“Fantastic holiday”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic holiday”
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Not one that usually writes reports but i just have to say what a fantastic holiday we had and give a little bit of info for people that are thinking of going there.

1) great modern hotel, great location just across the road from probably the best beach in Malta.
2)Our room was a suite for 2 adults and our 2 daughters aged 9 and 4. brand new rooms that are very nice and fresh.
3) great food with a wide variety also 2 restaurants outside of the hotel next to the beach that are included in the all inclusive.
4)The kids club was outstanding, we are glad our kids didn't go in until the last 2 days of a weeks stay or we wouldn't of seen them. they don't just sit with the kids and draw pictures they take them around the whole hotel , swimming , pirate treasure hunts, lunch and lots more. your kids will have the time of there lives and you will get a bit of time to catch some sun. (note to hotel, they are doing a fantastic job)

It is a 4 star hotel just opened in may, and the good far out ways any negatives that some people have mentioned that i was not bothered about at all.

Last but not least, all the staff are very polite and friendly. if you have never been to Malta you will find that the locals are naturally very nice people and the island beautiful. i will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: The kids club was so good that we actually missed our kids!! we even tried to limit the time they sp...
7 Thank Johnlondon38

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,881)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Exmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2012

We've just come back from a 2 week stay at the Seabank Hotel (21/08/12-04/09/12) and had a great time. We had a Junior Suite which worked really well with 2 kids - their beds were in the lounge area with a sliding door to the main bedroom where we slept. Our room was spacious, clean and overlooked the pool. The air con was brilliant, the bottled water in the fridge was replenished daily and the safe was free.

There was a plentiful choice of food every day which was always freshly cooked. Even a fussy eater like me could find something to eat every day. If you wanted to you could eat from 7.30am right through until 10pm!

The pool is large and there are loads of sun loungers, some in the shade if you want it, so we never had a problem trying to find somewhere to lie by the pool. You can have clean pool towels every day and they don't seem to mind you taking them to the beach.

The beach is just across the road. The water is warm and quite shallow so perfect for kids. The beach is pretty much completely taken up by sun loungers so unfortunately you've got no choice but to use them really - 10 Euro for 2 loungers and an umbrella for a day.

The village is a 15-20 min walk up a steep hill where there are some restaurants and a few shops. You can get the bus from outside the hotel if you don't fancy the walk in the sun. There is a little bar at the top of the hill next to the church which has a great view of the bay.

The absolute gem at this hotel is the kids club. The staff were brilliant and our kids loved it! It's open from 10.30am until 6pm and they'll even take them to dinner! There is a kids disco at 8.30pm every evening and once a week the kids spend the whole day rehearsing and put on a show.

The evening entertainment was a bit hit and miss but that's not really what we go on holiday for. The animation team work really hard and are always trying to please!

The only downside to our stay was a massive thunderstorm and torrential rain on the last day. This was the first rain of the season and many areas of the hotel became flooded. I'm not sure how well the hotel is going to survive a lot of rain as it was coming through ceilings, running down internal walls and flooding the toilets! It seems that attention to detail was missed in the rush to get the hotel finished.

Overall a great family holiday and I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a family holiday in Malta.

6 Thank Alison J
hubertdebono, General Manager at db Seabank Resort + Spa, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
Dear Alison,
thank you for your superb review. We are thrilled that you and your family had a great time with us.
It was quite unfortunate for you to experience the thunderstorm, during your stay. Several places in Malta were flooded and we beleive we fared very well as we sustained only little damages and minor issues especially when considering that this was the first rain after such a massive renovation. We had been preparing for this for months and from the following day we immediately started repairing everything and making sure we are ready for the next test.
Thank you once again for recommending our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Stayed with my wife and 12 year old twins from 07/Aug-21/Aug
Would rate this hotel as a 3* as previous reviews state during our stay the building work is still on going,although it is not in your face a few areas we found to be dirty with cement dust and the like.Several areas around the pool were also not finished with missing and loose tiles,we did report one of the pool filter covers on the pool floor was damaged with sharp edges but it never got repaired during our stay I am suprised if nobody cut their foot on it.
Food we found to be of a good standard with plenty of choice but did become a bit repetative on a 2 week stay.Did like the fact that after speaking to the manager we could book the chinese whatever night we liked and ate their 4 nights during our stay.

Pool bar food we found well cooked and plenty of it but chose to use the main restaurant for lunch as we found it to hot to sit outside at that time of year and there was more food choice available in the main restaurant.
Did not try the other food outlets in the hotel due bad reviews.

All staff we found to be helpfull and polite and they really do work their socks off.
Our room was clean bright and comfortable while maintained by the maids to a high standard.

In summing up I would say like some others that the rebuild was rushed but like us all especially in a recession they have to make a living and had to be up and running as soon as possible.
On this basis and I have stayed in many different hotels in Malta over the last 30 years they will get there in the end as the managment and staff seem determined to achieve their mission.

Good luck to you all and I will return in the next couple of years.

6 Thank callum2203
Dear Callum,
Thank you for your overall positive review. Rest assured that the mentioned pool drain cover was replaced and that we are attending to all remaining bits which now boils down to daily and routine maintenance. Thank you for commending our staff, the food and cleanliness. We are constantly seeking to improve and provide the best possible for our clients. Thank you for your confidence in wanting to re-visit in the next couple of years. We look forward to welcoming you again and would be more than pleased to show you all the improvements we would have made until then.
London
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We just got back from 11 days at the Seabank and had a lovely time. I likely won’t add much to what has already been said but here goes. I think the most important thing is to take the hotel at face value for what it is – a great value family destination. I’ve stayed in lovely five star hotels, but the thing about the Seabank is that it is worthy of full marks here because it is a great all inclusive family hotel. If it were just my wife and I then no, it would not get the same score, but framed in terms of it being for the family then I’m hard pressed to knock it down.

Location – The hotel is in a bay which is not that near the main attractions of Malta. Saying that, there is Popeye Village nearby and regular buses which go all over the island. Malta is so tiny that you can get anywhere in half an hour and there are plenty of day trips on offer. Saying that we never left the hotel the entire time we were there. There is one of Malta’s only sandy beaches opposite and the sand is very lovely and soft and worth popping across the road for a dip in the sea. Having been to Malta twice before, we stayed in St Julians which means we could take a stroll at night which was not so much the case for where the Seabank is, but to be honest, the kid are not interested in evening strolls when they wanted to go to the disco!

Room Quality – Overall, the quality of the hotel was impressive. The lobby is very nice and the rooms are extremely clean and well appointed. We had a junior suite with two adjoining rooms, one for us and another for the kids. The room was a really good size and the kids each had a pull out bed. There were two TV’s (not that we used them!) and bottles of water in the fridge were replenished daily. My only minor gripe was we had a sea facing room but it was really on the side of the hotel so we could see the sea by leaning a bit over the balcony. Still. We kept our room, but just make sure of you get a sea view that it really is at the front of the hotel overlooking the sea. My only small gripe with the room was a badly fitted ceiling fan that showed poor workmanship but we only ever used the air con so no worries there. On a final note, there were notes from guests about renovation work. I saw little or no evidence of it bar some hammering or drilling so this is no longer a concern.

Food – I was nervous about the food, especially when one person seemed to say it is for people who like frozen food. Nothing could have been further from the truth. We’re vegetarian and the choice was fantastic and plentiful. Not only that but the food was fresh and cooked right in front of you by the chef’s. We ate most nights in the main Coral dining hall. There is a massive choice for most meals, including bread, cheeses, a big salad bar, soup, ice cream, fresh fruit and tons more. Each night is themed and the food rotates but I was consistently impressed. It was also never a problem for the chef to make something to order such as plain pasta for the kids. The main dining room is a bit like a noisy canteen but that is fine – it is geared towards families sitting down and eating quickly. My kids don’t want a romantic meal in a quiet restaurant so it suited us to a tee. Once again, take the dining hall on its merits on what it is designed for. Sure, it is busy, but what do people expect? We ate one night in the Pizza restaurant (you have to book them separately) and it was really poor. Food was too salty and over fried and we simply got up from our main course and walked out back to the main Coral restaurant! Only other negatives about the food hall that I have seen are the flies which are not anywhere like the problem I was expecting. Yes, there are flies and they are sitting on the walls etc but it is not an infestation by any means. Also, the fruit juices and very sugary and not fresh but my kids drink water mainly so it is not a problem. Interestingly, I asked why there was no coffee after dinner and the waiter told me that they have 1000+ people sitting in each night so they don’t have coffee as it prohibits a fast turnaround which makes perfect sense to me. There is coffee in the bar off the lobby if people want it. I saw someone say they would have wanted a chef doing made to order eggs but it just isn’t practical with the volumes of people at peak season. For lunches, we often ate in the pool restaurant which still had a great selection of food and geared more to kids with burgers, pizza etc. but there were still loads of salads and a selection of the wider dishes that you can eat in the main Coral restaurant. It always amazed me that there was food there from breakfast through to dinner and we could just pop in for a slice of pizza (which was always crisp and freshly made by hand) or cake.

Pool – The pool area is absolutely huge. Much like other people have said, there is no bun fight for loungers and there is masses of shade which is good as I don’t really like to sit in the sun. The pool itself was a very nice temperature (especially towards the latter end of the day) and the whole area is kept very clean and tidy. There is a grotto for drinks, and I felt really sorry for the barman surrounded by fruit juices who seemed to have a terrible fly infestation. The poor guy looked resigned to it!

Animation Team and entertainment- The team that put on the different activities were fantastic. They were always friendly and full of energy, especially the team that looked after the younger kids. My two girls are 8 and 5 and although they were initially reluctant to go to kids club, we couldn’t keep them away in the end! I really can’t heap enough praise on the animation team. I have no idea how they managed to muster such levels of energy and enthusiasm night after night for the 8.30 kids disco after a full day of activities that would have driven me insane. I’ve also seen comments on the quality of the night’s entertainment. I have to say, that you just need to approach it with a smile. No, you’re not going to get cruise ship stage show quality, yes, you will get something akin to Bultins (for UK readers!) at times but that is fine. The animation team put on their own shows which were tacky, but fun and many of them are genuinely talented dancers. On other nights, we had an eclectic mix of acts from the excellent magician through to the downright bizarre Elvis impersonator. There was also a good variety of live music and stuff to keep you entertained. Once again though, I cannot say enough how much fun my kids were and how happy they were. One thing I thought would drive me crazy but I seemed to always enjoy was the good old Club Dance. For anyone reading this who has been then you will love it or hate it- essentially a dance routine performed at least 3 times a day to the same song. My kids loved it, perfected the routine and we now suffer listening to it endlessly at home whilst they so routines in the kitchen (Danza Kuduro by Lucenzo on iTunes by the way of you ever want to get it!). In addition to all the kids stuff, there was daily pool activities such as water polo, aerobics and volley ball. Yes, it can be loud with music being pumped out and people shouting, but you need to take it all at face value! One tip is NOT to sit where the goals are for water polo. We made the mistake of sitting directly behind one of the goals and I knew never to make the mistake again after being hit on the arm and having the ball flying at me whilst reading a book.

Staff- All the staff were great. They were always helpful and smiling and I can’t fault them. They are a credit to the hotel. My minor grip was they my laundry never got collected and by the time it was, then I had to leave and it was sent offsite to be done and so they had to mail it back to me in the UK! Still, the hotel never charged me for the laundry and immediately offered to mail it back to me so I was perfectly happy. If you do get laundry done just beware!

Wifi – May seem to be a strange thing to single out but this is hands-down the best wi fi I have ever encountered in a hotel. The wi fi in the Sandbank is free, very high speed and absolutely everywhere. Most hotels have appalling coverage and this was exceptional. I took my iPad with and could use it right by the pool as well as streaming video in my room. I have never encountered such impressive wi fi coverage and they have obviously invested heavily in a LOT of access points that I could see in the corridors to keep a really good strong signal. Once again, might be an odd thing to point out, but as someone who lives on his iPad I was massively impressed by the consistent quality and coverage of the free service that never seemed to slow down or bottleneck at all.

In conclusion, you really do have to take the Seabank for what it is and at face value. Yes, I could easily sit here and pick away at it, but the sum of its parts add up to a great family holiday. I am really not sure what some people here expect. We got a really nice hotel that has been refurbished to a high standard which the staff keep very clean considering the sheer amount of people. The facilities are excellent and the choice of food is exceptional with something for everyone and always when you want it. The food itself was always tasty and with such variety, some stuff will invariably miss the mark but then it didn’t really matter as there was so much else to choose from. Overall, the hotel was still not at full occupancy at peak season and never felt too mad and busy. The kids club was made great by the excellent staff who are a credit to the hotel and like I’ve said, if you approach the evening entertainment with the right mindset then you’ll be happy. Overall, this was our first experience of all inclusive and our first hotel holiday after years of self catering. We thoroughly enjoyed the Seabank and were very sad to leave. It will certainly set the benchmark for any other all inclusive family holidays we take in the future.

Room Tip: If you have a sea facing room then make sure it is actually facing the front of the hotel and not on...
4 Thank Cranleyboy
tyne & wear
Reviewed 2 September 2012

On arrival it was chaos. 3 buses all at once was a bit too much for reception to deal with. We were given bands told to have lunch & a drink as rooms weren't ready. 4 hours later we were allocated our room. Not the room we booked. I asked to change to the pool view I booked, they offered me a smaller room with a sea view instead it was nice so I accepted it. 1 hour later we were still waiting for porter so back to reception who were very sorry and would send one immediately. Back to room to find another family in room with our luggage & belongings. They were as upset as we were. Back to reception again. Another apology an a porter to show us to new room. Time for dinner which was in main Coral restaurant very nice. Excellent air con. Kids disco every night our 11 year old loved it. The daily kids club was a big hit open from 10.30 till 6 we nearly forgot we had a child with us she spent so much time there. The staff were amazing. Show time on evenings in The Dome were ok. Air con in bedroom fab much needed it was 35 degrees outside. Maid kept room tidy every day. Breakfast very very good lots of choice. Lunch very good too. The pool restaurant was also good. Pool area fab lots of parasols & beds. Cave bar nice & cool. The bar at front of hotel overlooking the sea was excellent the staff very friendly. The beach is across the busy road. A good beach but very busy when we were there. One downside for us was people walking through reception in swim wear( wet). It didn't look good. Also people in swimmers & suncream using front bar. This could transfer to evening clothes. A few small changes to little details like this would make a big difference. All in all a great hotel.

3 Thank jessie1414
Dear Jessie,
Thank you for your review. We are very glad that after the first hiccups, you have had a thouroughly enjoyable holiday with us. Apologies for the issues on arrival, which we are well aware of, as thankfully this was a very exceptional case on one extremely busy morning. Steps have been taken to ensure it does not re-occur. Thank you for your suggestions and will do our utomost to educate guests to be considerate in their attire when using public areas.
It will be a pleasure to welcome you back in the future and look forward to that.
Malta, Europe
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I have been in the Seabank All Inclusive Resort & Spa in June 2012 with my wife for a 3 day stay. On arrival I noticed the modern style of the hotel and how much spacious the hotel is. The staff was polite and we checked in quickly. We noticed that the room was spacious and had a good view of the pool. We also noticed that there were several visible cracks around the room. One could notice that some parts were no finished yet.
The pools were clean and relaxing. There were ongoing activities animated by the SeaBank animators. They were enjoyable.
Food was fabulous and there was a great variety of food from where one can choose.
The concept of all inclusive is an excellent idea for the island of Malta and hope that other hotels would adopt the idea.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank noelm789
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Arrived on day of inauguration by Prime Minister of Malta, 9th August. Clean and very pleasant hotel with most amenities, including a spa. Nice room overlooking pool area where there are plenty of loungers and shades available. Very good 10 days spent at the hotel and fair variety of food available from variety of restaurants including two associate restaurants, all inclusive menu, five minutes walk from the hotel, overlooking the bay. Only downside, mentioned to hotel, is the non bar dispensing of drinks at meal times which are from machines when quite often the concentrations on juices and various types of coffee are not right. More attention to checking on a regular basis is required by staff. Additionally the bars shut at 11.00pm so if you want a night cap then but a couple just before and take to your room.

Room Tip: Choose one overlooking the pool as others may not have such a pleasant outlook
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank MarathonMan427
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
#5 of 12 in Mellieha
Hilton Malta
Hilton Malta
#3 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to db Seabank Resort + Spa? Share your experiences!