“Loved it and can't wait to go back”
Review of Ramla Bay Resort

Ramla Bay Resort
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed 27 February 2011

I went to Malta with my mum (I'm 21) And we went for a relaxing time, we booked all inclusive. Firstly the hotel is really remote, so there isn't really anywhere to walk in the evenings. But during the day time there is a bus stop near by, and the buses there will take you into Valetta. The walk to the bus stop is uphill, and it isn't a long walk.

The best thing about this hotel is the private beach. It is small, but we always managed to get a sun bed. The sea is really shallow and you can walk out quite far, while I was there, there were quite a few people who got stung by jellyfish. By the beach there is a "bar" This is just a teeny little hut (room for one member of staff in it) But you can get your drinks from there, or you can walk up to the pool area bar.

There was one day when the beach was "littered" but that was because during the night the sea had been a bit ruff, due to the wind. But most of the "litter" I mentioned was piles and piles of seaweed. And the hotel staff were shoveling it all up. And got it cleared pretty quickly.

I didn't go into the pool at all during my 2 week stay, nor did I sit by the pool. I love the sea and sand a lot more. And I also found the pool area a tad noisy, as there were a group of student travelers, as well as families with younger children.

When I booked with Mercury Direct, I also got a free boat trip to Blue Lagoon. The hotel have their own boat, which is fairly big. The staff are really nice and always lend a hand when getting on and off the boats. The ride over was enjoyable, just make sure you wear your swimsuit, you might get a little bit wet on the boat. And at Blue Lagoon there is a nice beach area, but this was quite crowded. So me and my mum took a walk along a sand path, and explored the area.

The restaurant was always really clean, I don't ever remember queuing up to get a table but I am an early bird. There was always a lot of choice at breakfast: hot foods, as well as cold meat. And then there were loads of bread and rolls and also fruit. I'm not a big breakfast person, so I would have toast and jam with a glass of orange juice.

Lunch again was really nice, there were lots of things to choose from. I would have liked to see chips, but I found that when the student travelers were lunch there, then there would be chips.

At dinner there would be a different soup each day, and then the main meal, and then a selection of cakes and deserts.

One thing I found that the food didn't have enough (if any) salt on it. So I was always shaking salt into everything.

We were meant to be booked into a hotel room, but when we arrived during the night they put us into an apartment. We commented on this straight away and the night staff said it would be sorted out in the morning. And we were told that we could move into a hotel room but we decided to just stay in the apartment, as we liked it and also all our things were already scattered all over the place.
The apartment had a double bed, and then two sofa/pull out beds. Dining table and chairs (not that we needed it) And then the kitchen area which had the oven, fridge, sink, kettle and all sorts of cutlery. And when we opened our patio doors we had a seating area that had sun beds, chairs, table and even a bbq.

The maid came in every day. She use to come in quite late in the day, but the room was always cleaned. Towels were replaced, and any clothes on the bed were folded (Useful cheeky tip for when you want your packing done lol)

The beds were really soft and comfy, I did ask for an extra pillow, as I don't like it too flat.
The TV was small but watchable, if you wanted to do so. The hair drier; as with most hotels, wasn't that powerful.

The reception staff were really friendly, and always helped with directions and bus numbers/routes.

If going to Malta, I would suggest using the buses. No they don't have any sort of timetable. But they are fast and get you to your destination. And from Ramla Bay we traveled to the other end of the Island to: Marsaxlokk which is a small fishing village and by bus it took 2 hours. I think we also went on Market day, so there were loads of stalls.

Our trip to Gozo was lovely, the hotel isn't that far from the Ferry Port. If going by yourselves, I would think you would need a car. As Gozo only has like one bus, but Gozo is a very beautiful place.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to a family with young children, as I don't think there is much for them to do. And the evening entertainment (music wise) is aimed at older people. But it is a good laugh!
There is a "show" put on by the younger members of staff, that takes place outside, but this was.. cringe worthy, and you have to sit on hard rock seats. So I opted to stay indoors

All in all the hotel is a lovely place, and ideal for someone looking to get away from it all. And this hotel would be a good base if you want to travel the island.
Oh, I forgot to say that at the bar (for all inclusive guests) we had to sign for our drinks all the time. Which was a bit annoying, and you get to wear those lovely coloured wrist bands :P

• Stayed: July 2010
4  Thank carolinee88
martinfrandon, Director of Sales at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Ramla Bay Resort for you last visit to Malta.

We are pleased to note that you have enjoyed your stay and have taken note of your comments.

Since your comments are public we would like to clarify that the ‘litter’ you mentioned on the beach were seaweeds swept ashore by the rough sea of the previous day.
Readers might misunderstand you, and could associate ‘Litter’ with lack of cleanliness, which was not the case.

Looking forward to welcoming you once again to our Resort. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require assistance.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,099)

Reviewed 1 February 2011

This hotel can boast it's own sandy beach (small though), two swimming pools (one indoor and one outdoor). Great staff - very helpful and professional. Enjoyed the service a lot! Facilities are in good condition, you can get most of what you need for your holiday at the hotel. Rooms are decent and pleasant to stay at. Breakfast is good. Bus stop is 5 mins from the hotel. We were upgraded to the better room with panoramic view and a bottle of wine with fruits were waiting for us.

There is also big public sandy beach in nearby Mellieha village, which is two stops by bus or about 20 mins by foot.

But be ready that the bar closes at 11-11.30pm with no other options around; if you plan to explore Malta using public transportation - that can be time consuming and last bus leaves to the hotel at 6-9pm. There's also scarce for restaurants and cafes- this corner of the island seems to be not quite touristy.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mauved_mauved
Reviewed 26 October 2010

Excellent seaside location, beautiful seaviews but no walks nearby or shops... Pools were great; bit salty but probably better than heavily chlorinated water. Most of the foreign staff were stressed out and were unable to give the service with a "smile" however two of polish waitress was very nice and always smiling, so you could choose which part of restaurant were working and sit there. The quality of food good, room ok. All in all we had a great time & would go back.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 October 2010

Good spacious hotel , limited food choices ( especially after 6 in the evening ) . Outdoor pool far too cold for kids . ( October ) Staff very friendly and helpful . Service good . Internet ridiculously expensive and no service in room . Nice for swimming and snorkelling .
Kids liked the indoor pool as the outdoor one was unbearably cold .

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank Gleec0
Reviewed 19 October 2010

Hotel located to the ferry to Gozo. To get to the attractions far, about an hour by bus to Valletta or taxi (33 euros). For excursions to Malta uncomfortable. Can be regarded only as a beach holiday. Own beach, the sand, but very small, about 30 meters. The hotel has 2 swimming pools, spa area, cafe (open only to 15-00), restaurant (need to order dinner in advance). At the bar each evening animation, pretty good. Beach towels for the money. Constant strong and very annoying noise during the day – I understand that of the pump for the pool. In the lobby there is a computer and a zone of wi-fi – a expensive. Rooms are large, modern, nice design, nice furniture. Bathroom large and clean - nice. Are cleaned every day, wash well, linen and towels changed every other day, gel and soap sometimes forget to put. In the room there is no iron and ironing board - is inconvenient. No separate air-conditioner, a common system of air conditioning - very noisy, can not sleep! View from the window is not impressive - a cafe and a small piece of the sea, the trees close sea. Balcony spacious, but without a roof. Breakfast is not delicious - a great choice, but all burnt, sausage and hot dogs, artificial and completely inedible, the juice diluted with more than half. Take the full board did not recommend it. The beach has a cafe - very tasty cooked. Walk from the hotel boat to Comino, only 8 euros. Staff friendly. I did not like the hotel, I chose it for a beach holiday, but the constant annoying noise from the pump and the air conditioner, poor breakfast - it's very spoiled holiday.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ineksis
Reviewed 19 October 2010

My husband and I have really enjoyed staying at the Ramla Bay Resort for the second time. We spent 3 nights (Thurs 14th – Sun 17th Oct, 2010) there and had such an amazing time.

We booked a panoramic seaview on half board basis and it was very good value for money. The room was on the 3rd floor, it was very nice, comfortable, modern and very clean.

The hotel is beautiful, it has a wonderful garden, 2 fantastic outdoor pools , a fabulous indoor pool and its own small sandy beach. It is in a very quiet location, ‘away from it all’, no traffic jams, no pollution and no shopping centres although there is a mini-market in the hotel.

The hotel staff are very polite, friendly and professional. This also includes ‘Marco’ the animator who is fantastic, funny, polite and very entertaining.

The food which was ‘buffet-style’ was delicious and there was always plenty of choice. The cakes were mouth-watering.

Many thanks to all at ‘Ramla Bay Resort’. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TaboneForte
Reviewed 8 October 2010

First time at this resort and can do nothing but praise it, staff friendly and helpful, rooms clean, towels changed daily and bedding several times during the stay. All rooms have a balcony. Plenty of food, in fact too much choice, buffet style all meals, never saw anything run out. Some steak and fish grilled in front of you. The desserts were exceptionally good. Wine very reasonable at around 6 euros a litre. Different entertainment each night. Local bus service very regular and only a five minute walk away from the rear of the hotel, you can hire a car from reception but there is really no need as the buses go everywhere. The swimming pools were clean and everywhere was kept neat and tidy by hotel staff. Will go again next year, its a really good place to relax and unwind.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mum372
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
#2 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
Salini Resort
Salini Resort
#1 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Ramla Bay Resort? Share your experiences!