“UNFRIENDLY: MASS AND NOT CLASS ORIENTED”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Ramla Bay Resort

Ramla Bay Resort
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Mellieha, Malta
“UNFRIENDLY: MASS AND NOT CLASS ORIENTED”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

The Hotel looks not so bad but I am really happy to notice that reading Tripadvisor (with much more attention), once experienced the hotel, I am not the only one who had some complains.

First of all at ARRIVAL AT 10.00 we got know that we could not check in before than 2 PM (which we can understand although I wrote down in our booking, at the booking time, that I will arrive with my wife and 5 months OLD DAUGHTER...) but we were much more surprised to learn that despite our ALL INCLUSIVE booking we could not relax on the pool side and have snacks and drinks but we had to wait for the check in which did cost 2hours more without refreshing for me and for my family.

Second ( trusting what we have seen in Internet either from youtravel, or booking.com, etc.. as well as the Internet page of the hotel and some good score from tripadvisor.it, I did not expect to claim for my rights for mismatching, made of deception, between what advertised and believed to book and what we received instead.
We were shocked to learn that the room that they wanted to give to us and paid in advance (otherwise we will have gone away..) was responding to a 2 stars standard room.

we have been told that we booked a standard room which is not not true WE BOOKED A DOUBLE ROOM SUPERSAVER WITH SEA VIEW. We got hard complaining even with our local Agent by phone (who was not there at arrival time but came one day after only..). Of course they had a better room which is not anyway one from INTERNET but at least value for 3 stars (or more... if you consider the wonderful view that we have from the balcony and not the furniture inside or the poor bathroom). We had to pay 25 Euro more a day (by the way in room there is no SHAVER KIT, no toothbrush kit, poor quality shower-shampoo gel, no shoe shining Item, NOTHING....But for sure you can buy everything at the shop inside the Hotel..which instead does not have baby food).

I proposed to pay only for the first night the 25 euro fee and make it up one day later once (finally) our agent will have come... but we have been told that either we pay the difference for all the stay or we will not check in..I became very nervous and raised up the voice upon the GM was passing by and wanted through us out from the hotel.., (I repeat my daughter is 5 months old..) !!!! Later on I have seen on it a chance to get out of the situation but the GM said that will not give back the money to us but to the agency only....Trust me I thought: better leave it..Anyway in that case I will never seen the money again plus I had to pay for another Hotel. We came down to get the room and let my family get rest, therefore I felt forced to pay the upgrade of 25EUROX 7 Days=175 EURO.

The same day once we went to the pool we got another surprise, you should pay 2,50 Euro a day for Towel (it does not matter if All inclusive or B/B, Half Board, Etc...) Plus Deposit of 23 Euro, which is mentioned for sure nowhere online or in my booking or not even in the paper that we got at the checking time, which is very detailed with a lot of benefit of all inclusive and rules to observe.

Trust me the idea is to peal the client as far they can...

At Restaurant (sometimes even in some other outlets) they ask you to sign the bill and to show the guest Key Card (which is not the key itself but the little Cartoon box which is entitled to contain the Key card)...
We suggest therefore the Hotel to avoid the expense for the wrist band if this has no value (e.g. all inclusive is violet)!!!

In the Evening I had to send some emails but Internet, which is for free at Lobby site is not working properly (although we booked the hotel even for that..). I asked for an explanation at the reception and I have been told to check in some other area of the Lobby, which I did with no result. Complaining again They told me that I am the only one complaining for.. (same was said for rooms and for Towels).

The Hotel does not have a business centre but a so called Internet cafe, very expensive (1 Euro 10 Minutes) I was forced again to spend money despite the all inclusive and what advertised, therefore I spent 4 Euro and sent my mails as well some more 2 Euro to send this comments!!!!

We stopped to complain since it is not worse, e.g we are lucky and we have a plasma flat screen TV (which is not in all room) BUT signal (and TV Programs) in rooms must be rather than improved either the air conditioning noisy and not effective.

At the reception some employees are very unfriendly (e.g. Joanna) as well as in Restaurant (most unfriendly there, the Maltese staff)

We ended up believing that all ridiculous regulation of the Hotel makes you experience not a vacation but a barracks as a soldiers, You have only command to follow up but no right to complain for.

I Live practically in Hotels around the clock and I work either with Hotel Industry and speaking with some F&B or GM friends of mine about this case and they told me that what we are experience in Malta is rather than ridiculous.

Their Opinion is that since the occupancy rate is still very high (more than 90% as in all Malta) They will not do anything against, they need to experience an hard time of recession and crisis for the sector to change their policy and have more attention to the client and work more customer oriented.

The beach side the first day was dirty and plenty of seaweed but then cleared up, although very close there is pollution dump (I think form next Hotel), flushing directly to the sea and time by time stinks very much, but the water seems to be clear..

The Hotel provides enough water sports activities for free (at least for all inclusive), plus a ride to the blue lagoon to Comino: an experience itself!!!

The Food Is ok (although in RESTAURANT waiters are almost stealing your plates, if you dear to stand up or not paying too much attention to your plate, this due to lack of dishes since we stayed already 3 times without plates and wait for dishes with other residents).

There are 3 Pools and a RESTAURANT-BAR at pool Side as well as ENTERTAINMENT during the day and Evening.

Our suggestion new MANAGEMENT, more International , more trained and prepared, could make the fortune of this property not only in short term but even for the future as well as refurnish and better maintenance for the rooms and most of all No deception on advertisement!!!!

I think Since They got into EU and in the Euro zone (I was in Malta several Times in the 90ES and latest in 2001) The Life Standard and Business opportunity increased sharply the people are not prepared for this and all of them are concerned to maximise shortly and never thinking beyond,.. A client unhappy means at least a loss of potential clients of his friends and relatives, plus all his work colleagues (e.g. for same or even less Money we could have stayed in 5 Stars Hotel inclusive Flights at SHARM AL SHEIK in EGYPT, or Spending Less in ITALY in SAN NICOLA ARCELLA 4 Stars Club Village...)!!!

For how long the charm of MALTA will help this Hotel and others to recover their Lack of Professionality?

P.S: The Local Agent was not helpful at all, sort out none of above mentioned problems, her bit is only to sell trips and Tours around Malta, and she told frankly that she cannot help me and that it might be better to solve the problem once at home (while our vacation is gone for good)
RABBISH ATTITUDE!!!!!

Room Tip: Book a deluxe room or pay at arrival an extra fee if you do not want to stay in 2 stars standard roo...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Roberto D
martinfrandon, Manager at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this review, 16 August 2011
Dear Mr Roberto D

We refer to the above-mention review which was posted on the 15th August 11.
Following are our comments:

You have booked an Economy/Low Cost room type on All Inclusive Basis and arrived at the RESORT on Thursday 11th August at 10.30 hours.

The Resort’s check-in time is at 14.00 hrs.

Upon arrival you started complaining that you wanted immediate check-in, a Sea View Room on a high floor & All Inclusive entitlement to commence at once and threatened that if your 'requests' are not seen to, you would do us damage and post a bad review on Tripadvisor.

For your info Economy/Low Cost Rooms have no sea view and are on lower floors. We fail to understand why whilst stating that the Resort is not class oriented, you would book a ' LOW Cost' Room.

You were allocated room no 73 which is a large newly renovated room.

You refused this room and insisted upon having s Sea View upper floor room. Owing to high occupancy the only alternative available was a Panoramic Deluxe Room Type which enjoys a full Sea View facing the Islands of Comino & GOZO on the 3rd floor. You were quoted a discounted rate of € 25.00 per day for the upgrade (2 adults & child),. You initially refused to pay mentioning again Tripadvisor and that you booked All Inclusive which obviously has nothing to do with the room type.

Once again you created a whole scene at reception and also threatened our staff. At this stage our General Manger who was passing by with some guests, stopped to talk to you. The General Manager even offered you a full refund and move to another Hotel.

At that stage you accepted to pay for one night upgrade which for obvious reasons we refused since your intention was to stay in the Deluxe Room for the entire stay. You then chose to pay for the upgrade. At no stage were you ever forced to pay. There was always the option of not paying and take the original room booked.

You checked in at approx 2 hours prior to official check-in time,

You also complained that we do not supply tooth brush and tooth paste & shoe shinning items in the room, claiming that these should be provided free of charge since you booked All inclusive. Our All Inclusive does not include these items and we have never claimed that tooth paste etc is included in our ALL Inclusive package.

Whenever we sign an agreement with a Tour Operator, upon signing of the agreement we state in detail what our All Inclusive Package consists of. The particular operator who you booked with, has the details on their website and a copy of the details were sent to you upon reservation.

On one particular day our wifi was not working properly, this owing to an external fault. Our wifi is against payment however in order to make up for this breakdown we offered free Wifi. We also have an internet café at a charge.
The charge for internet cafe is € 1.00 for 10 minutes. You complained that you had to spend the great sum of € 4.00 to use this facility.

You also complained that our staff is most unfriendly. We would like to confirm that at no point were any of our staff unfriendly although you were aggressive towards them and intimidated them.

You also mentioned that ‘no right to complain for' ??????????. All you did was complain.

Your negative attitude is highlighted by your own words, when you stated that what ‘Malta’s Tourism industry needs is a recession and crisis in the sector’.

You are also claiming that our beach was dirty with sea weeds. On one particular day the sea was rough and very windy. When this happens sea weeds are pushed ashore by the waves. These are removed on a daily basis.

Your claim that there is "pollution dump flushing directly in the sea" is unfounded, unfair, and a dangerous blunt lie and aimed only at causing damage to our Resort. You should have had the water tested prior to concluding what that is.
The water referred to is excess fresh clean water from our reverse osmosis plant..

You also stated that our policy is short term, For your info this Resort was built in the 1960’s. The Resort has been rebuilt and refurbished several times, with investments of millions of Euros. The last one being winter 2010/2011. So much for short term!

On a final note you posted this report whilst in-house. Notwithstanding all your complaints you decided to stay at the Resort.

We however leave it to our past guests, track record and the readers to judge. We also assure our future guests our best attention at all times.
At the end of the day, this is a business and we can only provide what the guest has booked and paid for. It would be very unfair on other guests who choose to book a superior room by paying extra and getting the same room type as those who have chosen to book standard or low cost.

Martin Farrugia Randon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

Stayed here for a week. Rooms are nice staff are polite. Food on the buffet needs some work. Its a bit out of the way but hired a car and we got around easily enough.Would recommend it for a relaxing holiday.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
martinfrandon, Manager at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
Dear Kurt

Thank you for choosing our Resort for your recent holiday on the Maltese Islands.

We are glad to note that you have enjoyed your stay, and thank you for recommending the Ramla Bay Resort for a relaxing holiday.

We hope to be able to welcome you again in the future

Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

One of the best hotels i have ever had the please of staying at. The place was fab, but it was extremely far away from anything in malta except Gozo. Regual boat trips around the islan at only $12 for 6 hours, including stopping at beautiful caves where you could snorkel off the boat. Extremely friendly and helpful staff that smoke very good english. A very nice touch was two photographers who would come and take family portraits and fun photographs around the pool. Food was very good with a very large buffet serving a viarity of different foods from fish to meat to pasta to salad every day. Rooms were very very clean and comfortable with a TV that had 2 english channels. Amazing setting with three reasonably sized swimming pools, however the beach isnt how i would describe a beach as it was only about 10m long, however there were rocked areas off the beach that came towards the pools that were perfect for swimming, but very deep there.
Overall a very good hotel with reasonable entertainment. I would recommend this for families that would want to chill out around the pool.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Alexandra

Thank you for staying at our Resort during your recent holiday in Malta. We are very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay and that your experience with us was a very positive one.

We appreciate your comments about our staff and will pass on your message to them.

We are also pleased that you enjoyed our buffet, and positive comments re cleanliness.

Whilst hoping to be able to welcome you again in the future, We thank you for taking the time to post this review.

Dorset, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

The hotel in itself was average. The aircon was rubbish (lucky it wasnt the middle of summer!) and the room decor outdated. We had single beds (when we had booked a double room), though the room was clean when we arrived and then cleaned on daily basis. The bathroom had a shower and tub and was nice and spacious. Breakfast was plentiful and you could easily go up for seconds and thirds! The staff were lovely and friendly and were quick to recommend restaurants in town to eat at. What made this hotel worthwhile in the end was its location; it has a gorgeous swimming pool and plenty of outdoor space which then leads right on to a clean and quiet beach. I can imagine it being a bit too noisy and overcrowded at the height of summer, but in May it was perfect. Enough people around to give it a good vibe, but not so many that you felt packed in. I would recommend hiring a car to be able to explore the island (especially if you dont like being in a hotel 24/7) as it is quite remote and a distance from the closest town.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Ri29
martinfrandon, Manager at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this review, 12 August 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying at our Resort during your holiday on the Maltese Islands and for taking the time to post this review.

We are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay and we thank you for your comments.
May we point out that the closest town is Mellieha, of which the centre is approximately 5 kilometres away for us. Although not too far, we are a nice distance away from the daily busy life. Bus stop is only 5 minutes walk away from the Resort.

We hope you will once again choose our Resort when booking your next holiday in Malta.

eastbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

Just returned from four nights away, 17th – 21st July. We have three young children, Ramla bay hotel at bit of a mixed bag really. Food is good, so much selection on the menu, there is always something for everyone, plenty of fish and meat plenty of salad a good choice for the kids. Overall layout and views of the hotel are good, room service and cleanliness very good, good free Wi-Fi in the lobby and some rooms, you can take you pc and use it in the lobby.
We hired a car a drove ourselves there, fairly easy to find, our UK Europe tom to worked just fine, you would be very isolated without a car.
You have to pay for all drinks unless you’re all inclusive, the waiters just have to get you drinks and clear plates, a function that they make very difficult. It varies from plates being taken when others are eating to a pile in the middle of the table when you’re eating dessert. The checking of room cards at the restaurant is delivered as an army function, we have two rooms, on one occasion, both cards checked on the way in and again at the table and a requirement to sign an empty receipt for sitting down, just bizarre and no customer focused, we waited 40 minutes once to be served warm wine, complaining is impossible, no visible management presence, most waiters are young people, just a young girl checking cards as you enter.
Outside seating is a no-no unless you like inhaling smoke, all outside pools are salt water, we waited 50 minutes to eat simple snacks at the pool bar, again complaining is fruitless as your asked to sign the bill before food arrives. The hour long swim gym session overtakes everything with loud euro pop and a hotel employees shouting at a microphone.
It not a bad place, a clean room and good food in a nice location, but could easily be improved upon.

Room Tip: Sea view is worth it
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Eastbournefamily
Dear Guest.

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Malta. We appreciate your lovely comments and we are sorry to note that you were not completely satisfied. May we point out that members of our management team are on duty at all times to assist guests that require their attention.

We have taken note of your less positive comments and will do our utmost to improve where possible.

Thank you for taking the time to post this review, and should you return to Malta, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

Having booked just a few weeks in advance, my mother and I were very excited to get away from it all and go to somewhere where the pool looked amazing, food and drinks were included and we would be able to relax to the max following exams etc.

All I can say is that we booked the perfect hotel.
walking in to our room, we were greeted with a fully air-conditioned spacious, newly refurbished twin bedroom. often you go to hotels and can go to the toilet, wash your hands and have a shower all at the same time, but at Ramla Bay, the bathroom was so spacious and lovely.

The food came with plenty of variety and catered for the many different nationalities. We were on an all inclusive package which included a trip to another island, a nice little extra!

the entertainment team were very friendly and welcoming, however, if you did not want to get involved, you could avoid the noise very easily. and something which can really make or break a holiday is sun loungers: there were more than plenty loungers and no getting up early to reserve one, but rock up at any time of the day to find what you need.

the resort is ideal if you want to escape the hustle and bustle. It is very private and although the hotel is big, it did not feel busy or imposing:rather it felt (and I'll say it again) spacious.

Only negative points:
Lifts could be temperamental during the first few days, but this was fixed for the latter half of our stay
Having to sign for every drink on the all inclusive rather than just showing a wrist band got a bit annoying (but I realise that there are lots of people staying on different board basis's)
couldn't use the Pool snack bar then the main restaurant was open if on all inclusive (this meant that at main lunch times we had to leave the pool area.)

but if they are the only downsides to your holiday: you have had a fantastic time (which we did!!)
thank you very much to the staff, including the bar staff, animation team (sonja etc!!) photographers, waiters and receptionists for a fantastic stay!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank lwjsvp
martinfrandon, Manager at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying at the Ramla Bay Resort and for your gratifying review. It is a pleasure to hear that you had a fantastic holiday.

Our system and procedure for guests on all inclusive basis, signing for their consumption, is for control and security purposes.

Should you return to our Islands, we hope you would visit us again,

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

I recently spent a week at Ramla Bay Resort with my girlfriend. The resort is in a very remote part of the island so be prepared for a long journey if you want to go sightseeing, however it was absolutely perfect for rest and relaxation. The hotel has its own beach and we never had any trouble finding a sun-lounger at any time of day. We steered well clear of the swimming pool area around lunchtime as there were some rather noisy family-friendly activities going on, however there was more than enough space to find some peace and quiet. We got one of the basic double rooms with a land view, however it was extremely spacious and we could actually see the sea from our balcony as well which made it feel like a pretty good deal all in all.

The highlight of the trip was definitely hiring a boat, which we did from the hotel boat hire service at Ramla Bay. We took out the largest boat which was very spacious for the two of us and easily powerful enough for us to spend the day roaming around the islands, anchoring in bays and experiencing the wonderful freedom of the sea. It was an unforgettable experience and definitely one of my greatest ever holiday moments. I would recommend this to anyone, it's not cheap but definitely worth it. The boat hire people were also extremely knowledgeable, relaxed and friendly.

What's holding me back from giving the hotel five stars was an extremely poor experience with the taxi desk in the hotel. We went to a concert in the middle of the island and paid in advance for a 24-hour taxi service to pick us up from a specifically agreed location. At around 2am we called the taxi firm, who initially argued with us and claimed that we had not booked anything at all, before eventually promising to come and pick us up. Despite our being at the agreed location (which was in a very desolate place) the taxi never materialised, despite repeated assurances over the phone every 5 minutes that the driver would be there within another 5 minutes. After an hour or so of waiting he admitted that he was not going to arrive, which left us in the middle of nowhere in a foreign country at 3am desperate for a taxi home, which took an age to find and cost an exorbitant amount. It was an extremely unpleasant and stressful experience, further compounded by the fact that the hotel taxi service refused to contribute to any of the additional expense for the taxi we ended up having to get, only refunding the monies that we had paid in advance. I am not sure if anyone else has suffered similar experiences but I would certainly suggest that anyone staying in the hotel avoid using that taxi desk and use Malta's cheap and excellent new bus service instead if at all possible, or simply hail a cab whenever necessary which I found to be much cheaper, with a bit of judicious haggling.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nick_JohnstonLondon
Dear Sir

We thank you for staying at our Resort and for your positive comments about our Resort and facilities. We are glad to note that your holiday in Malta and at the Ramla Bay Resort was a lovely experience.

For your info, although the Car Hire Desk is situated in our lobby area, this is managed by 3rd parties.
We have sent your comments to this particular firm for them to follow up and report.

For reason being that this is the Resort's listing, their report cannot be filed here. However should you wish that the Car Hire Firm contacts you directly with their detailed report and comments, kindly forward to us your e-mail address and your permission to provide your details on sales@ramlabayresort.com and we shall gladly pass these on.

We thank you once again, and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in Malta and at our Resort in the future.

Martin Farrugia Randon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Dolmen Resort Hotel
Dolmen Resort Hotel
#2 of 15 in St. Paul's Bay
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,615 reviews

Been to Ramla Bay Resort? Share your experiences!