“Great Family Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Dub in Down
“Great Family Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

We have just returned from a week in the Sea bank. It was wonderful. The family room was huge and the staff very attentive. We were all inclusive which was great having two young children no shortage of drinks!!I must add however I think if we were staying for a fortnight we would have been fed up with the food. For a week it was fine, good choice and piping hot. We didn't try the other restaurants on site.
I have to give a special mention to Belinda and the team that run the children's club and the entertainment. My children loved Belinda she has a special gift with children and this really shows. I have never experienced a children's club as well run as this in any other hotel and if only for this alone we will return. The entertainment team work so hard to keep everyone entertained and accept happily if you really just want to laze in the sun as we did.The evening shows were very good.
The hotel is situated in a very quiet location. There isn't much around so if you are after night life go somewhere else. The beach is right across the road and families were swimming in the sea it looked quite safe. We did get the bus across the road to Valetta it took 1 hr and 40 mins.
Great hotel, spotlessly clean and we will return.

1 Thank DubinDownSecret

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,818)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013 via mobile

one week stay, as a group of 6 adults. Overall very good , noise from hammering drilling grinding was daily and engulfed the pool area, judging by the progress I would say same for next twelve weeks. Wifi patchy , but useable. Food good but they need to sweep up! Overall good level of quality for price mark.

• Stayed May 2013
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

We have decided to take a little trip to Malta for six days. Coming from Dubai the distance seemed to be ok with a 14 month old. I have read many reviews here in Tripadvisor and decided to choose this hotel simply because of the reviews.
The moment I choose this hotel, a Maltese friend of mine knew that I might not like the hotel for various reason. I would like to give my best review after having worked myself for a decade in the hotels and airline industry.

Location:
The location has positives and negatives. If you are looking to take a little cruise on the med, there is a little dock just across the hotel where tours are operated. This was great. However, Melliha is not a place for people that are looking to see the upper class of Malta when it comes to shopping, restaurants and overall friendliness of the Maltese people. Just trying to get a decent coffee or cocktail around the hotel was impossible. Places like Selimah are definitely better spots for people that like to feel a lively city by the Med.sea.
The beach was disappointing for me. Could be that I have been to much nicer beaches around the world. Simply could not see the beauty in that beach. Overcrowded too.

The hotel:
The hotel lacks one thing: Excellent customer service and decent customers too! Some staff were exceptional. I can think of Awali who served us. We have received such an amazing customer service from him. So the potential is there. Unfortunately, Awali, Chris T. and Gabor are the exceptions in that hotel just to name a few names. Coming from the US, I realized that it might have something to do with the tipping culture of most the European clients. I barely see anyone tip any of the staff while serving them. (Bartenders etc) This again, creates bad customer service too. Wages are low in Malta, and I think a little bit of gratitude would go a long way. Having said that it is hard to tip when receiving bad service to begin with. So it is kind of a dilemma. But to be fair, the service was overall ok, but not great in most cases.
At one point the bartender was simply shouting : " Next"! "Next"! No smile, no reply once you thanked them for the drink......no friendly emotions at all!
Keep in mind that most people that stay at this hotel are Europeans with the majority from the UK, Germany, France and so on. What seems to be very common is to walk with swim wear into the hotel. It is difficult to sip on your cocktail inside the lobby when people show you something that should be only shown by pools. The hotel needs to address this issue and make it more clear to their customers.

Food:
The food was overall good. The breakfast starts only at 7:30 am. There is an option of having a bite to eat earlier, but the selection is limited. This timing is definitely late for a hotel this size.
The lunch is nice, but you need to show up early, as the salads did not get replenished once they were out. Not sure if this is the norm, but that's what I noticed while going to lunch at 2pm instead of Noon. The food lacks to cater for people with special diets. I remember taking a salad and finding bacon in it. The cook assured me that it had no meat. But there seems to be a mix of utensils that cause foods to mix. For someone that is strictly a Vegetarian or has an allergy, this can be annoying. However, I must say that other than that, the food was good.

Drinks:
Remember that the drinks that you get are already made in bottles. Let's say you order a tequila sunrise. The actual cocktail comes made in a bottle. All the waiter adds is the Orange juice. I felt that this completely changes the way the drink tastes. The juices are very concentrated and high in sugar. Fresh Orange juice is not available there according to a waitress. Also, they do not have all cocktails. But rather a list of cocktails you can order. There is also no "sparkling" wine or anything with bubbles. I did find that in case you want a cocktail that the waiter is willing to mix it for you. But for someone like me who enjoys Mojitos and Caipirinias, there was no such thing! So overall ok, but you will not to get a big selection of cocktails. If you are someone that enjoys mostly beer and wine, this is the right place for you!

Rooms:
The rooms have been refurbished. The hotel is very old, so keep in mind that things are not spotless. The housekeeping failed to clean the floors 4 days out of the five we were there. Try to take the sea view rooms as those have the best view.

The kids club:
The kids club was very disappointing for me. My son is only 14 month old and crawls a lot. When I went there I was told that my son can crawl on the soft play mat. The mat looked dirty but the lady assured me that they just cleaned it. Since it had some wet spots, I believed her. What followed was really disappointing. The staff walked with their dirty shoes all over the mat back and forth while my son was crawling there. I addressed the issue to a blonde lady that told me that the kids club is not really made for kids that age but that they allow them to come here and play on the mat. I was confused by that statement. Why allow them to come here and then not tell your staff to remove their shoes when walking on the mat?

To sum it up, the stay at the Seabank was simply not for us. We are travelers that have visited several All inclusive restaurants (Mexico, Carribean), that were simply better in many ways. Therefore I can only relate this to the customers that choose this hotel. For European standards, this All inclusive hotel seems to be a good thing. Being brought up in Germany, I know that Customer service is by far not as good as the US for example. So, I can only make the conclusion that our expectations for Service and overall All inclusive hotels are simply too high for resorts like this.
Also, we are people that like a nice hotel but lively surroundings that offer a selection of cafe's bars, restaurants etc, which this hotel fails to provide for us.

Cheers!

Room Tip: Take the sea view rooms!
2 Thank JVT113
Aarhus, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

Summary of this review

Pros:
Great small kids area and pool.
Well-equipped and really good rooms.
Suburb cleaning of rooms and room standard
Great service and friendliness of staff especially front reception
Great heated indoor pool.

Cons:
Poor daily cleaning of pool area and sometimes dining hall floor
No washing machines only laundry service
Food good but not outstanding

We were 12 people aged from 2-67 years who travelled here together in may staying in 3 junior suites (3412,3414,3416)

Location:
The locations is good especially if the beach is your thing. There is not a hotel better placed in Malta near the beach. The transfer takes 40 minutes. Allow plenty of time to travel around also with public transport. Instead of joining a tour I would suggest to contact transfer companies to just arrange transport. We found out it was less than a third of the price with guide.

Rooms:
The rooms are really good standard. Our rooms were newly refurbished and refitted. Out of seven AI hotels (4 star) these are the best rooms. The bath is really good with dryer, handheld shower, bathtub and everything is working. There are even 3 plugs with EU two pin standard combi sockets (like Germany, Denmark) and a free safe with room for laptop.
There are 32 inch “haier-brand” tvs in each room, with a good selection of Italian, French and a bit of English and german channels. There are two movie channels with English movies and English voice. It is possible to hook your own console or dvd to it by red, yellow, white cable (on the side easy) or hdmi on the back (difficult).
The madrasses are actually quite good, no problems at all in our group.
There is Air-con and fans in both rooms, plus screen sheets, and two sets of sheeting for the windows. The balconies have a glass wall on top of a cement wall. Very safe for children (just do not leave the two plastic chairs next to it:)
The elevators are plentiful and very fast. The best I have seen in AI hotels so far.

Wifi:
I have never been to a hotel with wifi working this well. The range was from the beach (okay) to the rooms (very good), the pool area and so on. You could skype, facetime and so forth. Even demanding youtube was fine. Great for teenagers. Perhaps this is standard in Malta with fast wifi, but we enjoyed it.

Workout facilities:
There is a very well equipped gym, bench, 6 machines, free weight (funny enough all ranges from 1-10 kgs. And again from 20-35 kg. but none in between?). There are many weights for lifting with bars etc. Two sitting bikes, two standing bikes, 3 running tracks, 1 step, 3 cross trainers. No towels or water provided. Also the beach is great for a morning run.

Spa:
This place also has the best spa of the hotels we visited in this class. My wife had 4 “things” done and liked both the quality and the price. The even have a Serbian male physiotherapist employed (may 2013). The sell products at reasonable prices to.

Restaurants:
There is one main morning/evening restaurant called coral. It is huge but not to noisy. The food selection here is fine and drinks are self service. Local beer is fine but not to strong. There is another pool restaurant open for lunch. (Perhaps the main big restaurant is open for lunch in summer to). But this is very noisy due mainly to bad acoustics.
There are a few special restaurants around the resort as well. The orient is by far the best. The selection is huge, from nice sushi, to fried crispy duck with pancakes (a treat), to all sorts of oriental fried dishes. The Italian we did not try but we ate many of the premade pizzas someone else is talking about in the reviews and found them delicious. The jungle restaurant is a kids restaurant in case some reviewers have not noticed. The Brazilian we did not try but it look a bit weird. People were benched in glass house like restaurant and waiters came round with long sticks filled with barbecue something.

Entertainment:
There is a kids club with very friendly young people. We did not use them as day-care as we had 6 children with us and they played with each other, but they sometimes joined in on the fun. They also organize popular games, dart, boule, soccer etc. Many people joined and looked happy.
In the evening they do the classic disco which is fine and the afterwards entertainment is okay. Nothing to special about it, but again up to your taste. The acoustics let the artist down a bit in my opinion.

Pool/Beach:
There is one huge main pool (with sidepool), a kids pool and a good indoor pool. In may with temp. around 24 degrees the pool was around 22 degrees which is okay. People swam but mainly kids. The indoor pool is really good. I can not believe other reviews of this. Yes it is painted concrete but its oval shape 1,7 meter 30 degrees warm water was perfect. All day it was used and mainly with children. There is a lot of air-con installed in the roof, so I guess it feels like a sauna in summer, but for us it was fine.
The tiles used are good but do get slippery when soaked in water. So watch your children (or drunk wife/husband). Saw quite a few kids falling. This is a problem in many hotels.
The beach is supposedly the best in Malta and is very fine. It is just across the road. You can rent sun-chairs, parasols and do water sports at reasonable prices. The water is clear with sandy shallow water at roughly 19 degrees (may 2013).

Cleaning:
The cleaning can be divided into two segments. The cleaning of the rooms was impeccable, really good. But the cleaning of the outside pool area is not good. Classes and alike were not removed during the day and plastic tables were not wiped of even though they were clearly dirty (around kids pool). This was pointed out 3 times by us but no action. In the end we did it ourselves and did not waste any energy on it. But this is not good. Also the restaurants were clean all over except for the floor under the tables. Maybe I am fussy but this was new to me staying in a AI hotel (been to 7 others).

Guests:
The guests were the best mix I have ever experienced. There were a slight majority of British people, but not the rowdy sort (sorry if I have offended some), and other major countries are Danish, German, French, Italian, Dutch and so on. Really a good mix. In the weekend there came a whole lot of locals Maltesians coming for a weekend all inclusive. The filled up pretty much, but were very friendly. It was very good that the locals came to us, when we just relaxed on the spot. Also it meant that more restaurants were open:)

Other:
Why are there no washing machines? I simply can not believe this? All other AI hotels at 4 stars I have been to have this. It is much easier with kids and would really not cost a lot for the hotel. Well they can even make money on it. I would not mind paying 3 euros for wash and 3 euros for drying:)
The hotel would appear wheelchair friendly. I am not and expert on this but could push my kids trolley pretty much everywhere.
When we were here (may 2013) the hotels was only half full (600-800 guest according to front reception). It has roughly double this capacity and is obviously full in summer. Please bear this in mind when reading this review (this means more pressure on anything from wifi to restaurants). Also we talked to at least seven locals (tour guides employees etc.) who said that this is absolutely the best time to visit: Fine weather, somewhat lush green island, not to much pressure on transport, beach, hotels, transport so on.) Also it gets really hot (and humid) in the summer.
I would come back to this hotel but for sure not in summer. No way.

Hope this review was helpful.

Room Tip: Be aware that traffic starts early (5.30 am.) so make sure you count this in when you pick your room...
9 Thank Michael M
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

Great hotel just across the road from the best beach in Malta. Really good food selection and well prepared. We stayed in January and the pool area was being revamped but should be finished now and the whole complex will be open. Well set out with lots of space and pleasant areas to lie. Good bars and entertainment areas.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank john c
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

We stayed at Seabank at the end of April , the week after the Easter holidays. We deliberately chose this week because we want a quiet, relaxing holiday and the place lived up to our expectations. The restaurants were packed at the weekend, as the local people made the most of the special deals, and this gave an indication of what it could be like at high season. So we will return again but again will pick a "non- holiday" period.
The whole place was always clean, the staff mostly friendly and there was always loads of space to sit in the bar areas, by the pool and in the restaurants (except meal times at the weekend). There was lots of choice, good cuts of meat, plenty of fresh fruit and veg in the main restaurant and always lovely salads and pasta if you didn’t want the daily specials. We tried the Chinese Restaurant, the 7.30 sitting, but were sooooo disappointed as the kitchen was clearly having a problem on that day. There was a choice of soup, prawn crackers and burnt spring rolls for starters; salads and stir fried peppers with onions for main; no rice or noodles or any other hot food ready. We left and went into the main restaurant where there was loads of rice on offer!!! We did however have a great Chinese Meal in the main restaurant one lunch time. The Brazilian wasn’t for us either with only lumps of meat on offer. The food in the Italian was good, and if you didn’t want the set “free” meal you could choose from the full a la carte menu and get 50% off.
All in all, a great place for a relaxing fully inclusive holiday.

Room Tip: We had a sea view on 4th floor and had no complaints whatsoever, but would upgrade to suite with bal...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Coolkahki
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

Have just arrived back from holiday at the Seabank Hotel in Malta .We can't thank you enough for the super holiday all your staff gave us. The friendly atmosphere from all of them, they should be all commended. There is nothing I could fault this hotel. Rooms are cleaned every day Meals are excellent, Animation team brilliant. Loved it so much going back in December.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, see you soon

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear of hotel get the sun most of the day
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mateyscotland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Pergola Hotel & Spa
#5 of 12 in Mellieha
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,515 reviews
Paradise Bay Resort Hotel

Been to db Seabank Resort + Spa? Share your experiences!