“Best ever holidays...”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Arklow, Ireland
“Best ever holidays...”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Hotel was nice, clean and good location, overlooking the sea and the Gozo island. Our room was on the 4th. floor with sea view, just air con. was very noisy till 11.30pm. on the roof. If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing holiday then this place for you.

Room Tip: No room on the 4th. floor. 3th floor will be ok.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Inga K
Brian O, Manager at LABRANDA Riviera Premium Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Inga K.

Thank you for your short and sweet review of Riviera Resort & Spa and I will try to keep my reply the same. I am happy to read that you found the Resort to be exactly as you expected and you experienced your “ best holiday ever”.
Thank you for your remarks on the air conditioning unit as it has given me the opportunity to clarify the point you have made that it was a little noisy. The specific unit you have correctly mentioned was on until 23.30pm. The timings of this unit have now been adjusted to switch off at 20.00 and does not affect our cooling system.
Over all I can see you had quiet relaxing holiday .

Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back once again.

Best Regards .
Resort Operations Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
notts
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We arrived home yesterday after 11 nights at this hotel.It is in a very good location very handy for buses and ferries to Gozo.
We asked for quiet room double bed , and non smoking which we got and was well furnished however it is the first hotel where we have had to give a deposit to use a remote control for the television!!! and as we were all inclusive we felt the cost of the safe was very high at most hotels on all inclusive you do not have to pay.
The lobby bar was very attractive and we were looked after very well by Karen who is a real asset to the hotel and we enjoyed the views across to Comino and Gozo with fabulous sunsets.
Whilst I agree with other comments that the food was good the standard of hygiene in the restaurant was poor there should in any buffet restaurant be antiseptic hand gel available as you enter not everyone washes their hands after using toilet!!
On the last morning as I was waiting for the pancakes to be brought out the scrambled eggs were refilled as there was only a small amount left this normally means that this is taken away however the new was poured into it and mixed up!! this is stomach upsets waiting to happen as any bacteria from original was mixed into fresh this could have been done several times .On no occasion during our stay did I see restaurant manager checking food was ok.
The evening dinner in a 4star hotel should be a little bit special however it was more like a motorway service station and as there was no dress code some guests were at dinner in the swimshorts that they had worn by the pool!!
I am sorry to be negative about this as with a few changes this hotel could be perfect for us as we enjoyed Malta and would like to visit again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank happywanderersNotts
Dear happywanderersN.

Thank you for your review of Riviera Resort & Spa on the eleven nights you have stayed with us.. I am happy to read that you found the Resort to be in a “very good location and very handy for the buses”. It’s also great to read that your number of extra requests regarding your room were met by our reservations department to enable you to enjoy your holiday to the full.
The wonderful views of the cliffs of Comino and Gozo are regularly commented upon favourably whilst guests are having a drink, more so during sunset time in the lobby bar.
Your positive comments on our food will be passed on to the chef and his team.
Your personal opinion on a hygiene procedure of introducing antiseptic hand gel at the restaurant door will be kept in mind and I totally agree with you that guests should be washing their hands in the bathrooms where this gel is already provided and checked hourly by our housekeeping staff throughout the Resort.
All food that comes out on the buffet along with food that is on the buffet is regularly checked for the correct holding and serving temperature and to put your mind at rest moves very quickly with many guests to feed in such a short period of time. Your point has also been passed on to the chef for his consideration.
As you would have seen we do have quite a number of persons for Breakfast , Lunch and Dinner on a daily a basis. As you correctly pointed out some guests mostly of the younger generation tend to stay in the resort mode of Sun, Sea, Sand, and Pools and take less notice of the dress attire during meal times.
Over all I can see you had nice stay and It’s great to read that you would like to return to Malta and the Riviera Resort & Spa for that next perfect Holiday.

Once again thank you for your feedback.

Best Regards .

Brian O’ Connor

Reviewed 14 June 2014

This hotel is situated in a beautiful position, but is isolated, nowhere to stroll to, no shops to browse no different bars to try other than the several in the hotel, and perhaps the only other hotel nearby. you need to take a taxi or bus [bus only 1.5 euros for day] to the nearest resort of Mellieha. The hotel is large and spacious well kept hotel with friendly and efficient staff. The main lobby bar which has only 12 tables and the comfortable lounge which also short on seating which leads out onto the large pool area which is raised overlooking the sea with plenty of sunbeds and shady areas.
Our hotel room was on the 4th floor with a side sea view, was large but needed more storage. We found if you style your hair - take a hairdryer. The air con was only switched on at certain times mainly after 4pm. Please read the information sheet left in room as the services offered in the hotel are not advertised around hotel, Wi-Fi is available but found could not access Facebook.
Meals in the main self service restaurant were lacking variation and choice, but you would not go hungry. There is also a Pizza restaurant named Melanzane Trattotia which is included in All inc which is a modern and stylish where your pizza is cooked to order. Also The Sole e Mar Bistro which is the a la carte where All inc receive 25% off. Entertainment is the usual daytime activities, the evening is 4nights with guest entertainer who plays the organ while sings the full range of music, other nights the animation team hold a disco. This is held in the Bar/pub/disco on the lower floor which holds approx. 70 to 80 seats with small dance floor. There is also a games room in the basement. The Spa has 1 steam room & sauna also a dance studio and workout room, A swimming pool and large and small Jacuzzi in a roman style setting. Treatments where of reasonable prices
We had a good holiday but would not go back as too isolated even though in a good position overlooking sea and the island of Gozo.

Room Tip: Take hairdryer. if you like nightlife DO NOT go to this hotel. it is for people to zone out or jus...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank travelfriends13
Brian O, Manager at LABRANDA Riviera Premium Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear travelfriends 13.
Thank you for sharing your detailed opinion of Riviera Resort & Spa. I’m happy to read you had a nice stay. Thank you for your comments on our "beautiful position". I understand that the location was a little out of the way for you from the shops , bars and other night life.
It’s great to read that you found the staff to be warm and friendly and all facilities we had to offer met your expectations. It seems like you spent a lot of time in the resort and got to know all our outlets in great detail, thank you for the figures you have mentioned during your stock take of the furniture in the various outlets. It seems you like numbers a lot and take great care while counting. Full marks to you on your numerical analysis.
Air conditioning times have now been adjusted to suit all guests needs as temperatures have risen and will continue as mid-summer is just around the Corner.
I would like to thank you for sharing your opinion and its great you had a “good holiday overall” considering the pro sand cons you have mentioned. Your feedback on the cleanliness and Spa facilities are appreciated and I am happy to read that you found our prices reasonable for the large the selection of treatments we have available.
Our location in the north is appreciated for the peace, quiet , relaxation along with the proximity to the blue mediterranean sea all along with the fact that we are a little remote also.
I wish you a good return trip to Malta in the future and would like to let you know that you are always very welcome to call into the Riviera Resort & Spa.

Thanks again for your review, until next time.

Best Regards.

Resort Operations Manager
teesside
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed here from 25th May for 7 nights. The hotel is situated at the top of the island & was approximately 45 minutes from the airport. It is a lovely quiet spot with 1 other hotel in the bay overlooking Gozo & Comino. We had requested a top floor room which was on the 4th floor & very quiet, we had views of the bay & the countryside at the back of the hotel, we got the sun first thing until about 4pm. The rooms were kept spotless & we had clean towels every day. The safe is 3.50 euros per day. You can hire beach towels for a 5 euro deposit which you get back when you return them, also if you need to change your towels it only costs 50 cents per towel. We only ate in the buffet restaurant as the food was so good. We always managed to have a choice of table at the 8pm sitting. In the restaurant wine, water, soft drinks & beer are available on tap to help yourself. Michael, Gabor & Dragan always looked after us with a smile! The entertainment team were very good, Alex & Adrian were very friendly & even though we never joined in as we were happy to just read our books & relax they always had time for a chat & didn't try to push you into joining in. We had a late flight home & were able to get showered & changed in the Spa changing rooms. Had our room been available the rates were very reasonable to keep the room a few hours extra. The guests are predominantly German, but we found them all (but 1 couple) extremely friendly & they didn't reserve beds at silly times! If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing holiday then this is the place for you & we would definitely return (but for 2 weeks next time!). Feel free to ask any questions.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room, they are quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank marachele
Dear marachele
Thank you for sharing your opinion “ wonderful relaxing Stay” with fellow trip advisor reviewers along with the staff and management of Riviera Resort & Spa. I’m happy to read you had a great Vacation. I’m glad our reservation department managed to allocated you the specific room you had requested, quiet and on the 4th Floor. These extra requests and wishes are on some occasions not possible to meet because of high occupancy for all guests but we do our utmost to meet them as you have experienced.
It’s also great to read that you found all the facilities as you had expected and found members of the staff, Maltese along with our summer foreign workers to be friendly and always with a smile. These points will surely be passed on to all concerned and will be greatly appreciated.
I would like to thank you for your positive feedback regarding our Food and Beverage outlets and I can see you were totally satisfied with the Mirosol restaurant which is one of the four outlets available in the evening to choose from for dining. Your mention of the animation team is also appreciated and I see that you have got to know them well also.
Our location in the north is appreciated for the peace, quiet and relaxation as you pointed out and I can see that your review and the information you have passed on is already receiving help votes. This does help others plan the type of vacation they have in mind and choose the best location.
Recommending the resort to friends is appreciated and we all look forward to your return to your quiet room on the 4th floor and to be given the opportunity to welcome you back once again for two weeks next time.

Best Regards.
Resort Operations Manager
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Firstly, I`ll get my `moan` out of the way.........this was not the hotel or resort that I`d originally booked into, this was to have been the `San Antonio Hotel & Spa` in Qawra, but due to fact that this hotel was undergoing a massive reconstruction phase, and what can only be described as `incompetence` by the travel agents back in Britain who I`d booked with, I finished up in the Riviera as an `upgrade`.............bearing in mind that this was `the `wrong resort`, coupled with the `wrong hotel` I had good reason to be disappointed, but on arrival, the welcome I received allayed all my misgivings immediately..........a very friendly and professional setup indeed. The room I was allocated had a `Southern Aspect`...........overlooking the countryside ( very relaxing indeed ), and was extremely spacious. As this was`South facing`, you get the added bonus of having the sun on the balcony in the morning, and in the afternoon, it has the added benefit of being `shaded` from what can be best described as `rather warm` conditions.............all in all.....I couldn`t have picked a better situation if I`d tried.
Now.....`The Food`...............I honestly don`t know how they managed it, but every meal I had was of the highest quality ( without fail ), and there`s enough choice available to satisfy even the pickiest gourmets among us, so my heartiest congratulations to the Chefs, who in the main, go `unsung` .
`The Room`.............As I said earlier, the room was very spacious, but I must take this opportunity to thank the cleaning staff...........without fail they ( somehow ) managed to be not only extremely efficient....but they managed to be extremely cheerful and courteous at all times....nothing appeared to phase them...........a `first` for any hotel that I`ve ever stayed in.
`The Entertainment`...........You would think that being in the `most out of the way` area it is possible to find on Malta, that there wouldn`t be all that much to keep you occupied.......`wrong` on all counts.................a very efficient bus service just down the road ( a one minute stroll up to the roundabout )...........the Gozo ferry a ten minute walk away.............and if you prefer ( as I did ) to stay within the confines of the hotel...........plenty on offer from what can best be described as ` The Best Animation Staff` it is possible to lay your hands on...........you`d have to be dead from the neck up not to find this enthusiastic crew keeping you entertained `all day... every day`..........So my heartfelt thanks to Adrian , Alex, and the rest of the crew for stopping me slipping into the Doldrums...........A `Five Star` rating to `em.
So........I`m now back in `Dear Old Blighty`...........pondering what I can only describe as one of the best hotels I`ve ever had the pleasure to stay at..............and I can only `heartedly recommend` that if you are considering being pampered..........book into the Riviera..............you won`t be disappointed...............I look forward to ( probably ) next year, when I will definitely be staying there again.............`See Ya Soon..........

Room Tip: Book a south facing room for `morning sun`
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
11 Thank David C
Brian O, Manager at LABRANDA Riviera Premium Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear David C
Thank you for sharing your “Happy accident” “ interesting title” with fellow trip advisor reviewers along with the staff and management of Riviera Resort & Spa. It’s great to read you found Riviera Resort & Spa to be exactly what you had wanted and we were able to meet all your wishes.
I have read that the Inland room also pleased you and you enjoyed the sun for most of the day. Chef Daniel and his brigade will be pleased when I will sing the praises you have mentioned on the fare he has to offer in our Buffet restaurant. As you correctly pointed their work effort and commitment do very often in the main go unsung.
Your positive comments on the housekeeping department will be greatly appreciated by the staff concerned. Friendly and obliging staff do make a difference to enhance our guests overall experiences whilst on vacation and all departments seem to have pleased you thoroughly.
The animation team are a great bunch and I am glad you appreciated the contribution they have made to make your stay more enjoyable. Alex and Adrian are still going strong and keeping all guests on their toes with the many activities they carry out daily.
I am happy to see that you returned home safely to good “Old Blighty” completely satisfied and cannot wait to return to Riviera Resort and Spa for your second holiday. As the saying goes “Something good always comes out of something Bad” . David C has found a new resort, we have received full marks for our hospitality, and have been given the opportunity to welcome you back once again in the near future.
“See ya soon” and all the best for now

Brian O’ Connor .

Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This is a pleasant and clean friendly hotel, Located on the outskirts Melliah close to the ferry terminal to Gozo. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful which is always a plus. The pool area is well kept as is the indoor pool and Jacuzzi.
This hotel looks out over the sea to the Islands of Comino and Gozo and makes a very nice back drop when sitting on your balcony in the evening sun enjoying a cool glass of your favourite tipple.

Room Tip: insist on a room at the front of the hotel as most of the back rooms look out over farm land
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Chris O
Dear Chris O
Thank you for choosing Riviera Resort & Spa for your recent holiday and for sharing your 24th review. It is great to learn that you enjoyed your stay and got the most out of our Indoor and outdoor pool areas and they have met your expectations. I am also pleased to read that you enjoyed the location and enjoyed the peace, quiet and tranquillity .Watching the sun set right outside our front door on the Horizon is a special moment .So many guests are always so excited for that special romantic moment of the day when the Sun sets on the Horizon.
Your mention on the friendly, helpful staff are greatly appreciated and your feedback will be passed to all members that do work hard to make your stay more pleasurable.
I hope you had a pleasant journey back home and we look more than forward to welcoming you back to Riviera Resort & Spa for more quietness and friendly service along with many more sunsets and to enjoy your favourite tipple .

Once again thank you for your feedback and I have noticed you have received plenty of helpful votes from fellow reviewers.

Best Regards and all the best for now.

Brian O’ Connor
swindon
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Just returned after a week spent at Riviera Resort with friends, like a lot of the other comments the rooms and Hotel are clean.
The food was good and varied and was always hot.
There is nothing to do in the area, so if you want a relaxing holiday this is the place to go, if you want to go out and about the buses are very good and cheap.Trip over to Gozo was well worth it as well. If you are getting a bus instead of queuing at the bus stop by the roundabout walk one stop back towards the ferry terminal (only about 50 yards extra to walk), as there were never any queues and you are almost certain to get a seat.
We had a problem with the pool barman who for some reason after having already served us with 4 drinks and 1 coffee, advised us that if we ordered 4 drinks and a coffee again he would refuse to serve us, so we told him we would go up individually the next time, we never had this problem with any of the other bar staff.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank phil m
Brian O, Manager at LABRANDA Riviera Premium Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear phil m

It’s great to read you had a relaxing holiday during your weeks stay at Riviera Resort and Spa and you are now home safely in Swindon Town.
Our All Inclusive package seems to have ticked all the boxes for you and left you completely satisfied apart from the inconvenience you experienced with the bar man regarding the quantity of beverages you requested. Thank you for pointing out this matter and it has been discussed with the food and beverage manager to make sure that the operational procedures are clear and consistent throughout the bars.
I am sure your transport tips on the Busses will be appreciated by other readers and it looks like you got to know the system well. As the bus stop is only 200 meters away our guests do find it quite convenient to get around the Island .It’s good to read your visit to Gozo was also pleasing .
Thank you for taking the time and for sharing your views . It would be nice to have you back once again in the near future .
All the best for now.
Brian O’Connor.

Resort Operations Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
#2 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
Pergola Hotel & Spa
Pergola Hotel & Spa
#5 of 12 in Mellieha

Been to LABRANDA Riviera Premium Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!