“relaxing break”
Review of Ramla Bay Resort

Ramla Bay Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Staff all very friendly, food very good wine at meals tasted watered down. Rooms and bathroom clean, matresses cheap and uncomfortable and stained with no matress protectors beds could have been changed more frequently and it would be and idea not to have one sheet to go across two single beds as it is not big enough and keeps coming off. Beautiful sea view over gozo. Its a great shame that maintainence jobs had not been completed before the start of the summer season pools were emptied and painted drilling noise while putting up new pool rails got covered in dust several times while sitting by pool bar as the wood work was all being sanded down.

Room Tip: sea view supplement well worth it
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank wolverhamptonpumph
martinfrandon, Manager at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

Dear wolverhamptonpumph

Thank you for staying at the Ramla Bay Resort and thank you for taking the time to post this review.
We take note of each and every comment we receive, as this would help us to provide a better service and better product to our guest.

We do our best to keep the Resort up to standard, clean and maintenance works round the pools have to be done as the seasons are changing. However, there are 3 outdoor pools from which one can choose, and they were not emptied all at the same time for maintenance work.

We hope you will return to Malta and to our Resort in the future.

There are newer reviews for Ramla Bay Resort

Reviewed 27 May 2012

Nice relaxing hotel. A bit out of the way but beautiful. Staff very helpful.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vincehart5

Dear vincehart5

Thank you for staying with us and for your lovely comment about our staff.

We are 5 minutes walk away from the nearest bus stop for public transport and the village of Mellieha is 3 kilometers away Although we are in a quiet location, we are still not far from the centre of the closest town.

We hope to be able to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 25 May 2012

Stayed here in April with my husband for 10 nights.

Ramla bay overall is quite well maintained. Very clean and the rooms were standard. The pools were clean and views from the room were stunning. I didn't like the connecting door to the room next door. The walls were thin and you could hear peoples conversations word for word.

The entertainment was not great but that could be down to the time of year. The staff were hit and miss. The lady in the shop was very friendly and room service were always polite and efficient. The one maid repeatedly disturbed me when the "do not disturb" sign was on the door. After sending her away (as my husband was in the shower) she then INSISTED on me changing the towels, so to get rid of her I disturbed the hubby to change them over. A short time after she left, she then knocked the door only to hand me the "do not disturb" sign back to me!!!! Not very peaceful at all.

The Bad -

I would not recommend eating here. Due to having a trapped nerve in my neck, I was mainly stuck in the hotel room and ordered room service for the majority of my stay. I found the food to be very inconsistant. The same item on the menu was never to the same standard in quality or portion size. I am glad we decided not to pay 1000 euros to upgrade to all inclusive. At times the food was bearable. The buffet was not so bad. However I would avoid the pasta dishes. The minced meat contained huge lumps of fat that it looked like jelly fish! In the UK this would not pass approval for dog food! Just thinking about it I gag! The chicken was the best of a bad pick.... it was good for 1 meal and dry/burnt the rest of the time. The ribs were 98% fat and the steak medallions were also fatty. I couldn't even swallow the limp, warm, soggy salad. This is the first holiday where I actually lost weight and couldn't wait to return home so I could curb my hunger.

Overall the sea view was lovely but that was the only thing going for this hotel. Will never return.

Room Tip: get back in the car and drive to another hotel!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tanya1980
martinfrandon, Manager at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Dear Tanya1980

Thank you for staying at the Ramla Bay Resort during your holiday in Malta and for taking the time to post this review.

We appreciate the comments we receive from our guests, however we feel that your post is unfair, incorrect and very misleading to past guests and potential future guests.

The price mentioned is also misleading as you did not mention the entitlements that go with the price. The price tag you stated is not even correct when upgrading from bed & breakfast to All Inclusive.

As you are aware our main restaurant offers multi choice buffet meals offering a vast selection of starters, fish, poultry & red meat as main course, a selection of both hot & cold accompaniments as well as fresh fruit and homemade bakes. The menu changes daily. Besides our main restaurant we also have a Snack Bar & Pool Bar both offering a selection of snacks. Food I am afraid is a question of taste. I would have chosen better adjectives.

Should you ever consider returning, do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

I have just returned from a week at the Ramla Bay with my mum (age 30 and 66). I first want to say that around the may/June time expect some varied reviews as some people were moved here and it wasnt their first choice of hotel. Im going to try and review the actual hotel, with out mentioning the problems with the HOLIDAY PROVIDERS! Which is NOT this hotels fault. The hotel is in a quiet location, but is a five min walk to the bus stop which takes you all over the island, there are also tours etc which were excellent which also take you from the hotel all over the island. I would say though because of there being NO resteraunts or shops in the local area, with this hotel I would say all inclusive is a must. You also get all the normal allinclusive plus free use of the canoes and pedal boats, a free trip to comino, and vouchers off the spa, oh and also bar snack options if you dont want to use the buffet! I loved the food! Great selection with loads of English and international foods, you will be able to find something you like every time, I dont eat pork or seafood and I over ate every meal! The hotel itself is lovely and clean, and the room was large and clean, I didnt have a view over the pool and bay area but would of liked one, so when you book ask for one overlooking the pool area as that is also the bay and sunset side. It is not a party or lively hotel, so teenagers and older kids will I expect be bored here but for a quiet and relaxing or romantic break its perfect. There was a different singer every night so there wasnt much variety in entertainment but as I said it is not a lively hotel so thats fine. The pool area and sunbathing areas and beach are fantastic, plenty of different places and views to soak up the sun! Staff are friendly, also as English is their second language there is no problem with any of the Maltese people understanding you, and they are lovely friendly people I found. A bit of advice if you are visiting Malta make sure you ether hire a car or go on the organised trips, even if its just one (Malta bye night- amazing- the views took my breath away-) as there is so much to see! If you are into photography, culture and architecture Malta is the place for you.
So over all- great hotel-clean-lovely food-beautiful views! Book it if you want a relaxing base on one of the most interesting places I have ever visited!

Room Tip: There are loads of different room options which is confusing! Make sure you you ask for a sea AND po...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank sarahpoppy24
martinfrandon, Manager at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2012

Dear Sarahpoppy24

Thank you for staying at the Ramla Bay Resort during your recent visit to Malta, and thank you for taking the time to post this review.

We are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your holiday and made use of the facilities . As you well said, we are situated in a quiet location and yet so close to public transport (5 minutes walk) or a short drive away from other villages or cities.
We pride ourselves on being able to offer the relaxing break that one might need. School holidays will start shortly, and animation will be in full swing here, yet one would still be able to relax in a serene environment.
Thank you for the lovely comments about our cuisine and our staff, we do our utmost to provide our guests with the variety and the quality in food and other services and facilities.

Hoping you will return to Malta and to our Resort.

Reviewed 20 May 2012

These 30 odd time share apartments are right next to the sea and are attached to the hotel. We stayed in one of the two largest apartment. and the rooms were simply huge . This one had 2 bedrooms and there were three adequate bathrooms. The bedrooms were fine, decor apart, with good sea views but the lounge /diner did not have one comfortable seat and we had to make do with very uncormfortable built in settees. The apartments were built over 20 years ago and this shows - the decor is 80's utilitarian but functional. The kitchen could do with updating -the appliances were not too great. The resort is handy for the ferry to Gozo and there is frequent public transport everywhere. Beach is small but O.K and loungers were plentiful around the three pools . It would have been nice to have the indoor pool heated as it was no warmer than the outside ones. We understand the leases expire in 2015 which would explain why the apartments have not been refurbished as they so badly need. The staff were all very friendly and the place was well cleaned. We had a good holiday but it would have been nice to see the accommodation in better order. Contrary to what you may read Mellieha is not five minutes away by car unless you drive a F1 race car, it is at least 15 minutes. The hotel operates a shuttle bus - Euros 1.2 per person each way which is useful to get to the local supermarkets.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank greenfingersfishes8
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Having been moved by Thomas Cook from the Sea Bank Hotel which we were told was not fit to put paying guests into due to the consrtuction work still being ongoing, but still appeared to have paying guests! I agree it would not of been good to stay at the Seabank but Ramla Bay was a bit of a let down, yes its in a quiet location with stunning views, but very isolated! only 1 courtesy bus a day into the nearest town, rooms whilst on 1st view seemed nice, but on closer inspection tired and dated, bathroom - mold in the corners - staining around the floor round the toilet - toilet seat stained and paint peeling - outdoor swimming pools not cleaned properly,after some kind person left an unwanted gift a pooh! in the pool!, the poor bar tender at the pool bar called 3 times for this to be sorted and when the groundsmen came to clean the said items, all they did was scoop them up in a plastic bag. 4 times I had to ask resception to refill the restroom lady's toilets with hand wash and toliet paper. The entertaiment at night was shocking too loud too old fashioned, food always warm never hot, poor choice at lunch time, never any cold meats to accompany salad, 3 puddings always Jelly!! Mothers Day celebrated whilst there, well you would of thought there was Royalty expected more choice of food but us guests were herded to one side to allow the locals in.! made to feel like 2nd rate citizens. The staff are all nice and to try to be as helpful as they can, I blame the management for being out of touch with what is expected of 4 Star and an all inclusive package - This is not 4 star and I have stayed in many - this is no more than a 3 star

Room Tip: If its a quite location then choose this hotel as it is very isolated good views from sea facing roo...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lelliecheshire
martinfrandon, Director of Sales at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Dear Lelliecheshire,

Thank you for staying at the Ramla Bay Resort. We do understand that you were booked in another Hotel and had to be moved to our Resort at the last minute. This was defiantly an inconvenience and might have affected your mood however we are not at fault and you could have easily opted to be accommodated in your original Hotel.

As you would appreciate both properties are different therefore offer different amenities and character.

As for the location of Ramla Bay Resort, we are 3 kilometres away from the centre of Mellieha (shuttle bus leaves the Resort to Mellieha daily at 0930 and returns at 1200hrs – this service is free for All Inclusive guests).
The nearest bus stop for public transport is approx 5 minutes walk away from the Resort.

Re Pools: Rests assured that we are very strict rules as far as health and safety is concerned. We take water readings twice a day and these are recorded in order to check water quality of our 3 outdoor and 1 indoor pool. The guest’s claim re pooh in the pool is very serious one. We would have appreciated if this was reported when the guest was in-house or at least the date/ time involved in order to check the guest’s claim. This I am afraid is below the belt.

Re Mother’s day lunch the menu of the day is an enhanced menu and much more expensive than our usual Sunday Lunch (which is also enhanced). Having said that the guests booked on AI are entitled to this meal at no extra charge therefore we fail to understand your negative comments.

Hotels in Malta are classified by the Malta Tourism Authority which is a Government institution. In order to obtain a classification very strict conditions and requirements have to be reached and maintained. We are proud to say that we have never encountered any problems to maintain our 4 star classifications. We once again find it strange that a Resort offering , 3 outdoor pools, 1 indoor pool, a private beach, rocky foreshore, SPA, Gym, Meeting and Conference facilities all built on 28000 sq mt of land be called a 3 star.

We wish that you could have raised these issues with members of our management team during your stay and we would have been able to discuss and verify.

Thanking you once again

Reviewed 16 May 2012

Reviewing the RAMLA BAY RESORT on Malta is not an easy task. Rarely have I come across a hotel where plus and minus were so far apart. To be frank – we both experienced it as a quite uncharming hotel, located in fantastic surroundings.

However, things are not always static, and much may have changed since our 2-week stay there in March 2012.

The RAMLA BAY RESORT is located on the Northern coast of Malta, about a mile east of the Gozo ferry landing, and about 80 minutes by bus from Valetta and therefore somewhat out of the way – there is absolutely nothing, apart from the hotel, except the fantastic nature and a neighbouring hotel, the RIVIERA. A little off along the coast there are a couple of week-end shanty villages – otherwise: nothing. Instead there are miles of paths and roads in the surrounding hills of the Marfa heights with terriffic views, a dramatic coastline, wild thyme and plenty of fresh air for the sporty ones. Otherwise, you only have the hotel, and that may be a bit meagre.

The hotel is an immense block of redish/orange colour – the colour of the surrounding soil and that of the Sahara dust which the wind carries in from nearby Africa. There is not much charm about the exterior of the 280-room/5 storey structure that looks more like an office buiding than a hotel. The long building is situated in a right angle to the rocky coastline offering ocean and/or country view from most rooms – some of the ones on the lowest floor have obstructed views, some facing concrete walls on the entrance ”back” side with the hotel parkinglot to boot. The hotel's own web-side states that ”all rooms have unobstructed views” - well, the truth has many faces, depending on the seeing eye. Of course, the higher up, the larger the rooms and better the views. All rooms have balconies – most are integrated in the facade and some are ”outside”, hanging cagelike on the wall; not very comfortable with all the wind around. On the ”front” side facing the coast towards the ferry landing there is a number of separate low apartment houses, a bar, a restaurant, three pools and a kids' pool - all in a terraced tropical garden with sheltering nooks and crannies; the wind is always present. Here, to one side, you'll find a minute beach – roughly 50 meters across for those who prefer the real thing to swim in.

The hotel appears to be built last year, inside and out, but that is obviously not the case – a closer look at the facades reveals various extensions. A fellow guest told me that he had spent his honeymoon there way back in the 1970'es, ”but is was much smaller then”.

Entering the RAMLA BAY hotel you'll find an airy lobby with two lifts to the left and some tall plants in the middle, and to the right the reception desk with an ”art deco”-ish backdrop - all quite stylish. The style is thoroughly minimalistic – cool in its very sense.

From then onwards, into the lounge areas, the style becomes ”concrete parking basement” with numerous prominent pillars whose subdued colours do little to soften up the ”bunker” look and ambience. In between the many pillars there are some large, uncomfortable easy-chairs, some sleepy lamps and objets d'art. It was a bit depressing, especially in the evening, with ageing guests sitting silently around. However, during the Summer season things may look different the seemingly fine outdoor alternatives taken into consideration, but this was in March.

Further on, behind the many pillars, one will find the bar (nor very appealing), a small dance floor and ”The Sunset Lounge”, a sitting area facing the ”front” garden. Outside there is a nice terrace. Some evenings there would be entertainment of the one-man band kind, some of which was quite good. The inside decor includes a small basin with a genuine fisherman's boat complete with ”eyes” at the bow designed to protect against evil eyes.

The bar – the most unattractive of the kind we have long seen. It is set low in a ”pit” around which on two sides you sit high above and look down into a maze of stainless steel wash basins, beer taps, coffe machines and what have you. All the things they'd do everything to hide from sight in any other bar are here in full view – maybe intentional, but if so not the brightest idea. Mature bartenders in dull, beige shirts and black trousers would reluctantly attend to your order if they were not watching the prominent TV on the wall. The whole place mirrors the drab columned lounge area. It gave a very sterile and barren impression – not the welcoming and intimate ambience a bar should have and for which we all go in the first place. Typically you would see the same small clique of patrons around the bar evenig after evening. There was one nice thing about it, though – the prices! A pint of beer went for € 2.60 – a gift...

We, I and my travel mate, like several other guests we spoke to, would spend most evenings in our rooms watching TV or reading – the downstairs option not very tempting.

Opposite the bar you'd find the entrance to the main resutanrant, ”The Horizon” (there is also another restaurant – the out-door ”Alang-Alang”, which was closed during our stay). The rather large restaurant is at first glance quite inviting and divided into three sections by large, handsome framed bamboo screens. The two sections closest to the entrance are, however, furnished with rather uncomfortable wooden chairs without cushions, and besides the relation between seats and tabletops was not good – you har to eat with raised elbows, which was pretty tiring. The section furthest away from the entrance had nice and comfortable cushioned chairs and good tables – most tables being small (max. 3 persons). No tableclothes anywhere – ony wooden or plastic tabletops.

The meals were buffet-style with people milling around. Because of the lack of soft surfaces the restaurant was extremely noisy and chaotic – it resembled a major railway station at rush hour. At times the noise was almost unbearable, making the meals very stressed and much less than a pleasure. You just wanted to eat and get out again quickly.

The otherwise roomy restaurant seemed far too small – the out-door section being closed. There were frequently lines of guests queueing up at the entrance waiting for a table, to which you eventually, sooner or later, would be assigned. This unpleasantness could to a large extent have been avoided had it not been for a peculiar arrangement by the management: every night for dinner they would reserve a considerable number of seats in the best section (of course) for some German and English groups - for one particular German group alone up to 38 seats, plus those for the others! - who more often than not did not show up! If they were late back from a tour, or gone on a ”Valetta by Night” thing, the tables remained vacant leaving the reservation signs grinning at guests trying to find somewhere to sit. Obviously the hotel was under pressure from tour operators insisting that their groups should dine together at all times. Whatever was behind this odd and very shortsighted arrangement remain obscure, but it certainly was not very nice or considerate towards the other (less important?) guests who could have had a table without unneccessary waiting.

The food, however, was very good. Main courses were varied with side dishes of all kinds galore, and the desert and cakes counter was always crowded. My only objection concerns the breakfast fried eggs, a favourite of mine – albeit appearing fried they were actually not. They were somehow cooked/boiled in some fat/oil, and the scrambled eggs seemed to stem from some ready-made powder. Boiled eggs came in one version only - green. Good breads, and coffee and tea you fetched yourself from a machine, just as the somewhat synthetic-tasting juices. A very efficient restaurant staff made it all work with a smile. Besides, like in the bar wine prices were very moderate, if not downright cheap, and left-overs would be kept for you until next day.

On arrival we were allocated a ground floor room, but opted immediately for something better on an upper floor with ”front”-side ocean view, for which they cashed in an extra € 280 for two weeks. Our room – no. 356 – on third floor was a pretty standard twin with TV, fridge, A/C, a nice sitting group, etc. etc. - roomy, but not anything special. Most days the room was kept impeccable, but not always – some room-maids seemed to have had their minds elsewhere. Besides the bed sheets were laid directly upon the main mattress – there was no top-mattress in between which could be changed in case of earlier (or current, for that matter) ”accidents”. There was a large furnished balcony with a fantastic view with even more spectacular sunsets. But in all fairness – it was all quite comfortable, and that was it.

The hotel operates with different room types and sizes - ”Comfort”, ”Panoramic”, ”Panoramic Deluxe Sea View Suites” and ”Panoramic Junior Suite Sea View Rooms”. I asked to see some other rooms, but sorry, there were none ”available”, so I cannot speak for the other alternatives. I was, however, told that the lower floor rooms on the entrance side were smaller, and that ours was a ”superior” room. The rather aloof receptionist did not find it worth while to specify it further. I later learned from a room-maid that it was a ”Panoramic De Luxe Sea View Suite”. We did not, however, notice much ”De Luxe” or ”Suite” about it, but these are very elastic terms indeed.

The hotel seemed to be quite full even in March, causing, as mentioned, restaurant capacity problems. The clientele was definitely of the more mature kind – the vast majority 60+. There were some Englishmen and an unspecified minority of other nations, but mostly enterprising German groups with efficient and very authoritative lady guides leading the battle and their troops with firm hands.

The hotel offers many fine conveniences in spite of its barren and somewhat uninviting appearance – there is a ”Spa du Soleil” with a heated in-door pool, sauna and fitness facilities etc., Wi-Fi (against a hefty fee), conference facilities, pools and gardens, and more. Plus a ”supermarked” with limited opening hours (selling postcards, toothpaste, beer six-packs and junk souvenirs galore) and a pretty tedious games room for the youth.

Well, this was all in March 2012. It may all look different at other times, but had it not been for the fantastic nature surrounding the Ramla Bay area, we would most likely have regretted going to the RAMLA BAY RESORT in the first place. Looking at the hotel's own web-page we have a strong feeling that it promises a bit more than it can actually deliver.

Putting the package together - the unattractive ”basement” lounge areas, the impeccable cleanliness in general, the noisy and chaotic restaurant with the good food, the friendly staff (reception a bit too aloof, though), the unappealing bar, the fantastic location and surroundings, the very average ”de luxe” room, the ”concrete bunker” architeture etc., we'll stretch ourselves to give the RAMLA BAY RESORT experience all together *** - no more.

Check http://www.ramlabayresort.com/ - Also see my enclosed photos

ohoy Copenhagen May 2012

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank ohoyCopenhagen
martinfrandon, Manager at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

Dear ohoyCopenhagen

Thank you for staying with us at the Ramla Bay Resort during your stay in Malta, and for taking the time to post this review.

We are glad that you have enjoyed your holiday, however we regret that we have not met your expectations in certain aspects and that the Resort's architecture is not to your taste.

The Resort was originally built as a small Hotel way back in the 1960s. Since then the Resort was completely renovated, the last refurbishment and extensions (now 280 rooms) were completed in April 2011.

I am afraid, during the winter period, November to March, owing to weather conditions certain facilities like the 3 outdoor pools, private beach, water sports centre, to mention a few are not available.

The Resort's location, is and and always was, on ther Northern Tip of Malta, right on the water's edge facing the islands of Comino & Gozo on one side whilst open unobstructed countryside on the other side.

What was missing in the extensive write-up is that, public transport, taking you to all of Malta attractions is only 300 meters away from the Resort. The village of Mellieha is 3 kilometers away. The shuttle ferry service to the charming islands of Gozo and Comino is 2 kilometers down the road (from May to October boat trips to Comino are available on site). Other means of transport like car hire, taxi service and excursions are available from our front office on 24 hour basis.

Thank you for your good comments relating to our food and Horizon Restaurant. Yes it is very true, we had a very busy March with several cultural groups and individuals in-house. Our Restaurant opens from 1800hrs to last orders at 2130hrs. However many people, especially certain nationalities, decide and prefer to go to dinner at the same time 1800hrs, which obviously causes a few minutes of waiting. By 2030hrs the restaurant is half empty with ample space and no waiting time.

We regret that you have not raised any of your issues with any member of thaff or management whilst you were here.

Thanking you once again, we hope you will consider returning to our lovely Islands in the future.

Martin Farrugia Randon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
#2 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
Solana Hotel and Spa
Solana Hotel and Spa
#3 of 12 in Mellieha

Been to Ramla Bay Resort? Share your experiences!