“A very good hotel in an excellent location - ticks all the boxes”

Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I would choose this hotel again despite its foibles, if only for its location alone. Perfectly positioned at the top of the road down to Mellieha Bay or at the bottom of the main street through Mellieha town (depends on how you look at it, Mellieha afterall is on an elevated position overlooking the sea). It is so close to everything and yet far enough from the sunburnt crowd along the beach. We stayed here for 8 nights, 4 people in 2 rooms, on the 6th floor of the main building - nice view of the sea and cliffs from our balcony, looking down on to the hotel pool (this is the 'quiet' eastern facing side). Not familiar with the quality of other hotels in Malta, this hotel suited our needs: nice staff, always friendly and obliging, the rooms have ample space, there are 3 lifts working in good order, lots of reliable hot water, big beds (though a tad on the soft side) with lovely plump pillows (perfect actually, don't you just hate super soft pillows which give you a neck ache at the end of the night?), supercool air conditioning, generous breakfast buffet (so much choice! After 8 days however, bread and butter would have suited me...), free wifi (frustratingly slow in the higher floors but OK in the lobby and restaurant), and oh, the most well-equipped hotel gym i've ever been to (more on this later). The restaurants associated with the hotel are great, we found lots of excuses to drop by Al Ponte almost everyday even just for a pizza or a cup of coffee and one of their scrumptious desserts (love the profiteroles!) or for a gelato after dinner. The cocktail bar in the lobby is such a welcoming space in the afternoon just to relax while we negotiate which of the many excellent restaurants along the main street we will dine for the night. I got hooked on the Bermuda Shorts (6 euros), just watching the barman prepare it was a delight. The al fresco BayBliss restaurant on the rooftop is absolutely the best place for dinner - sipping a lovely glass of wine while waiting for our order of ever so tasty Thai dishes as we watch the sunset change the colour of the buildings into various hues of red then to purple must be one of my favourite memories of Mellieha. And the prices were not that bad either!

My only gripe of this place is the fact that the gym does not open till 9am, whhhaaatt? Who goes to the gym this late in the morning when at this time most guests would already be done with breakfast and away on their activities, be it sightseeing, diving etc?? As an early morning gym person I had a rather traumatic experience on our first day when without checking the opening hours and assuming that it is like other hotels, I went down to the gym (which is located in the basement) at 6am. I came out of the lift into complete darkness, the gym was closed, no lights, the lift doors closed behind me and suddenly it was pitch black, i couldn't find the lift buttons again, OMG it was soooo dark, now i know what it's like to be blind. Tried not to panic. Must have spent more than 5 minutes feeling the walls around looking for the lift button. Then sometime later the lift came down again and the door opened and it was my friend! He wanted to go to the gym too! Oh what a relief, he was my hero, we jammed the lift door with a water bottle so we could see where the gym entrance was to check opening hours, no info so we went back up to the lobby and asked. It really didn't make sense at all, all good hotels we've been to had gyms which opened either 24-hours or early. Having said that when we finally made it to the gym (before dinner, such a hard choice to make, cocktails or a work out?), the place was impressive, so many machines and equipment, all in good condition, you could spend hours down there and not have to do the same set twice. By the way ladies, this is still a man's gym, the free weights are ginormous, and i had to stand on the seat just to pull the bar down for the lat pulldown! Not too worry though, there's 5 treadmills, 3 bikes, 2 cross-trainers, 2 stepping thingos, 3 rowers etc, you'll be spoiled for choice. For a holiday hotel like this (where lazing around the pool is de rigeur) having such a well equipped gym is most commendable and yet, it opens so late in the morning!!!

All in all, I think this is a very good hotel in this part of Malta. Apart from the strange opening hours of the gym and the quirky lifts (could never remember that the Ground Floor is on Level 3!), if we ever come back to Malta, we'd definitely stay in Mellieha again, and choose this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for room in the main building facing the pool it has a nice view of the sea and houses on the cl...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,686)

Reviewed 17 July 2014

For a 4 star hotel this hotel had everything. Garden view room which was kept clean at all times. Lovely 2 pools, 2 good restaurants and 2 very good bars. Staff very friendly, yet very well drilled, and the hotel manager approaching us and asking if he could do anything for us was appreciated. Will surely be back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alla M
MaritimMalta, Guest Relations Manager at Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and warranting us with your 5 Star rating. Every little helps as they say.

We wish you a wonderful Christmas and look forward to having the pleasure in welcoming you back with us in the near future, should you choose to book again.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Please read all has average could of easily been very good.
Check in was good no issues, we had a deluxe garden view room which i thought was ok, but could of done with a few more hangers and a bit more storage space. Kept clean at all times.
In my opinion breakfast was below average, weak dilute juice, toaster that took in excess of 5 minutes to toast, which then came out hard, and bacon that i would not like to describe.
Evening meals were very good and plenty of choice, I am a fussy eater but still managed to eat something 7 out of the 8 nights we ate in there and missed once to eat somewhere else, due to not liking what was on offer, (used master wok 330 yards up the hill on the same side, Chinese meal was excellent & reasonably priced, 36 euro for starter and main and drinks)
Bars in the hotel were adequate and the prices were reasonable,entertainment on every night and service from all staff was excellent.
My main moan is what appears to have already been said, we were going to eat in the Al Ponte restaurant as we had read on the website & and also in the hotel booklet that if we were Half Board, we could eat in there with a discount, I enquired and the chap at reception stated we could if we booked the previous day, but would only get a 8 euro per person reduction, (which i thought was a bit mean as they were charging nearly 14 euros in Les Jardins). The following morning i thought i would go and book, but the lady in reception told me that it was not available any-more and it was wrong what had been printed (I can only assume this is what they are told to say by the Management) because I thought what a load of rubbish, but like an old fool I could not be bothered to argue, but what i would like to say, I personally believe in honesty and I can only assume if the hotel cant adhere to what it says in its write up what else are they willing to try and get out of.
The hotel had 2 outdoor pools and both were clean and had plenty of beds, even though towels were left on for nearly 3 hours unattended, just to be ignored by security.
The hotel is on a steep hill, so anybody who has walking difficulties might struggle but there is a bus stop within 50 yards and if used efficiently makes life easier (a bus ticket only costs 1.50 euro for all day or 6.50 for all week), don't moan about reception staff, for wrong or no bus numbers use the tourist information office just over the road, Karen could not do enough for us, and the same goes for Rita at Supreme travel right next to the hotel.
Valletta is worth a visit but you will need 2 days, (5D experience was worth the 9 euros, St Johns Cathedral) and plenty of heritage places but do your home work as we found that we should have bought the complete pass ticket as there are plenty of places all over the island,
Mosta dome is worth a visit, Gozzo site tour was adequate, and the boat trip to Comino and the Blue Lagoon was worth the 10 euro return but be aware the cave trip they promise you is not available till after 12.30pm
Would I return to Malta, probably yes but not for a while. Would i return to the Maritim, I would have to sit on the fence because as I stated I do like honesty and I felt it was not there, AND FOR THIS I CAN ONLY BLAME THE MANAGEMENT.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms with a garden view were very good but like anything decent it comes at a premium. Air c...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank crewerailwayman
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed here for four nights in June. The hotel is well located in the centre of mellieha. It is split into two in that some rooms are on the right side of the road and judging by the photograph in the lift of the rooms it does appear they deserve the 4 star status. Warning you may be located over the road which is accessed by a damp smelly tunnel and really our room would struggle to attract a two star status. We were above the bar and were subject to very noisy evenings where you would struggle to sleep. There was no balcony and the room was showing signs of wear and tear. The breakfast and other facilities were fine but I would never risk going there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank 907Helen
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We booked a deluxe room with double bed & 2 twin beds. There was nothing deluxe about it & it came with twin beds & a small sofa bed not adequate for our party. We arrived late & the reception desk offered us a 2nd room for the night. The following day, reservations refused to change the room or refund us despite their own staff telling us that the hotel policy would not have allowed a party of our size to book that room. They also asked for payment for the 2nd room given to us for the 1st night. We asked for a price to have a 2nd room for the duration of our stay but this was never given to us. We ended up finding alternate accommodation & splitting our party between the two hotels.
Staff in the restaurant were very helpful as were housekeeping but reception staff were not. We asked for information on buses and were told where the bus stop was but no bus numbers or times. We asked for vouchers for the other restaurant as we were halfboard but were told we couldn't have them despite the information pack stating we could. We did receive them once we had pointed this out. I wouldn't stay there again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed In june what a lovely clean hotel bathrooms spotless, the night manager was very efficient, polite and courteous. I work in this industry and I cannot say in words the hotel is great from start to finish. The restaurant manager was great, food was good and the staff are not intrusive.
Having stayed in malta before, this hotel had made me want to return. The first went to malta we were not that impressed. But the welcome we got wants us to return. We got a great deal as we booked in may, hope they have the same offers next year. Thanks to all

Room Tip: Buy a ticket fotr buses 6 euro a week, this hotel is great for getting around the island you can jum...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 July 2014

When making the reservation, I specifically requested a bath tub and soya milk, if possible to be in our fridge on arrival. The pre-stay communication with this hotel was fantastic and they were happy to accommodate my needs.

When we got to the hotel, we had a to wait a little while after check-in time as our room hadn't been cleaned yet but the hotel staff were happy to look after our bags while we wandered around the town. When we got to our room I instantly checked the fridge for soya milk, as I was desperate for a cup of tea (being a typical English tea lover). I was disappointed to find there wasn't any in there but I thought not to worry, I'll just head to the shops and pick some up. A few minutes later reception called to check we had a special milk, and finding out we didn't they immediately put this right and sent some to our room.

We then went to check out the rooftop pool, it was deserted! There was no one up there, which was shocking considering the pool was amazing! It was quite small, you couldn't do laps but it is perfect for just relaxing and enjoying the peacefulness of the roof. The deck chairs were comfortable and the hotel offer a towel service, which is always handy. The views from the roof are amazing and I think in high seasons there is a bar but when we went, it just wasn't busy enough to have it open.

The room was fantastic. It was big with two balcony doors that open up to a wonderful sea view. We had a problem with our safe but we informed reception and they sent their security/handy man to fix it within half an hour of us reporting it. He was lovely and really helpful and fixed the problem straight away. Also when I tried to dry my bikini n the balcony, it blew off to the floor below and got stuck on their balcony, the staff were really helpful with this and managed to get it back for me.

The hotel is fantastic and the staff were really friendly and attentive. I would defiantly recommend this hotel, especially if you're looking for a nice relaxing stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Melissa M

Guest Relations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Paradise Bay Resort Hotel
Salini Resort
Salini Resort
#1 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!