“Our unexpected overnight stay!”

Paradise Bay Resort Hotel
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Grimsby, UK
“Our unexpected overnight stay!”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

We arrived at the Gozo ferry that crosses from Malta to the smaller island of Gozo, we were told that due to the exceptionally high wind, the boat was cancelled until 3.30am next morning! The nearest hotel was the Paradise. We went to reception and were told to wait in a seating area until rooms available!! Bear in mind this was now 10pm. After waiting 20 mins or so we approached the counter again to be told by the same person that he was not the manager! So who is we asked? Another man was standing on opposite side of counter looking somewhat distracted so we asked him. Told to sit down again! It's not as if there were hundreds of people waiting to be seen to, but we did meet some other couples who were in same predicament. We finally got a room just before midnight! Frankly for such a big hotel, out of season (end of Easter) the reception service was appalling! The room was clean and spacious with a very nice view of sea and cliffs. Next morning a typical buffet breakfast in a huge dining room which I cannot fault. But there were no more than say 50-60 people. The hotel was half empty! The hotel is somewhat dated with limited facilities although it does have its own private small beach and pool. You would need a car as there are no shopping areas, bars or restaurants nearby. But as we were only charged £E53 for a double room, we can't really complain.

Room Tip: The hotel is curved in shape so the inner ones at either end get more sun.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
SMF001, Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
I thank you for staying within our establishment and I am sorry to hear that our night reception staff did not correctly inform you as towards why there was such a delay in allocating a room for you. The hotel at this time very busy as there were some 264 rooms sold leaving only 12 rooms available and some of these were single rooms and the other were not available to allocate so they needed the assistance of the night manger to release a room for them to be able to allocate one to you.

The hotel pool mentioned is one of five pools and the hotel beach was unfortunately not in use as it is closed for the winter period. I do thank you for appreciating the rate paid being a satisfactory rate and value for the money.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (609)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Well, when they say this is remote, it is ! Passing you by to get to the Gozo Ferry is about it and Paradise Bay is only for the fit and healthy with a trek up and over the hill down many steps to a small dirty piece of imported sand, thank goodness we hired a car and were able to drive a few K's to a proper bay, lovely. Anyway , the hotel , we had a 'Superior' room and half board, in fairness the hotel gave us what we asked for and no complaints with the room, it's position or cleanliness.
Swimming pools in abundance and nice terraces if that's what you like however, their beach is not open until June and we never found it !! Staff were very interesting , ranging from rude to exceptionally helpful , dinner was not a pleasurable experience and reminded me of everything that was bad about self service cafeterias , including the food quality.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the pool, not the bay which is NNW facing.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
SMF001, Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Yes I confirm that we are located some 5 km from the nearest town but there is a regular public bus service available. The Paradise Bay beach is located on the far side of the bay some 20 minutes’ walk, and the lovely bay of Ghardira which is one of Malta's nicest beaches is 5 minutes by bus.

I thank you for your positive remarks towards our rooms and cleanliness but I am sorry to hear that our main buffet did not meet with your approval. Should there have been anything wrong you should have brought it to the attention of the restaurant manager for him to rectify the problem.
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Stayed at Paradise Bay from 22nd February to 29 March and what a fantastic time I had! My room was on the south wing very much criticized by many but let's face, do you really mind if the furniture is a bit tatty and old fashioned when on opening the courtains in the morning you're faced by such a stunning view? I'l count myself very lucky if on my next visit I'm given the same room with the same tatty furniture and the same splendid view. The room was cleaned daily, staff friendly and helpful, food good and plentiful, what more can one ask for? Can't wait to go back

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank DcedricB
SMF001, Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2013
We thank you for your kind words in reflection against our economy room and look forward to your repeat visit. Thank you.
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Was a bit sceptical at first when we booked as there were mixed reviews. There is an older part to the hotel but we made sure we booked the superior rooms which were lovely and in the nicer part of the hotel. The booking was made direct with the hotel. The rooms are quite spacious, have been tastefully modernised and are clean.
The location is a bit out of the way so a hire car is a good idea, however as it is next to the Gozo ferry, there is a good regular bus service. The roads are poor and the driving is worse but if you are a confident driver it is fun! Gozo was nicer and a must to visit, the restaurant "Ankra" at the harbour in Gozo will top off the visit. Back to the hotel, we did B&B only, the breakfast was ample and slightly varied each day but not five star. We would definitely come back to this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank dclark97
SMF001, Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2013
I thank you for your clarity in your very favourable response towards our establishment and staff within your posted review and for enjoying your break with us.
Watford
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Just got back from a few days break to escape the rubbish UK "spring" weather. I found no faults with the hotel. My mum's hairdryer didn't work and they sorted it right away for her, and they kindly passed messages between us and our holiday rep to arrange our transport back to the hotel.

The internet connection can be temperamental but who worries about that on holiday!?

We had bay view rooms which provided day long sun and lovely views.

The food offered great choice and 3 courses and the restaurant staff were always lovely. It adds great value for money and a glass of wine is €1.25 from the bar (99c) during happy hour!

Yes the hotel is out of the way, but we booked coach excursions through the hotel who can pick you up and drop you back again. The buses run regularly (and cheaply) from right outside the hotel - buses run from around 5am to 11pm.

Even though it is technically out of season the hotel still had entertainment every night - personal favourite was the Jam Band who can play any song you request!

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would stay again.

• Stayed April 2013
I thank you for thoroughly enjoying your break with us and for posting your positive review.
London
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed at Paradise Bay for a couple of days while visiting family. It was a good hotel but not a four star in my opinion. As I have family in Malta, I have had the opportunity to stay at several of the islands' hotels. And, I have to say that none of them have been up to the rating they have been given (compared to other countries I have visited).

I felt that the hotel itself was a bit run down and very out of the way-you would definitely need to hire a car (if you dare). Food was pretty average. But, the view of the bay was lovely and we upgraded our room, which was well worth it.

I really can't fault the staff or the cleanliness of the hotel. So, while it was not a four star I would expect in another country it was a good four star for Malta and I would definitely visit again for the price.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
I thank you for staying with us and for upgrading your room which allowed you to have the standard that you wished to have. I further thank you for your positive remarks to tripadvisor and for your favourable comparison of our establishment against others that you considered appropriate.
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2013

This hotel had quiet hotel rooms with fab double glazing. The best advice I can give is pay the small extra supplement and pay for the BAYVIEW as theses are the best rooms as the seaview is amazing. The t.v channels are good for the English with bbc, itv, and more. Restaurant abit basic but they did do us a pizza as we were veggie and a omelette another night so couldn't complain. I think this hotel is good for a weeks relaxing holiday.

• Stayed March 2013
SMF001, Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Thank you for your comments and for enjoying your break with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
#5 of 12 in Mellieha
Dolmen Resort Hotel
Dolmen Resort Hotel
#2 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Paradise Bay Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!