I would choose this hotel again despite its foibles, if only for its location alone. Perfectly positioned at the top of the road down to Mellieha Bay or at the bottom of the main street through Mellieha town (depends on how you look at it, Mellieha afterall is on an elevated position overlooking the sea). It is so close to everything and yet far enough from the sunburnt crowd along the beach. We stayed here for 8 nights, 4 people in 2 rooms, on the 6th floor of the main building - nice view of the sea and cliffs from our balcony, looking down on to the hotel pool (this is the 'quiet' eastern facing side). Not familiar with the quality of other hotels in Malta, this hotel suited our needs: nice staff, always friendly and obliging, the rooms have ample space, there are 3 lifts working in good order, lots of reliable hot water, big beds (though a tad on the soft side) with lovely plump pillows (perfect actually, don't you just hate super soft pillows which give you a neck ache at the end of the night?), supercool air conditioning, generous breakfast buffet (so much choice! After 8 days however, bread and butter would have suited me...), free wifi (frustratingly slow in the higher floors but OK in the lobby and restaurant), and oh, the most well-equipped hotel gym i've ever been to (more on this later). The restaurants associated with the hotel are great, we found lots of excuses to drop by Al Ponte almost everyday even just for a pizza or a cup of coffee and one of their scrumptious desserts (love the profiteroles!) or for a gelato after dinner. The cocktail bar in the lobby is such a welcoming space in the afternoon just to relax while we negotiate which of the many excellent restaurants along the main street we will dine for the night. I got hooked on the Bermuda Shorts (6 euros), just watching the barman prepare it was a delight. The al fresco BayBliss restaurant on the rooftop is absolutely the best place for dinner - sipping a lovely glass of wine while waiting for our order of ever so tasty Thai dishes as we watch the sunset change the colour of the buildings into various hues of red then to purple must be one of my favourite memories of Mellieha. And the prices were not that bad either!
My only gripe of this place is the fact that the gym does not open till 9am, whhhaaatt? Who goes to the gym this late in the morning when at this time most guests would already be done with breakfast and away on their activities, be it sightseeing, diving etc?? As an early morning gym person I had a rather traumatic experience on our first day when without checking the opening hours and assuming that it is like other hotels, I went down to the gym (which is located in the basement) at 6am. I came out of the lift into complete darkness, the gym was closed, no lights, the lift doors closed behind me and suddenly it was pitch black, i couldn't find the lift buttons again, OMG it was soooo dark, now i know what it's like to be blind. Tried not to panic. Must have spent more than 5 minutes feeling the walls around looking for the lift button. Then sometime later the lift came down again and the door opened and it was my friend! He wanted to go to the gym too! Oh what a relief, he was my hero, we jammed the lift door with a water bottle so we could see where the gym entrance was to check opening hours, no info so we went back up to the lobby and asked. It really didn't make sense at all, all good hotels we've been to had gyms which opened either 24-hours or early. Having said that when we finally made it to the gym (before dinner, such a hard choice to make, cocktails or a work out?), the place was impressive, so many machines and equipment, all in good condition, you could spend hours down there and not have to do the same set twice. By the way ladies, this is still a man's gym, the free weights are ginormous, and i had to stand on the seat just to pull the bar down for the lat pulldown! Not too worry though, there's 5 treadmills, 3 bikes, 2 cross-trainers, 2 stepping thingos, 3 rowers etc, you'll be spoiled for choice. For a holiday hotel like this (where lazing around the pool is de rigeur) having such a well equipped gym is most commendable and yet, it opens so late in the morning!!!
All in all, I think this is a very good hotel in this part of Malta. Apart from the strange opening hours of the gym and the quirky lifts (could never remember that the Ground Floor is on Level 3!), if we ever come back to Malta, we'd definitely stay in Mellieha again, and choose this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Maritim Antonine Hotel and Spa, a supreme 4 star hotel, perched on a perfect spot overlooking the terraced hillsides, from which one can enjoy breathtaking panoramic views and unwind for a few days in luxury.Here at the Maritim we provide the best services for the best price in Malta. That’s our guarantee.The Maritim is nestled in the small picturesque town of Mellieha and is a sumptuous retreat for the business traveller, or a luxurious indulgence if you want to spoil yourself or a loved one. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Alpha Holidays Limited, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Stayforlong S.L., Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maritim Antonine Hotel Mellieha
- Maritim Antonine Hotel And Spa
- Maritim Antonine Resort
- Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa Malta/Mellieha