“The worst experience ever”

Paradise Bay Resort Hotel
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
“The worst experience ever”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

On the arrival, the very unhelpful and unprofessional reception staff checked us in. We are the family of 5 (two adults, three children aged 1, 6 and 15) and we were given the smallest room you can think of. The reception staff was speaking her own language to her colleague while sorting us out, they were laughing and you could think that they were laughing at us. Highly unprofessional!!! We weren't advised about meal times, where the restaurant, pools and other facilities were. When we entered the room there were three single beds and one cot (the old style, metal and scrapped). We had one bed missing, I went straight to the reception and told them about it and that the room was too small for so many people. I heard "That is not a problem", then a man showed up and brought the bed in so the room space was even smaller. We thought it was a joke! The room itself was ok but not suitable for a family so I don't understand why they had sold a family room if they can't provide it. The night later our friend arrived to the hotel with her daughter and she was given same size room as we had. The meals were so boring. For 14 days we were eating same breakfast every single day, evening meals were not too bad, at least they varied day to day. The other thing was that the hotel was selling passes to people from outside (€19 for a day inc lunch), they were occupying the swimming pool areas and sometimes it was impossible to find a sun bed for ourselves. At the top, they were so dirty, throwing cigarettes ends everywhere and doing disgusting dirty things in the pool while children were in there watching. Once I was so angry with them that I had to tell them off as that was just not acceptable. I reported this to the manager and nothing was done about it. We were leaving hotel at 4 in the morning so the night before I asked for packed breakfast and the receptionist said the breakfast would be available in the restaurant, I was surprised as would not have expected to get breakfast at that time. So again I told her we were leaving at 4 and she again said the breakfast will be ready for you. Surprise surprise nothing was there and the only thing we could get was a coffee from the machine. As for the entertainment, it was really disappointing. Mini disco 6 days a week, every night same 5 songs. We have been to many hotels where we could watch some special programmes in the evening, well nothing like that was in there. Really really disappointing!!!!

1 Thank Aggie D
SMF001, Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
I am sorry to hear that our local staff were talking in their own language but this is often so as it is possibly easier for them to portray the correct meaning of a topic, I do not know what transpired and I have no reason to believe nor do I think that they would be talking about you. I am sorry to hear that you were not informed of the hotel services as this is normally a standard format on check-in.

The metal cots may lead you to think that they are old in style but they were purchased about one year ago. The room occupied as stated had 4 single beds and a cot in it, yes I agree that this would not leave much space and yes the economy rooms are our older rooms to which there is a considerable difference between them and the standard rooms.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Malta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

We took our kids for a night in this hotel. The pools are nice and the food is good. We were given a room in the old part of the hotel which surely needs to be refurbished as the rooms are old. We paid €255 for a night and definitely it was not worth the money. We could not even take a proper shower as the pipe was broken and water was not coming out the shower head! The worst part was during the night. We could not sleep as the air condition was not working and it was really hot. At 1.15 in the morning I called the reception to tell them and he said that he was coming to check. He phoned immediately back and he said that after half an hour the air condition is programmed to turn on and off but I explained to him that ours was not working at all. He said he will come to check. We stayed up all night and no one came. The kids managed to sleep as they were really tired but we had to stay in the balcony all night for some fresh air! If you're staying in this hotel make sure you'll be given a room in the refurbished part as they're much nicer and comfortable

Room Tip: Make sure you're given a room in the refurbished part of the hotel
3 Thank Reusan98
SMF001, Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
The older wing of the hotel is not offered to tour operators they are sold direct on the internet and locally, they are of a lesser standard to that of the rooms in the hotels main block to which it is explained on the internet and to all guests who phone to ask about availability. The price does vary against availability as it does with all hotels. A broken shower hose can be replaced straight away without problem. The air condition does work when the balcony doors are closed and throughout the night the chillers switch on and off automatically but the blowers still continue to circulate cool air as they are controlled individually in each room.

Travellers are raving about these Mellieha hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel, need to get bus to towns. (Can't walk to far) some rooms are not suited for family's to small. One of the patio chairs broke asked for new one 4 times still hadn't been changed 10 days later.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michelle M
I thank you for staying with us and I am pleased to say that we have new balcony chairs on order. There are public bus stops just outside the hotel offering an excellent service.
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

if your not after loud nightlife or bustling shops,but want excellent piping hot food,clean big rooms and a lovley beach this hotel could be for you.After reading other reviews I had my doubts before I went but was very pleasantly surprised.we only spent one day by the pool which is very salty,but my two sons were more than happy to spend hours snorkelling in the sea.there is a snack bar down there which may seem a little pricey but the food is fab.The hotel food is the best we have had.so much choice always hot and replenished.excellent desserts too not your usual squared piece of coloured sponge! entertainment at night is ok.but we were happy to sit on our balcony at night with a drink.We would definitely return to paradise bay and malta.

2 Thank maria b
I thank you for informing us of your pleasant surprise with the hotels services and for enjoying your break with, we look forward to your repeat custom. Thank you
Ħal Qormi, null, Malta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We chose Paradise Bay to relax after a week's feast. It is one of the best deal we made - the pool is good sized and enjoyable while lunch is abundant with fresh mussels which are not normally found in every hotel and ample food to choose from. I didn't even have dessert because I was already full. For €32 per person it is quite worth it. I must say that toilets are also clean and accessible.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Graziella B
I thank you for choosing our establishment for your short break and for letting us know that it was one of your best deals that you have made. Thank you.
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

I am a first timer to Paradise Bay Hotel. It is in the north of the Island near the ferry to Gozo. It is isolated and there is no village or high street or anything like that. There is a bus which are cheap and easy to use if you want to get about. The ferry to Gozo and Blue Lagoon is a short walk. Paradise Bay beach is 10 to 15 mins away. We were a couple and all inclusive.
Check in was poor with minimal information. We just missed dinner and were not told that we could have sandwiches etc. The hotel is big and could do with a little refreshing here and there. The rooms, views aircon and maid service are all excellent. Our side there are 3 pools and there is an indoor pool as well. You can dive into the med as well from the hotel and that is where i did most of my swimming. I think the best pools I have experienced. There is an animation team that work hard and if you give them a chance they will entertain you and add value to the holiday. We loved Aqua Gym and tried our hands at most things.The food is above average for AI and I did not hear any complaints during my stay. The hotel; caters for a wide range of Nationalities and Maltese use the hotel and frequently book in for short stays especially to use the water facilities. The reception staff, kitchen staff, animation staff, outdoor pool staff are all excellent. The main bar staff seem to hate their jobs and are unfriendly and looked pained serving you. Evening entertainment is poor. Remember their is nothing else close by to go to. It is easy to make friends here and we did not have a dull moment. The hotel is child friendly. I would recommend the resort and may well be back.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor with bay view. We used A2 transfers rather than shuttle bus because it is a good...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Benchdublin
I thank you for taking the time to post your review to which it certainly seems that you did manage to Chill Out whilst on holiday. I further thank you for your many positive comments towards the hotel and its staff and its location. We look forward to your repeat custom, thank you.
Budapest, Hungary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Everything was perfect. The breakfast was good and enough. Clean and big room. When we asked a room change it's working a little bit hard but end of the day we've got a better one with very nice view from the balcony. Extremely quiet. Only just one interesting thing, there is nothing there: supermarket, restaurants, etc. But if you know that it's ok. :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank asumirog
I thank you for enjoying your stay with us and for appreciating that there is a difference in our room grades.