“Couldn't ask for better”

db Seabank Resort + Spa
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The Seabank Hotel was one of the best if not the best we have stayed in over our many years of travel. It was kept spotlessly clean in all areas. The food was excellent as were the various restaurants we visited at no extra charge. The animation team were also excellent but how they managed to keep going day and night was amazing!! Well done.
Having stayed at various all inclusive hotels this one provided everything, safe-free of charge, water-free of charge, tea and coffee making facilites in fact nothing was too much trouble. The staff were very friendly and all seemed to be happy to work there. We stayed at the Riviera Palace in Marva Bay earlier in the year but it didn't come any where near the standard of the Seabank. Will certainly be going back next year.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SMITHS001

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Was looking forward to this short break in this extensively refurbished hotel. It can be said that it is a new construction and from the outside the initial impression was favourable.

Check-in was almost without hassle. Room given to us immediately. Went to room and noticed the following:

Very Clean and spacious
TV has a decent selection of channels

However:
Window not sealed properly; noise and wind could enter room.
Ceiling fan unbearably noisy.
One of the two Dispensers in bathroom not working properly.
Mattress a bit too soft for my taste.

These did not bother me too much.

Package we booked as part of a group included two dinners, two lunches and two breakfasts. We had a special package which forbade us to dine in the varied restaurants of the hotel. We expected that and had no problems with this.We weren't expecting a full inclusive package at all.

We went for our first buffet. Food selection was quite varied but pretty bland in taste. Asked for a well done basic steak to be prepared on BBQ for my wife. It was rare when cut! I ate it instead as my companion went off it. What was irritating was that plates were never removed from our table and by the end of the evening the table had a pile of plates and cutlery. Many of the staff were foreign and could barely speak decent English. Photos not taken at this stage since I thought it’s was a one off.

First day breakfast was in the same room of the evening dinner. Typical English/continental breakfast. Nothing to comment about it. However a storm hit the area with heavy rain and throughout the hotel one could see water seeping and dripping from ceiling including in the dining room.We had breakfast with buckets with water dripping around us as well as staff mopping the floor regularly. Not a good sign for a newly constructed building.

Issues starting cropping up in the second evening dinner. We were told as a group to visit the dining room at 7:30. We actually were ‘allowed’ in at 8:00. We went to sit for a table and we were told to move because the table we chose “was for residents”. We asked “ain't we residents as well?” We ended up being moved three times till we had a table and than another two times whilst staff were setting a table for another huge group. Another couple who was in our group had their wine glasses removed from their table because they were needed by this large “full price paying group”. We had to settle for platic pic-nic style glasses. I would not take that and I just took a glass from the 'superior' residents' table and used it for my own use. I will not drink wine (which we had to pour from a dispenser not from a bottle or carafe) from a plastic cup.

Food was slightly better than first evening but nothing special. Asked for an explanation from general manager about these two issues who said that there was a misunderstanding and offered us a drink. We did not take it. He even made the waiter who told us that the tables are for residents to apologise for the misunderstanding not for the wrong choice of words. I sensed sarcasm in the tone of voice of the General Manager who was in the company of the F&B manager. He said "tomorrow we will give you VIP treatment". Was obviously not expecting this.

Sunday breakfast and the moments right after was the culmination of the non-experience. Room was dark, food was as the previous day. We sat on the same cheap plastic chairs and tables. Had once again plastic cups. A person complained and waiters were seen bringing normal glasses soon after. Somebody else complained at the inadequacy of the bread. It was probable stale or dry. I did not touch the bread so I can't couch for this detail. Soon after a waiter brings fresh bread on this person’s table. We were not allowed to have breakfast in the main dining room of the hotel (which was empty at that time) and were confined to this gloomy place which resembled more a snack bar than a dining area. In fact this area is used for morning snacks for people who prefer this to lunch.

This time we complained in an assertive way with the F&B manager telling him that we were not second rate guests at this hotel. He told us to complain to the group organisers who had accepted the conditions of the food areas. We told him that trip advisor would hear of this. He said “write wherever you want we have enough positive reviews on Trip Advisor”. I barely spoke to the F&B manager and only spoke with him when he tried to follow us inside the lift at the end of what my companion told him. I did not allow him to enter the lift as I did not want to talk with him further.

I say well done for ruining the reputation of the so called 4 star (!!??) resort! I say if the hotel is a truly four star hotel it would have never accepted to degrade the level of service offered to any group/individual because of special offers. The special offer was that we paid round 40euro less each person over a two night stay (as per Hotel website)

I had no problem in not going to various restaurants and not having a real all inclusive package during the stay (even though I would have paid the extra 40 euro). I will never accept to be told that a table or a glass is for residents. I will not accept that I or any group should be confined to a dark gloomy place for breakfast when main breakfast room is almost empty for all the rest of the residents of this hotel.

Another thing we were told was that the food would have been similar to other restaurants in the same hotel. I ask, is dining at a hotel or any other establishment all about the food? I can stuff myself with food in very cheap restaurants. Dining out is about an experience. It's about being given importance. I eat out regularly and I don't eat out because I'm hungry. I eat out to enjoy a relaxing evening with my wife. The food has to bee good but the atmosphere and overall experience need to be exquisite!

We checked out at 10am and forfeited the final prepaid buffet Sunday Lunch which was going to take place in the same gloomy area (It costed a good 26Euro per person for non residents). They could have offered us fresh lobster at this stage because we weren't ready to dine in that room again. We were too upset and annoyed at the lack of attention, customer care and segregation offered to us in this so called 4star hotel. 4 star hotels do not confine you to a "snack bar" for all your meals because your package was a special offer!

Hospitality is about making the resident as comfortable as possible (obviously within reason)
Problems with customer should be dealt with by solving the problem and not justifying wrong decisions (and offering a drink after)

Have a look at the photos I uploaded with my comments.

Room Tip: Rooms were very similar from what I saw
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
11  Thank DanielCordina
hubertdebono, General Manager at db Seabank Resort + Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Mr. Cordina,

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience at Seabank. I do apologise if things did not go as expected. Since the booking was made as a group and agreed on a different meal plan than the normal All Inclusive package, we had to make special arrangements that had been agreed with the group organiser in advance. The main reason for this was to accommodate everyone in the group in one area so you could all be together. In the main restaurant this would not have been achievable due to the high occupancy. I had made it a point to talk personally to most of the members of the group and all assured me that they had a great time and enjoyed the food and facilities.

We have already apologised about the inadequate comment passed by a member of staff that made you feel unwelcome and our intention was to make it up to you during Sunday lunch. Unfortunately you have left earlier.

The polycarbonate cups are available in all our restaurants and a choice of proper glass ones is always available at the beverage buffet.

I am sorry if our efforts did not meet your expectations and if there is anything we can do at this point to make it up to you please feel free to let me know. Nothing will give us more pleasure than to see you back at the Seabank where will do our utmost to ensure you will experience the great service we are renowned to provide.

Feel free to contact me personally if you wish to discuss matters further.

Best regards,
Hubert Debono

Reviewed 3 November 2013

The hotel has become one of the best hotels we have been to, not only in Malta. And it's not only because of its lovely premises and the services.
This was our 3rd stay and we feel like a part of the big family. The staff make you feel great. They appreciate your presence, they are very helpful and friendly. Starting from the manager Mr. Debono, through the supervisors, receptionists (Marion S. is exceptionally helpful and considerate), chefs and cooks, bar staff up to the cleaning staff, all are polite, friendly and welcoming. Their animation team is doing a wonderful job.
A great strategy from the hotel… in every hotel you could find some faults, however, it's the way they deal with the problems and how they make you feel that makes the difference. We felt like at home.
In our opinion, the food served has improved, the concept of different-styled restaurant works well.
The equipment (machines) in the gym could be modernized.
Thank you all for the great stay again. Can't wait to get back again!

Room Tip: Even though it's all inclusive resort, please appreciate the hard work of the hotel staff and re...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NordicSun
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We were three Adults celebrating a special Birthday. Very helpful and pleasant staff. We had a problem with our first room, we thought it was too far from the lifts. We were quickly changed to another room, with an extra bedroom. Free wi fi in all areas. No complaints.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 6315 which had an extra room..we were three Adults. Great view of pool.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ireneobyrne
Reviewed 31 October 2013

The hotel has not control over the supervisor key cards! Lock the door at all times!

We just stayed there a couple of nights. Second evening at the hotel the door to the room suddenly opened without prior warning, knocking or anything. Only way to open the door is with a key card. In came a woman who looked very disoriented. In the hall outside of the door stood a man dressed in the hotels staff-clothing holdling a key card in his hand. When they saw us he asked if we knew the woman. "Does she live her?" When we said no, they left.

When I adressed the front desk manager about this she said that they would never do a thing like that. I asked her to check with the staff working that evening. Two days later upon check-out I was informed that it could not have been any of the staff since they were all accounted for that evening.If so, why was not the local Police called in? We could have given good descriptions of the two persons.

This leaves a couple of disturbing questions unanswered.
Was it a burglar attempt? Where did the key card then come from? Conclusions is that the hotel does not have full Control over it´s key system or supervisor keys. And they did not seem to bother either.
Was it a staff member? What four-star hotel let´s people in to a room without properly checking if the person they are letting in is legitimately a resident of that room? what would have happened if we had not been present in the room?
Was it a staff member using his supervisor key to perform a burglary?

I do not know which of these options are the worst one. What I do know is that the front desk management did not seem to be too upset by me reporting this. And that is the most disturbing thing of them all!

Room Tip: Use the extra lock on the door at all times. Or, choose a hotel that takes security issues more seri...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Grumpy_gentleman
hubertdebono, General Manager at db Seabank Resort + Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Dear Grumpy_gentleman,

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We have investigated the claim thoroughly and rest assured that the case was genuine. The member of staff was helping a lady locate her room and, precisely because he could not match the name with room number given, he escorted her to the room personally to verify that the room belonged to her. She was claiming that her ID card was in the room and so was her husband. At no point was a key to the room given to this guest.

I do apologise for having left you in the dark of what happened exactly and if this incident has left a negative impression on your whole stay. Should you require more info please feel free to contact me personally.

best regards,

Hubert Debono
hdebono@seabankhotel.com

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We enjoyed our ‘bargain break’ in early October at the Seabank. The atmosphere at the hotel was a happy one both from the staff and the holidaymakers. Everything needed for a good holiday was there – nicely modernised bedrooms kept spotlessly clean, delicious food from a good variety of restaurants, helpful staff and a good location on the sea front, surrounded by open countryside (the island is largely very built up) and on an efficient bus route to all parts of the island.

In order to achieve the bargain prices, all drinks in the restaurants were provided via drinks dispensers – including wine! In the bedroom, four bottles of water were provided in the fridge on arrival and once used up guests refilled from water cooler machines. The safe in the bedroom was provided free of charge – a nice touch. Unusually, there were no toiletries other than two soap type dispensers by the basin and in the bath. We bought a bar of soap in the hotel’s shop, but had we known we would have brought our own with us.

The hotel shop had a good selection of items at reasonable prices. There was a small supermarket near the hotel.

The swimming pool was warm enough to swim in – although it did require some acclimatising to the cool water temperature before taking the plunge! I believe the sea was warmer.

The hotel grounds really only allowed for the pool and surrounding sun beds, so no gardens as such. There were thousands (or so it felt!) of sunbeds that meant there was never a problem finding somewhere to sit but on the other hand made the poolside unnecessarily cramped.

We found the main buffet restaurant was sometimes overcrowded – at peak breakfast and dinner times. Again the hotel had crammed in the tables making it hard to get round them. I think maybe the hotel could house more guests than the restaurant and pool could comfortably handle. We used the other restaurant options for dinner, which suited us very well – smaller and not so crowded with excellent food.

Our room was quiet despite being directly over ‘the Dome’, where the evening entertainment was held. The double glazing in the sliding doors to the balcony was very effective!

Mellieha village is a short bus ride away (up a very steep hill) and is delightful. Beautiful old churches and a small high street with a bank, surprisingly up market jewellers, a few small shops, a couple of bar/restaurants and a little post office, which also ran a taxi service. We hired a taxi for the day from them, which took us wherever we wished round the island at a very reasonable charge – well worth considering. Mdina is a delightful old town, the glass works at Ta’ Qali craft village are amazing and the fishing village of Marsaxlokk very picturesque.

There is a ‘Red Tower’ on a hilltop that can be seen from the hotel. The local buses go some of the way then it is an uphill walk. It is worth it for the panoramic views and it is part of the National Trust, so if you are a member and have your membership card you can go in free!

Our Thomas Cook holiday rep – Jade – was excellent. She ran a good, well-informed welcome meeting, was always happy to help, and dealt very efficiently with a problem we had over our luggage at Gatwick.

We would certainly recommend the Seabank Hotel for a reasonably priced break.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank skhchichester
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We had an excellent holiday at Seabank. Our room was great and very spacious. The staff were friendly and always very helpful. The entertainment was excellent and of a very high standard. There were plenty of well organised activities and plenty of choice in what to do. The food was excellent and the menu choice was fantastic. Overall a great holiday. We would certainly use this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Paul O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
#3 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Luna Holiday Complex
Luna Holiday Complex
#5 of 12 in Mellieha

Been to db Seabank Resort + Spa? Share your experiences!