“Quality relaxing time” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Beverley. East Yorkshire
“Quality relaxing time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2009

My partner and I booked this hotel for a quiet and relaxing break. On arrival we found we had been upgraded to a room over looking the garden and pool, this was lovely. The room was large airy and decorated in light tones, it was clean and fresh. The rest of the hotel I also found light clean and airy. We dined in both restaurants. The buffet dinner and breakfast are very good value for money and the food is to a very high standard, the pizzeria offers a good menu and is also to a high standard. The bar is open on a night and often has some entertainment.

The spa part of the hotel is very new. I had some treatments which were lovely and the spa itself is well worth a visit.

The Maritim was a splendid hotel and we found we had a wonderful relaxing break. I would not hesitiate to visit again.

• Liked — Clean, fresh and tasteful
  • Disliked — unable to really fault it
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MandaB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2009

Myself and my now husband got married in malta last june. 80 people came over with us from both ireland and england. Most of us stayed in the maritim hotel. We did not have our wedding or the reception in the hotel as we booked a villa in naxxar and used the beautiful st pauls church for the ceremony. We booked a suite and it was fantastic two huge bathrooms and a view over the pool. even though we did not get married in the hotel the staff could not do enough for us. All the guests enjoyed themselves the age group ranged from 8 years to 65. The restaraunt was amazing no matter how much we ate or drank it seemed to come to €30 a head. the chocolate cake was fantastic. The beach is a 20-30 walk down the road but the bus stops right outside the hotel and drops you off at the beach. very cheap. we rented a jeep off the hotel it was very old but i loved that jeep it was great crack driving up and down the hill with everyone haging on didnt cost much to rent either. there is a hotel bar across the road and this acted as the base for everyone you could drop by and there was always someone there. the night of the wedding the bar closed at 1am and everyone headed back to this bar and the owners kept it open especially. the thing i loved most about the location is its not touristy losts of the local live here it can be very quiet at night but you can get a taxi or mini bus into st pauls bay for dancing and the likes.

• Liked — relexed atmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2009

This hotel was quiet; however, there were a few challenges: the indoor pool for closed for renovations with no notice, difficulty going to the morning breakfast buffet if you didn't buy the half-board, and it was nearly an hour by bus to the city of Valletta. The room itself was very comfortable, clean, and quiet. The balcony streetside had a lovely view of the local church and there were several nearby sites worth walking to such as the church, seaside park, and the grotto.
The bus stop was only 1/2 block away and the fares are incredibly cheap. The hotel restaurant had good food and the cost was reasonable. The hotel desk staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Liked — The location gave me a chance to visit amongst the locals.
  • Disliked — It was a long bus ride to the main tourist sites in Valletta.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank MATaylor36
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2009

We found this a very beautiful hotel with modern facilities. It is quite far away from Valletta and it's not close to the beach. The sea view accomodation offers a quite far away view of the sea, and as it is close to a busy street, we would recommend the rooms with pool view in a higher floor for a quite and relaxing stay.

Plus
• The hotel is very beautiful with elegant colors
• Very good breakfast
• Restaurants at the hotel with reasonable prices
• Well located in Melieha near supermarkets, small shops, restaurants and bus stops.
• Clean Facilities

Mins
• Located far away from the beach
• Spa: we have serious doubts if there are qualified people working there based on personal experiences. Spa reception (lady with curly hair and light color eyes) just polite but not friendly.
• Dress code need to be clarified/defined (nude or swimming shorts) at the saunas as this is causing discussions among users. Naked users are confronted with conservative families with children. Naked users find anti hygienic that people use the saunas wearing bath clothes. There are no rules placed on the walls and spa reception doesn’t know how to deal with the situation, leaving it at the guest’s arguments.
• Inefficient system/procedures in the hotel. You are not well (or never) well informed in advance about how to proceed. Many things you need to pay in cash even being guests. You need to give 2, 50 Euros to the hotel receptionist in order to have the safe key borrowed. If you go to the sauna on the -1st floor you need to take 5 Euros in order to have a locker key borrowed (the money will be returned afterwards).
• Towels to be used in the sauna and swimming pool need to be taken at the hotel reception (and not spa) and returned at the same place as well which is quite inappropriate as after having the towels used we need to go to the hotel reception and in front of new guests or guests leaving, return the humid used towels (which will take your towels with bared hands…).
• Hotel reception need a training of how to approach and deal with guests (specially the male ones)
• Administration rules and procedures need to be reviewed as are not working efficiently
• We personally had an unpleasant situation with a male receptionist of the hotel Mr. Blanco. We found him quite impolite and unprofessional. The check-out time is 11:00am, at the moment that we showed up at the reception (11am sharply), he said to his female colleague “Alleluia”, and approaching the reception, we saw that he passed(throw) the check-out bill (already printed) to his female colleague. That is rude, we were on time and this is not an attitude to have in front of a guest that stayed there a full week! He behaved quite aggressively when we showed him that he had made a mistake on the bill. He rushed us to sign the incorrect bill saying: “sign there, sign there”. And didn’t want to give us the correct bill, which I said that I couldn’t pay an incorrect bill so he printed out a new one and passed it to us. Very impolite man.

The hotel has good potential. It’s a pity that few employees can easily damage the total image of the propriety. I hope that Maritime organization will take care of these issues in order to bring this hotel to the level that it deserves.
Besides these incidents, we loved our stay and the restaurant employees are extremely professional, kind, fast, hard workers.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Reception desk
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2008

I thought that I'd write a review especially as my father travelled with us who has reduced mobility, and from previous reviews I was worried that I had made the wrong decision to stay at the hotel, as it was deemed 'not suitable for those with disabilities'.

DISABLED FACILITIES:
My father walks with a walking frame on wheels (he doesn't use a wheelchair), and we found that the hotel was very accomodating for him; in terms of both the service and facilities. There were disabled toilets by the Al Ponte restaurant, and by the breakfast restaurant (on another floor), there is also a small wheelchair lift in order for residents to get into the hotel (reception), there also were ramps everywhere; to the pool, to the lounge bar.

The staff were also helpful; I 'phoned in advance to warn them that we would need a room with a walk-in shower, and not in the annex, and also for me to have an adjoining room to my parents. When we arrived we found that we were upgraded to a suite! Breakfast staff were also very good and reserved a table for us every morning by the buffet.

The only down-side I think would be that for those in a wheelchair, there are no rooms with a bathtub with a door. Also Mellieha itself is on a hill and it was not possible for my father to walk around Mellieha at all as the pavements were not wide/smooth.

STAFF/SERVICE:
Very friendly and willing to help. We asked several times at reception for them to call tours or restaurants to investigate whether they were suitable for my father, and also to book tables, which they did more than willingly. I also received a confirmation call (something that I didn't have at a 5* hotel once).
Staff also come around to clean the room/jacuzzi, who were very polite and helpful.
In general, Maltese people are very friend;y and willing to help.

HOTEL AMENITIES:
There are 3 pools; indoor, outdoor by the breakfast restaurant, and also a rooftop pool- so lots of space. They also have a spa with sauna and steam rooms, a gym, and classes on.
I would've liked a bigger selection of hotel restaurants, or at least better quality of food.
The bar was good and live music was played daily, at night.
Reception are also willing to help with advice, bookings and recommendations.

RESTAURANTS:
We ate at the Al Ponte restaurant twice, and both times unfortunately had very bad service. On quite a few occasions I had to do things myself, such as fetch the menus, chase where the food was, chase drinks, ask for the bill. They didn't get a tip!
The breakfast is quite varied and reasonable quality, although did become a little tiresome after 5 days. Staff were very good though (reasons mentioned above).
We also ate at Eureka (St Paul's Bay); excellent food, although service was sloooooow. But they did have a party of 15 in that night.
And as everyone says, we ate at the Arches, which was exceptional; food and service, but pricey.

RESORT OF MELLIEHA:
On a hill, not good for wheelcahirs/ those of reduced mobility, but otherwise a very pleasant town which has luckily escaped the tackiness of nearby resorts, such as Bugibba.
The hotel is quite far from the beach though, a 30 minute walk down quite a steep hill. It's not overly beautiful either (next to the main road).

MALTA:
Lovely island in general, with enough to see and do to keep you occupied. I would re-visit only though to get some more late-year sun, but other than that, I feel as if I saw all that I needed to during my time there.

DOWNSIDES:
I think that my blanket may have had bed-bugs, as I woke up a few nights scratching my arm, but reception were notified of this on my departure.
Could've been more restaurants with better quality food.
Shame that they don't make use of the pool area and have music and food served by the pool.
Long walk to the beach.

OVERVIEW:
I would recommend the Maritim Antonine Hotel; it is a good quality 4* hotel, (especially compared to a 4* in Bugibba which looked terrible). Service and amenities are good, there's a bus-stop right outide, or car rental places over the road- we hired from Drifter and had no problems.

If you go, enjoy your stay!

• Liked — Amount of pools and the sauna and steam rooms
  • Disliked — Restaurant choice and food quality
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank MLRobertson
Brighton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2008

We stayed at the Maritim for a week end of Sep / start of Oct and really loved it! The hotel is lovely, spacious and clean. We paid the extra for a deluxe room to get a balcony which is definitely worth it - we had views over the village and towards the sea. Our room was lovely, very spacious, with TV, sofa, a safe you can set to your own code in the room, and a lovely marble and white bathroom with a great power shower. The room was immaculately cleaned every day. The hotel is on a central street in Mellieha so very easy to get to plenty of restaurants nearby - we especially liked the Hilltop Restaurant, and Ta Randi and the Hotel's pizzeria are good too. There are not many bars in Mellieha so it was great to have the mini bar (same price as buying drinks in the bar) in our room and a balcony to sit and enjoy a tipple in the evening! The hotel breakfast is great, everything you could possibly want - we are both vegetarian and found there was plenty of selection for us. The hotel pools also are lovely, especially the garden pool which is very peaceful, plenty of sunbeds and sunny or shady spots surrounded by the gardens which are lovely - there are even some sofa seating areas amongst the gardens if you seek them out and some friendly local cats! Neither of the outdoor pools are heated but we found it was hot enough that the cool water was lovely to be in! The hotel is a 20 min or so walk to the beach, and it is very easy to get a bus - this is handy as it is quite a steep hill up from the beach in the heat!! We would definitely go to this hotel and to Mellieha again.

• Liked — Great room with great views
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank BrightonBeagle
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2008

We had an excellent time at the Maritim - the hotel staff were v friendly, the rooms and facilities were all clean, and of a high standard.

The location of the hotel is good for restuaraunts in Mellieha, and about a 30min walk from the beach down the hill (or 2 mins by bus) The buses run really frequently, even on Sunday's, so it's easy to get round the island that way. If travelling by taxi, we paid 28 euros from the airport to get to the hotel.

The hotel has three pools, indoor, garden, and rooftop. The rooftop bar is closed at the mo for anyone going in the next few weeks.

We went for the bed and breakfast option - the breaksfast had a good choice of fruits, fried foods (eggs, sausages etc) fresh breads, cakes and cereals, so lots to choose from. We paid extra to have dinner at the hotel - which is 12 euros each for a buffet. Again we found plenty of choice, and the food was nice (I so recommend the Madeira cake) We also ate at Randy's, which was quite good, and Guiseppe's, which I wouldn't recommend (we waited over an hour just for our starters of pasta, and when they arrived they really weren't anything special)

• Liked — The pools, the staff and the food
  • Disliked — I didn't mind it personally, but people with walking difficulties could find it difficult to get around the resort
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple