“Pool and Lunch”

Paradise Bay Resort Hotel
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We chose Paradise Bay to relax after a week's feast. It is one of the best deal we made - the pool is good sized and enjoyable while lunch is abundant with fresh mussels which are not normally found in every hotel and ample food to choose from. I didn't even have dessert because I was already full. For €32 per person it is quite worth it. I must say that toilets are also clean and accessible.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Graziella B
SMF001, Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

I thank you for choosing our establishment for your short break and for letting us know that it was one of your best deals that you have made. Thank you.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I am a first timer to Paradise Bay Hotel. It is in the north of the Island near the ferry to Gozo. It is isolated and there is no village or high street or anything like that. There is a bus which are cheap and easy to use if you want to get about. The ferry to Gozo and Blue Lagoon is a short walk. Paradise Bay beach is 10 to 15 mins away. We were a couple and all inclusive.
Check in was poor with minimal information. We just missed dinner and were not told that we could have sandwiches etc. The hotel is big and could do with a little refreshing here and there. The rooms, views aircon and maid service are all excellent. Our side there are 3 pools and there is an indoor pool as well. You can dive into the med as well from the hotel and that is where i did most of my swimming. I think the best pools I have experienced. There is an animation team that work hard and if you give them a chance they will entertain you and add value to the holiday. We loved Aqua Gym and tried our hands at most things.The food is above average for AI and I did not hear any complaints during my stay. The hotel; caters for a wide range of Nationalities and Maltese use the hotel and frequently book in for short stays especially to use the water facilities. The reception staff, kitchen staff, animation staff, outdoor pool staff are all excellent. The main bar staff seem to hate their jobs and are unfriendly and looked pained serving you. Evening entertainment is poor. Remember their is nothing else close by to go to. It is easy to make friends here and we did not have a dull moment. The hotel is child friendly. I would recommend the resort and may well be back.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor with bay view. We used A2 transfers rather than shuttle bus because it is a good...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Benchdublin

I thank you for taking the time to post your review to which it certainly seems that you did manage to Chill Out whilst on holiday. I further thank you for your many positive comments towards the hotel and its staff and its location. We look forward to your repeat custom, thank you.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Everything was perfect. The breakfast was good and enough. Clean and big room. When we asked a room change it's working a little bit hard but end of the day we've got a better one with very nice view from the balcony. Extremely quiet. Only just one interesting thing, there is nothing there: supermarket, restaurants, etc. But if you know that it's ok. :)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank asumirog

I thank you for enjoying your stay with us and for appreciating that there is a difference in our room grades.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I was keen to read reviews as anyone else reading this I was keen to get an opinion on Paradise Bay Hotel before I booked and checked in with my family 2 adults and children (14 & 11).I was quite worried, but I am pleased to say my worries were soon put to rest when we arrived. Yes there are positives and negatives, but the good things out weighed the bad and we had a fabulous relaxing holiday and was able to have a taste on Malta.

Firstly, yes the hotel is on the most northern tip with no local shops to walk to, but it was beautiful and relaxing and compared to some of the other hotels in town it was very quiet and peaceful as well as with picturesque views of Malta and Gozo. If you want to leave the hotel. There is the paradise bay beach, 10 min walk and very easy to get a bus to the local town (mehiela) 10 mins away. In fact the buses are very easy and cheap way to get around the island. The Gozo ferry is 5 min walk for a trip to Gozo. There are lots of tour options when you get off the 20 min ferry. No need to book an expensive guide tour!

The hotel felt modern and colonial in aspects and yes there are small signs of a bit of repair, but it did not take away from the cleanliness, spacious and relaxed feel. No probs with sun beds, 4 pools and always somewhere to chill, even at the weekend. Never felt too crowded. The rooms are an excellent size and the majority have wonderful views. The food was fantastic, good quality and variety. My only complaint was that cocktails and ice creams were not included in the all inclusive option. Never had that in the plenty of all inclusive we have previously stayed in. However, beer and local spirits were ok.

The staff were friendly, although the reception, animation team and Manuel in the bar pool, seemed most enthusiastic about their jobs. The animation team worked hard, but I feel they could have been given more resources and support to help improve their activities, especially in the evening and shows by the hotel. However, they kept our children busy and were lovely people. I particularly enjoyed aqua gym! The team always had smiles and were professional.

As well as a little beach, although I wouldn't recommend the diving, the instructor was rude and inpatient and a child ended up drowning and being rushed to hospital! The child was going to be ok, but it was very scary! There is a lovely little Jetty in the hotel where you can swim with the fishes which was a great experience.

The only other thing we weren't keen on was the sea water pools, which is very harsh on the eyes and sinuses! But we got use to it!

We went on the Gozo trip as already mentioned and the boat trip around the island. In hindsight we would have just got the boat from the hotel to the blue lagoon, which is definitely worth a visit. The tour boat is expensive and is not good for those who haven't got sea legs, most of our boat was sea sick for the first half of the trip as we hit a swell. This also happened on other trips and for what you see it's not worth it! Staying at the hotel means you get across to the blue lagoon easily for a fraction of the price!

However we had a wonderful relaxing holiday, met some great people and would happily go back again!

Room Tip: High room overlooking the bay
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank hellsbellsWatford

I thank you for takin the chance on booking our establishment for your holiday even after reading mixed reviews. I am very pleased to hear that our hotel met with your families overall satisfaction and that you all had a relaxing holiday with us.

I thank you for stating so many positive comments in relation to the hotel and its services as well as the location and we look forward to your repeat custom.

Thank you.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Me, my friend and his Mum and Auntie stayed here for a week on all-inclusive. The hotel itself was very modern and clean. There are many pools around the hotel ( two outdoors and one indoors ) however, there didn't seem to be as many sun-beds as there were guests. I also found that the sea was nicer to swim in as it was more quiet. We went in early July and there were lots of kids around by the pool. So, if you want a bit of peace and quiet I wouldn't recommend this hotel. However I don't know if that would change depending on what time you are going.

The staff were not very motivated and were grumpy. One day me and my friend asked for a glass of water each. The man behind the bar gave us a bottle and we said that we were all inclusive and he threw the bottle behind him and moaned at us, then very reluctantly poured us a glass each. All because he didn't see our bands. The people working upstairs outside, were a lot younger and seemed to actually enjoy their jobs. They had good music playing and were very friendly towards everyone. So i recommend going to the upstairs bar as a pose to going to the main bar next to the lobby.

Some of the staff at reception were happy to help you as quick as possible, although some were "too busy" to serve you at all.

However, it was not all bad...

The food was fantastic. High quality food in breakfast, lunch and dinner. There was plenty of choice of mains and desserts. The rooms were very spacious and our room (422) had an incredible view of the sea in front of us and we could also see Comino and Gozo in the distance, which was a nice sight. The bathroom was nice and clean and spacious again. The shower wasn't huge, but really, who cares that much about a shower? The cleaners of the room did a very good job of keeping everything clean in the room too.

The location itself was very quiet and remote. If you are one of those people who likes to explore other places, you can do so from the hotel; there is a ferry port 5 minutes walk from the hotel which can take you to Gozo for a reasonable fee. There is a bus stop right outside the hotel, which is incredibly useful for people wanting to go other places. The buses come every 5-10 minutes, and can take you to as far as Valetta. The bus ride to Mellieha beach takes five minutes and it only costs 1 Euro 50 cents to get a day ticket, meaning you can go anywhere back and forth within the bus's range all day.

You can get a speedboat to the Blue Lagoon in Comino for about 8 Euros. The water there is very refreshing, clean and clear. It tends to be busy there in the peak of season, but it is worth it due to the fact that on the way back, the driver takes you around the caves, so any photographers, be wary that there are plenty of awesome photos to take. And for the rest of the surrounding area for that matter. I would say that it is a very photogenic area, and you get plenty of nice photos.

Overall I would say it was a great holiday due to the things that you can go and do. The hotel was great, but the staff not so great. Rooms were above average and some had amazing views, some didn't. You're best bet is to try and book a room with a sea-view room. The are is nice and is quiet.

Room Tip: Sea View rooms give off the best views
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Aaron V

I thank you for your response and yes we are all different as you have found us to be modern whilst another guest considers us to be in the 70’s. There are some 650 sun loungers around our pools with another 150 on the beach. It is true that the summer months we do tend to cater for many more families.

I thank you for your many positive remarks towards the hotel and the few negative remarks I take on board and assure you that they shall be addressed.

Thank you.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

This hotel is very good in terms of :
1. Visting Gozo Island and Blue Lagoon.
2. Relaxation and quiteness.
3.To spend a nice honey moon.
4.For a very nice and clean sandy beach.
5.Various of good pools in depth and size in addition to a warm indoor pool with jacouzy.
6.Very nice food with with a reasonable price.
BUT...BUT...BUT...BUT :
Totaly isolated , very far from Valleta , very far from the airport , nothing around...and i mean it , just nothing...even if you wanted to walk along side the sea , you will be bored quickly in the second day. Despite that , if you liked to stay there and go to the city center by bus , there is a bus stop in front of the hotel. Take in your consideration that the ride to the city center is quite an hour and half one way...therefore , if you will go by bus from there to the airport , you must prepare yourself to be in the bus stop so early cause the time waiting between buses is so long an it is too long ride to the airport. Buses are very cheap , eu 1.50 for all day every where.
If you need information about attractions and how to go , visiting hours...etc , there is a charming old lady on the tour desk...forget to have any useful information from the receiption.

Room Tip: Only rooms in the renovated section are good.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Eddy-CE60

Yes I agree that we are slightly isolated but the is the easy option of visiting all areas of Malta and Gozo from the hotel as the public service is far superior to that of many other countries as stated. Should you have wished to be located in a town then I agree that you were at the wrong hotel.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Very dated. Average food. Things that you would expect as standard are an extra charge. Pricey food and drinks. The views are nice if you can avoid the obvious ferry port. Malta itself is nice, but I can't help think/hope that there is nicer places. The whole island is easily accesible.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

I thank you for staying with us and yes as an Island some prices are more expensive than that of the mainland.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
#2 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
Solana Hotel and Spa
Solana Hotel and Spa
#3 of 12 in Mellieha

Been to Paradise Bay Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!