“Seabank hotel ****”

db Seabank Resort + Spa
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I can't believe my eyes what other people write on Tripadvisor. You always find the good comments, but the BAD comments which ISN'T TRUE!!!! I know for sure after 10 years!!!!!
The Seabank All-Inclusive Resort is the pearl of the Mediterranean! You find all in one complete resort. Why? After 10 years, we decided always come back to "the proud of Malta..." The Seabank hotel carries **** stars. They realy work very hard to keep everthing super for their guests. I CAN'T BELIEVE THE BAD COMMENTS, THEY'RE NOT TRUE!!!!! The people who complain are never satisfied anywhere!!!! Don't worry it's the newest resort with the biggest pool of Malta, the food is very varied & so on.....
Well done Seabank!!! Go on & take the next star....
Karla Hensen

Room Tip: I like the rooms on the pool side
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank 007Karla

Reviewed 17 August 2012

Just returned from a 2 week stay with my wife and 2 children (aged 7 and 9).

We booked the Seabank hotel a long time ago knowing it was undergoing a full refurbishment in the hope that it would be a clean, professionally run hotel and of a good 4 star status.

Arrival / Check In
We arrived late at the hotel and the check in was very good. We were informed some food and drink was available for us which was a nice gesture. Luggage was taken to the room for us.

Room
We had a junior suite on the second floor which consisted of a small bathroom, kids room with partition and sliding door to another bedroom with dressing table etc and a small terrace. The room seemed very nice and clean. We had asked for proper single beds to be put in the room before arrival and this was done. Ample storage space, tea and coffee facilities and a fridge containing bottled water (all replaced daily by the maid). A combination safe is also in the room and we stored all our valuables in this in order to avoid anything going missing. Each bedroom has an individual television, fan and air conditioning (which works very well indeed but keep your terrace door shut). Overrall the rooms are of a good size, comfortable beds and the maids do an excellent job of keeping it clean.

However......on the back of the door there is nothing to tell you where to go in the event of a fire, and in fact all fire doors along the corridors were kept open day and night. In the bathroom, there was a leak under the basin which we couldn't be bothered to report as it was only minor and easily mopped up with a towel. Just a little frustrating. The fan in the kids bedroom was not working and we reported this. You could see water had at some time ran through the fan as it had left a rust spot on the fan and the floor. We were told this could not be repaired but that they would be replacing all the fans in the hotel bedrooms at some stage in the future as they looked too cheap.....not much use to us). The air con in both rooms worked well but after a few days we noticed the one in the kids room was leaking very badly. A manager came to look at it, offered to change our rooms but said it could be easily fixed. We stayed and yes, it was fixed whilst we were out on the following day. The television in our room was not working. That didn;t really bother us as we preferred reading and so did not report it.

Main Hotel
The reception area is very nice but coffee tables are not really wiped in the evening. Reception staff nice but useless - totally messed up our late check out and so we had to constantly check if anything could be done, very frustrating. There is a long corridor on the 2nd floor before you get to the rooms. Along this corridor are floor to ceiling windows which occasionally were fully open - a disaster waiting to happen, any young child could fall out!

Someone had been sick on one of the pathways leading from the pool side restaurant / toilets to the pool area. After 3 days of seeing it, I had had enough and complained at reception. It took 2 days for someone to clean it after I had reported the problem - really disgusting and a major health hazard.

There is a nice soft play area for toddlers.The bowling looked and smelled old, so we didn't bother. Same for the pub next to the bowling, just smelled really musty.

The spa looks nice although we did not use it.

The gym is useless.....weights okay but only 1 out of 4 running machines worked. By the time I had finished checking as the good one was in use, I tried a bike and that was also broken. I left the gym area very disappointed and did not bother return.

Main buffet restaurant on first appearance is very good and there are additional restaurants you can book during your stay. We tried the Vista and Jungle. The wait was awful and in the end I complained and we left. The Oriental was nice (self service so no waiting). We read and heard that the offsite 2 restaurants were not good and so didn't bother.

We ate mainly in the Coral buffet restaurant. Salads always available but always pretty much the same; pasta - kids liked - other foods: no disrespect meant to anyone on trip advisor when I say this. If you eat frozen food, or pre-prepared foods then you'll probably like the food. If you eat fresh food, with fresh herbs and some taste then you will be dissapointed. It was all piled high and most of the time bland, and on one occasion I had to complain as the pork was virtually uncooked! The fish and meat all look like they are taken out of the freezer. We would have loved some fresh fish or a nice grilled steak (as I would expect from a four star).

I suffer from coeliac's disease which is an allergy to gluten. Although there was something I could always eat, as I said it was bland. They offered to cook gluten free pasta (which I had twice and was okay but not really cooked well enough) and gluten free pizza (which I didn't bother with). Most occasions when I asked if something was gluten free, I got a blank expression and they had to go and check so I was left waiting for around 5 minutes each time. In the end I couldn't be bothered to ask and made my own judgement. Only the head chefs seemed to know. This was very poor service as we even received an acknowledgement from the hotel beforehand saying they could cope with the allergy.

The pool side restaurant served late breakfast (from 10am) but no croissants just toast so we always had to get up reasonably early to get to the Coral restaurant. All fruit juices everywhere are VERY watered down and worst I have ever tasted anywhere. It would have been nice for someone to serve tea or coffee at the table but it was self service for everything - in fact I would say self service everywhere to the extreme. Pool side food at lunch was burgers, pizza etc....seemed to be well cooked.

A lot of flies everywhere and also wasps by the pool - my wife was stung twice.

Basically the food was really dissapointing. My son suffered from a stomach upset, as did both myself (although mine was probably as I ate something containing gluten by mistake) and my wife.

Swimming Pool
Lovely size and plentiful amount of beds and umbrellas - absolutely no need to reserve anything with a towel. Very nice as well that you could change your towels as many times as you liked. On a negative point, the bottom of the pool is a concrete screed (not tiled) and so is very rough on kids feet. We bought them swimming shoes which helped and were not expensive. Activities are in the lower main lagoon style pool and even with that taking place there is plenty of room to swim and for kids to play. We kept to the top pool which was a little quieter and nearer the cave bar. My one complaint would be that there are a lot of wasps but then it is a hot climate so perhaps only to be expected. The music playing by the pool was a good idea but was very repetitive and too loud.

We noticed more people than one would expect with cotton wool in their ears when we arrived and on a couple of days the main lower lagoon style pool was closed a little longer than normal in the morning, presumably due to cleanliness of the water. We mainly swam in the upper pool and even then had to take our daughter to the doctor with an ear infection.

Entertainment
We didn't go for the entertainment, preferring to play cards etc in the indoor bar / reception area. Drinks are nice, including the cocktails and the bar staff do work hard and are all very polite. It would have been nice to get freshly made cocktails as opposed to out of a bottle and served in nice cocktail glasses instead of tumblers. It would also have been nice for a piano or something to be playing in the evening inside (just a suggestion!). Not everyone likes loud music.

We were there for the official opening and to be honest this left me really unhappy with the management. Far too many local Maltese people were invited and it was too crowded. All guests staying at the hotel - which they paid for - were told to get out of the entertainment dome whilst they gave speeches to their Maltese guests. I do not think this is on at all! The hotel had a nice firework display and laid on some food which was impossible to get to due to the amount of people. Personally I think it would have been better to have done this opening before accepting guests.

Our kids only went into the kids club a couple of times. Again the staff work hard but our kids complained it was a little boring.

Overral
The hotel has definitely been built as cheaply as possible and too much still going wrong. One builder was killed in the process of the refurbishment. I don' think the management have learnt any lessons from this and health and safety on site is far from sufficient.

We did have a relaxing holiday - and I know it may sound that I moan a lot - however, the holiday was certainly over priced for what it was. If you want a good 3 star hotel, come here but do not expect a 4 star resort. This hotel is clearly being mis-represented.

I would recommend not to stay any longer than a week.......

9  Thank AndyM290670
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I went on holiday to the seabank in Malta with my wife and 2 children. Here are the pros and cons (if you are thinking of going here.
PROS:
Great value for money, food was good and brilliant if fully inclusive, pools were clean and warm to swim in, the place is massive so loads of room, the gym was basic but ok if you want a work out, the place is very kid friendly with good access to push chairs and there is a kids area for young family's, free bottle water all holiday, friendly staff, mini disco for the kids was a hit with my 6 year old, aqua aerobics are really inclusive, some uk tv program's.

CONS: (and don't read too much into this) the performances in the evenings are by far the most disappointing part of the stay, the dancers are good but te other people sucked! By the final night I had just about had enough of bad acting, sloppy dance moves and mono tone "whoop whoops" from the Spanish comentator who never could get the volume right.

Overal I'd give this place a 4 out of 5 rating. Great to go if you want to get away from the 18-30 vibe, plus the weather was amazing!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Deanodude
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Great hotel, staff excellent very clean, really good choice of food. Relaxed atmosphere plenty going on for all ages. Lovely swimming pool with disabled access. 5 themed restaurants. We will be coming back.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We've just returned from a week at the Seabank hotel. We booked a family room with a sea view but the first room we were given just looked out over a road. When we went back to reception we were quickly given another room which was better (and huge) but as it was on the corner of the hotel overlooking a busy roundabout we weren't sure it was really worth the sea view supplement. However, the room was kept very clean and we didn't have any problems with towels etc. The air conditioning was brilliant and much needed. We were worried about switching on the ceiling fans as they looked like they were hanging by the wiring but our rep assured us that they had passed all the safety tests so we did use them when we needed to.
There was a lot of last minute building work going on. We arrived the day before the Prime Minister and lots of dignatories (including TV crews etc) were coming for the Inaugural Opening so it seemed as if there was a last minute panic to get things finished and the hammering went on until about 3 in the morning which was not a good start to the holiday.
From the Thursday onwards things calmed down a bit and the hotel staff seemed more relaxed. They were all very friendly and helpful.
The pool was lovely and there were always plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas.
Now to the downside - there were very little signs around the hotel to let you know where things were. Some signs were up leading to things which didn't exist (eg the shops and parking in basement - the button was there in the lift but the lifts didn't go down that far).
The food was brilliant for the first couple of days but it did become very repetitive. It was also extremely inconsistent - some days there were 3 or 4 fruits available and other days only 1. They seem to have a problem with the food labels. Often there were no labels or the labels were wrong (eg "rosemary potatoes" turned out to be potatoes with carraway seeds and "curry prawn" pasta was actually prawns and pasta in a garlic sauce). The coffee machines were often out of action (and only available in the mornings at the main restaurant). Most nights we strugggled to find a cohesive meal - for instance on curry night there was no rice to go with the curry and the only potato option was curried which didn't really go with the rest of the food ("veal cordon bleu" etc). Because of the odd combinations on offer our daughter ended up with chips at most meal times which isn't ideal and is nowhere near what we have come to expect from a 4 star all inclusive.
The evening entertainment is pretty dire. The animation team all work exceptionally hard and you can't fault them for their efforts but at the end of the day they are dancing and miming (not always that well) to recorded tracks. One night they put on a comedy night which was just awful and at times very inappropriate considering the number of chilren in the audience. It's such a shame as the entertainment room is excellent (the Dome) and the team are obviously trying very hard.
All in all this just isn't a 4 star hotel. If it wasn't for the pool and the excellent air con we would have really struggled. It's also a bit surprising that so many things are already in need of repair or replacement (the slabs around the pool are already lifting and all the hallway carpets are in a terrible state) when the hotel is so new. If this was sold as a 3 star hotel you probably couldn't really complain but this is a long way off the standards expected of a 4 star hotel.

6  Thank TSH_08
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I have read some reviews on here that have gave the hotel a bad review I would say not to listen to them. There was ongoing work on in the hotel however this is because the prime minister of Malta was officially opening the hotel but it is still going on. We did experience problems with our room but these problems were dealt with immediately. There was entertainment all day every day however in the evenings it was mainly entertainment put on by the animation team. The staff in the hotel were very friendly, helpful and outstandingly welcoming. There was a beautiful pool and it was only 4ft deep and probably the warmest pool I have been in. Also there was food there to cater for everyone. I would definitely recommened this hotel and Malta as it is a beautiful place to go. I would hope to return one day.

5  Thank cleevely
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We spent a week in August at the Seabank and were very impressed with all aspects of the hotel. The food was plentiful, varied and delicious; our rooms very clean, comfortable and spacious with a fabulous sea view; the pool was huge, clean and extremely well equipped with loungers and huge umbrellas and never seemed overcrowded. We particularly appreciated being directed straight to the lunch-time buffet on arrival before completing the details of checking in. The staff were friendly and helpful and we had a thoroughly enjoyable holiday.

8  Thank Helen V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Hilton Malta
Hilton Malta
#3 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Paradise Bay Resort Hotel

Been to db Seabank Resort + Spa? Share your experiences!