Just arrived back from our holiday in Malta after spending a week in the Paradise Bay Hotel. We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis, although I believe they offer half board and full board packages if that is what you're looking for.
The hotel was in a lovely, quiet location, near to the Gozo ferry terminal. There was a bus stop opposite which made it easy to get around, and during our stay we managed to visit all the places we wanted to. The hotel itself was great: very clean, fantastic food, and a range of things to do. There were outside pools, and inside pool, a gym room, tennis and basketball courts, a couple of pool tables, shop, and a bar.
I used the gym room on a couple of occasions - it was by no means a full on gym, but it had what I needed - a good selection of weights, a bike, steppers. The inside pool was good too; it was heated and there were a lot of loungers to keep our belongings at when in the pool.
The bar offered a range of beverages from fizzy drinks, to cocktails and alcohol and coffee and tea. In the evenings, entertainment was provided which differed every night, from music performers to films you could go and watch. We stayed and watched a couple of the singers who we thought were really good. They performed songs from different years so it didn't become boring and was fun for all ages.
Our room was a twin room; we decided to opt for a bay view room and were not disappointed. From our balcony, you could see the outdoor pool and out to the sea which was beautiful and refreshing.
The games room was a bit quiet - there were pool tables, and to play pool you put in a one euro in, but on ours there was no white ball! I guess if we had asked the staff for it they would have found us one, but we didn't. There was an air hockey table, but it wasn't working. So if you like a hotel with a huge amount of activities and lots of things to do, this probably isn't for you.
On four nights we ate at the hotel restaurant, Il-Merril. I have to say the food was excellent! It was buffet style so you could go up as many times as you wanted, which meant great value for money. There was a range of foods offered, from salads, to meats, to fish, to pasta, to quiche, vegetables, soups - the list is endless! I am a very picky eater, and I found loads of delicious things to eat, and had about 3 plates a night! And that isn't including desserts - there were different cakes, jellies, custard. Wonderful :) The hotel offered a deal while we stayed; the evening meal cost 19 euros, however if you bought at least 3 evening meal tickets, you saved 3 euros on each meal. For example, we purchased the 3 evening meal tickets, and saved 9 euros. Being as there wasn't much around the hotel in the way of restaurants (you could get a bus somewhere if you fancied to eat somewhere different) it was good for us to get the three meal tickets, and then on the other nights we ventured out to find new places to dine.
The staff at the hotel were all very friendly and helpful. While my partner and I were out there it was our birthdays, and after browsing through the hotel manual provided in the room, I saw that you could have cakes made up for special occasions. I enquired at the reception desk, and they explained you could have different flavour cakes made up; I opted for vanilla, although you could have chocolate or strawberry. I had 'Happy Birthday' iced onto the cake, and it cost 14.50 euros altogether, which was money well spent, because it was absolutely delicious! It was a cheesecake with lemon icing on top and chocolate flavoured writing. The cake was brought out to us once we'd finished our evening meal, and the staff sang happy birthday. My partner can get quite shy, but he wasn't at all embarrassed - it wasn't too over the top, just nice :)
The advertised hotel beach is very small, and only open in summer months, which we didn't realise, so that was a bit of a disappointment. But there are so many other bays and beaches around the island it doesn't matter. In fact on the last day we walked out to Paradise Bay, and it was absolutely stunning, and very quiet at this time of year.
Overall, we had a wonderful stay at this hotel, and we would definitely recommend it, although it does depend on what you're after from your stay. If you are young and looking for night-life, bars, and lots of activities, this hotel is probably not the one for you, you'd be better looking in St Julian's / Paceville for that. If you're a family, or looking for a quiet stay with wonderful views and perhaps looking to spend a lot of time in Gozo, this is for you! Hope this review helps :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "Beautifully situated overlooking the picturesque sister Islands of Gozo & Comino with its own private sandy beach, ideal for all ages." This very popular, spacious, comfortable and well-run family hotel has a secluded location surrounded by the clear warm water of the Mediterranean making it ideal for a leisurely holiday in the sun. English is widely spoken throughout the hotel by the staff. The Resort is situated in a secluded location surrounded by the clear warm water of the Mediterranean. The standard fittings for all bedrooms are of air-conditioning, television + radio, direct dial telephone, trouser press with iron and ironing board, mini bar (stocked on request), hairdryer, ceiling fan, safe (local charge) and en-suite bathroom. Some bedrooms are large enough to accommodate 4 persons. We also offer rooms with facilities for the physically challenged and the hotel is fully accessible with ramps and lifts to all public areas. A small ferry harbour to Gozo is situated a short distance away from the hotel and a regular public bus service operates to the main towns of Sliema and Valletta stopping at en-route towns and villages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, Expedia, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Paradise Bay Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradise Bay Hotel Mellieha
- Paradise Bay Mellieha
- Paradise Bay Hotel Malta
- Paradise Bay Malta
- Paradise Bay Resort Hotel Malta/Mellieha