“short break”
Review of Ramla Bay Resort

Ramla Bay Resort
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed 22 January 2013

it was avery nice experience with a lovely room that has view of gozo and commino food was good and varied choice.i think that in summer it is meravelous because of the private beach.the sauna is a little bit small and the indoorpool is cold in january we only stay few minutes but at all it is a lovely hotel in a very relaxing area

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank jokama
martinfrandon, Manager at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Dear Jokama

Thank you for choosing the Ramla Bay Resort, and thank you also for your post and lovely comments.

Regarding your comment on the indoor pool, the temperature is monitored and logged on a daily basis. Temperature during the winter months is set at minimum 28 degrees celsius and maximum 29 degrees celsius which is the recommended safe temperature for a general purpose indoor pool.

We hope you will return for another relaxing short stay with us, as we look forward to welcoming you again.

Martin Farrugia Randon

Write a ReviewReviews (2,065)

Reviewed 15 January 2013

Great weekend break. Breakfast & dinner were excellent. Varied choice of food. Also excellent service and very clean rooms. Beautiful surroundings.
One thing I have to complain about was the indoor pool which was cold for January. We made our complaint to the reception on our first day, but all in vain. We could not enjoy the pool whilst the weather outside was really cold and windy.
Another thing we found not so satisfying were the mattresses, I wouldn't image sleeping a whole week on that kind of mattress.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank fiore7178
martinfrandon, Manager at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2013

Dear fiore7178

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Ramla Bay Resort for your weekend break. We are glad to read that you have had a great break and that you found our cuisine excellent.

We regret to read that you did not find the matress comfortable. Had you informed us whilst you were in house, we could have checked or even changed your mattress if needed.

We hope you would return to the Ramla Bay Resort for another break in the near future.

Reviewed 13 January 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful trip to Malta. This was the first time we had been there and I wasn't sure what to expect. This was our first time ever away from home over the festive period and we had mixed feelings. I have to say that I really enjoyed myself. The hotel was really good. We paid extra to have a deluxe panoramic room as we were to be there for 21 days. We had room 330. It was lovely as we could watch the ferry to Gozo coming and going. The room is large and has a two and a three seater setee. The balcony is large and the room has a fridge, safe and tea and coffee making facilities.The bathroom is large with a great shower and loads of hot water which comes out in a deluge. I checked the hotel website out and saw that the deluxe panoramic rooms had a complimentary safe. Because we had paid extra for this room, we had expected to be able to use the safe as complimentary. Unfortunately, because we booked through a tour operator, we were told we would have to pay. I also assumed that the beds were two kingsize beds because of the way I had read the information on the hotel website. It only has one kingsize bed. The rooms were cleaned every day and we had fresh towels supplied each day which were soft and fluffy. I found the bed firm but I was very comfortable and slept well. My misunderstanding regarding the bed and safe issues were dealt with very promptly and courteously. Special thanks to housekeeping and to Maria who got everything sorted for us. The food was excellent and plentiful. We were half board and I have to say that on Christmas Day and especially New Years eve, the chefs surpassed themselves. I can only say that it was a fantastic feast and I enjoyed everything I had. To the people who worked so hard in the Horizon restaurant and also the young people who served in the bar, thank you for everything. There was entertainment on most nights which was very enjoyable. Thanks to all at the Ramla Bay Resort for a really great time. I feel that the hotel would benefit from free wifi as 8 euros a day is expensive. I managed to use the Riviera Hotel's wifi which IS free from the balcony or sitting by the window. Also, a coin operated guest laundry would be appreciated by those of us who stay for three or four weeks and fly with budget airlines with low baggage allowances. I am so glad we stayed here though as it was lovely to come back to after visiting the sights. The air is fresh and clean. I would love to come back again.

Room Tip: Third floor deluxe panoramic rooms are really spacious with a lovely view and the sun in the afterno...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Loulou777

Dear loulou 777,

We thank you for posting your comments and for choosing to spend the festive season at the Ramla Bay Resort.

We are glad to note that you have enjoyed your stay which was also blessed with good weather.

The room safe is free of charge in our Panoramic Deluxe and Junior Suites regardless if you booked directly or via an Operator. We very much regret If you were informed otherwise.

We have now introduced a WIFI Hot Spot offering free connection in our Lobby Bar Area. This facility remains available at a charge in other public areas and rooms.

We are also glad to note that you might visit the island again, we therefore look forward to host you during your next stay.

Reviewed 13 January 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a week in October. We're in our 20s so we found the resort perfect for snorkelling on the private beach- they also have a range of affordable water activities such as jet-skiing, which we loved. I would urge people to get out of the resort and use the local bus service nearby to explore Malta and other restaurants as the food in the hotel really wasn't the best. So glad we only paid for B&B as the buffet and restaurant left us underwhelmed. Service isn't great and food was overpriced and not very nice. Breakfast was great though. Overall, Room was immaculate, resort is beautiful, good location. Would recommend, particularly for families and older couples.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank charlalyssia
martinfrandon, Manager at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2013

Dear Charlalyssia,

We thank you for choosing our Resort and Malta. We are also glad to note that you have enjoyed your stay and our facilities.

Yes, our location, right on the water’s edge, surrounded with crystal clear sea is a plus for us. Anyone who wants to enjoy the sea and un-spoilt countryside at the same time, has a field-day at our Resort.

We look forward to welcoming you once again at the Resort,

Reviewed 9 January 2013

Four of us stayed here in July, Turn up at hotel middle of the night, Asked if we are checking out? Then asked for a voucher which we were never made aware of, Then told we would have to sort it or be kicked out! They even left notes in both rooms the following morning. (other couples had same issue) Rep sorted this issue out next day thankfully. One night we had to have a argument with the staff in the Restaurant because we hadn't booked the night before.. The place was empty! after some heated discussion they gave us a table, Only 5 tables were taken in the whole place while we were there. Don't get me started on our "view" It's too far out of the way we found and local buses can sometimes take a lot longer than advertised due to road works in the area. Do your self a favour and stay closer to St Pauls bay.

Room Tip: If they try and place you on the first floor above the breakfast area! Tell them no. My photo attach...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ZG002

Dear ZG002

Thank you for choosing to stay at our Resort. We regret to note that you were not fully satisfied.
I am afraid that that we can’t check your claim since we don’t have your name or date of arrival.

By the looks of it, however, you must have arrived late at night and your reservation was not sent to us by your travel agent. The fact that you state that this was sorted out by your Rep the next day confirms what might have happened.
You claim that you ’ were told we would have to sort it or be kicked out !!!!’. This statement is very serious and very damaging, did you report this behavior to anyone of the Duty Mangers who are at the Resort 24/7 or your Rep? We take each and every comment we receive very seriously, and had you done so we would have sorted this out immediately and clarified everything there and then.

You claim that you stayed with us way back in July 2012 -7 months ago and posted your review now, whilst we would have appreciated to receive your comments whilst you were in the Resort.

Re your comments regarding road works, these now have been completed.

Please feel free to contact us directly on sales@ramlabayresort.com and give us your full name and date of arrival we will gladly investigate further and inform you of the outcome.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

We would like to thank Ramla bay for an amazing 2 weeks holiday over xmas & new year! staff were incredible, any request was made with a smile and more! We met all management they were all hands on and always had time to talk to anyone. There policy is very high and rightfully too, if you have a querie or problem please dont put it on reviews after holiday inform someone while you are there so they can fix this, i personally read some reviews before travelling and it dampened my expectations! this was soooo not the case! Thank you again to Ramla Bay for your kindness & hospitality you have a fantastic team of well mannered and kind staff......
A big thank you to all staff as they were amazing.
I also have read recent reviews about getting room cleaned earlier and other minor request, management actually said to us a few times if customers dont ask then we cant fix it for them to make there holiday more perfect for them, please ask as u will receive, if u do meet the odd person that doesnt smile go to another member of staff.
The car park was fantastic for us we parked in the same spot every day, and we were there for 2 weeks over xmas & new year we found no hassle with this, but i would say the maltese out on the roads if they are behind you then move over and let them past as they know the roads better than us travellers, as the roadworks are still going on on some roads to improve them.
We upgraded halfway threw holiday and was worth it, just sorry we didnt get 4th floor but it was still worth the move.
There is lots to do, spa gym, indoor heated pool which was chlorine as many indoor pools in malta are filled from the sea which is easier & cheaper to do, this pool was gorgeous to swim in & spotless plus staff on were very nice. bring your own robe so u can throw it on and walk back to your room as the charge is a bit pricy for it if you only staying a few days.
all in all this hotel is 5star in our eyes, i have 2 kids age 9 and 6 and they had always something to do and the kids club was fantastic & lots to do and the wii came in handy too.
popeye village is a must for kids its only round the corner and you could spend hours there, eat in the restaurant inside the place not the one outside.
Do not be put off by bad reviews everybodys experience is differant but its what you make it yourself.
Introduce yourself to brian the events manager & mario the manager in the hotel whoyou will always see walking about introducing himself, they are wonderful people and have a lot of time to talk to you.
I never sleep on holiday due to the beds and both rooms we were in the beds where fantastic as i slept in on most mornings as i didnt want to get up.
good luck we travelled 18th dec to 1january

Room Tip: the higher the room the better, but more money to get this but worth it.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank lorrmar2004
martinfrandon, Manager at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

Dear Lorrmar2004

Thank you for staying at our Resort during your recent holiday in Malta. Thank you also for taking the time to post this review and your lovely comments on tripadvisor.

Our Staff and Management team do their utmost to make every guest’s holiday as perfect as possible and it is a great pleasure to read that together we have succeeded in exceeding your expectations and making you holiday a memorable one.

We hope you will return to Malta and we will have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Reviewed 7 January 2013

We have just spent a wonderful week at this Hotel.
This is the first time we have visited this particular Hotel but we have stayed in Malta many, many times. Our last visit was to the Hotel next door.
The Ramla Bay Resort is a very busy Hotel. There are always a lot of people coming and going.
We asked for and got a room on a high floor with an outstanding view accross the bay and out to Gozo. The Deluxe rooms are very large with huge balconies.
The room was always kept very clean and was nice and bright. One thing to mention. We didn't like the fact that there was no chain or safety catch on the bedroom door.
Several times we had someone rattle the door at night-time.
I have never before felt nervous in a Hotel room but this did make me feel uneasy.
We just thought someone had tried to open the wrong door the first time it happened.
The staff were always very welcoming in the bar. The bar was always very lively and a pleasure to visit. Most of the staff were very kind and helpful in the Dining Room buy there was a reluctance to re-lay tables when the previous people had finished their meal and we often had to trail around the dining room to try and locate a table. I do not like having to do this every evening. It became wearing.
Smaller tables were very difficult to find.
The food was excellent and we always found something we enjoyed.
We did have a few problems initially, getting our room serviced.
I made the mistake of covering up the bed with the cover on one occasion. I was just fed up of waiting until late afternoon to have the beds made. Of course our bed was not made even though it was obviously just roughly covered up. I prefer the rooms to be cleaned first thing in the morning but we were still waiting until at least 15.00 hrs each day until we spoke to the Manager on Duty to ask why we were always left until last ! We didn't realise we could request to have the room cleaned in the morning. This explained why the ones either side of us had always been cleaned early on. Unfortunately the cleaner then came knocking on the door the following day and was a bit 'off' with me when I apologised and said we were unable to leave just at that moment. This did annoy us slightly as staff need to appreciate that we want to be less hurried on holiday and certainly don't want to have to make our own beds on holiday.! We stay in hotels frequently and I do think guests should not be pestered by maids banging the hoover against the door to drop a heavy hint, or worse still knocking hard on the door to ask you to leave.
On a more positive note my request for extra blankets for the VERY hard bed was sorted out straight away and with a big 'smile' by another Housekeeper. The beds are terribly hard !
Now for the BAD part of what had been a GREAT holiday.
The car park is EXTREMELY busy and as we were staying over New Year we had to compete for a parking space with all the local Maltese guests who were visiting the Hotel for Dinner or Lunch each day. This meant we often had to park out on the rough ground outside the hotel.
This was a bit of an inconvenience but we understood the Hotel was busy. With hind sight I wish we had left the car out there permanently.
Unfortunately on our very last day we were parked in the Hotel car park and someone drove into the side of the Hire car we had hired for our weeks holiday. The damage was extensive and they had just driven off without owning up ! When my husband went to report this to the Manager he didn't offer any help or advice. He just said no one had reported seeing this happen. We do think he should have at least come to see the damage. We are now going to be faced with a very large repair bill for something that looks like 'malicious' damage. We think someone might even have taken the car joy riding and hit a wall. We do not believe that this could have happened without someone seeing or hearing this happen ! There were people sitting on their balconies every day. It has totally spoilt our holiday and perhaps it might highlight the fact that some sort of 'security camera is needed in this VERY busy car park. Anyone using this hotel car park in future BEWARE !
I don't think we will be visiting Malta or this Hotel again as this is NOT a good way to end your holiday.
To sum this Hotel up. Yes we had a great time but we did feel a few of the staff needed to realise they had jobs because we and of course all the other guests had chosen to stay at this hotel. A few more smiling faces are needed around the place. The attitude of some of the staff would stop us returning as would the reluctance to offer any assistance when our hire car was badly damaged.

Room Tip: Well worth upgrading for a Sea-View. The higher the room, the better the view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TizzyUk

Dear TizzyUk

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Ramla Bay Resort during your recent holiday in Malta. We are pleased to read that you had a fantastic holiday and would like to take the opportunity to clarify a few points.

Bedroom doors have an internal lock for extra security. CCTV cameras are installed in various spots around the Resort and Security Personnel are on duty 24/7 - at all times.

Room cleaning is from 0800hrs till 1600hrs. We do have timings to follow in order to be able to service daily, departures and arrivals. We however whenever anyone requests to have their room cleaned at a specific time, we do our best to accommodate.

Although our car park is private we are not responsible for any damages sustained, it still falls under the jurisdiction of the traffic regulation. We are disappointed to read that you claim that you were not given the advise call the local wardens or the police.
We have had no other reports of the sort and no reports of anyone taking any cars for joyrides. Should you wish to verify in more detail about this incident, please feel free to contact us on sales@ramlabayresort.com

We hope that you will return to Malta, and consider returning to our Resort based on your holiday being generally a ‘Great one’

Martin Farrugia Randon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
#2 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
db Seabank Resort + Spa
db Seabank Resort + Spa
#2 of 12 in Mellieha

Been to Ramla Bay Resort? Share your experiences!