“Not so great on your own”

Paradise Bay Resort Hotel
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I travelled to Malta for a friends daughter's wedding which was in Melliah. I arrived at 1 in the morning and the night porter checked me in. I was given no instructions on what was included in my all inclusive price not even in the paperwork I was handed. On being given my key I had to ask for directions to my room, no assistance.

My room was large, clean and cool. The maid came every morning to clean very early and if I didn't have my do not disturb sign on she came in even if I wasn't ready. On one day I tried to ask her to come back later but she didn't understand until I closed the door.

The food was ok but you really only get full board with free local drinks for the all inclusive price not really anywhere else to get snacks during the day, although I found out on my last morning I could get sandwiches and cakes at the Cockeral bar. The 2 older gents at the Cockeral bar were very grumpy and unhelpful not a single smile no matter how pleasant I was! I went to the beach bar for lunch one day which was a mistake as the young guy there was getting terribly flustered trying to serve half a dozen people and all the food is cooked in the hotel and brought over so mistakes were a plenty. People were just taking what they could rather than wait ages for the right order.

As is previously reported this hotel has NOTHING near it not even a local bar within walking distance and the roads are dangerous to walk along though an excellent bus service right across the road (access by underpass).

Hotel had very few British borders when I was there and the weekend of 21st and 22nd June it was absolutely heaving and you couldn't move though not sure of nationalities but very loud and lots of kids.

I was not spoken to by the entertainment team until my last 2 days so have no idea what kind of activities are on offer here other than what was happening in the bar at night.

As a single female who likes to travel and stay all inclusive this was not my best but neither was it my worst experience. Would go back to Malta but not here.

Room Tip: If you book a sea view room you overlook the road to the car ferry for Gozo and if you book a Bay Vi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank CharLieGirl50
SMF001, Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

I am sorry to hear that the night shift offered you little assistance and I assure you that this shall be corrected. The rooms cleaning starts from 09.00 hours and all clients have the option of switching the electronic sign by the door to Do Not Disturb, which can be followed when ready by the sign Please Clean My Room..

It is true that you must be on All Inclusive board base to receive the free drinks and snacks. I am sorry to hear that your single visit to the beach met with your opinion that the barman got flustered with six orders when they cater for over one hundred persons and the orders are computerized so there should not be a reason for this to happen. I shall look into this matter over a period of time.

The hotel is reasonably isolated with another two hotels near-by and the local transport runs every 15 minutes or so. There is a wide footpath and a cycling path running alongside the road and this pathway is very safe and a stated there is an underpass to cross the road or the traffic light controlled crossing. The statistics do vary with nationalities and at the present time there are some 18% British residents in the hotel.

There is an entertainment board located in the lobby which advertises 8 different activities during the day and a varied evening entertainment programme.

I am sorry to hear that we are not suited to your needs and trust that you shall continue to enjoy Malta.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

The key to having a good stay at this hotel is to manage your expectations. The hotel's promotional photos are extremely flattering - better to take a look at the photos posted on tripadvisor by guests. The hotel is quite a ways from anything else - but hey, that should be obvious from a glance at a map.

Rooms - stayed in a non-refurbished room - I guess they are going through refurbishment according to other reviews. The room was clean but VERY dated and worn out and VERY basic. This is not a room you would expect in a 4* property - think 2* and you will not be dissapointed. The double bed is very small - either really like the person you share it with or go for two singles or a larger bed size. The aircon, after having it on all day, kept the room semi-cool but not what I would consider air conditioned. Called to ask if there was something wrong with the aircon, was told that the person would check with the manager and then we never heard back. If you to to the hotel, go for a bay facing room - much better than sea facing as it does not overlook the road.

OPEN AN ACCOUNT! If you want to charge anything to your room during your stay you have to 'open an account' at reception. All hotels I've ever stayed in take an imprint of your credit card when you checkin to enable you to cover incidentals. I was told - after complaining at the front desk of not being able to charge something to the room - that I should have been asked on checkin whether I wanted to have an account opened (they block a few hundred euros on your CC) - but I was not. My advice is to carry enough cash to cover whatever you might want during your stay.

Be prepared to be charged for Wifi, pool towels (a deposit), not have a stocked mini-bar upon arrival (you can place an order at the front desk and have to pre-pay for anything you want). Essentially, all is designed to minimise any chance of anyone stealing anything from the hotel - which they must have real problems with! I'll leave it to you to make a conclusion about what that tells you about the clientele.

Beach - the private beach is pretty small and mostly not sand. The setting is very beautiful except for a very large ferry port which dominates the view from the beach and you will not find in the promo photos! The dive shop connected to the hotel is very good - best part of the stay! We had 6 dives there and the staff were for the most part friendly and knowledgeable. The owners are very very helpful, friendly and professional.

Pools - they all look fantastic but the water is heavily chlorinated salt water. Plenty of space for kids and the views on the bay side are very nice.

Food - only ate breakfast at the hotel and it was below the standard I would expect from a 4* resort. There was very little choice on fruit (1/2 oranges and either apples or bananas, depending on the day) and the coffee was disgusting. There were great vats of sausage, bacon and eggs - if that's your thing you will be OK.

Staff - We met a couple of friendly staff (the beach side food outlet and the poolside bar) and a few comically unfriendly ones. The bar tenders at the main bar in the evenings clearly would rather be anywhere else but at work in the hotel!

Lobby and lobby bar and other public areas - the lighting in and around the lobby makes your feel like you could carry out major surgery safely and the furnishing reminded me of a 1980s package holiday. When we arrived I was convinced that there was Karaoke going on but it turned out to be the 2-person band...again, comically bad.

Overall, pick this place if you want to stay where you can walk to your dive shop. Also, manage your expectations correctly - do not think of a typical 4* resort - and you will be fine.

Room Tip: Go with a bay facing room!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JohnOwens24

I agree that the key to enjoy your holiday is to research any establishment to ascertain what you shall receive and then you should not be disappointed.

The economy rooms, non refurbished are as stated dated but still functional and do meet the requirements of some clients on a budget, it is an option. As the majority of clients are prepaid clients we do ask for clients to open an account with us to enable them to sign for goods from the various outlets.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We went to Malta over New Year and had the best time. Although we did not find the winter sun we were hoping for, we still had a blast. The hotel seemed a bit deserted but that was because it was off season and all the summer facilities were closed. I would love to go back in Summer as I think it would be fantastic. Food was very good, especially on New Years Eve and Day. Only down side was having to sign a receipt for a drink every time you wanted one. I would recommend getting to know Manuelle who works behind the bar, he was very helpful and extremely kind to us. Rooms were great, ours was huge! Bathroom was a bit basic but what do you expect with 3 stars! Stay here and you will not regret it.

Room Tip: All rooms were excellent, a room round the back is better as you get a view of the bay, but sea view...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank OllieButton

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am sorry that the sun was not in your favour. Should you return during the summer I can guarantee the sun will shine.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed a week at this hotel dated 10th-17th June.
Very isolated hotel, a 10 minute bus ride into town to restaurants, beaches and supermarkets. Overpriced shop in the hotel.
Bus stops right outside the hotel. Bus ticket €6.50 for the week.
Right next to the ferry port, Perfect for wanting to go over to Gozo. However due to this, lots of car noise early hours of the morning if staying on that side of the hotel. Also the cars go dangerously fast down this road obviously to make the ferries on time!

Staff friendly and helpful.

We stayed on a half board basis. Drinks not included for evening meal. Overall food was satisfactory, puddings the same all week, variety of cheesecakes and melon.
Breakfast until 10am, however Best to go down to breakfast earlier rather than later as the staff begin to take off certain items at around 9.30am, such as the pure orange juice machine early. The other fruit juice machine contains watered down fruit juices - not nice!

The room was clean and newly refurbished. However we did have to pay extra to have a newly refurbished room - half the hotel rooms have been refurbished, half have not. Old style hair dryer (box on wall
With tube and Hoover like nozzle on end !!) In the room
Which was impossible to dry hair with quickly.
Had to pay for extras such as wifi, use of the safe in the room, to hire towels for the pool.
SEASALT POOL - big let down. We would have used the pool a bit more if this had not been the case.
Overall, a good stay at paradise bay hotel minus a few bugbears mentioned above.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Amyalison
SMF001, Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

It is true that the cars on the road are quite fast but there is a traffic light controlled crossing to cross the road. The standard sea view rooms that are located on the road side of the hotel all have double glazing and with the door closed the traffic noise is minimal, the bay view rooms are not inconvenienced with the road noise as they are located on the south facing side of the hotel away from the road.

I thank you for enjoying your break with us all be it the few minor issues.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

All family agreed to meet and celebrate the special day by a pool. the choice fell on Paradise Bay Hotel as it offered the lunch as part of the day. Arrived there at 09.30 and found deckchairs by the pool. (deckchairs need a refurb as the canvas is worn out). Pool was clean and fresh and heavily chlorinated that one could not open his eyes in the water. Spent the rest of the morning swimming.
At 12.30 moved into the main restaurant for lunch. Setting was excellent with ample space to move around. The buffet table offered all kinds of food / tastes. It was the best buffet lunch i've had this year. However foreign waiters need some training as one was very rude when we requested another drink (which he had missed out in the first order). The food was well prepared, well presented and best of all tasted excellent.
Afternoon was spent again by the pool. it was evident the the water was now not clean and circulating pumps were off as no water was overflowing to the surrounding pool gutters The pool water was leaving evidence that it had become stagnant as bubbles with surrounding white foam were collecting at one end of the pool. It was a real pity that the pool became a stagnant water bath where we had to cut the day short due to none of us wanted to get some form of infection due to visible stagnant water.
Showers and toilets were recently refurbished, but already need some maintenance.
Maybe we will visit again due to that the food was excellent but if the pool pumps are noted to be off in the afternoon, it would be our last visit. I hope this is not an energy saving measure to the detriment of the users. It would be a real pity !

Room Tip: Both sides of the hotel have excellent sea views, but if you want to see the rising sun / sunset and...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Pierre Paul M

I thank you for your response and shall address the remarks in relation to the pools first. The chlorine dosage level is automatically controlled by computer and manually checked and recorded as per guidelines, the possibility of the water being clear and correct in the morning and not being so after lunch cannot be so and the bubbles could be caused with the top up of water levels but I am sorry as the foam I cannot relate too. Again with some 800 guest at the hotel this day and with a maintenance team who check the pool twice daily not to notice or be informed that the pool was not operating correctly? As stated the newly refurbished showers and toilets in need of maintenance is so as the stainless steel fittings are rusty and this is being dealt with by the supplier. I do further assure you that the pumps were not switched off in an energy saving measure and that all should have been correct.

I do thank you for your very positive comments towards the standard of our food and for our sea views.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Just got back from 10 days at Paradise Bay and had a great time. I cant fault the hotel, the rooms were clean and quite large, food was good, bar prices were good and the staff helpful. My only gripe was the location which was a good hours bus ride from anywhere bar Gozo, and a 20 minute bus ride to the nearest bar or restaurant, having said that the cost of a bus on Malta was €1.50 per day to anywhere on the island.

We went on a bed and breakfast basis and because of the lack of nearby eateries were struggling to find somewhere to go for an evening meal, however we were able to purchase vouchers (discounted from reception) for evening meals at the Hotel buffet, as the other restaurant in the hotel had quite a limited menu. Breakfast was superb with a wide variety of items.
The pools were great, clean and well maintained, and the range of pools were ideal for adults and children.

The air conditioning in the room worked well (although it only works once the patio door to the balcony has been closed)

The management enforce a dress code for dinner, no shorts, beachwear or sleeveless vests, which I thought was appropriate.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sparkey99

I thank you for your positive comments and yes we are some distance from the cities but we do as stated have an excellent public bus service.

Thank you.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Spent one week in this hotel and visited around the islands. The food was very good, room clean, magnificent views and friendly staff. Especially the entertainment team(Alvaro, Sandra and Lucian) were very helpful, friendly and dedicated to their schedule. Unfortunately, at the time of our visit(10-17.05.2014) they were short on equipment and the guests were not very cooperative, which was very frustrating for them.
Everything was prefect until the last day, when we tried to keep the room(at an extra cost) up until later, but we were told we have to vacate it at 11:00, because the hotel is fully booked. There were only a few guests in that period, so I can't believe that this was the real reason. And, as soon as we checked out of the room, the all-inclusive was gone, even if we had lost the first day, because of a late arrival.
But, again, overall a very good holiday place to be!

Room Tip: Rooms facing Gozo and Comino will provide nice views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Florin Lucian G

I thank you for your positive remarks and I am sorry to hear that unfortunately there was not the availability of a keeping room on your last day and yes I must confirm that once checked out of the hotel your day of departure the entitlement ceases unless you missed your first meal of entitlement, then the hotel would honour this lost meal and you would have a lunch in lieu of that meal complete with the drink entitlement.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
#2 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
Solana Hotel and Spa
Solana Hotel and Spa
#3 of 12 in Mellieha

Been to Paradise Bay Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!