“A simple hotel, well kept and well run.”

Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Belfast, United Kingdom
“A simple hotel, well kept and well run.”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

A nice, simple hotel. I booked with Chevron (Malta & Gozo holiday specialist): very low price offer: just under £200, 1 week, 1 person and no single supplement, incl. breakfast, return regional flights, transfers inclusive. I decided to pay extra for a 10 day break, half board for 7 nights of the 10, a welcome pack with platter and drinks, and to upgrade to garden side room. The price was still very reasonable.

I didn't actually make the flight at the beginning of the 10 days, as I was too ill to go. Later that day, I was pleased to find out Chevron opened on Saturdays, and I phoned them and asked could I buy my own flight for Monday, and still take the return flight. Chevron were excellent, phoning me back a few times within the hour or so, confirming my return flight was still valid, confirming accommodation, telling me I could go ahead and purchase a flight, then taking the details of my flight for the complimentary airport transfer. (Very efficient and pleasant, and I think were offering to book a new flight if I hadn't had one on an open web page, ready to book myself.)

I managed to make the now 7 day break on the new flight. (The driver was waiting for me at the airport in Malta, after I bought at the duty free.)

At the hotel, the lady checking me in was polite, efficient and welcoming. I'd been worried about staying in the annexe across the road, as I'd read about damp and mildew. That's why I paid more for a room in the reception building. When booking, I said I had very frequent migraines, requesting a quiet room. I was given a room with a balcony at the end of a coridor, on the top floor. (Very quiet this time of year, though might be noisier in season, as just below the roof terrace and pool). The hotel was very accommodating.

The room was nice and simple, as expected from the photos. It was nice, mostly no surprises, and everything straightforward. For one person staying this was a very spacious room, spacious for 2, even 3 with a child's folding bed (4 not bad!). The only thing was one small, little bit of mildew near the balcony doors, around the ceiling, It wasn't bad. I sympathise, it must be hard to keep a check on. This is one of the dampest areas I've stayed in (this time of year). It's very close to the sea, with a big rise where the wet sea air ascends, clinging to the growth and soil in a green vale along the centre of the rise, and a high point that kind of blocks in the damp in the vale, letting it stay just around this hotel. The hotel is between old style high rise streets also, sealing in this damp vale. I live by the sea and I know how strongly damp can control an area, making remedy hard.

The air-conditioning seemed good, and heated the room very well quickly. With my sickness, I can feel awful if it's too (normally) warm, or too cold, so it was great to have very quicky, reliable control. There was no need to worry about keeping the air-conditioning at a chosen temperature when leaving the room. That would have been a waste of energy - the room warms up in 3 minutes or less, choosing a high temperature, then you're able to lower it.

Balcony - lovely, nice pool view. Fridge with mini-bar, great for putting your own orange juice and wine, beer & bottled water from shops (bottled water a necessity here). Bathroom - simple, clean and basically pleasant to use. Room storage, excellent, including safe which just about took my 16 or so inch wide screen laptop. (Guest reviews told me that this and neighbouring hotels had had break-ins, though I was on the top floor). Room comfort - very good - tables, indoor and out, seating - comfortable. TV had a few English channels, not many.

The only problem that there wasn't a plug near the bed for a laptop. I'd to pull the power supply tight, sitting in on a chair and then the laptop on a chair 1.5 metres from the bed just to watch a DVD on my laptop. Malta uses UK plugs and sockets. These were in the room but the bedside lamps had their own, old style round 3 prong plugs (like I've found in an older hotel in Dublin not long ago.) That's quite a big negative point, actually, not having a socket anywhere near the bed. Business guests needing to use their computers, would be obliged to work only at the table or long console.

Internet is wireless and paid - but very cheap. You pay for 24 hours at, I can't remember, 6 or 7 Euros. But that's likely to do you for the week - it's 24 hours anytime within the week - or two purchases would probably be enough even for business guests for a week. Just log in and out with the same details from the one purchase (remembering to log off each time). Laptop internet at the bar, restaurant, spa, pool, etc. then comes under this one purchase.

Lobby bar - comfortable. Added bonus was the hot mulled wine this time of year, warming on the grand piano! Only 2 Euros something. The main barman was helpful, very talkative and knew everthing about the area if you wanted to learn. He also seemed to be a point of interest for some guests, as the bar was mostly empty this time of year. Unfortunate that only Saturday had music from the pianist this time of year, but actually the bar was very quiet, so understandable. However, I thought the bistro - restaurant - bar downstairs, which remains popular this time of year, with guests and locals, could do with a little upright piano or keyboard in the corner, and a performer. It's a very nice bistro bar, for groups, families, couples and singles alike, but that it had TV news in English (BBC I think) playing all the time. It's a nice place, so I thought they ought to do more with live background music a few nights a week, even in January, and good taped music other times.

The smaller hotel sports bar across the road in their other building, in a traditional bar style - is nice for younger and older people - quarter bottles of wine only 2 Euros, very nice, and so hard to stop.

Buffet - only open at weekends this time of year. The food was lovely. I'm vegetarian, and though selection of main courses was very limited, there certainly was enough to have me enjoy 3 courses with side. Lovely food, great value for money, nice dining room, lovely staff.

The rest of the week, this time of year, half board dinner is in the bistro. Nice food, nice place, busy, but the staff are pleasant. However, service is often slow, even with a good number of waiters. For vegetarians, choice is not good - only a couple of pizzas and pasta dishes, but then I never got around to informing reception of my special diet, as they request. So I guess things would be better if I had. I didn't mind, because I really enjoyed the few main course offerings at the bistro - one pizza I really wanted to have on 3 nights, and I did.

Breakfast - great, large choice, eat as much as you want. Lovely dining room in the morning light, looking onto a bit of garden, nice food, lovely, pleasant staff. Lovely breakfasts. The staff were so pleasant, and made more pleasant things like taking my coffee outside to the garden and pool when I had finished otherwise.

Spa - very nice indeed mostly. A real let down, though, is the jacuzzi. It's like a cold puddle. No, not like, it is a cold puddle. A good deal colder than the indoor swimming pool beside it. The indoor pool is smallish, but big enough to do a litle swimming. It's a nice, warm temperature. The jacuzzi is a joke. Jets are less than a tickle, and it's freezing anyway. Would have some good function if near the sauna, but it's on a different floor, a distance out of the lower spa, up the stairs (or the lift) to the pool area. The hotel has the basic for a jacuzzi, but needs to add jets or good bubbles, and heat the water a lot. It's pointless currently.

Sauna - nice. Steam room - nice. Relaxation room - nice. Treatments - very nice and, while not too cheap, not at unaffordable prices with the guest discount voucher given at check-in. I had a head message especially for migraine sufferers, very good; general reflexology, this was lovely and very helpful; and a spinola detoxifying body wrap which was really lovely and well worth the price.

The spa closed 15 minutes earlier than the hotel reception and room booklet said, each day. Until near the end of my stay I thought the staff in the spa meant that you had to be in the changing room 15 minutes before the printed closing time - but they meant you had to leave. They got a bit angry with me one day, pointing at a watch that it was 4 minutes past the hour, a standard and acceptable time to walk out the door of a centre, as someone who has been a member of a few of these. (And you'd think of a hotel where one is staying.) But they meant I was fifteen minutes late, though weren't at all clear in saying why for most of my stay. I didn't understand. I don't understand why they close 15 minutes before the hotel says they do. And then, why they don't realise that it seems they're only suggesting people to go to the changing room 15 minutes before the hour, and leave at or around the hour (as humanly possible).

Otherwise, the spa was very good, but the toilets in the gents changing room didn't flush and smelt a lot, and, even after complaints, the only working shower in the gents wasn't replenished with their shower gel. That meant filling up hands from out at the sinks - it took ages, and was the reason for my lateness!! Not my fault!!!

Smelly toilets, but worth it for the sauna and steam room.

Generally, a nice and well run hotel. Some problems in the spa, and there isn't the same level of professionalness as at reception.

The hotel makes a good budget spa destination for a week. If you're not driving, in the low season, this is the best idea, as there's little to do around here otherwise, nothing in the hotel in the daytimes after the 2 sunny hours, and really, nothing much nearby at all. It is a nice area, but to stay in it, it's a spa hotel break that makes sense most. That was why I booked, though, so I was pleased.

But a recommendation for the hotel. It was nice and the staff did their jobs very well, as I want to try other Maritim hotles in Europe, now. I'm not particularly attracted to Mellieha (which IS nice for a quiet break, though) or actually Malta, myself, so it's good to have the inspiration of other locations in the hotel group. I'm pleased I went, a visit to Malta is a nice thing in low season, but it's not really the place for me.

Finally - I was suprised you can sunbathe in late January. I had 2 hours beside the pool from 11 a.m., just after breakfast, and though cool to cold other times, in only shorts, it was lovely and warm in the sun.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank factual5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Had a lovely stay from 19th - 26th Feb 2012. Well furnished quality hotel situated on the main street of mellieha. check in was a breeze, we arrived at noon and there was no quibble as to check in time, only issues were the directions to our room were very confusing! Didnt realise when we were going through the "tunnel" that our room was accross the road! If they had said that at reception it would have made more sense, nevertheless we found our room eventually! Very spacious room, gorgeous decor, big comfy bed, and an added bonus of a kettle with brewing up stuff :) Very quiet this time of year but plenty of shops n restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, albeit up a bit of a hill! breakfast was plentiful and sumptious., lots of choice of cereals, fruit, yogurts, ,meats, cheese, variety of bread and cakes, plus the full cooked breakfast, nothing you could have thought of wasnt there really! Easy access to the bus stop right outside the hotel, where you can buy a weekly pass for 12euros and ride anywhere in malta, we went all over the island, and as the weather wasnt too good on some days, we spent a couple of days bus hopping which was good fun. Close to the ferry, go to Gozo for the day and jump on the tour bus, cheap day out, All in all we had a lovely week and would recommend this 4* hotel without hesitation.

5 Thank julie f
Okehampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2012

This is an impressive hotel in many ways. Check-in and out was a doddle and very efficient. The first impressions of the reception areas were very positive and the care and attentiveness of the staff were among the best we've experienced anywhere (with one small exception). From reception staff to chambermaids to those in the breakfast dining room, everyone was friendly and very helpful. The exception was the only male receptionist we encountered who was dismissive and unhelpful when we complained about our room being cold. However, his female colleague later sorted the problem out in minutes with charm and courtesy. The reception staff later sorted out a potential problem with our return transfer arrangements and made sure we were kept informed.

Our room in the block across the road from the main building was spacious, very clean and well-equipped. It was kept immaculate by the delightful chambermaids. However, the low energy bulbs in all the lights meant the room was very dim. Reading in bed was almost impossible. The outside temperature reached a max of 15 deg C during our stay - much cooler at night and our room was quite cold. The air-con did not provide any heat and consequently we were quite uncomfortable - at night it got really quite cold and we had trouble sleeping even with the duvets supplied. After a few days we got fed up and complained. After a less than helpful response from one of the reception staff we were given a fan heater which made things much better. Another niggle was the lack of any curtain or screen around the bath/shower. This meant lots of water splashed over the floor despite us taking care. So our beautiful, stylish bathroom was impractical to an extent. Loads of hot water at all times, though.

Getting to and from the main reception, dining room, etc necessitated a trip through the legendary tunnel. We did not have any problem with this other than trying to remember which floor we needed in the two lifts. Even after a week we still had to refer to the signs posted inside the lifts.

We used the spa's steam room and sauna only once. The staff were as pleasant and helpful as elsewhere in the hotel though the facilities were not as nice as we've experienced in other spa hotels. Some people who used the 'heated' pool said it was OK 'once you got in' suggesting it was not that warm after all.

We were staying on a B&B basis and we found the food very acceptable. Plenty of cereals, breads, etc as well as an omelette chef and hot bacon, sausage, etc. Coffee/tea was served at the table in thermos jugs; unfortunately it was little more than warm every time which I found a bit disappointing.

There are bus stops immediately outside the hotel with regular buses to Valetta (about 50-60 minutes) or north to the bay/beach and the ferry for Gozo (15 minutes). Nearby restaurants and bars serve a variety of cuisines at reasonable prices.

Traffic noise can be noticeable from early in the morning, about 5.30, though how much of a problem this is will depend on the location of your room and how sensitive you are to it.

Would we stay at the Maritim again? Yes, definitely, though we'd probably check the air-con/heating worked first.

Room Tip: To avoid traffic noise, ask for a room away from the main road.
1 Thank Essgeebee
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Returned last Sat from a week long stay with our 6 year old. Had a great stay and couldn't have asked for anything else from the hotel. Got a superb deal on Travel Republic - especially considering it was half term.

The hotel is very swish as you pull up to it. There was a pianist playing in the bar next to the reception area as we walked in - it was all lovely. Room was lovely - on 6th floor with a view of the beautiful church and the sea! Every staff member was so friendly - they are really great with kids. Food at breakfast was good and we also ate in the Al Ponte Bistro which belongs to the hotel - we really enjoyed this.

Indoor pool was only one we used due to weather - small but nice. We found the area around the hotel very quiet which suited us but I imagine it's busier in the summer. There are a few nice restaurants just up the hill - mainly italian and very good. Also perfectly located for the 41 bus to Valletta which was our absolute favourite place. The bus journey is a hour but you get to see quite a bit of the island on the way.

Only criticism is the one made by a previous poster - room cleaning. While the room itself was perfectly clean, the cleaner did not take used glasses. We had brought juice in our case from home and the used glasses stayed in the bathroom every day so we needed to rinse them out. Not a big deal but an annoyance.

Overall, completely recommended. Super hotel.

Room Tip: We asked for a high floor. We did wonder if we would get 'the tunnel' as we got such a great...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Laura C
Valletta, Malta
Reviewed 20 February 2012

A good weekend break. Hotel room very spacious (standard room) and very clean. Staff is great. Internet from the room with some problems. Breakfast very good buffet with ample choice. Dinner very good as well. Car garage very limited and very weird to drive into as it is dug in very deep under the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floors very quiet. Very good value for money hotel. Could easily be compared to a 5...
2 Thank Rene_Malta
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We just returned from this hotel yesterday. (feb18th) We had a fantastic stay and couldnt complain about anything re. the hotel. It is a warm, clean, comfy hotel offering a wide range of facilities. While we were unfortunate with the weather we could use the indoor pool, steam room and sauna etc. which was excellent. The rooms are comfortable, although we got a small enough one. It was well kitted out and was very modern and serviced each day. The staff were very welcoming, and we enjoyed the Bars and Restaurants the hotel had to offer. The pool on the roof and the pool in the garden area were very nice. Breakfast was fine.
The only complaint i have is the smell in the underground tunnel which i can understand, and the staff really do try their best to keep it to a minimum. All in all we had a great stay at the Maritim. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Try to avoid getting a room through the underground tunnel as its quite a bit away, i think they are...
2 Thank 21shaunap21
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We booked through Expedia and got a very good deal during Feb half term.
GOOD POINTS: clean, pleasant surroundings, readily available free parking. Free unlimited use of the gym and spar was a bonus. All you can eat buffet breakfast was good in my opinion. Spacious rooms.

BAD POINTS: this may be a matter of opinion, but I can't stand coffee that's not boiling hot. Coffee here is about the temperature of a swimming pool! (may be a good point if you like it like that!)
I agree with the comments of bad smell in the tunnel, but it's not a big deal as you're only in it for about 10 seconds.
I was disappointed with the dinner in the hotel itself, although others informed us that their experiences were excellent. Perhaps we caught them on an off night.
Our kettle fused the surrounding rooms (much to our amusement). They did, however, replace it without being asked to within 24 hours.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra to get a superior room with a view, otherwise you might get one which overlooks t...