. The driver cheerfully explaining the changes we would see whilst on the island. I would have been happier if he had kept an eye on the road a little more than he did. The experience confirmed that we would definitely not be hiring a car this time. The roads are new and very crowded. Zipping through small towns, dual carriageways and narrow alleys all at the same speed helped allay swmbo'd concern about my driving.

The hotel was fine (3 star) the staff friendly, the room more than adequate with some excellent views over the bay area and further on to Comino and Gozo. Of course the weather helped, blue sky and crystal clear sea. The food was not fancy but more than just OK.A buffet style approach with friendly staff in attendance. Breakfast was not overly varied that said we had noted a similar Tripadvisor comment before we flew out.

We did have a couple of minor queries regarding the shower, these were promptly dealt with.

As usual we did a lot of walking, the northern part of the island is excellent for that type of activity. A few rustic bars and cafes were explored and as they were off the tourist routes we received the genuine Maltese welcome and hospitality.

An organised trip to Gozo and various bus trips to local "hotspots" helped pass the days when the wind made cliff walks more hazardous. The buses are in a state of flux, ridiculously cheap with a single purchase lasting all week for any travel anywhere on the island! Crowded too but then you get to meet people.

The roller coaster ride back to the airport was as expected, though slightly less traumatic as we had an early morning start!

Would we go back? Well, we found a new side of Malta and know from our experience that there are other areas of the island we will need to explore. When we do go back, it will be to the Panorama Hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view, hence the hotel being called the Panorama!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sleep_deprived_11
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

stayed here 17th to 24th April 2014, the hotel is clean, and functional,, and has about 24 rooms I think . Our family room was well furnished, plenty of space for three people and all of our luggage.
we were fully inclusive and found that the food was tasty and well presented, with different choices each night, all cooked the Maltese way. Some English people wouldn't even try some of the dishes, I think they wanted shepherds pie and chips and Yorkshire puddings,..in which case they should have gone to blackpool , and not a Maltese run hotel in Malta !
The view from every room is of Melliha Bay and is beautiful to wake up to.
Joe the manager was really friendly and helpful to us with our never ending questions about busses and how to get to places.
There are quite a few stray cats around the general area and the staff do their best to keep them out of the hotel, one or two did manage to get in but where soon ushered back out, the swimming pool seems to attract them to drink there.
All in all we had a great time there and will be going again

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Ella T
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I went here last year and its cheap accomodation so if you looking for 5* dont book here, but I found room clean, had a sea view, staff friendly and helpful, only had breakfast, no complaints, entertainment at night, pool to swim in ,i was totally satisfied and would go back again, i loved the walk through the church to the town and as for the stray cats, well im a cat lover so they werent a problem to me, never saw any mess from them. if you looking for a place to put your head down, this is it, if you looking for lots more, pay more and go elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank diane w
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Luna Holiday Complex
#3 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
Pergola Hotel & Spa
Pergola Hotel & Spa
#5 of 12 in Mellieha

Been to Panorama Hotel? Share your experiences!