“First time in Malta”

db Seabank Resort + Spa
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Chose this Hotel for a bit of relaxation and to explore this part of Malta. On the plus side the Hotel had recently been refitted and was spotless with excellent facilities alround. The staff were great as were the animation team. For all inclusive the food in the main restaurant was of really good quality with special dishes being cooked most nights.e found this restaurant better than the themed ones. The top pool is an adults only pool which we enjoyed the peace and tranquility it brought. The games facilities were also good together with the Aqua-exersize (for the wife - beer-o-clock for me). Swimming in the warm water of the bay before breakfast was great.
On the down side the rooms were clean and comfortable but suffered from traffic noise due to the road in front of the hotel even after trying to change rooms after one night we stayed with our original large corner room on the first floor over the roundabout, the hotel was full so there was limited options to get further away. The town itself up on the hill will cheer you up, when you get back to the hotel that is.

Room Tip: Avoid the roundabout side of the hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nigel G

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed here first two weeks of October, sunny and 28 degrees but for one day of rain. The good things about this resort are: the amazing view from the huge terrace of the deluxe sea-view rooms; the relaxing rural location, with local bus stop right across the street (7-day pass to go all over Malta is only 12 euros); the good and very friendly housekeeping staff; the spa; and the hard-working entertainment team including the wandering musicians at dinner. The public beach across the road is nice but there is no arrangement for hotel guests and you have to pay 10 euro daily fee for a beach chair. Other than that, compared to other all-inclusive resorts across the world we have visited, this is at best a 3-star facility that needs to try a lot harder to become a 4-star. The worst problems are the pools: although beautiful looking, the water was very cold (the sea was much warmer) so very few people went in. The pools close at 8 p.m., even the indoor pool and hot tub, where other resorts allow adults to use these facilities after dark. The bars have a very limited drink menu, with a short list of cocktails to choose from. For example, we were told they would not make a Margarita, a very common drink, because people in Malta don’t drink Margaritas. However, there are two restaurants just a block up the road that serve great Margaritas. The resort has low quality liquor, and you have to buy tokens at the front desk for what they consider to be the better brands of liquor (since when is Gordon’s Gin considered to be a “top shelf” brand?). The bar staff could use some hospitality training, as all but one of them acted like they would rather be working somewhere else. Bar cleanliness is a problem with sticky bar and table surfaces, and tables that were not cleared when people left. More than once we saw tables that sat all day long without being cleared, collecting flies. The bars also suffer from the same design issue as the restaurants, being that there is no lighting design at all. It’s as if they ran out of money when doing the renovation a year or two ago. There is no “atmosphere” to enjoy. In the bars and the outdoor restaurant there are just some harsh roof top security-type flood-lights, and the indoor restaurants were lit up like prison cafeterias. The food choices are limited and although some was quite good (Laguna), some was also quite bad (Oriental). Poor logistics planning also plagues the restaurants, for example at breakfast, the toast, butter and jam are located at three different parts of the main dining room. In the Brazilian restaurant, the meat courses come out in a particular order. By the time the meat comes out that you prefer to eat, your side dishes are cold. Other issues with this resort include: the deluxe room did not have any of the advertised items, which had to be requested and sent up by the staff; the carpets in the hallways were stained; things didn’t work from time to time including elevators, hot tub, room fridge, sauna and water refilling station. In closing: a friendly warning for couples that are booking a romantic vacation, note that this is a very family-friendly resort, meaning there is no place for those who are looking to celebrate a special romantic couples’ occasion which doesn’t have children crying at the next table. The resort could perhaps set aside one restaurant for adults-only? We loved Malta but will stay elsewhere next time.

3  Thank MagpieToronto
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This was our second time to the Seabank we spend two weeks for our Oct holiday's. On first impression we realised it was busier and wondered wether it would take away from the personal touch, but this was certainly not the case. The management and staff made sure our holiday was a fantastic one . Even when near the end if our holiday we lost a bag and ipod they tried their best to try and find it fir us. Special thanks to Stephen Gatt the excecutive chef , he goes that extra mile for customer care and made my two little girls feel like princesses throughout our stay , with some personal touches even though he has a very busy position.

Staff
From cleaner to management the service was excellent ,and their customer care was much appreciated , helping making your holiday experience a good one
the animation team were hardworking and fun , providing activities all day suiting various different ages , if you wished to partake, they then provided 6 night a week a mini disco and then a show afterwards, , I specifically enjoyed the Malta experience. The kids club was a hit with our girls and could be used between 10-1.30 , then 3pm til 5 pm Adela was naturally good at her job and well organised , Belinda motivated and promoted kids , thanks go to all the staff though
Domaniqua and Alex were worth their weight in gold , always enthusiastic , thanks to all the animation tea including entertainment manager Boris.

Catering and bar staff
Food in all the resturants delicious, I particularly liked the Laguna ( Mediterranean at night superb and not used as much as it should be ) I liked the Italian for lunch , tip try all the resturants if you can , something for everyone , bar staff and waiter friendly and hard working , especially when bush , they go flat out to keep you from waiting too long and keeping tab,es cleared and clean
The main resturant can get very busy at peek times. this is easy remedied just go earlier for breakfast and later for dinner

Malta & trips

It is a great island with loads to do and see , especially if you are into churches and history
I would recommend a visit to Mosta dome , Midina beautiful walled town very quaint , we went by horse and carriage a wee treat but my daughter loved it . Valletta is a must , we also visited the aquarium and if you have small kids is worth a visit ( it was built wi eu money ) it has a really modern safe play park next to it which my girls loved.
Our only disappointment was the blue lagoon , it was tacky and overcrowded , would not recommend this unless you don't mind commercialised trips

We will defiantly be returning to Mata it is a fab family holiday , and we would always choose the Seabank , thanks again for aiding to an absolutely fabulous holiday , well done all of Seabank

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The Seabank Hotel was one of the best if not the best we have stayed in over our many years of travel. It was kept spotlessly clean in all areas. The food was excellent as were the various restaurants we visited at no extra charge. The animation team were also excellent but how they managed to keep going day and night was amazing!! Well done.
Having stayed at various all inclusive hotels this one provided everything, safe-free of charge, water-free of charge, tea and coffee making facilites in fact nothing was too much trouble. The staff were very friendly and all seemed to be happy to work there. We stayed at the Riviera Palace in Marva Bay earlier in the year but it didn't come any where near the standard of the Seabank. Will certainly be going back next year.

1  Thank SMITHS001
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Was looking forward to this short break in this extensively refurbished hotel. It can be said that it is a new construction and from the outside the initial impression was favourable.

Check-in was almost without hassle. Room given to us immediately. Went to room and noticed the following:

Very Clean and spacious
TV has a decent selection of channels

However:
Window not sealed properly; noise and wind could enter room.
Ceiling fan unbearably noisy.
One of the two Dispensers in bathroom not working properly.
Mattress a bit too soft for my taste.

These did not bother me too much.

Package we booked as part of a group included two dinners, two lunches and two breakfasts. We had a special package which forbade us to dine in the varied restaurants of the hotel. We expected that and had no problems with this.We weren't expecting a full inclusive package at all.

We went for our first buffet. Food selection was quite varied but pretty bland in taste. Asked for a well done basic steak to be prepared on BBQ for my wife. It was rare when cut! I ate it instead as my companion went off it. What was irritating was that plates were never removed from our table and by the end of the evening the table had a pile of plates and cutlery. Many of the staff were foreign and could barely speak decent English. Photos not taken at this stage since I thought it’s was a one off.

First day breakfast was in the same room of the evening dinner. Typical English/continental breakfast. Nothing to comment about it. However a storm hit the area with heavy rain and throughout the hotel one could see water seeping and dripping from ceiling including in the dining room.We had breakfast with buckets with water dripping around us as well as staff mopping the floor regularly. Not a good sign for a newly constructed building.

Issues starting cropping up in the second evening dinner. We were told as a group to visit the dining room at 7:30. We actually were ‘allowed’ in at 8:00. We went to sit for a table and we were told to move because the table we chose “was for residents”. We asked “ain't we residents as well?” We ended up being moved three times till we had a table and than another two times whilst staff were setting a table for another huge group. Another couple who was in our group had their wine glasses removed from their table because they were needed by this large “full price paying group”. We had to settle for platic pic-nic style glasses. I would not take that and I just took a glass from the 'superior' residents' table and used it for my own use. I will not drink wine (which we had to pour from a dispenser not from a bottle or carafe) from a plastic cup.

Food was slightly better than first evening but nothing special. Asked for an explanation from general manager about these two issues who said that there was a misunderstanding and offered us a drink. We did not take it. He even made the waiter who told us that the tables are for residents to apologise for the misunderstanding not for the wrong choice of words. I sensed sarcasm in the tone of voice of the General Manager who was in the company of the F&B manager. He said "tomorrow we will give you VIP treatment". Was obviously not expecting this.

Sunday breakfast and the moments right after was the culmination of the non-experience. Room was dark, food was as the previous day. We sat on the same cheap plastic chairs and tables. Had once again plastic cups. A person complained and waiters were seen bringing normal glasses soon after. Somebody else complained at the inadequacy of the bread. It was probable stale or dry. I did not touch the bread so I can't couch for this detail. Soon after a waiter brings fresh bread on this person’s table. We were not allowed to have breakfast in the main dining room of the hotel (which was empty at that time) and were confined to this gloomy place which resembled more a snack bar than a dining area. In fact this area is used for morning snacks for people who prefer this to lunch.

This time we complained in an assertive way with the F&B manager telling him that we were not second rate guests at this hotel. He told us to complain to the group organisers who had accepted the conditions of the food areas. We told him that trip advisor would hear of this. He said “write wherever you want we have enough positive reviews on Trip Advisor”. I barely spoke to the F&B manager and only spoke with him when he tried to follow us inside the lift at the end of what my companion told him. I did not allow him to enter the lift as I did not want to talk with him further.

I say well done for ruining the reputation of the so called 4 star (!!??) resort! I say if the hotel is a truly four star hotel it would have never accepted to degrade the level of service offered to any group/individual because of special offers. The special offer was that we paid round 40euro less each person over a two night stay (as per Hotel website)

I had no problem in not going to various restaurants and not having a real all inclusive package during the stay (even though I would have paid the extra 40 euro). I will never accept to be told that a table or a glass is for residents. I will not accept that I or any group should be confined to a dark gloomy place for breakfast when main breakfast room is almost empty for all the rest of the residents of this hotel.

Another thing we were told was that the food would have been similar to other restaurants in the same hotel. I ask, is dining at a hotel or any other establishment all about the food? I can stuff myself with food in very cheap restaurants. Dining out is about an experience. It's about being given importance. I eat out regularly and I don't eat out because I'm hungry. I eat out to enjoy a relaxing evening with my wife. The food has to bee good but the atmosphere and overall experience need to be exquisite!

We checked out at 10am and forfeited the final prepaid buffet Sunday Lunch which was going to take place in the same gloomy area (It costed a good 26Euro per person for non residents). They could have offered us fresh lobster at this stage because we weren't ready to dine in that room again. We were too upset and annoyed at the lack of attention, customer care and segregation offered to us in this so called 4star hotel. 4 star hotels do not confine you to a "snack bar" for all your meals because your package was a special offer!

Hospitality is about making the resident as comfortable as possible (obviously within reason)
Problems with customer should be dealt with by solving the problem and not justifying wrong decisions (and offering a drink after)

Have a look at the photos I uploaded with my comments.

Room Tip: Rooms were very similar from what I saw
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
11  Thank DanielCordina
hubertdebono, General Manager at db Seabank Resort + Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Mr. Cordina,

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience at Seabank. I do apologise if things did not go as expected. Since the booking was made as a group and agreed on a different meal plan than the normal All Inclusive package, we had to make special arrangements that had been agreed with the group organiser in advance. The main reason for this was to accommodate everyone in the group in one area so you could all be together. In the main restaurant this would not have been achievable due to the high occupancy. I had made it a point to talk personally to most of the members of the group and all assured me that they had a great time and enjoyed the food and facilities.

We have already apologised about the inadequate comment passed by a member of staff that made you feel unwelcome and our intention was to make it up to you during Sunday lunch. Unfortunately you have left earlier.

The polycarbonate cups are available in all our restaurants and a choice of proper glass ones is always available at the beverage buffet.

I am sorry if our efforts did not meet your expectations and if there is anything we can do at this point to make it up to you please feel free to let me know. Nothing will give us more pleasure than to see you back at the Seabank where will do our utmost to ensure you will experience the great service we are renowned to provide.

Feel free to contact me personally if you wish to discuss matters further.

Best regards,
Hubert Debono

Reviewed 3 November 2013

The hotel has become one of the best hotels we have been to, not only in Malta. And it's not only because of its lovely premises and the services.
This was our 3rd stay and we feel like a part of the big family. The staff make you feel great. They appreciate your presence, they are very helpful and friendly. Starting from the manager Mr. Debono, through the supervisors, receptionists (Marion S. is exceptionally helpful and considerate), chefs and cooks, bar staff up to the cleaning staff, all are polite, friendly and welcoming. Their animation team is doing a wonderful job.
A great strategy from the hotel… in every hotel you could find some faults, however, it's the way they deal with the problems and how they make you feel that makes the difference. We felt like at home.
In our opinion, the food served has improved, the concept of different-styled restaurant works well.
The equipment (machines) in the gym could be modernized.
Thank you all for the great stay again. Can't wait to get back again!

Room Tip: Even though it's all inclusive resort, please appreciate the hard work of the hotel staff and re...
1  Thank NordicSun
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We were three Adults celebrating a special Birthday. Very helpful and pleasant staff. We had a problem with our first room, we thought it was too far from the lifts. We were quickly changed to another room, with an extra bedroom. Free wi fi in all areas. No complaints.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 6315 which had an extra room..we were three Adults. Great view of pool.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ireneobyrne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
#3 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Luna Holiday Complex
Luna Holiday Complex
#5 of 12 in Mellieha

Been to db Seabank Resort + Spa? Share your experiences!