This was our first trip to Malta and thus Paradise Bay Resort, which was chosen in part due to other reviews (some from Tripadvisor), which were mixed. Here's a brutally honest rundown of our 6-day experience:
Pros: Spectacular view, friendly "activity" crew, effective housekeeping, helpful restaurant manager (when my wife needed to treat a nasty jellyfish sting), on-site tourist info, 3 pool areas (one indoor), friendly guests.
Cons: Outdated exterior and interior, decor from the 70's, unfriendly (and slightly too old) bartenders, slow drinks service during dinner (finished eating before drinks arrived), undersized buffet area (chaotic and cramped during all 3 meals), over-salted pools with an unbearable amount of chlorine, very limited selection for all-inclusive (no ice-cream for our kids was harsh), killer jellyfish in the adjacent jetty (otherwise a great reprieve from the oversalted pools), poor gym (can't believe they even call it a gym) and dirty toilets around pool area (feces was found on the floor one day and wasn't cleaned up for more than 4 hours).
Biggest takeaway: While a scenic view and a few friendly employees add to the allure, the hotel is grossly outdated, a majority of the staff needs more training in good service, and "all-inclusive" should be considered a privilege and not, as we experienced, a penalty. There is little chance that we'll ever re-visit this hotel and unless much is done to improve the quality of the service and infrastructure, it's difficult to recommend it to others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "Beautifully situated overlooking the picturesque sister Islands of Gozo & Comino with its own private sandy beach, ideal for all ages." This very popular, spacious, comfortable and well-run family hotel has a secluded location surrounded by the clear warm water of the Mediterranean making it ideal for a leisurely holiday in the sun. English is widely spoken throughout the hotel by the staff. The Resort is situated in a secluded location surrounded by the clear warm water of the Mediterranean. The standard fittings for all bedrooms are of air-conditioning, television + radio, direct dial telephone, trouser press with iron and ironing board, mini bar (stocked on request), hairdryer, ceiling fan, safe (local charge) and en-suite bathroom. Some bedrooms are large enough to accommodate 4 persons. We also offer rooms with facilities for the physically challenged and the hotel is fully accessible with ramps and lifts to all public areas. A small ferry harbour to Gozo is situated a short distance away from the hotel and a regular public bus service operates to the main towns of Sliema and Valletta stopping at en-route towns and villages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotelopia, Onthebeach, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Paradise Bay Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradise Bay Hotel Mellieha
- Paradise Bay Mellieha
- Paradise Bay Hotel Malta
- Paradise Bay Malta
- Paradise Bay Resort Hotel Malta/Mellieha