“Return visit”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Hampshire
“Return visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

Third time here. Ideal for peace and quiet. Not for those seeking night life. Pools and beach lovely with plenty of sun beds. Clean rooms. Very much enjoyed the food. Traditional rabbit stew and local lampuki on the menu. Walked to the ferry and popped over to gozo. Ferry port right by the bus station, got the bus to Victoria (Rabat), really easy. Trips to Comino and the Blue Lagoon run from the hotel several times a day. Ramla is now looking a little tired. Main oval pool has decoration missing. Bathrooms have been patched up. Stains on curtains etc. Still love it here and will return, but this old friend is in need of some tlc.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ejhcjh
martinfrandon, Director of Sales at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear Ejhcjh,
What a pleasure hosting a repeat guest. Third time and thinking of returning is an honour for us. Thank you also for the constructive comments. All has been noted.
This winter we shall be doing some work on ‘this old friend’ may I add a faithful one also. One thing we can’t work on and improve is our location and outstanding views, these come free of charge as a God gift to this lovely island of ours.

Looking forward to your next stay

Regards

Martin Farrugia Randon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

This hotel is in a nice quiet location with bus links a 5 minute walk away. My overall impression of the hotel being good with the house keeping staff getting a five star rating. The bar staff and some of the restaurant staff were poor at best. Whenever we went to the bar the staff were usually pre occupied by the football that was being shown or demonstrating a couldn't care less attitude. Good hotel let down by its staff will not be returning which is a shame as the location was ideal.

Room Tip: Choose the sea view side of the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LaurenceClark
Dear Mr. CLARK,
Thank you for finding time to post your review. We are glad to note that you found our location and the Resort in general to your liking.
We very much regret your disappointment relating to some of our staff not giving you the service which is, at the end of day, expected. A word of advice, it would be a great help to report such shortages whilst in-house since corrective action can be taken at once on the spot.
We sincerely hope that this will not hinder you from returning to our Resort in the near future. Should you change your mind please do contact me on sales@ramlabayresort.com prior to your arrival

Mar Martin Farrugia Randon
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

Me and my girlfriend are just back from staying for 7 days at Ramla Bay. We booked the hotel independently through Travel Republic via Trivago. Had no problems dealing with Travel Republic and we received a reply from the hotel within 24 hours of me emailing them just to confirm our booking.

We arrived at 8.30pm having got a taxi from the airport which was a standard 35 Euro fare. Staff were welcoming upon checking in and we were impressed with the hotels surroundings and location. The hotel is a bit secluded in the north of the country, however we loved the location being next to the sea looking out onto Comino and Gozo. The hotel is also adjacent to the Riviera hotel and a lovely beach side bar which makes for a lovely village type feel.

Our room was spacious, very clean, excellent water pressure in our shower, ample room on the balcony, lots of storage space and air conditioning. The room also had a T.V and a fridge. There is also a safe available in the room. We were on the first floor so the balcony was level with the roof of the hotels food hall. We didn't mind as the view was still great for what we paid, but if you want a clear view, go for floor 2 and above.

We were bed and breakfast. The continental breakfast was brilliant with lots of choice and as much as you can eat. We also ate one night in the Alang Alang restaurant which was beautiful, next to the picturesque swimming pool and one floor up, providing great views across to Gozo.

Getting around Malta was no problem from the hotel. The hotel provided us with a simple bus time table. The bus stop is a 5 minute walk past the Riviera Hotel next to a very well lit roundabout. You can see the bus stop from the room. Buses that stop there will take you to all the main places of interest in Malta. Valletta is the furthest away and will take roughly an hour to get to by bus. St Julian's is about 40 minutes by bus. Previous reviews say that the hotel is too secluded and that there is not much to do in the evening. The hotel is a bit out of the way, but this makes it more appealing for the relaxing, beautiful and tranquil location. Then in the evening the bus will take you into any town, where there is plenty to do as we explored and dined in different towns every night. The bus service runs into the early hours so if you want to party or have a few drinks there is a way back and these buses are less busy so take less time too.

The hotel has three pools, with the top pool being quieter and more geared towards the adults and gentle swimming. There are lots of sun beds, and the hotel has incorporated pathways and landings into the actual rock of the bay where sunbeds are also located making it a unique experience to sunbathe and then take a dip into the sea. The resort also has a private sandy beach with plenty sun beds there.

There is a shop in the hotel stocked with any necessities you may have forgotten. There is entertainment every night in the bar which has a friendly, lively environment. We also booked two excursions with the "Blue Waves" water sports centre based next to the beach of the hotel. I recommend the speed boat trip around the caves of Comino, it was excellent fun.

Only downsides were, the toilet didn't flush on arrival. This was fixed within 10 minutes. The T.V was quite old but not really an issue. Although we booked a double bed, it was two singles pushed together. There is no free wi fi, you have to pay at a paypoint, also there is no cash machine, so you will have to pop into Mellieha to take cash out. All these minor issues did not in any way spoil our visit.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again if I were to go back to Malta, and will be highly recommending this hotel again to any family or friends who plan to visit Malta.

Room Tip: Get a room facing out towards the actual bay itself for the best views and go for the 2nd floor and...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Stuart B
Dear Stuart B,

Thank you for your very positive review and for choosing Malta and our Resort for your recent stay.
We are glad to note that you have enjoyed your stay to the max and by the looks of it you have been around the island quite a bit.
We very much regret, in case this was not pointed out to you during your stay, that we do have a Free WIFI Hot Spot next to the lobby bar. All your other comments have been noted.
Your recommendation is very much appreciated since we sincerely believe that first hand experience is by far the best kind of advertising.

Thank you once again and look forward to host you again in the near Future

Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Went there a few years ago. Lovely hotel plenty of sun loungers and space. Food was
lovely and the rooms were very clean. The hotel is out of the way a little so not much to do
in the evening if you like a stroll. Not far from the ferry terminal that takes ferries to the
island of Gozo.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Lorna M
martinfrandon, Manager at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear Lorna M

Thank you for posting this review. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay and that even though you were here a few years ago, you still have nice things to say about the Ramla Bay Resort.
We hope that you will be returning to Malta and that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again

Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

I booked a single superior room (not to be confused with a Deluxe room as stated on the hotels website, don't know why there is a difference in description when booking through an agent?) with panoramic sea view but was given a large twin bed room with good sized balcony on the third floor overlooking the beach, with great views to Gozo and Comino. As it turned out all the rooms have either a balcony or terrace but some have land views and are smaller. Either way the views are good as the area is not as built up as other areas such as Bugibba, St Paul's bay, St Julian's etc.
ACCOMMODATION: The room was large with a table and chairs inside as well as on the balcony. It was cleaned and tidied daily and the tea and coffee was replenished daily too. The shower water pressure was great too. Storage was good with a large built in wardrobe and drawers. Facilities were sufficient with a hair dryer, fridge (minibar stocked once for free which included a fair amount of drinks, too be specific - 2 x cans of coke, 1 x can of Sprite, a small bottle of red and white wine, a large can of lager, a large bottle of water and 2 further bottles of water, half litre size and 2 x small cartons of orange juice) and Safe, charged at 2.50 euros per day.
Although there was satellite tv it only had one english channel with old episodes of Dads Army, Eastenders etc, so download some films if you want more choice. Don't try downloading films via their free wifi as it was beyond slow, 100mb took 20 minutes on a good day!
On a downside, there were signs of wear and tear in as much as the curtain lining was torn in places and the carpet in the spacious halls was a bit grubby/tired. The communal halls were a bit utilitarian, no pictures or decoration but overall ok as its not that important but could be made to look a lot better with just a little change.
One criticism would be the pillows, which were a bit flimsy and foam filled and could do with a wash as they smelt rather stale. On a plus, the linen and mattress were clean and the mattress was quite firm which suited me well.
STAFF: The female reception staff were friendly and helpful, even at 1am when I asked for a Safe key. They were very efficient at organising trips and tickets and giving all the information you could ask for. The same could not be said of the male night receptionist on 5th/6th September 2013 on duty when I checked out, who was surly and monosyllabic, with all the personality of a breeze block.
FOOD: Breakfast was fine with all the usuals; bacon, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, fruit, cereal and cheese and meats etc. I didn't have any other meals at the hotel, as I ate when out and about, so can't comment on the restaurants on offer, but I heard that they were good from other guests.
TRANSPORT: The area is great for trips to Gozo (which is beautiful and worth a visit) as the ferry is only a 20 minute walk from the hotel and bus transfers to the open top tour bus (for Malta & Gozo) can be arranged with a quick phone call from reception, as I found out on my first day. The number 41 bus takes about an hour to Valletta (a 5 minute walk from the hotel) and the tour bus about 2 + hours as it stops so much en route, but you get more information and see more on the tour. If you can't stand the bus, a taxi is anything from 30-35 euros each way to Valletta and takes about 40 minutes. There is always car hire as the driving is no worse than Bristol at rush hour (in my opinion) and at least driving is the same side as in the UK. Oh yes, and electric sockets are 3 pin so don't pack an adaptor.
SUMMARY: If you are looking for a grown up chill out resort with private beach and a rugged coastline, you have chosen the right one. If you want a bit more life, laughter and personality, choose one of the aforementioned resorts.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Sue B
Dear Sue B,

Thank you for your very descriptive write-up, and most of all thank you for choosing our Resort.
We have taken note of all your positive constructive comments as well as items that need more attention from our end.
Hope to have the pleasure to host you once again in the near future,

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

My partner and I stayed here for one week in August 2013 having decided to stay bed and breakfast. Prior to booking we researched the hotel thoroughly on this website amongst others and were not put off by some of the more negative reviews. We arrived at the hotel around 11am, my initial view was of the front of the hotel which looks pleasant enough, however the immediate location around the site is in need of some major TLC and does not really reflect the standing of a four star hotel.

I understand that while this may be beyond their control (they may not own it), it should be understood that first impressions really do count. On checking in we were informed that our room would not be available until 2pm and that should we like to leave our bags "in the designated area we could collect them later." Perish the thought they could be taken up to the room while we waited. The Maltese receptionist casually informed us, with the inflection of a person well versed in the soft-sell, that should we not be pleased with our room an upgrade could be arranged at ten Euro's a night surcharge. I immediately thought "strange, we paid extra for a sea view; why would we need an upgrade?" I started to get a funny feeling we were about to get a shock.

Three hours later, having begun our holiday without the offer of complimentary drinks while we waited (granted we were not all inclusive but this is "four star" we're talking about!) and a very uncertain feeling about the quality of our room in the pit of my stomach I collected the card from reception............. and stood in the lobby. No one showed us to the room through the labyrinthine corridors or offered to help with our luggage. Twenty minutes later, having navigated one way then the next up what can only be described as a lacklustre elevator we arrived at our room. On the left of the corridor were even number rooms, to the right, the odds. I opened the door and was confronted with nothing short of my grandmothers living room straight from 1986, complete with miniscule cathode ray television. The view was breathtakingly spectacular; a stunning vista of the staff car park. To say I spat the dummy was an understatement in the extreme. I trudged back down to the reception and spoke to the same receptionist who had checked us in who asked with a somewhat knowing smile if I had "come to upgrade my room?". I informed her that no, I had not, however I would very much like it if I could be moved to a room more befitting the much lauded "sea view" we had paid for. She then launched into a very well rehearsed lecture on how I was very much mistaken and I could in fact see the sea from my room. I found this disgusting and informed her pleasantly that it was a view of the staff car park and as such I required the manager to move us to a room with an even number at the earliest opportunity. She promptly went to the back of the reception area, mere feet from where are discussion was taking place and apparently spoke to the manager who was out of sight in an alcove. She returned to deliver the wonderful news that no rooms of that description were available; I again told her this was unacceptable and she shuttled back to the manager to inform him of this. This dance was performed four times in total before the still invisible manager condescended to move us the following day.

I would have expected that after a customer complaint being handled that rudely and indifferently, the easiest and most common sense thing they could have done was to move us to one of the rooms on a floor above free of charge (remember the ones they told us about on check-in? Before we'd even seen our room? It would have cost the hotel 70 EUR to make amends and prevent any further reputational damage). After a restless and apprehensive night we went town to reception and were given our new key card by a very friendly and easy going Maltese girl and to our relief the room was beautiful.

The rest of the holiday passed without further problems although I have to admit (and it has been raised in numerous reviews on here) that they need to stop interrogating their guests whenever they dare to venture to the beach area; guys, if someone has gone to the most northern point of Malta to use your tiny beach, Christ, they deserve a medal. It is very unlikely they are not staying with you. Be under no illusion; the hotel was very clean and the facilities very nice while the location is breath taking, secluded and well connected to the other islands and the rest of Malta to the south and as such cannot be faulted. While we did not eat any other meals than breakfast (which offered the full range, although this full range of breakfasts remained depressingly samey through the week), the food served for lunch and dinner appeared fairly uninspiring and I would advise making use of Malta's myriad fantastic restaurants in which we did not have a single bad meal!

Overall I expected far more than was delivered by this hotel and the service was at a level far more suited to a three star for the price. Look elsewhere to avoid disappointment.

Room Tip: Insist on an even numbered room for a sea view worthy of the name!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Rich L
Dear Rich L,

Thank you for choosing our Island and the Ramla Bay Resort for your recent stay.

Check-in is at 14.00 hrs, for security reasons unless we are instructed by the guests, we do not deliver luggages in a room which technically is still unoccupied.

We have several room types starting from the standard room type to our flag-ship Junior Suites. At check-in stage we advise guests of any in-house room upgrade offers going on at the time.
We apologise if this information was transmitted in such a way that made it feel as there is a catch since it is not our scope to mislead our valued guests who have chosen us as their Resort.

Since the Resort’s footprint is of 28000 sq. meters and has several entrances, for security reasons, we do check that anybody using our facilities are in fact Resort residents and are authorised to roam on our property. Rest assured that if we should take your advice of ’giving a medal to anybody who ventures ...’ we would hand out quite a number of them, you would be surprised.

We are glad to note that your enjoyed your stay and our island and hope to have the pleasure of hosting you once again.

Traun, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Nice Hotel situated in a quite calm bay with another 4* hotel on the opposite. Reception friendly. Room was big - not too comfortable but okay. Big choice at the breakfast buffet - except coffee was terrible. Pool Bar has sensational food - cocktails they cant mix in the whole hotel - same same but always different. Dinner in the Alang-Alang restaurant with view over the bay was great - book at 19:00 with sunset!! (August) - service all over not too . Sun beds all over - small sand beach with clear water and sand in the water also, scuba station in the hotel. Make the travel around comino & blue lagoon - we had fun. Also the hotel on the opposite (Riviera) had very good quality in food but better service. Bus trips to Valletta take nearly 80 minutes. All together a very good package.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Degas61

Thank you for choosing Malta and our Resort for your recent holiday. We are pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay which was complimented by a lovely dinner at the Alang Alang, the clear waters and the trip to Comino and the Blue Lagoon.

We hope you will return to our islands, and we will have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Martin Farrugia Randon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Dolmen Resort Hotel
Dolmen Resort Hotel
#2 of 15 in St. Paul's Bay
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,615 reviews

Been to Ramla Bay Resort? Share your experiences!