“Great cheap break away”

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Great cheap break away”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel at the beginning of October, which we booked through onthebeach.com. Onthebeach.com were very good to book with and we had no problems with the company at all. The hotel was great for what we paid, the rooms were clean, modernly decorated but the mattresses were a little hard. The hotel offered a number of indoor and outdoor pools that were never crowded and nice to swim in. The position of the hotel was great as it was right next to the ferry for Gozo and Comino, which is were you can swim in the blue lagoon. There was a bus stop right outside the hotel so there was good transport to the more touristy places in Malta, as the hotel is quite isolated. The hotel has its own private beach which was small but nice.

The hotel was nice for a short cheap break away, we only used the room as a base as we were out exploring most days. Most of the staff were really nice and the food in the Al la carte restaurant was great. However, if you are someone that enjoys luxury rooms, plush surroundings and 1st class treatment then don't stay here as you will only be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for the newly renovated rooms over looking the bay.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vondyk
SMF001, Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Thank you for posting your response to TripAdvisor and for stating that we gave value for money. The hotel does offer various standards of rooms from economy to Promo to sea view to bay view and to Junior Suites so the standards offered will suit all.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (610)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Smooth check-in, lovely hotel foyer and bar area. We originally had room 420 which sprung a leak following the first torrential rain in 7 months. Reported it and shortly after we were shown to another room. Only single beds which we had to push together. Nice big room recently refurbished and large balcony overlooking the ferry terminal and Gozo. I suspect this position to be noisy in high season. Medium sized flat screen freeview TV with popular English and European channels and courtesy tray and fridge also in the room with extra blankets and pillows at our disposal.

Can access free wifi and internet connection in the lounge area but required to pay for private connection in the rooms. The breakfast was amazing with an extensive choice of full English and continental varieties. The dining room may look a little dated but was clean and overlooked the pools and bay area thus positioned on the sunny side. There was a smaller restaurant which we used a couple of times and the food and service was very good although a little on the pricey side. The plate of spaghetti was enormous! A choice of 4 pools, the indoor pool was lovely and warm and clean but the jacuzzi costs €2 and the €5 for the sauna. There are nightly events in the bar area for guests to enjoy free of charge. The hotel staff were always friendly and helpful. We required soya milk with our breakfast and this was produced each morning on request.

Just a short five minute walk to the ferry terminal with crossings every 45 minutes. There is an extensive bus service which stops outside the hotel and a day return ticket for €2.60 will take you anywhere on the island on any bus at any time on the day of purchase. Situated right at the end of the island so the restaurant and hotel shop have the monopoly as you would need a bus ride to get to the nearest town. Plenty of activities to do in the hotel complex for adults and children if you don't want to venture out.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Bay and the pool area as this position gets the morning sun directly...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LPBabe
I thank you for posting your assessment of our establishment and for appreciating the various aspects offered. Yes it is true that the Bay View rooms are southerly facing and are warmer rooms.

Northampton
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Well travelled, Middle aged couple .
Ok where do I begin ? The picture & 4 star rating on tripadviser made this our choice for our Xmas and new year break. To us the room which we are in at this present time is no more than a 2 star , which I would expect for students or backpackers. The picture on trip adviser bears no similarity to the actual room. On asking the manager be moved to a 4 star room like in the picture we are told to pay an extra charge. So don't be fooled by picture. We were shown around better rooms which are much better but never 4 star. (We have stayed in better 'Travel Lodges')
The hotels general appearance and quality of amenities are no more than a 3 star so expect to pay 2 euros for the Jacuzzi to be turned on & 6 euros for the sauna for a specific amount of minutes. Dining area is a very tired spot in need of a complete update , looks like never been touched since 1970. as i look around Xmas decor looks tacky at best. Would normally book our Xmas meal in hotel but not this year although other smaller restaurant looks quite nice.
Apparently we are not the only unhappy people here!
Next review to follow on completion of break, but at this time I would not recommend staying here unless you are prepared to have a 2 star room with 3 star facilities.

Room Tip: Insist or make enquiries before booking to ensure you get the better quality rooms !!!! Do not acce...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank elgounacyprus
SMF001, Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Unfortunately the economy room that you booked did not meet with your expectations and yes we were fully booked over the festive period. The photos on our sites do give a true reflection of our establishment all the way to our junior suites and of course the price varies according to the standard of room being requested.

Travellers are raving about these Mellieha hotels

leicester
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Check in I found very smooth, an English chap on the desk, quick and easy booked in, gave advice about ferries/buses/eating/trips etc. No issues. I asked questions at reception a few times with no issues.

I don't know if I was in a new or old wing, but the room was great, enormous, clean, tidy with a nice bathroom and a small balcony. Plenty of storage, TV (with english, german, french and maltese channels), wifi, good aircon / heating, the maid service was quick and good. There was a sea view, the beds were ok, plenty of pillows. Hairdryer, iron and trouser press in each room. The bathrooms had shower/bath plenty of fresh towels (changed daily if you chose not to be frugal) and toiletries and tissues provided. I didnt use the pools as it wasnt hot enough for outdoors or the gym, but sat around the pool area which seemed clean and tidy with chairs and loungers and a good view.

My ONE though HUGE issue about the room (just where I was located I suspect) was the noise of the generators or something outside the bathroom window (these ran down the whole inside of the hotel. I was room 458 so rooms around there on each floor AVOID) they sounded like a motorbike running outside your room ALL NIGHT, it took hours to get to sleep and then I was woken up early each morning getting about 5 hours sleep max.....I was only there for 4 nights and all unpacked so didn't ask for a swap. But avoid else you wont get any sleep. Plenty of lifts if you cant do stairs all over the hotel

I found the public areas to be clean and tidy too.
Breakfast was ok (I was B&B only) - long time slot which was good, food the first 2 days was a little cold esp the sausage, bacon and egg. The next days it was hot but no bacon. There were many options full English, cereals, toast, bread, juice, hot drinks, cakes, boiled eggs, poached eggs, meat and cheese etc so full continental also.

I did read the bad reviews before I booked but thought it couldn't be as bad as they stated, esp the Bulgarian couple with a 15 point list!! Yes, the food is expensive, you are in the middle of nowhere no other option for food so they have a captive audience at 19 Euros for a buffet with no drinks inc, it isn't great 10 Euros would be about the evening buffet value. The alacarte restaurant was as expensive. There was plenty of choice(with the mains, the veg salad additionals were the same each day), hot food but not 19 euros worth. Two days I found no starters as were listed, but having said that one night, the most tasty thick gammon joints Ive ever tasted. Varied meals to suit all tastes, if not overpriced – but due to my late evening arrival I didnt want to travel out for food so had to eat there.

Complaints about Internet access and Vouchers - I had No problem whatsoever, I didn't buy a voucher, it worked free in the rooms and public areas in the hotel, good strong signal to watch TV and do other bits and bobs.

People complain that it is in the middle of nowhere with nothing else in the area......surely when you book a hotel, you check it out before you book?! If not, then that's no-ones fault but yours theres plenty of info available that gives its location. Having said that its right next to the Gozo Ferry port 4.65E return. There is a bus stop right outside the hotel, buses to the whole island and really cheap (about 6E for a whole week if you want). Had close by beaches also. It is about. a 50 minute direct transfer from the airport (if not going on a coach via dozens of other drop offs), can book these at the airport for 5E.

Yes you did pay for extra coffee, teas etc - some hotels don't provide ANY, I had 4 servings 2x tea 2 x coffee, if you buy one in the bar a coffee/tea will cost 1.80e as in local bars but for 30c you can buy them in the shops. Yes, the shop is expensive around 8e for a decent jar of coffee - again you are a captive audience so they will charge a lot , you can always buy it when out and bring it back?! Theres a fridge you can out milk in,

Yes the tour rep was rubbish and lied (I found once I booked) and it ended up costing me more once on the tours - but that's not the Hotel, that's the reps, go into a town and book there instead.

It was a nice winter break, apart from the food price and noise (which wouldnt have been in all rooms) the hotel is nice, spacious, a quiet location with nice beach walks.

A bus ride away are Buggiba and Sliema, larger more commercialised/tourist areas which are good to visit and where you can pick up tours and boat trips from.

I am a single, female traveller and had no concerns about the hotel or the area being on my own.

Room Tip: Avoid central rooms around the 57/58 numbers on each floor 457/458 357/358 etc
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank PCME1974
I thank you for your very comprehensive response and for your overall statements towards our establishment and facilities.

Thank you.
malta
Reviewed 23 December 2013

The most thing I like about this hotel is the good choice of food. Apart from nice views and tranquil surroundings. Highly recommended for those who would like to visit gozo as the ferry is just 5 min walk away.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

SMF001, Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
I thank you for enjoying our food, scenic views and tranquillity and look forward to your repeat visit.

Qormi, Malta
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Great stay,nice hotel ,.It is a very cosy hotel,with a great buffet in the night,it is good for family with children beacuse there is the corner of play . I recomand this hotel to al maltese and foreign people .

Room Tip: rooms on the south side are quieter .
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I thank you for your very positive response.

Thank you.
Antrim, N. Ireland
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I was a solo traveller and it was my first time in Malta. Before I even signed into the hotel, the receptionist ushered me through to get something to eat in the restaurant, because my flight had been delayed and the dinner service was about to finish. I really thought this was a lovely gesture.

I was very impressed with how big the bedroom was and how much wardrobe and storage space there was. As i had arrived at night, I had a wonderful surprise when I pulled back the curtains next morning to see the most beautiful view. My room was at the rear of the hotel and overlooked the pool area and the sea. I had the sun on my balcony from early morning until sunset.

I had booked half board. The food was tasty and plentiful with different meat and fish dishes each night.

The location at the very north end of the island was perfect for me as I wanted to chill out and relax. It was a 5 minute walk to the ferry terminal to Gozo. The return ticket cost under 5 euro. For 12 euro I bought a weekly bus ticket. After breakfast each day I headed off to visit different parts of the island.

Room Tip: View from rooms at the back of the hotelget the sun from morning and overlook the pool and are nice...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank desmonandviolet
I thank you for enjoying our establishment, staff and services and for enjoying your holiday with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
#5 of 12 in Mellieha
Dolmen Resort Hotel
Dolmen Resort Hotel
#2 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Paradise Bay Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!