“Great food accompanied by impeccable service”

Commando Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 112 Restaurants in Mellieha
Price range: US$24 - US$41
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Open for Dinner. Commando is a restaurant and wine bar housed within a 300-year old stone building that has been the workplace of our forefathers for over 80 years. Chef Damian Ciappara draws inspiration from his surroundings, using fresh local ingredients to create simple yet elegant dishes. We work closely with local producers to deliver a seasonally influenced menu that celebrates Mediterranean flavours. Fresh fish/seafood, tender meats, sun ripened vegetables, rustic pasta dishes, and homemade desserts.
Island of Gozo, Malta
“Great food accompanied by impeccable service”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

where shall i start..... the staff was extremely welcoming and exceptionally well mannered, offering helpful advice and careful explanation for all our questions. nothing felt rushed and immediately they make you feel relaxed and pampered.

the menu, although not very vast, offers so many tempting dishes that what was planned to be a quick one plate dinner, ended up into a full three course meal, just so that we could try at least two other dishes.

once presented, the food didn't disappoint - everything was fresh and perfectly cooked. We could tell that the food had been prepared with high quality ingredients.

definitely a restaurant i'll recommend, and which i'll be returning to

• Visited January 2014

Ruthin, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Fantastic atmosphere with food and service to match. Great and varied choice on the menu, all fresh and cooked to perfection. Faultless. Worth a visit, this was the best part of my trip to Malta

Visited January 2014
Siggiewi, Malta
“A scrumptious New Year's eve dinner”
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

I am not a fan of dining out on days like Valentine's day, Christmas and New year's eve however this time round we did want to go out for a good meal where we were sure the standards would be just as good (or even better) than any other day. With these expectations in mind we were confident that Commando Restaurant would be right place to go to.
Our high expectations were exceeded. There were seven of us and after each course we were all raving about how good our choice of food was.
The team at Commando are all very friendly and professional and full of smiles.
We are eager for our next meal there. Keep up the fantastic work!

Visited December 2013
Malta
“The drive to Mellieha never felt so worth it”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I visited this restaurant based on the highly positive reviews on TripAdvisor, and believe me the other reviewers were right!

I can really praise everything in this restaurant. The restaurant is quite small, laid out on two rooms. The place is beautifully laid out, with cushioned sofas lining the walls (some diners get to sit on these) and with limestone walls giving off a rustic feel.

On with the food... if I had to use one word to describe it --> Heavenly. The calamari fritti starter was among the best I ate. Believe me when I say that this plate would be ample for two people. I subsequently went for the Veal cutlet with pine nut and Parmesan crust. The meat was exquisitely tender, I left the degree of doneness to the chef, and I was not wrong. My girlfriend chose the duck breast and according to her it was the best dish she ever tasted from a restaurant. I do agree with her that this was one of the best meals we ever ate at a restaurant in Malta. The dessert (chocolate fondant) was also very good, and we really liked it as well. Again it was among the best (although Trabuxu's Apple crumble still keeps it top place in my list of best desserts I tasted).

The serving staff was impeccable.

Value: It is not cheap, but believe me every cent spent is well worth the money. The above meal along with a glass of wine, and other drinks and tips totaled 70 euros.

We were offered complementary appetizers at the start of the meal as well.

• Visited December 2013
Valletta, Malta
“A gem in the heart of Mellieha.”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I visited this gem of a restaurant on a Saturday night together with my partner and four friends. The food was divine, from start to finish. We had a mix of starters to begin with; the chicken liver pate and the gnocchi with tartufo and pancetta stealing the show. We were then served with the most succulent of lamb and beef cuts, presented artistically with delicious variations of vegetables and potatoes. Desserts, including lemon panacotta, the local ‘imqaret’ and chocolate fondant, were scrumptious.

The restaurant is located in a quaint square in Mellieha. It’s interior is tastefully styled, comfortable and cosy. The restaurant staff very attentive and efficient, offering an impeccable service all the way through the meal. The prices are reasonable considering the quality of the food and the overall extremely pleasant experience.

Truly recommended.