“Not that relaxing”

db Seabank Resort + Spa
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Positives: the all inclusive is an all in inclusive. Water is available at all times, all drinks and food. No hidden costs. Reception is helpful. Rooms have fridge, decent hair dryer and a plug for your electric toothbrush. There are local supermarkets just across the road. Great boat trip with Oh Yeah boats for just 12 euros which saw the whole island. Negatives: this is not a relaxing holiday. The pool is a nightmare. The sunbeds are crammed in like sardines. You have to set an alarm and get up at 7 just to get a bed. You can't move the sunbeds because they are so packed in. There is no kid pool on it's own so it's full.. All day. Often the kids pooh in the pool and it needs to be closed. If they don't seperate little kids in this pool then the rule should be swim nappies! I have a 12 and 9 year old they even said it was disgusting with the pooh all the time. There is an adult pool but it's for over 16's. So we were stuck. It's so noisy and no relaxing can be done. Restaurant is like an army cook house. A rat race . Again not relaxing. You can book in 3 other restaurants which are better, so make sure you do . Evenings. It's hard to get a seat. Biggest problem : I think the hotel is being a bit greedy. Not only is it full with staying guests... They allow 'day all inclusive' in. There are lots and lots and lots of these . This causes the pool and restaurants to be crammed and it's not nice. There is simply TOO many maybe in busy periods they should not do this as it makes it a stressful experience for those who have paid over £5000 to stay ! Lastly we took my father who is fragile after car accident and disabled. He has a disabled room yet it is still a high bath he has to step into. They need walk in showers. Also because the pool is horrific he was unable to get in and swim with my children. He had to go to the adult pool as he would get hit in the other one. My kids were not allowed in ... So he couldn't enjoy swimming with them. Really really sad. I went to the manager to explain but there isn't much they can do. Seabank does need to have a think about whAt sort of holiday experience they are giving as I read reviews beforehand and my experience wasn't like that. It's not relaxing and there is nothing luxurious about it :-( going home for a rest as we still have a few days left here! :-(;;

• Stayed: August 2014
5  Thank pinksparklyglitter
Write a ReviewReviews (6,388)

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I have just returned from a 7 day break with 5 other adults. There were many positives to our stay such as the friendly staff, the clean modern rooms, spacious bathroom and the beach opposite. However this hotel is very family orientated and there is little to do for adults. There is an adult only pool, however this is far too small and was unclean towards the end of our holiday. There was also an issue with the wasps around the pool. A few of us got stung as there was so many. The evening entertainment was very poor. In addition there was no adult only bar. There are several restaurants to choose from, however you need to prebook these in advance and upon arrival we could only get into 3. The buffet was hit and miss - most of the meat was pork. We were aware that this was a large all inclusive hotel, however we felt there wasn't enough pool or bar areas to cope with the amount of people at the hotel. Malta is a gorgeous place and we loved the surrounding area - the walk up to the nearest village is uphill but was worth it (you can get a bus for €1.50). On the whole I would highly recommend this hotel if you have children but not if you are an all adult party.

Room Tip: Avoid a corner suite they have small balconies.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank rachp1985
hubertdebono, General Manager at db Seabank Resort + Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear rachybaby,
Thank you for your review and especially for recommending our hotel to families as this is our prime market during the school holiday season. Nonetheless, our resort caters very well for couples or parties of all ages. The adult pool has it's own adults only bar and at night, our adult guests are invited to proceed with our animators to the Maya Beach Club across the road.
In all our restaurants we have a varied menu and whilst it is true that pork features daily, this is only one of the different meats available.
We are glad to read that you loved Malta and the hotel surroundings. Thank you for commending our friendly staff and modern rooms. Should you plan to visit the island again we will be more than happy if you would give us another try.
Always welcome.
Hubert Debono

Reviewed 13 August 2014

If you want a Mediterranean sand beach, relaxing atmosphere, good-quality hotel with excellent food and service-minded staff, this is a place to go.

Very clean spacious rooms with good standard, convenient location near the sea with good bus connections to Bugibba, Valletta, etc. Very friendly staff.

The food is great, both when it comes to variety and taste. The cuisine can definitely be placed on a higher level than you can expect of all-inclusive restaurants. The menu offers traditional Maltese as well as international cuisine. Very delicious desserts.
Special thanks to the kitchen team, who showed high professionalism when helping us to choose the food for our allergic son.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank tanh909
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The holiday and wedding we were there for was brilliant. Food very good and varied we ate in all the restaurants and always found lots to eat! Very clean and housekeeping very efficient. Drinks and entertainment superb . In the evening the bar staff did get slightly tipsy too but it added to the fun, all the main staff willing to help. One evening we hadn't got enough chairs outside the dome and within seconds of asking one of the staff he bought enough chairs and an extra table. Although the hotel was fully booked you could always get a seat at tables for meals and by the pool. The children's entertainer who rode a unicycle around making balloon animals and swords was great and always had time to make the moment special ,my granddaughter loved the dogs he made.
Four negatives though; wasps ,but nothing you can do - hotel tried to keep them at bay by regularly washing down surfaces(although some of the waitresses from the laguna were terrified of them and hit them in the direction of us)hotel did their best .The influx of day people,- too many allowed in we frequently saw people with no bands accessing the amenities but on my last day did actually witness a person being told to leave. The childrens play area was tired and dangerous, there was bits of metal flaking off the climbing frames by the pool and the netting in the soft play was very worn allowing children to get head and limbs trapped. (Although my grandaughter loved them we closely supervised her when she used them as we are aware safety regs are different abroad)The final thing, probably the main one ,was the booking of rooms when we arrived- my room was brilliant can't fault it but two other families in our group (21 in total staying at the hotel) had to have their rooms changed as they weren't what had been booked. We heard of several others having room changes because of same problem. At first we thought it was our tour agent but actually I think it was the hotel found it difficult to cope in high season.
However despite this I had a brilliant time and would happily recommend the hotel and most of the staff, I would love to revisit in the future.

Room Tip: corner rooms seem to have the better balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank elsielouise
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We've booked Seabank for my wife's birthday and it was not cheap so the expectations were high from the start.

Did it deliver?

It set a new benchmark for us for a good all-inclusive holiday.

Nice staff - db Seabank if you are listening, our stay was made perfect by the staff. Starting from booking/reception, through kids club, waiting staff finishing with housemaids. During the whole week there we only met one slightly grumpy member of staff. It looks like you are caring for your staff, continue to do so and we may look where you have other hotels in the db group :)
It did look that the staff got a bit more stressed with the start of the proper season, and all the surveys we were asked to fill did not really help the guests or staff, but this was a minor thing.

Great choice of food.
Great room and bed - I am 6'6" (that's 2m for most of the word) I could fit on our bed in any direction, this does not happen to me often.
Great location - easy to get the bus, go to the beach, great dive centre near by (Bezz Diving).
Very good kids club - it was the first time ever we left our daughter with a kids club for any amount of time, and it is only because she enjoyed it so much.
Good choice of swimming pools
Adults only area - we never really went there, but all the adults that don't like kids splashing in the water, etc. could go there.
Our housemaid always had a few seconds to talk to us passing by wishing us good day, etc. That what customer service is all about.

All the little things, like a tiny birthday cake with birthday wishes that my wife got count!

Seabank thanks again for facilitating our great holiday this year!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank ZBH
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned from 10 days at the Seabank with my family, it was totally enjoyable.The hotel is very large and was packed during our stay, many nationalities but brits in the majority. Huge pool but NO issues with sunbeds and no one putting towels out at 6am! There is an adults only section above the main pool which we used a lot as our son is 16 which put him as an adult, after 5pm I often had this pool to myself, bliss. There are wasps and flies everywhere, mainly due to folks leaving their all inclusive drinks by their sunbeds. Take your drink / glass back to the bar when finished and wasps will go too! If I were a Maltese wasp I would head straight to the Seabank.
Food was the best at any all inclusive I have visited, excellent and never ending, if that's what you want.
Drinks were weak, but hay ho you can get another. We were not too keen on the Brazilian restaurant but thought the Italian excellent. Having the option to try other restaurants on site within the all inclusive banner was great.
Situated directly opposite the main beach on Malta, you have to cross a road, the beach is a big plus. Loads to do on the beach, many watersports and beach kiosks. The water was warm and its very gently shelving so great for the kids. No jelly fish either though they were not far away as I found them whilst on a kayak .
Summer days the beach is packed but loads of space in the water and all the locals come down for bbqs in the evening. Nowhere much for your evening stroll 200 yards in either direction and your about done but that was a minor flaw. Rooms very spacious and QUIET, once the doors were closed we heard nothing and our room was close to the dome where the energetic and very cheesy entertainment team provided the evening entertainment.
Almost everyday there is a bride and groom tip toeing past all the bronzing bodies, this is wedding central and I have to say I found it strange that the formal ceremonies took place so close to everyone else, not my problem though.
All staff were polite and friendly. We booked directly with the hotel, upon reflection not sure I got the best deal possible, however the included taxi transfer was appreciated and I would not hesitate to recommend the Seabank for a family holiday in the sun

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank afcb0k
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I spent a week there. Delicious food, variety of cuisine, great service and friendly staff. The room with the balcony /park and pool view/ was very clean and comfortable. Location of the hotel is out of the rushed city center /cca 1,5 hour bus drive from the airport/, the bus stop in front of the hotel. So it was easy for us to do our own trips round the island. The beach is cross the street, but most of the time I spent relaxing by the pool. Great animation program for the guests. Bicycle rent possibility. We spent great relaxing holiday in the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Katarina G
Victoria D, Manager at db Seabank Resort + Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Katarina G,

On behalf of all the db Seabank team, I would like to thank you for your five star review. We are happy to read that you enjoyed Mellieha and your one week stay at Seabank. All our staff will certainly appreciate your praise especially our animation team. In regards to dining, we are so glad to read that we met your expectations.

Once again, thank you for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Always Welcome,

Victoria Debono
Assistant General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Paradise Bay Resort Hotel
Mellieha Bay Hotel
Mellieha Bay Hotel
#9 of 12 in Mellieha

Been to db Seabank Resort + Spa? Share your experiences!